PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins...

Mythrider
24-08-2009, 17:26
Been running Ebay searches since the official Space Hulk announcement; found my first one today.

Online store with 8 copies. Selling them for $200 USD plus S&H. We all knew this was coming.

Glad I pre-ordered mine already!

I believe in a free market and all but does anyone else have a problem with this; selling something you don't even have yet at double the regular price.

The only positive I can see is it might cause GW to make a few more copies.

HsojVvad
24-08-2009, 17:31
Is it even legal to sell something before it's even out, and released?

Condottiere
24-08-2009, 17:35
Only if they can't deliver.

Max Jet
24-08-2009, 17:36
Simple

Don't buy it. They had to pay money to obtain it. Don't buy it and make it a loss for them. The only language they speak. If anyone pays 200 Dollars for it, it's his own fault.

Dangersaurus
24-08-2009, 17:42
Been running Ebay searches since the official Space Hulk announcement; found my first one today.

Online store with 8 copies. Selling them for $200 USD plus S&H. We all knew this was coming.

Glad I pre-ordered mine already!

I believe in a free market and all but does anyone else have a problem with this; selling something you don't even have yet at double the regular price.

The only positive I can see is it might cause GW to make a few more copies.

Well, they've got a "Or Best Offer" going on it... time to inundate them with $20 offers.

HsojVvad
24-08-2009, 17:42
Can't you leave comments on the site, and saying how ridiculous it is and can tell potential customers it can be bought for half the price at a GW store, or by mail order anyways?

Mythrider
24-08-2009, 17:44
On the other hand, all the people who were selling their old copies of Space Hulk for $100-150 2 weeks ago have dropped their prices to the $20-30 range.

Good savings on a great game if you don`t need the latest and greatest.

HsojVvad
24-08-2009, 17:47
Where is the link? Maybe we can all over pennies on his games, to teach them a lesson.

Funny only aloud one copy, and he gets 8. Guess someone always gets around the system.

Dangersaurus
24-08-2009, 17:50
Can't you leave comments on the site, and saying how ridiculous it is and can tell potential customers it can be bought for half the price at a GW store, or by mail order anyways?

You could try to word something like that into "Ask the seller a question," and if the seller answers it publicly it will show up on the auction page, but the seller would have to be a complete fool to do that.

A feature where the seller didn't have control over it would be a bad idea, since anyone with a grudge (or a bad sense of humor and too much time on their hands) could vandalize listings.

jlmb_123
24-08-2009, 18:15
There's two copies on ebay uk, and you actually save cash compared to the RRP (1.50 and 50p saved respectively). The original versions are still up at the eighty quid mark.
Incidentally, what are the differences in the versions of Space Hulk? I know the current version is a remodelled version of the previous edition, but what about the original edition. Beyond the creatures available (I know Hybrids were in one edition), what are the variations in the rules, if any?

Dr. Hellbeast
24-08-2009, 18:28
I used to do a bit of online ticket touting through eBay. I made a bit and lost a bit. I couldn't help feeling a bit scummy when the price rocketed above what I'd paid for them.

I wouldn't do it now.

I worked out I felt it was wrong to benefit from the fact that some poor schmo just couldn't get hold of something at the time it was officially released and was now willing to pay a premium.

Lord Merlin
24-08-2009, 18:44
We are capitalists. Supply and demand. They have supply, some people generate a demand. Laissez-faire

Vepr
24-08-2009, 18:53
I don't have a problem with it. He will make some extra money and when all the pre-orders run out there will be people glad to have those copies even at double the cost. Win - win.

LittleLeadMen
24-08-2009, 19:24
Where is the link? Maybe we can all over pennies on his games, to teach them a lesson.

Funny only aloud one copy, and he gets 8. Guess someone always gets around the system.

Who's "getting around" the system? I ordered 2 copies online direct from GW. Just to check, I ordered 8 copies via the GW website (cancelled it out), but it allowed it.

So, how are these seller's "getting around" any systems? They aren't.

wilycoyote
24-08-2009, 19:27
I know there are ways around it, but I am surprised given GW's supposed one copy per customer rule that some individuals - not registered stockists can promise to sell ten copies.

Really makes me wonder if this is marketing hype by GW. "Owing to demand we have arranged asecond run....for our loyal long paying customers..."

In the meantime I am more than happy to hunt down the now reasonably priced 1st edition.

jlmb_123
24-08-2009, 19:27
Just to re-iterate what's been said by the last couple of posters, the 'limited' part of the deal is that each store is limited to a certain amoount of copies, no individual is limited until such time as the game runs out.

spetswalshe
24-08-2009, 19:43
Well, half the people on Warseer seem to have ordered two copies. Let he who is without Space Hulk cast the first flame.

