PDA

View Full Version : Blood Angels - good or bad choice?

Souleater
25-08-2009, 13:09
Hello,

How do you feel about BA being the chapter of choice in SH?

I have read some comments from those wishing to convert to other chapters (esp Death Wing). There has even been a little anti-BA sentiment (why is this?)

I am glad that they did go with BA for three reasons:

1. Vanilla SM could have been a little 'dull' Certainly very close to the Termie sets we already have. Chapter specific iconography allows some nice personality and background.

2. They were in the orginal SH. Not like those Johnny-Come-Latelys the Death Wing.

3. My SM chapter in statis in the loft are of a BA successor chapter. These new models have made me seriously think about restarting SM. Which is wrong and sick, I know. But hey.

Until BA were confirmed I did have my suspicions that they might do DW Termies with the mixed iconorgraphy of the 'big five' chapters. Maybe FW has an opening there?

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Melchor
25-08-2009, 13:12
[...]

2. They were in the orginal SH. Not like those Johnny-Come-Latelys the Death Wing.

[...]

This did it for me... Although Johnny-Come-Latelys Deathwing would have been nice too. ;)

LordFlashHeart
25-08-2009, 13:18
It's not a matter of choice more a matter of provenance. They have always been in Space Hulk.

CRasterImage
25-08-2009, 13:44
I think the BA are a fine choice.

However, if GW wanted to take this opportunity to make the game a bit more fluffy, they should have gone with the Deathwatch. It's their job to deal with significant xenos threats. Such as Genestealer infestations and cults.

(not to be confused with the DA's Deathwing)

Reimu
25-08-2009, 14:07
You must remember that Space Hulk is generally not about destroying the Genestealers, but completing missions on a level significant only to the chapter in question. The Blood Angels wouldn't dream of calling in the Deathwatch to retrieve Blood Angels artifacts - especially as the ever-mercurious Inquisition could opt to keep them!

In any case, not every Xenos threat is attended to by the Deathwatch - there's no way they could be. The Deathwatch are mostly used in instances where a specific strike against the Xenos must not fail, such as a mission to destroy a planetary synapse node on a world doomed by the Tyranids, or an assassination strike against an Ork Warboss.

CRasterImage
25-08-2009, 14:14
I didn't imply that the BA would hand over a discovered Space Hulk to the Deathwatch. Nor would any chapter, probably.

However, clearing out a nest of Genestealers is a common Deathwatch task. If a Hulk were discovered by some imperial agency, other than an Astartes Chapter, then word would pass to the Inquisition and the Deathwatch would be sent in to take care of it.

With Astartes, the Inquisition would still be notified. But only as an after-mission report.

AndrewGPaul
25-08-2009, 14:20
The background for Space Hulk tends to imply that most Marine incursions into Hulks are as a result of requests from other Imperial agencies. Presumably the Deathwatch are too stretched to respond to every call, and other Chapters respond to local requests.

Amusingly, the campaign in the 2nd edition game states that the hulk was discovered by a Space Wolves cruiser, who notified the Administratum. By this point, the Blood Angels had already arrived! Due to the way warp communication* works, they're received the message before the Space Wolves had sent it.

*or any form of FTL travel/communication, really.

Znail
25-08-2009, 16:42
I think its a good idea as there are already Deathwing Terminator models, so far better to add some varity. Spacewolves also have their own models and may even get new ones soon. The 'normal' ones are basicly Ultramarine ones and for other chapters with similar icons. One sideeffect would be that its not that likely that there will be new BA Terminators when the new codex arrives.

szlachcic
25-08-2009, 18:01
As I stated in the original SH thread, I don't see what the fuss is about concerning the BAs. I have no problem if someone would want to convert the marines into another chapter, but unless you are doing Dark Angels, I honestly think it is a lot of work for a little return. You could spend a similar amount of time just converting the standard plastic terminators and probably get a similar result.

To me one of the reasons the SH terminators look so cool is because of all of the BA iconography. Taking it off will make them look like any other terminator.

I am probably biased though, as I am a BA player. I will be placing magnets in their bases so that I can use them normally in SH and then throw them on some 40mm bases and play 40k with them as well.

snottlebocket
25-08-2009, 18:17
Blood angels are a perfectly good choice. It's a space hulk boardgame, not an extra cheap set of models for whichever chapter you use for your 40k army.

