PDA

View Full Version : Brood lord

Alsharoth
25-08-2009, 16:30
Probably the wrong place but so far I have only found 1 thing wrong from all the pics in WD The broodlord looks crap !
They added it as a sort of end of level boss but it looks like an ordinary genestealer.
They could of picked a better design, this place has loads of sculps that would of been better
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/album50/Genestealers/
Anyone else not happy with any of the models ?

CRasterImage
25-08-2009, 16:44
True, the Broodlord's body shape is very similiar to the average Genestealer. His claws and back spines are a bit longer perhaps.

However, the Broodlord is much larger. I don't have one to compare here, but from the photos I have seen, he seems to be about 150% the size of the average Genestealer. (just rough guess)

Znail
25-08-2009, 16:48
He actualy looks like a large monster beside the smaller Genestealers. And from the fluff gurus so have I heared that his look is actualy more inline with the fluff then the current 40k model.

The Custodian
25-08-2009, 16:53
...I prefer him over the normal nid broodlord... but im sad since this one doesnt want hugs :(

szlachcic
25-08-2009, 16:57
I completely disagree with you. I think the new broodlord is a huge improvement over the current metal model. If you actually look at him in a comparison shot you will notice that he is quite big. Also, personally I think he looks incredibly menacing, something the goofy metal model lacks.

CRasterImage
25-08-2009, 17:15
I also believe that the old Broodlord design wasn't as good.

He had a very man-like shape to his body. The proportions. The musculature. Everything was very man-like. While the rest of the Tyranids are very alien. Pun intended. Tyranid body shapes are very foreign. Perhaps vaguely insect-like at best.

The new model brings the Broodlord's design more into alignment with that principle.

That being said, I think they could have done a little bit more to give him unique features. Perhaps his spine thingies could have been 4 times larger or something.

But overall, I am happy with it.

puppetmaster24
25-08-2009, 17:29
the new broodlord is about twice the size of a regular stealer. the model itself is about shoulder high to a wraithlord if i remember correctly.

Dreachon
25-08-2009, 17:39
I much more prefer the SH broodlord, over all it's shape and look is far more aking to a super-predator stalking you from te dark.
The tyranid version is just to much shoot me and barely looks dynamic.

IncrediSteve
25-08-2009, 17:47
They could of picked a better design, this place has loads of sculps that would of been better

I'll have to submit my disagreement; those are very well done and creative, but not a single one of them even comes close to "better than the Space Hulk Broodlord" IMO. He looks like he should really, a bigger, more pronounced Genestealer, with the raised spine plates signature of larger Tyranid organisms, but still unmistakably a big stealer. The skullpile they put him on is also excellent.

Anyone else not happy with any of the models?

I'm pretty disappointed with the Cyber Altered Task Unit. I was expecting something similar to the Servitors in Dawn of War, and instead we get a servo skull attached to a lamp on treads. Though honestly it's pretty petty to complain about given the quality of thee other minis in the box.

CRasterImage
25-08-2009, 17:50
He looks like he should really, a bigger, more pronounced Genestealer

I can agree with this. He should look like a big Genestealer.

de Selby
25-08-2009, 18:26
Indeed. The SH broodlord is a purestrain genestealer grown huge and (even more) monstrous. It's one of the minis that convinced me to buy the game, and is far superior to the metal shawshank redemption version.

No disrespect to Navarro's minis; they are all awesome but not purestrain. None of them epitomizes the genestealer archetype.

Ben
25-08-2009, 18:35
I'm pretty disappointed with the Cyber Altered Task Unit. I was expecting something similar to the Servitors in Dawn of War, and instead we get a servo skull attached to a lamp on treads. Though honestly it's pretty petty to complain about given the quality of thee other minis in the box.

The CAT was always a little robot chap though, about the size of a small dog or big rat.

They made it more like the MALP from stargate this time around.

Rirekon
25-08-2009, 19:31
I hate the current metal Broodlord - really happy with the new Space Hulk version :)

Souleater
25-08-2009, 19:54

GWs competitors?

Znail
25-08-2009, 20:16
GWs competitors?

