PDA

View Full Version : What is paint we don't even

FLESHGRINDER
26-08-2009, 01:19
This painting log is going to be a collaboration between everyone in our painting group that wants to post their progress Godfiend will be posting his WoC and maybe some lizardmen, Black Umbrella will be posting his Skaven, and I'll be posting my (obviously superior) O&G army.

Here's to hoping this log won't sink into oblivion within the first week

Edit:Sorry for being dumb and spreading the posts out so much. Working on condensing and deleting the unneeded posts so the thread isn't an eyesore

Picture 1: This is my Army-wide shot; I can run a 2000 point army with this, but I've still got a Pump wagon, a box of blorcs, and another box of boyz to assemble and paint

Pictures 2-4: Here's Uruk Teefgrinda, my warboss on his so-far unnamed mount. Suggestions are welcome. I added the choppa blade to the boars face-plate to make it extra killy. Unfortunately, its only for looks and doesn't confer some bonus in-game. I really like how all the shading came out on the boar's mane and the red cloth Teefgrinda is sitting on. The astute viewer will also notice the star of Chaos on the boar's hind leg. This was a transfer I got from a Word Bearer CSM transfer sheet. I put it on the boar because Teefgrinda is a Black Orc, who recently escaped from the chaos dwarves of Zar Naggrund on one of the work boars (WHOOOO BACKSTORY)

Pictures 5-7: Here's the big boss I made out of the left-over pieces from the warboss box after making Teefgrinda. The lighting is terrible and I might re-shoot these from a higher POV to get better lighting because his shield and chest plate look a lot better in person. I put the Orc skull underneath his foot because it always seemed like the model was made to stand in that position. Now that I'm looking at these pics, I can't help but think why I would have kept them. Next chance I get I'm definitely going to get better angles.

Picture 8: This is the Goblin Spear Chukka that Godfiend bought me as a surprise. He was going to paint it right next to me, with the hopes I wouldn't notice it because of how stupid he thinks I am. Its great having friends that are nice to you. He lost one of the pieces in transition from the sink where he washed them to the table. We think it went down the drain; so in a couple of years or so when they need to fix the piping, there'll be a small metal lump in the U-bend that was once part of my spear chukka.

Pictures 9 and 10: These are my Black Orcs; all metal and made of two pieces: the head and everything else. Not that I'm complaining, I probably would have messed up posing them all and they wouldn't have ranked up so nicely. The first picture is the front rank, and the second is the back rank. I painted their skin Dark Angels Green because Blorcs are described as having darker skin than regular orcs, so I wanted to show that.

Up next is some close-ups of the backs of my blorcs.

FLESHGRINDER
26-08-2009, 01:58
Pictures 1-3: I wanted to paint them all differently, because O&G aren't known for having a cohesive color scheme (maybe they are, but not to the extent that an army like Bretonnia has). I wanted it to look like they had assembled their armor piece-meal until they were fully covered. Also, these were some of the first models I painted at Godfiend's house when we were having our painting parties over the breaks in school.
If you're lucky enough to be friends with someone that plays Warhammer, or some other tabletop game where about 20x the hours you spend playing are spent painting, you should get together with them, bring all your models, and paint all night long. Even after everyone else has gone home or to sleep, you should keep painting until 6am when your friend's parents come down to make coffee. Do this 3 times a week, and you'll have a sizable army in no time.
I like the way these models were painted, except for the one with gold gauntlets and red wrist guards; every time I look at him I'm reminded of Ronald McDonald. I'd probably eat at McDonald's if their mascot was an Orc, though.

Picture 4: This is my Night Goblin Big Boss. He came with the army box I got for Christmas last year that kicked off my warhams addiction. I usually run him as a NG shaman, but I'm sure he'll be a good attachment to my NG units as a big boss. Strangely enough, there is hair growing out of the skulls on his back thing. I can't think of a reason why.

