PDA

View Full Version : Space Hulk: Space Marines or Genestealers?

Grapeshot
20-08-2009, 14:45
I'm thinking, whether more players will prefer to play with Space Marines or Genestealers. Personally I prefer the marines and will use them most of the time. How about you?

StefDa
20-08-2009, 14:50
I voted Marines, but for no real reason other than they're Terminators and the models are gorgeous. I'm new to Space Hulk, so I don't have any specific preferences yet.

Forgotmytea
20-08-2009, 14:50
I'm more of a genestealer person, if I ever did get a copy. Blame it on watching Aliens one too many times ;)

Lotoc_Sabbath
20-08-2009, 14:51
Absolutely no preference-space hulk is wonderful in both sides:
SM-you never know how many genestealer are there and that makes the game just awesome. :skull:
GENESTEALER-absolutely fun playing with them and slaughtering the marines!:evilgrin::evilgrin:

SPACE HULK IS AWESOME REMEMBER

Aurellis
20-08-2009, 14:54
Genestealers.

You can love them, care for them, paint them up and point them in the right direction but they'll only rip your heart out.

ashc
20-08-2009, 14:55
Space Hulk is awesome and fast-paced. I pretty much always used to play it so that when we finished up we would play it over again, but swapping sides anyway so you both got to play as the marines and the genestealers.

Abaddonshand
20-08-2009, 14:57
I've played 2 games with the new set, one as marines and one as stealers, and won them both. I'm perfectly happy with either side. For introducing others to the game though, I would play marines, as stealers are easier to get to grips with, as they don't have things like weapon variants, overwatch et al.

Condottiere
20-08-2009, 14:58
Never liked 'nids - have to go with the Marines.

edward3h
20-08-2009, 14:59
Haven't played it myself. But I heard that it's quick enough that a good way to play is to do it twice, swapping sides, and see who does better as the Marines.

Souleater
20-08-2009, 15:41
I voted Genestealers.

One of the proud few.

shadow hunter
20-08-2009, 15:51
I've not played the game before (played space crusade - but that was a long time ago and cant remember it).

If one were to play marines, and then you swapped over, wouldn't the second player know where to go etc to complete the mission - as he had already seen the first marine player complete the level (or whatever).

Ancelyn1331
21-08-2009, 19:51
Marines all the way. Cleanse and purify the Xenos filth.

Big Ned
21-08-2009, 20:53
Stealers for me.

I've always loved stealers, even had a Cult army way back in 40k 2nd ed.

genestealer_baldric
21-08-2009, 20:56
my answer is fairly obvious :)

AndrewGPaul
22-08-2009, 10:00
I've not played the game before (played space crusade - but that was a long time ago and cant remember it).

If one were to play marines, and then you swapped over, wouldn't the second player know where to go etc to complete the mission - as he had already seen the first marine player complete the level (or whatever).

Well, since the Marine player gets to see the mission briefing before the game anyway, it won't make any difference. I suppose he'll maybe see a winning tactic, but then the other player will also know the winning tactic ('cos he came up with it).

Grapeshot
22-08-2009, 11:22
The winning tactic might not work twice. That's the trick.

neXus6
23-08-2009, 01:46
Both for me.
Marines for feeling the fear, Stealers for causing it.
:D

ReveredChaplainDrake
23-08-2009, 04:21
Stealers for the ease of victory. I've been playing nothing but Suicide Mission all day because that's all the LGS had space to set up. Compound that with the fact that everybody was just getting a handle on the rules pretty much on the fly (turns out the Terminators were not quite as bad off as we feared when actually reading the rules ourselves), and the Terminators were nearly impossible to win with. But I still prefer the Terminators because Overwatching an entire corridor of Genestealers to death is incredibly gratifying. Even more gratifying is when a Terminator smashes a Genestaeler in the face in melee. The whole thing feels like a board game FPS when you use the Termies.

Despite being the Tyranid fanboy that I am, I would have to go with the Terminators in the end.