Matt121
24-08-2009, 19:50
They are allowed to sell it before its released but you won't receive it before its released; thats how they get around that one. GW used to have a very strict ebay policy, has that fallen by the wayside? Also as for people being ripped off? Unfortunately thats the nature of the beast. If somebody wants something so bad they're prepared to pay for it. Can everyone here who ordered 2+ copies honestly say that the extra copies won't end up on ebay...? I was tempted to order 2 copies for myself, i did but 1 is for a friend who really wants it but couldn't afford it due to recently becoming unemployed.

Dr. Hellbeast
24-08-2009, 19:52
I only bought one copy. Would have liked to buy two to store one away for posterity, but cash flow prohibited that.

Would have been nice to have whipped out a mint box for the grandkids in 30 years. :D

Mannimarco
24-08-2009, 20:01
i myself have ordered 2 copies, not to gouge anybody or sell them on for a massive profit (yet)

truth be told i'll play one and let the other gather dust in the attic for years, its what i do with most of my limited edition stuff

TeddyC
24-08-2009, 20:08
but no body has you will receive it before release....

I pre ordered one copy.... if my circumstances change between now and delivery date I may very sell it 'mint and sealed' when the limited run has ended.

If they dont change I will delve into it like a tramp on a half eaten kebab.

The Custodian
24-08-2009, 20:13
Well, half the people on Warseer seem to have ordered two copies. Let he who is without Space Hulk cast the first flame.

Ok...

I hope they all rot in heck, I want SH, but I have to get it on the day of release since my funds are tied up... ANd even then it has to be late in the day...

Bunch of greedy bum :mad:

Vepr
24-08-2009, 20:30
Ok...

I hope they all rot in heck, I want SH, but I have to get it on the day of release since my funds are tied up... ANd even then it has to be late in the day...

Bunch of greedy bum :mad:

I will hold your copy for you for the small sum of 1 million dollars!

http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_movies_actors/film_images/Austin_Powers_Mike_Myers_as_Dr_Evil.jpg

iFelix
24-08-2009, 20:34
Incidentally, what are the differences in the versions of Space Hulk? I know the current version is a remodelled version of the previous edition, but what about the original edition. Beyond the creatures available (I know Hybrids were in one edition), what are the variations in the rules, if any?

According to the new WD, the new rules are in fact based on the original version and not the previous version.

Takes the best bits of the original expansions and the second edition too.

TeddyC
24-08-2009, 20:35
does it say you will get said copy before release date if you pay 200 from these online sellers?

BobtheInquisitor
25-08-2009, 01:53
I only have one copy on order, but if there some extras still available in November, especially at Indie store prices, then I will buy a second just to convert the models. I couldn't in good conscience buy a box just to take up room in my storage space.

HsojVvad
25-08-2009, 04:08
Who's "getting around" the system? I ordered 2 copies online direct from GW. Just to check, I ordered 8 copies via the GW website (cancelled it out), but it allowed it.

So, how are these seller's "getting around" any systems? They aren't.

I am just going by what I was told, at GW, that only one per customer.

ReveredChaplainDrake
25-08-2009, 05:13
You get around the "1 per customer" rule by either giving a friend / relative your credit card and asking them to place your order, or you go to a second store. It's classic McDonalds gift certificate abuse tactics. Even if there was such a one-per-person rule (from the stores I've seen there isn't one) there are ways to get around it.

I really don't see the point in keeping one Space Hulk around to gather dust and accumulate value until you can sell it for triple the original cost. If you were actually going to string the two sets of boards together to make some mega-super-ultra-megabattle, having two or more SH sets wouldn't be quite as wasteful, but it seems the general fate of SH set #2-8 is lint-gathering and ebay fodder in a decade or so.

For a similar personal example, I've still got everything from the 1987 Chainsaw Warrior except the Endurance counter and the original box. And even if I could sell it, for whatever ridiculous value it might have accumulated by now, I'd never sell it. Not only is it classic GW in everything it does (only GW could treat a chainsaw like a military-grade close combat weapon) but my dad and I used to play it all the time when I was a lot younger. And I still play it from time to time.

StefDa
25-08-2009, 05:24
If they dont change I will delve into it like a tramp on a half eaten kebab.

You made me smile. That doesn't happen often because of fora :P

Mr.Rotty
25-08-2009, 10:20
I have a feeling space hulk is going to be like the big tasty at mcdonalds...only not as tasty.
As in they just keep re-releasing the "Limited Edition" bundle every now and again, "just because we're nice"

Netherghoul
25-08-2009, 10:49
Greed ftw it seems

Lord Malorne
25-08-2009, 10:56
People who buy more than one copy to sell the extras for a profit are bad (i'm phrasing that lightly) but those who buy more than one and only play one while storing the rest are far worse.

The game is meant to be played.

New Cult King
25-08-2009, 12:35
Greed ftw it seems

The wonders of capitalism :rolleyes:

I just hope there's enough in stock that I'll get the single copy I ordered.