Althou I think they are happy with the limited run! The SH minis makes other boardgame models look cheap, so they are probobly happy to avoid having that comparision made longer then needed.

Souleater
25-08-2009, 20:33
True, true. But if SH sells well GW might start looking at doing this kinda thing regularly.

baphomael
25-08-2009, 23:12
wut wut? Not happy with the broodlord? Its big, its gnarly, its a big gnarly genestealer? Isnt that what a Broodlord is, well, supposed to be?

The metal broodlord was supposed to be an updated reinvisioning of the Genestealer Patriarch - a bigger, badder, boss of a genestealer brood. This one definately epitomises that - its a truly massive, scarier, genestealer. Exactly what a broolord is.

AFnord
26-08-2009, 00:08
When I first saw the picture on GWs website I could not see what was so special about it...

But once I saw it togheter with some other minis, I could really get a feel for it's size. It's huge, and it looks like one of the nastiest things you could run into in the 40k universe.

Take a look at this picture
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m330280a_P2Mb3.jpg and you will see how large and nasty it looks compared to the other stealers. While it's not my favorite mini in the set (I prefer the terminators to the stealers), it's still a fantastic mini, one that i'm looking forward to painting.

CRasterImage
26-08-2009, 00:22
Actually, I find that image to be the culprit for all the troubles. The Broodlord's size and distinctiveness is lost in that photo. Some other photos of the figures, unpainted, on the board do the Broodlord more justice.

When that photo was first aired, I, like many, didn't know it wasn't just another Genestealer.

Anarchist Angel
26-08-2009, 00:24
You are the only person I've heard say a bad thing about any model in the space hulk box! Have you actually seen the broodlord??? He's massive!! :p

Btw my favourite genestealer variation in that link is the hermet crab. That thing is an absolute work of art! The claws are plain fantastic :D

Mannimarco
26-08-2009, 01:09
i like it, guess its better looking than the classic patriarch models but for those out there help is at hand! just copy this for a truly stunning broodlord:

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/2TW/IMG_1364.jpg.html

i know its from the same site but its a big site and maybe sombody missed it

Souleater
26-08-2009, 07:37
It is better than the current metal BL model, yeah. I wouldn't say it was stunning.

Jagged
26-08-2009, 09:59
I have to add my voice to those loving the new Brood Lord.

If I was going to make any complaint about the new SH models (and it is a small complaint) its about the styling of the Genestealers themselves. As great as they are I much prefer the backs from the original plastics.

http://orgs.unt.edu/sec6/gfx/genestealer.gif

But apart from that the models are great and quite dynamic and very gribbly :)

brotherAkkyshan
27-08-2009, 09:07
At the moment the Genestealers (in Space Hulk they're not Tyranids! They're just Genestealers... who came up with all this Tyranid nonsense anyway! :D) are the one thing (or should that be twenty three things?!) that are even interesting me about the re-release! The Broodlord is fantastic, and some (though not all) the 'Stealers look cool!

doghouse
27-08-2009, 16:56
I think the new Broodlord looks great! It has moved the model back to the days of the Patriarch which was basically an oversized genestealer with psychic powers.
This is a nice re-invention of the Patriarch for the modern game in my mind and I'd love to get hold of one.

Ben
27-08-2009, 18:01
Another positive for the broodlord. I have the metal one from the current Tyranid range, and even with converting substantially, it is nowhere near as good as the Space Hulk one.

bringerofdecay
27-08-2009, 18:35
the thing is the current broodlord is massively out of line with the tyranid ethos and with biological dictations. the head of a group of animals, a 'brood' if you will, will often be the most dominant member, the strongest, fittest and the biggest. the current brood lord exhibits none of the properties IN CONNECTION with other genestealers, this new iteration is a much improved one in terms of biology. it looks physically similar to the other members of the group (as we observe in nature) but has the qualities of a leader in the animal kingdom (as i've mentioned, strength, size, fitness).

that and the shear awesomeness of the sculpt is why it's much better than the current one :)

The Blades of reason
29-08-2009, 17:15
also i noticed something and ir hasn'y been said yet so..

the broodlord has no scything talons a deffinet set of limbs stated in the codex

but a brilliant model and very powerful in game though unfortunatly the librarians psychic axe can rip it to shreds - i have done this several times in one game and it really anoys the stealer player.