Hicks
24-08-2009, 03:18
I play both SM and Nids, so I really don't have a preference. I plan to turn the terminator into members of my own chapter, so I would have prefered generic termies, but I'm glad that out of all the official chapters GW decided to use the Blood Angels.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
24-08-2009, 19:15
Space Hulk is awesome and fast-paced. I pretty much always used to play it so that when we finished up we would play it over again, but swapping sides anyway so you both got to play as the marines and the genestealers.

This is the only way to do it...

nedius
24-08-2009, 20:28
I never really thought that it was the marines who had the hard time of it. For me, it was always the stealers who have the challenge.

Stealers are a one trick pony. Looking at 3rd Ed, terminators have a variety of tactics available - they can shoot, overwatch, guard, use different ranged weapons, different CC weapons, psychic powers etc. With good positioning, you can create fire lanes, choke points, cross fires, defensive perimiters... Genestealers, on the otherhand, are just good at CC. They really are at a strong disadvantage, even with the numbers. After playing the missions several times, the marines have it pretty easy, as they know where to go, and when.

Made the stealer's job a lot more tactical, as they can't rely on fancy gadgets to win through!

Lord Zso Sahaal
24-08-2009, 20:53
Not worried either way, never played it before and it looks great from both sides :)
Cant wait for it!

Sahaal

Bregalad
24-08-2009, 20:54
The game wants you to swap sides, but as a Tyranid player I prefer the Genestealers OM NOM NOM NOM ;)

blagmasterg
25-08-2009, 08:02
I played my first game with the new rules yesterday in my local GW and I played as Genestealers - absolutely fantastic fun. So I have voted no preference. The beauty of SH for me is that the natural impulse is to play as the badass dudes in big armour with big guns, but the rules make playing as either side enormously and equally fun.

Wimvh
26-08-2009, 12:39
Stealers are a one trick pony. Looking at 3rd Ed, terminators have a variety of tactics available - they can shoot, overwatch, guard, use different ranged weapons, different CC weapons, psychic powers etc. With good positioning, you can create fire lanes, choke points, cross fires, defensive perimiters... Genestealers, on the otherhand, are just good at CC. They really are at a strong disadvantage, even with the numbers. After playing the missions several times, the marines have it pretty easy, as they know where to go, and when.

Made the stealer's job a lot more tactical, as they can't rely on fancy gadgets to win through!

Agreed. Just rushing the stealers gets them splattered across the wall really quickly.

Then again, I just love maneuvering my Terminators across the corridors, setting them up for maximum fire lanes, shooting bulkheads to rob the Stealers' cover, firing the Assault Cannon across a corridor :evilgrin:... Hmmmm! Marines all the way! :D

commandergabriel
26-08-2009, 17:16
Remember; stealers don't have to commit every square to move... They can move 3 squares to simply get them 3 squares closer; especially if a terminator is on guard/overwatch. (i.e. It becomes a strategy for the stealers to push their luck only so far with the 1st stealer; stop the 1st stealer as he gets close to the marine; then fill in the rest of the stealers behind the 1st.)

The stealers go splat when they treat each model separately and not think about overwhelming. Use one stealer to get the rest into position and the marines are toast! Its this tension that makes the game great! I hope that makes sense.

As for the poll; I voted Marines. I loved playing both sides in 1st and 2nd eds. but there is something about the new stealer scuplts that makes it hard for me to get over. The models themselves are awesome, but the fact that there is a stealer climbing out of the floor (no matter where he goes on the game board) that is just a little weird for me. Same goes for the stealers climbing over the walls. It feels as though I'll be playing a game with diorahmas rather than with stealers...

I'm on the fence here people, someone push me over onto the side of loving them just as I do the marine sculpts!

Ancelyn1331
26-08-2009, 17:26
The Stealer pops up from the floor, looking very "Aliens". Replace that stealer with a more generic model when it comes to movement. Simples.

ted1138
26-08-2009, 17:58
'stealers, as there's nothing like pilling on the preasure and watching the marines player crack.

Melchor
27-08-2009, 04:33
No preference... Both are great fun to play. Genestealers are fun because you get to be an evil b*stard. Terminators are fun because of the challenge. Of course, you have to swap sides after each game to get the most out of it. :)