Souleater
25-08-2009, 20:50
@Znail: There are Death Watch Termie models?

The Custodian
25-08-2009, 21:06
....WOuld you rather have Ultramarine termies? Not Vanila but god awful ultras?

Petay1985
26-08-2009, 09:38
Although there is a strong arguement to have non-chapter specific termiantors to allow freedom of choice for people's army / painting preference.

However making them chapter specific has alowed for fantasticly detailed models with individual back stories, i think the chapter chosen for this is irrelevant as all chapters could potentially get this attention.
Given that this individual attention is only achieveble with them being chapter specific the no-brainer chapter has to Blood Angels, if only because they are the original space hulk army and that they got shafted on the codex/re-realease front (i appriciate that they are still better off than necrons, dark eldar, etc... please don't rant on this!!)

Plus who doesn't like space vampires :p

Jagged
26-08-2009, 11:47
Plus who doesn't like space vampires :p

Space virgins?

Oh that was rehtorical, sorry :(

ted1138
28-08-2009, 14:34
If it matter so much to some people what chapter their Terminators come from, then they should either convert these minis or substitute them for some from their own collections. Complaining that they can't use these ones in their 40k armies, or that they don't want to paint anything other than their prefered colour scheme is just too childish for words........It's a board game about the Blood Angels, nothing more than that.

Odin
28-08-2009, 14:54
Obviously it's always been the Blood Angels so I've got no complaint with them being the fous again. But I do wish they'd gone for a more neutral set of models who could be used for any chapter (in my case I want to paint them up as deathwing, but not sure I can remove all the BA iconography).

But it's true they probably wouldn't have looked as good.

Getifa Ubazza
28-08-2009, 15:39
I think BA are a great choice, very nostalgic.

destroyerlord
31-08-2009, 13:04
I think BA's were the best choice, as the several have mentioned.
1. Non-Vanillas mean better detail and models with character.
2. Space hulk v1 was BA's, and this is a 20 year anniversary edition.
3. BA's have had a lot of hate this edition, its good for them to get something nice for a change.

Big Ned
31-08-2009, 14:05
Space Hulk should always be about Blood Angels vs. Genestealers.

IMO They were the ONLY choice

Cpt. Drill
31-08-2009, 14:14
Although I would say BA are my least favourite spacemarine chapter, they work very well in SpaceHulk. I think you need near psycopathic people to enter those doomed ships, and im sure there are alot of winning recruits from the space vampires.

Also the red team vs blue team is always nice!

grimcrazy
31-08-2009, 14:19
Its so cool that they all have personalities.

anyone know if the names are sculpted on the models or just painted on?

commandergabriel
31-08-2009, 14:31
As much as I'm not really a huge fan of the Blood Angels; I'm glad that they were chosen. I will still have a selection of Deathwing Terminators to use after I run through all the missions with the BA, but; had it been a generic "choose your own" marines like 2nd edition then I would have converted some Space Wolves for the job.

doghouse
31-08-2009, 15:20
I think that given the nature of the release it was only right that they should be Blood Angels as the original narrative of the game was about them.
If they'd reworked Deathwing instead then it'd only be right that they be Deathwing terminators.
From the point of view of the models they can be converted fairly easily to represent other chapters if need be.

destroyerlord
02-09-2009, 14:09
anyone know if the names are sculpted on the models or just painted on?
Painted on I'm afraid, got my set yesterday. :) Fantastic sculpts, really good gameplay.

KroSha
03-09-2009, 14:13
Given the fact these are plastic, I predict they'll be on general release soon enough, giving BA players some awesome cool additions to their armies. It's just too expensive to sculpt and tool plastics with a single run in mind. Think how long some plastics have been in production. These are going to run and run.

Znail
03-09-2009, 14:23
I am pretty sure that the limited run of SH still outnumber the numbers sold of most other plastic kits. The only ones I can see having been sold in comparative numbers would be starter boxes and maybe the select few like Rhino's.

wolf40k
03-09-2009, 19:11
There is actually a novel written about Space Hulk and it stars the Blood angels. In games like these the Narrative is almost as important as the game play, So to keep every thing Loyal to the History and to tie all the missions together, and of coarse to be able to make some awesome miniatures, they stuck to the origonal story.

I mean we are fanboys, could you imagine the outrage from the die hard ones if they decided to actually change the chapter involved.