Inquisitor D'selinas
29-08-2009, 17:34
It's worth mentioning that the Broodlord doesn't have to conform to the Codex as it's got nothing to do with the Codex. It is a model from a stand alone game, not an army battle force.
It is a great model tho, and I can't wait to get my mits on it this week :D

Znail
29-08-2009, 17:37
The Librarian is the easiest way to kill the Broodlord, so stay away from him or atleast make sure you get to eat some Terminators before he reaches you. Assault Cannon is also something to avoid as it can kill the Broodlord pretty easy with a few shots.

snottlebocket
29-08-2009, 19:03
I have to add my voice to those loving the new Brood Lord.

If I was going to make any complaint about the new SH models (and it is a small complaint) its about the styling of the Genestealers themselves. As great as they are I much prefer the backs from the original plastics.

http://orgs.unt.edu/sec6/gfx/genestealer.gif

But apart from that the models are great and quite dynamic and very gribbly :)

I love those old genestealers. They look so much more alien in a weird way.

CRasterImage
29-08-2009, 19:12
The Librarian is the easiest way to kill the Broodlord

The Broodlord is immune to the Librarian's psychic attack.

Znail
29-08-2009, 19:24
The Broodlord is immune to the Librarian's psychic attack.

Correct, but the Broodlord is not imune to his Force Axe wich means that the Librarian autowins as long as he has the psi-points needed. Its only an average of 4 or so needed, so its not that much most of the time.

snottlebocket
29-08-2009, 21:09
Correct, but the Broodlord is not imune to his Force Axe wich means that the Librarian autowins as long as he has the psi-points needed. Its only an average of 4 or so needed, so its not that much most of the time.

I imagine the real trick is catching the brood lord in combat with the librarian.

Znail
29-08-2009, 21:51
Yupp, thats the name of the game when those are involved. The Broodlord wants to chew some juicy Terminators without getting caught by the Librarian while the Librarian wants to catch him asap.

The Librarian will fall easily to numbers if he loses all his friends and has to take out the horde by himself. The basic Stormbolter Terminators are good for covering corridors and keeping the horde away. So its clear who needs to do what job. Its pretty much impossible in the long run thou as the Broodlord can show up where he wants and should be able to take out some Terminators before he falls, so the BA player needs to finnish with his mission before he runs out of Terminators or psi-points. This is a bit of extra fun as its possible to set up defences that can stop heaps of basic Genestealers, so the Broodlord adds quite alot of urgency to the game.

Souleater
30-08-2009, 07:48
Wait, what?

The Genestealer hero has to avoid HTH with the Marine hero?:eyebrows:

*mutter*

altwaev
30-08-2009, 23:35
how many of the missions actually involve both the libby and the broodlord?

Mojaco
31-08-2009, 07:34
Only 2 IIRC.

AndrewGPaul
31-08-2009, 08:06
I love those old genestealers. They look so much more alien in a weird way.

I found one in my bits box (along with an ickle Familiar! awww, so sweeet :) ) the other day. I'm going to pait him aup, but I'm afraid he'll look a little weedy next to the ones from the new set. :)

destroyerlord
31-08-2009, 11:50
I completely disagree with you. I think the new broodlord is a huge improvement over the current metal model. If you actually look at him in a comparison shot you will notice that he is quite big. Also, personally I think he looks incredibly menacing, something the goofy metal model lacks.
+1. This is how the broodlord should look, according to fluff, and my own personal sense of aesthetics.
All of the models in SH look simply fantastic, and I really cant wait until it arrives on my doorstep. So much so that I even started painting my black reach orks in anticipation.

IncrediSteve
01-09-2009, 05:23
All of the models in SH look simply fantastic, and I really cant wait until it arrives on my doorstep. So much so that I even started painting my black reach orks in anticipation.

Mine was on the doorstep today :chrome:

The Broodlord is every bit as tall as the AOBR Dreadnought; slightly taller if you count the skulls he's standing on.

