PDA

View Full Version : Summary of Rule Changes

Jagged
25-08-2009, 11:38
Since this was frequently asked in the rumor thread I thought it was only reasonable to post a summary here:

Flamer
Like 1st Ed and effects a section/tile not a square and lasts till start of SM's next turn. However genestealers that survive are NOT free to move within the flamed section and must now roll again for each flamed square they move into. No mention of a reload.

Overwatch
Like 1st and 2nd Ed except all jammed tokens automatically vanish at the start of the SM's next turn. You stilll have to pay Command Points to unjam during the 'stealers turn. However clearing a jammed bolter also returns you to overwatch.

Also Overwatch now gets a continuous fire bonus and kills 'stealers on a second and subsequent roll on 5 or more. Overwatch has become much more lethal :)

Guard
New. Overwatch for close combat. Allows SM player to re-roll close combat dice.

Brood Lord
What no Patriarch? I'm still calling mine Pat :p Pat requires two simultanous hits to kill for ranged combat and for close combat rolls 3 dice and adds the lowest and highest to get his combat score! *gulp* Thats an average result of 7 and more than most SM's can ever roll. :D

Assault Cannon
No critical explosion on rolling a triple until after a reload (thx L Squinty) :)

Timer/Command Points
Due I imagine to the fact that the game comes with an egg timer the duration of the SM players turn is now fixed unlike the 1st ED where you got 2 minutes the 30 seconds for each living sgt or captain. In the new edition having a live Sgt allows you to re-select your command point chip if you don't like what you got.

Librarian
In 1stEd Deathwing Librarians got 10, 20, 30 or 40 psi points per game and could add as many as the want to their +1 close combat roll. In the new game they get 20 points BUT can add them after their close combat roll (thx Patriarch) so no waste!

Chainfist
Now automatically destroys doors for an AP.

Lightning Claws
Now 2D6+1

Stealer Movement
Stealers pay 1AP to move sideways, not two. "Free turn" is now part of the action, rather than a discrete action - this cuts down on potential overwatch shots.

Stealer Blips
Stealer blips once used are now placed into a discarded pile. Once all are used up the discarded pile is shuffled and you start again.

Shooting into Rooms
Unless standing at the entrance to a room or inside the room a SM may only see/shoot into the squares directly infront of him.

Lord_Squinty
25-08-2009, 11:49
Assault Cannon
No critical explosion on rolling a triple :)

Look again ;)

Once it has been reloaded it explodes on a triple :cries:

Leeman Russ
25-08-2009, 11:52
I like how they mention on the same page that an Assault Cannon will not jam when firing on overwatch ("it's built for rapid fire" they say), then state not three paragraphs later that it can malfunction if used continuously...

Jagged
25-08-2009, 12:06
Look again ;)

Once it has been reloaded it explodes on a triple :cries:

Oh good. Will update.

AndrewGPaul
25-08-2009, 12:26
I like how they mention on the same page that an Assault Cannon will not jam when firing on overwatch ("it's built for rapid fire" they say), then state not three paragraphs later that it can malfunction if used continuously...

Well, that's simple. It's built for rapid fire, not rapid continuous fire. Note it will never malfunction until after it's reloaded.

zedeyejoe
25-08-2009, 12:54
Note it will never malfunction until after it's reloaded.

Someone is going to pay for that sub-standard ammo :)

BTW the new rules (3rd edition) sound fine. I was not a fan of the 2nd edition game. I should also say Space Hulk back, a bit of a minor miracle.

Patriarch
25-08-2009, 16:55
Flamers get 1 reload (as per the example game in WD).

Marines can no longer perform a 180 degree turn (with or without shooting) as a single action.

Stealers pay 1AP to move sideways, not two. "Free turn" is now part of the action, rather than a discrete action - this cuts down on potential overwatch shots.

Librarian in close combat: Psi points are chosen after the dice are rolled.

"Doors" are now "bulkheads" - don't know how this impacts upon chainfists and the like.

Assault cannon can now complete some missions (Cleanse & Burn) previously only achievable by flamer.

Lightning claws are 2D6+1, not 2D6+2.

Storm shield negates highest stealer dice, rather than allowing a re-roll (not sure about this one, picked up from another thread).

Overwatch
Brood Lord
What no Patriarch? I'm still calling mine Pat :p
Correct!

Jagged
26-08-2009, 11:02
Cheers. Updated first post.

Starblayde
26-08-2009, 11:30
"Doors" are now "bulkheads" - don't know how this impacts upon chainfists and the like.

Chainfists auto-destroy doors, otherwise a roll of 6 is required (not sure if it's natural or subject to modifiers). Stealers can destroy doors, too, on the same score.

Comical moment in the second mission where one Terminator's entire contribution (in this mission the squad is isolated into different rooms) walked along, auto-destroyed two doors and promptly got ganked by the first Stealer to come along around the corner.