Mannimarco
25-08-2009, 12:50
i cant find any of them on ebay now, there was an advace order for 44 with 9 postage but it seems to have been pulled, price gauging is nothing new, its always existed in all walks of life, from that guy who buys run down houses, patches them up and sells them on to that guy who hangs out outside stadiums selling concert tickets

that guy who buys cars then sells them

the guy who goes to a car boot sale, buys something cheap then sticks it on ebay

do these people feel ashamed at what they do? does this person feel ashamed?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GW-OOP-throned-genestealer-patriarch-space-hulk_W0QQitemZ200375223919QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_To ys_Wargames_RL?hash=item2ea74b466f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

is this a bad person (im phrasing it lightly)

so i bought 2 and may sell one at some point down the line, am i a bad person? im i somehow stealing somthing from the "real fans"

Vepr
25-08-2009, 13:31
Looking to make some money off a limited product does not automatically make someone greedy just opportunistic. Limited quantity with high demand means higher prices later on of course but the inflated prices will mean there will still be some copies out there for you if you are willing to pay the higher prices. That is better than no availability at all in my opinion. Like any system capitalism has its flaws but if it was not for capitalism we would not have GW or 40K.

altwaev
25-08-2009, 13:55
I think the people who intend to resell these at a profit are going to be very disappointed unless they hold on to them for 5 or 10 years.

Lord Malorne
25-08-2009, 14:09
I think the people who intend to resell these at a profit are going to be very disappointed unless they hold on to them for 5 or 10 years.

I think you are going to be disappointed...

Dangersaurus
25-08-2009, 15:52
i cant find any of them on ebay now, there was an advace order for 44 with 9 postage but it seems to have been pulled, price gauging is nothing new, its always existed in all walks of life, from that guy who buys run down houses, patches them up and sells them on to that guy who hangs out outside stadiums selling concert tickets

that guy who buys cars then sells them

the guy who goes to a car boot sale, buys something cheap then sticks it on ebay

do these people feel ashamed at what they do? does this person feel ashamed?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GW-OOP-throned-genestealer-patriarch-space-hulk_W0QQitemZ200375223919QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_To ys_Wargames_RL?hash=item2ea74b466f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

is this a bad person (im phrasing it lightly)

so i bought 2 and may sell one at some point down the line, am i a bad person? im i somehow stealing somthing from the "real fans"

If you're asking yourself, you probably know the answer. Every person except the scalpers (even the yard sale goer) are providing some sort of service to the consumer who wants what they have. The scalpers (of tickets and space hulk) are just creating scarcity that they will themselves take advantage of later. If the only reason a shortage exists is because you created the shortage? You're scum (not in the specific sense of "you," of course, I'm sure you're a sterling example of humanity.)

I'm a capitalist through and through, but you have to temper it with morals, or you just end up a hollow person who only lives for money and not what it brings.

Souleater
25-08-2009, 19:57
I think you are going to be disappointed...

Given the large numbers in this limited edition he may not be. I believe that there are going to be enough copies to go round.

However, after a couple of years as people lose or damage bits then there may well be an increase in the price.

I'm not sure it will reach 'crazy prices' for quite some time, however.

Mannimarco
25-08-2009, 22:02
Dangersaurus: good thing about that "not you in the specific sense" part was added, was about to take major offence to that

id like to think im a pretty typical description of humanity in that i like money, i enjoy the concept of having expendable income which i can fritter away on impulse buys (i wouldnt have been in this hobby for the past 12 years or so if i wasnt liberal with money)

there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying to sell, the reason this shortage exists is because the company has had its "super mega secret surprise that you absolutely must have!!!!!!" its been hyped up to death (by the fans) and because its a limited release of course people are going to buy a lot of them to sell at a profit, GW must have realised this when they made their super secret a limited run item

if it was put up for general release there wouldnt be the same hype but there wouldnt be the same level of profiteering we are going to see when its released

im sure many people will be doing the same thing, buying to sell,, theyre just not going to admit to it (i cant really blame anybody that doesnt want to admit to it, scalpers are scum after all)

theres actually quite a lot i want to keep from the second box so ill list some things individually somtime down the line, id like to think thats what makes me different from the "limited edition space hulk, buy it now for 200" the fact that ill be selling the individual pieces i have no need for, im going to want to keep the board sections and most of the terminators and nids but i dont really need 2 librarians or 2 broodlords, these will be the first thing to be sold (as austions, not buy it nows so the people can bid what they want without feeling ripped off)

altwaev
04-09-2009, 15:46
Interesting...

Looks like people parting out the models and game pieces separately are already making 50%-100% profit. Nothing wrong with doing that imo.

ted1138
06-09-2009, 08:16
200.00? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Space-Hulk_W0QQitemZ220476564198QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_To ys_Wargames_RL?hash=item33556d62e6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14