Hellebore
01-09-2009, 06:25
I disagree with those who think the Broodlord is a good reinvention of the Patriarch - it's nothing like a patriarch. It's a roided up killing machine, not an infiltrator puppet master. THe background for a broodlord isn't anything like a patriarch. It's a vanguard organism so it's dropped during an invasion, not 50 years before hand. It's sole purpose is slaughter.

I can't see a broodlord sitting at the centre of a religious cult for 50 years amassing followers, hybrids and a spy network before starting an insurrection. A broodlord would have gnawed the furniture down being kept in a room hidden for that long. He needs to be out killing things and a genestealer cult is not conducive to that.

I don't see why 40k can't have patriarchs ANDbroodlords. This is an alien race that can create mutations of anything, but we can't have two very distinct and different genestealer leader beasts?

One that is tough, slower, smarter and psychically powerful and the other that is strong, fast and a murder machine.

All you need is a Broodlord entry with options to take melee OR psychic biomorph upgrades to differentiate them. I think that a patriarch should even be able to come in on the enemy table edge, because it's coming from within their own infrastructure.

I like broodlords, but they're nothing like patriarchs and shouldn't be used to bulldozer over an important and cool part of genestealer background.

The SH broodlord is a good model. I wasn't impressed until I saw it next to a normal genestealer. It is far bigger than it appears. A patriarch should simply be a heavier version of the broodlord with a bulging head, a bit like a zoanthrope (not quite as extreme).

Hellebore

Angelwing
01-09-2009, 07:07
Actually, I find that image to be the culprit for all the troubles.

When that photo was first aired, I, like many, didn't know it wasn't just another Genestealer.

Agreed. I'll reserve my judgement until I have the model in front of me.

Charax
01-09-2009, 07:35
I disagree with those who think the Broodlord is a good reinvention of the Patriarch - it's nothing like a patriarch. It's a roided up killing machine, not an infiltrator puppet master. THe background for a broodlord isn't anything like a patriarch. It's a vanguard organism so it's dropped during an invasion, not 50 years before hand. It's sole purpose is slaughter.
<snip>

THANK YOU

Hellebore's post basically sums up my thoughts on the matter, the Broodlord and Patriarch are two entirely distinct organisms. the fact Patriarchs still exist can be evidenced by their mention in Xenology - after Broodlords came into being.

I don't see why it's so implausible that the Hive Fleets, having absorbed several Genestealer Cults, couldn't have modified the process that creates the Patriarch into an accelerated one that creates a Broodlord for invasions. It's not a massive cognitive leap and it preserves lots of distinctive and fantastic background.

precinctomega
01-09-2009, 07:45
I'd broadly concur with Charax and Hellebore except in one respect: the Broodlord and Patriarch represent potential developmental streams for individual genestealers. Different environmental pressure lead them to develop naturally in either of these different directions. A genestealer that has infiltrated human society (usually by childbirth following implantation) will be under vastly different pressures to a genestealer in a cycle of perpetual battle.

They're like RPG characters from the same class who take different mastery routes.

R.

Hellebore
01-09-2009, 10:42
I'd broadly concur with Charax and Hellebore except in one respect: the Broodlord and Patriarch represent potential developmental streams for individual genestealers. Different environmental pressure lead them to develop naturally in either of these different directions. A genestealer that has infiltrated human society (usually by childbirth following implantation) will be under vastly different pressures to a genestealer in a cycle of perpetual battle.

They're like RPG characters from the same class who take different mastery routes.

R.

That's basically how I normally think of it. Perhaps being outside the Hive Mind for a certain length of time triggers a specific developmental change in genestealers. Perhaps a pheromone concentration level keeps each one turning into a patriarch, so that only solitary ones will do so. Patriarchs then suppress the growth of patriarchs amongst any later genestealers.

Depending on evironmental conditions a genestealer has the potential to grow into one or the other. Or infiltration genestealers are slightly different to vanguard genestealers. The invasion nids tend to have short life spans, whilst infiltration stealers are apparently immortal (or were). Perhaps the infiltration stealer is designed slightly differently with a different developmental path.

Hellebore

Souleater
01-09-2009, 12:06
I also put in my two...er...genes...for Patriarchs and Broodlords co-existing as two different 'alpha-stealers'.