Storm shield negates highest stealer dice, rather than allowing a re-roll (not sure about this one, picked up from another thread).

Storm shield reduces the Stealer attack to 2D6, rather than 3D6 (unless that kid read the rules wrong! :D) but it didn't seem to help too much, as he survived all of two turns of combat, hehe.

Jagged
04-09-2009, 10:40
I actually forgot one of the "Big" changes:

Genestealer Blip Selection
With the latest edition used/converted blips are no longer returned to the pot to be selected again but put to one side until all your blips have been used up. This means that if you get all 3s at the start you will have a plague of 1s towards the end.

It also means the end of one old tactic we used to use as 'stealer players of moving any 1 blips to "dead" areas of the board and leaving them their so that we got a higher probability of selecting 3s. Oh well ;)

Patriarch
04-09-2009, 23:16
I actually forgot one of the "Big" changes:
Genestealer Blip Selection
With the latest edition used/converted blips are no longer returned to the pot to be selected again but put to one side until all your blips have been used up. This means that if you get all 3s at the start you will have a plague of 1s towards the end.
I thought that was always the way it was played. Was the other way a 2nd ed thing?

It also means the end of one old tactic we used to use as 'stealer players of moving any 1 blips to "dead" areas of the board and leaving them their so that we got a higher probability of selecting 3s. Oh well ;)
You can still do that! The stack is only made up of the available blips, any left on the board aren't available.

mattjgilbert
05-09-2009, 10:05
I started a summary thread earlier :p We have picked up on some of the same things it looks like.
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218073

Flamers get 1 reload (as per the example game in WD).Flamers do not get a reload. The WD game doesn't say they get a reload?? Assault cannons get one reload though.

Jagged
07-09-2009, 13:28
I started a summary thread earlier :p

You started it later, but as I said, more the merrier ;)

You can still do that! The stack is only made up of the available blips, any left on the board aren't available.

I suppose you can, just takes a little longer to get the benefit.

AndrewGPaul
07-09-2009, 13:59
One important rule change that hasn't been mentioned:

In 1st and 2nd edition, a Marine has a 180degree LOS, but only a 90degree Fire Arc. In 3rd edition, LOS and Fire Arc are now synonymous, a 90degree arc. This makes it a little easier for a 'stealer to sneak up on a Marine without him being able to spend CPs.

Jagged
07-09-2009, 19:25
One important rule change that hasn't been mentioned:

In 1st and 2nd edition, a Marine has a 180degree LOS, but only a 90degree Fire Arc. In 3rd edition, LOS and Fire Arc are now synonymous, a 90degree arc. This makes it a little easier for a 'stealer to sneak up on a Marine without him being able to spend CPs.

Another important change related to LOS is shooting into rooms.
Page 13 of the new rule book states that unless a SM is standing in the entrance to the room he can only see the squares directly infront of him.

I was quite surprised by this rule change and had to read it twice just to be sure ;) I guess 3rd Edition 'Stealers are better at hidding in the shadows ;)

FerociousBeast
08-09-2009, 20:54
What rules are straight up missing from this edition? I seem to remember that if you rolled hits with both storm bolter dice, that you would kill the genestealer behind your target as well if they were adjacent.

AndrewGPaul
08-09-2009, 23:04
That was only 2nd edition. This new version is based on 1st edition (although in 1st edition, the sustained fire bonus accumulated to 3+ if you fired for 4 consecutive actions).

The LOS rules don't cover looking up or down a ladder. Marines do not go prone from falling down a ladder (they lose APs instead).

Patriarch
09-09-2009, 13:35
Another change from 1st ed (I think) is that in order to get sustained fire, your orginal shot had to be standing still as well.
So 1st action - move and fire.
2nd action - stand and fire.
3rd action - stand and fire (with sustained bonus)
4th action - stand and fire (with sustained bonus) etc.

In 3rd ed you start getting the sustained fire bonus as soon as you stop moving:
So 1st action - move and fire.
2nd action - stand and fire (with sustained bonus)
3rd action - stand and fire (with sustained bonus)
4th action - stand and fire (with sustained bonus) etc.

Assault cannon can't full auto.

Anyone think it odd that the storm shield is a worse defensive weapon than a power sword? The SS forces the stealer to lose one dice before it rolls (so this might have been the highest, middle or lowest, we'll never know). The PS can force the stealer to re-roll (i.e. probably lose) the highest, since you get to select which one. I'd have let the SS do both (stealer loses 1 dice, and marine can force him to re-roll one of the remainder).

PeeKay
09-09-2009, 13:45
The storm shield is better (i think). It gives the stealer player 1 less chance of rolling higher than the Marine. For example, if the stealer player rolls 3 dice and gets 6,4,1 but if he rolls 2 dice he may only get 4,1.

Also I have forced a stealer player to re-roll a 5 compared to my 5 but he rolled a 6 (stupid move) so the stealer also has a chance of improving his die with the re-roll