I think it suits the Nid background of organisms having evolved or be engineered into sub-species for different roles. E.g. Hormaguants vs Termagaunts.

Reimu
01-09-2009, 15:18
What makes anyone think that Broodlords can't fulfill the roles that Patriarchs used to?

Broodlords are essentially Genestealers and therefore, probably retain much of their psychology. The psychology of a Genestealer is that of subterfuge, stealth and cleverness, and I see no reason why a Broodlord would be any different.

grimcrazy
01-09-2009, 20:49
...and Patriarchs use furniture but broodlords don't!

seriosly - it would be great if they re-released that throned patriarch model.

has anyone ever tried to convert him so he stands?

Charax
01-09-2009, 22:24
the seated patriarch (minus throne) was essentially a two-piece lump of metal - it was hollow, but only a little bit. I'd be very surprised if anyone managed to convert it beyond something like a head swap. Had some nice detail though.

Besides, GW made a standing/running patriarch model, although I think it looked rubbish compared to the seated one.

Mannimarco
01-09-2009, 22:33
why the love for the patriarch on the throne? i always thought he was ugly, best one i ever saw was sitting on a converted stretch chimera with a pair of magus, sort of like a genestealer cult asdrubael vect

Charax
01-09-2009, 22:46
ever seen one in person? I used to have one, the detail on that model is incredible - not just for the period, but in general. It was ugly as sin (as it was supposed to be) but it was intricately ugly.

grimcrazy
01-09-2009, 23:03
Yeah the throned one just looked incredibly malevolent. I remember seing him in a game of old space hulk. he looked like the monster at the end of a dungeon.

someone in another forum described that running patraich as 'Pappa Smurf' ! :)

Cpt. Drill
02-09-2009, 00:23
...and Patriarchs use furniture but broodlords don't!

Lol! :D

I have one of the old patriarcs, the running one.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/Genestealer%20Patriarch/bwride/gw_patriarch_wip.jpg

Although I have to say nowadays he just looks like a slobby genestealer with health problems. I think you could still easily use him just every other turn he needs to sit down and rest his eyes.

Oh but he does have an awesome giant necklace. Mines one is gold!

Hellebore
02-09-2009, 01:48
What makes anyone think that Broodlords can't fulfill the roles that Patriarchs used to?

Broodlords are essentially Genestealers and therefore, probably retain much of their psychology. The psychology of a Genestealer is that of subterfuge, stealth and cleverness, and I see no reason why a Broodlord would be any different.

Read the broodlord's bio in codex Tyranids. He's a sneaker, but his reason for sneaking is to KILL YOU! :D

Patriarchs are inactive once they set up their coven. They sit in the middle controlling everything but they never personally kill things unless they've been compromised.

Also, when was the last time a Broodlord psychically molested someone? Patriarchs are about as psychically powerful as Hive Tyrants.

Hellebore

Champer Master Zavian
02-09-2009, 04:45
I like the look of the Broodlord, because it looks how it should, like a larger geanestealer.

grimcrazy
02-09-2009, 08:20
Genestealers with jewelry! :confused:

Yeah he is wearing a medallian. Papa Smurf with a medallian and bad asma :)

I do like the idea of the Patriarch as a sinister godfather type

Reimu
02-09-2009, 14:21
The thing about the Patriarch is that such a setup just seems less than intimidating to me. But a Cult built around a huge Genestealer, rarely seen and only ever in shadow? That speaks to its Cultists in psychic whispers? Its lithe form emerging from the darkness when a worthy foe arrives, its breath the hissing of oil on hot metal?

That's pretty scary, more in the vein of ALIEN and Genestealers are essentially ripped from that anyway.

Souleater
02-09-2009, 14:34
The Broodlord is your action slasher movie serial killer.

The Patriarch is more your Hannibal Lecter type.

grimcrazy
02-09-2009, 14:45
Thats exactly what he's like - Hanibal Lector!

Does anybody have an old warhammer comic where a genestealer cult attacks an arbite precinct? It has a Patriarch as a demon sized monster.

Reimu
02-09-2009, 14:57
The Broodlord is your action slasher movie serial killer.

...more in the vein of ALIEN and Genestealers are essentially ripped from that anyway.

Words because the coding demands them.

Souleater
02-09-2009, 15:54
I really don't understand what you are driving at.

You've said in your previous post that the Patriarch represents a more cerebal kind of fear -the lurking, the cult, etc at that reminds you of Aliens.

I've kind of agreed but also noted that the Broodlord is a more 'in your face' kind of guy.

Rirekon
02-09-2009, 16:47
The whole "get fatter and slower as it gets older" thing never sat well with me.
I always saw the Patriarch like an Alien Queen personally - spends most of it's time tending to it's brood but can still move like an SOB when needed.
Irregardless of what the fluff my indicate the Broodlord and Patriarch are the same thing in my mind (older, faster and stronger 'stealers) just taking on different roles depending on the situation.

Hellebore
02-09-2009, 23:10
The whole "get fatter and slower as it gets older" thing never sat well with me.
I always saw the Patriarch like an Alien Queen personally - spends most of it's time tending to it's brood but can still move like an SOB when needed.
Irregardless of what the fluff my indicate the Broodlord and Patriarch are the same thing in my mind (older, faster and stronger 'stealers) just taking on different roles depending on the situation.

Patriarchs could and can do that. Broodlords are not that kind of creature. A broodlord doesn't sit sedentary tending to its brood, it leads it from the front.
An octagenarian and nag are both old, slow mammals, but it doesn't mean they are the same thing.

Simple fact you can't avoid: Patriarchs are powerfully psychic broodlords are not.

Hellebore

grimcrazy
02-09-2009, 23:34
and patriarchs could get posessed and carry deamon weapons (i remember trying to glue a sword on an old genestealer)

and they had their own limo transport. You couldn't take a broodlord around in a car. He would rip up the apolstry and foul the carpets.

mrt181
03-09-2009, 00:20
putting aside the fact that we are speaking of imaginery creatures you could imagine a broodlord as a mix of a silverback, a male lion and the biggest crocodile in the pond with its intelligence on a par with humans. It is the alpha critter.
It will tend to its brood first instead of just killing stuff for the fun of it. Without a brood it is nothing. The broodlord will be at the front at the right time, when it thinks its presence is needed. It is not a mindless killing machine with an insatiable thirst for mayhem.

Maybe a Patriarch is the next carrier step for a broodlord. Once the brood has infiltrated an outpost, colony etc. its psychic powers become more important than its shear strength. It needs to keep control of much more beings and has gained enough support to protect its brood and itself from harm. I see no need for a Patriarch within a space hulk that is only populated by genestealers and the occasional visitor.

Btw, what happens when the broodlord dies? Does another genestealer take other and evolve into a new broodlord?

Champer Master Zavian
03-09-2009, 04:49
I believe, if the Hulk is not fully cleansed, then a new genestealer takes its place. I may need to check though.

twistinthunder
03-09-2009, 16:40
the white dwarf pics make it look small.
the broodlord is JUST AN OVERSIZED GENESTEALER AFTER ALL

yes those broodlords are nice and gw arent making you use theirs so you can use your own if you want.

may i request a lock on this thread.

Souleater
03-09-2009, 18:35
The 40K BL isn't just an oversized stealer.

He's an oversized stealer who's just woken up from plastic surgery because he wanted to look more like the Patriarch...looked in the mirror and seen the horrible mess they've made of his once lovely Genestealer features.

'Khaaaaannnnnnnn!'

twistinthunder
03-09-2009, 19:12
hey the space hulk bl looks better than the 40k one

loveless
03-09-2009, 19:23
hey the space hulk bl looks better than the 40k one

You act like that's difficult to pull off :p

We now have the Brooding Broodlord (Space Hulk) and the Opera Broodlord (metal). B. Broodlord definitely wins the bizarre face award, but it's not a bad look, really. He's definitely distinguished enough to be a Broodlord, but is still obviously a Genestealer, something the O. Broodlord didn't quite convey - despite a certain fondness I have for the model, I don't really think it's a good representation of a Broodlord - more like a Space Marine going trick or treating as a Genestealer looking at the anatomy of the O. Broodlord.

IncrediSteve
04-09-2009, 17:40
the white dwarf pics make it look small.
the broodlord is JUST AN OVERSIZED GENESTEALER AFTER ALL

may i request a lock on this thread.

Callin me a liar, eh? :p

Taken 3 minutes ago with my crumby phone:

Dezartfox
04-09-2009, 18:41
Just because I can.

BEEP

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/Models/IMG00948-20090903-1529.jpg

GrogsnotPowwabomba
04-09-2009, 19:20
What abilities does the Broodlord have over a normal Genestealer?

Khaunshar
04-09-2009, 19:23
Immune to flamer, harder to kill, hits like a truck in melee because he doesnt pick the highest roll, but ADDS the two highest, making him pretty much unbeatable by anything but the Librarian or a VERY lucky Sergeant with Hammer.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
04-09-2009, 19:28
Why is he harder to kill (with shooting I assume)?

neXus6
04-09-2009, 19:37
With shooting you must wound with two dice at once to take him out.

So with a normal shot from a storm bolter you need a double six.
:eek:

Also he is immune to the Librarians psychic blast as he himself is a psyker of sorts background wise.

Personally I love the BL model, I don't know why but the head looks a little less feral to me, like a stealer but not quite, and as Dezartfox's picture shows he looks as good for what he is ment to represent as the old model did.
:D

Dezartfox
04-09-2009, 20:41
Immune to flamer, harder to kill, hits like a truck in melee because he doesnt pick the highest roll, but ADDS the two highest, making him pretty much unbeatable by anything but the Librarian or a VERY lucky Sergeant with Hammer.

I thought it was the highest and lowest he added together?

Sleazy
04-09-2009, 20:57
When the Valk was released a few months ago I sawpped a NIB one for my old seated Patriarch.

seemed a good deal at the time........

destroyerlord
05-09-2009, 03:39
Well that is around $90AU for a rather old model that you probably would never use again. Although I still haven't seen a photo of this seated patriarch yet. Does anyone actually own one?

Sleby
05-09-2009, 03:51

Highest and lowest actually :o

Sleazy
05-09-2009, 08:41
Well that is around $90AU for a rather old model that you probably would never use again. Although I still haven't seen a photo of this seated patriarch yet. Does anyone actually own one?

Yeah I suppose you are right.

I still have a pic of my old one...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/sleazycome/SP_A0206.jpg

Grapeshot
05-09-2009, 18:54
I like the new broodlord. It is big. I only wish it is bigger :)

UberBeast
05-09-2009, 19:25
I love the new Brood Lord, but I have to admit a moment of embarassment for him when he was the first model I picked up and I couldn't tell he wasn't your rank in file genestealer.

mrt181
05-09-2009, 20:28
shame on you :)

i found it obvious, it's so big

KroSha
08-09-2009, 14:46
The only gripe I have is that there's a regular stealer in roughly the same pose. I would have liked the BL to be standing and threatening, rather than perched up.

shadow hunter
08-09-2009, 15:05
I thought the brood lord was ok. But I didn't think it looked loads bigger than a regular genestealer at first (apart from it being on a huge pile of skulls)

Dont really understand the hate for the 40k broodlord either. I dont have the model personally, but my mates looks really good (although he is a decent painter too)

grimcrazy
08-09-2009, 16:10
the new broodlord is great - but so is that throned patriarch

is there any kind of techno-looking base he could go on?

A throne on battlefeild gravel looks odd

CMDante
08-09-2009, 19:02
Probably the wrong place but so far I have only found 1 thing wrong from all the pics in WD The broodlord looks crap !
They added it as a sort of end of level boss but it looks like an ordinary genestealer.

Was this meant to be ironic given that the pics you linked to are all of models made from the plastic genestealer frame (with one or two using the huglord body) and looking more like regular genestealers (albeit mutated a bit) than the new Space Hulk Broodlord?

Nice mini's, but broodlords they are not (to me anyway).

Vineas
26-09-2009, 04:21
The SH broodlord replaced my metal one in my army. Stands out nicely too. :)