Pictures 5 and 6: These are my NG speargobbos. I've heard running them in blocks of 21, 7 wide is optimal, but I've yet to use them in combat. I mostly play 1k games and most of those points are taken up by fanatics and my Big Boss. Also pictured is my NG w/ swords command group. As I was shuffling the speargobbos onto a piece of paper to move them into the light, take some pics, then move them back, I decided it wasn't worth getting stabbed my them and the others to warrant taking a picture of all 60. Also, Warlock Purple is a bitch to paint on a black undercoat. It was taking about 3 hours to do 5 night gobbos, so I wasn't too keen on painting 40 of them. So what does Godfiend do? He buys me 20 more. To watch me suffer. Then I bought a pot of Mechrite Red foundation, which made these little bastards as easy to paint as if I had stuck with black on their cloaks.

Pictures 7-9: These are my NG fanatics. Nothing too special about the paint job. I added a little bit of purple to their outfits so they'd have a little cohesion with the rest of my Night Goblins, but I painted them black so they'd obviously stand out (in the heat of battle I would want them to immediately know which goblins to throw out of the unit when the enemy gets too close). Just about every battle I've played against Godfiend's Lizardmen I've been massacred. By my own hand. And I was laughing my ass off for every moment of it. These little monsters are wonderful at clearing the board of every living thing, from his Saurus Warriors to my blorcs (Who panicked, then ran through 2 other units of mine). The funny thing is; before I bought them, I didn't think I would need them or want them.
Picture 8 is of the wrecking ball one of the fanatics uses. I painted the entire area with Blood Red, then with the side of my brush, used Chainmail to cover up the red on the ball, leaving it only in the face.
Picture 9 is of another wrecking ball, but this one has a spike, so I lightly painted some red on the ball to show his fresh kill. Whether it was the enemy or a friendly unit is up to your imagination.

FLESHGRINDER
26-08-2009, 02:38
Pictures 1-3: This chariot is the fruit of my labor at one of those painting parties I was talking about earlier; I got an energy drink and sat down to paint this at about 8pm. When it was completely finished at 5am, I was ready for sleep. Thanks to dangerous chemicals and sleep deprivation, something that could have taken a few weeks was done in the span of 9 hours. Of all my units up to that point, this was the one I worked the hardest on to get all the paint as neat as possible. I was also afraid that the pieces wouldn't fit together properly, so I made my chariot exactly like the box art. If the 'Eavy Metal team can construct it properly, then I should be able to follow their example. I also painted all the metal with Codex Grey before putting Chainmail (my only grey and metallic paints at that point) on the blades to show the tarnish that would be on the metals Orcs use. Looking back I might try something else, but I think its a nice little detail. Also, about the time I was working on my Big Boss on foot, I noticed the snotling that comes in the sprue, and got a wonderful idea: The description for the Chariot is that it goes as fast as the orcs can, because they think their better than all the other orcs, so what better way to signify that than to put a snotling on it, hanging on for dear life so he can feel better about himself? Picture 3 has the best example of this.
The only problem with this unit is the box didn't come with a chariot base. I still have to call GW about it. Has this happened to anyone else? Because I'm not too keen on the idea of not getting what I pay for. Hopefully they'll be able to send me one for the chariot and one for my pump wagon without too much trouble.

Pictures 4-6: Here's my Orc Shaman. I painted him with Dark Angels Green because he's so in-tune with the WAAAGH! that his skin color got darker. There isn't too much special about him, I just want to know where that skull came from. Its too big to be an Orc skull. It might be a Giant skull? Or an Ogre skull. I think once I'm done painting everything I own, I'm going to go back and strip him. I'll be able to do some lighting effect form the gem and actually paint him and the rest of my army well.

FLESHGRINDER
26-08-2009, 02:56
First are my Orc Boyz w/ Shields. They were a lot of fun to paint, and they really hold their own on the battlefield with an easy 4+ armor save. I'm proud of their shields the most. I'm a huge fan of 40k Orkz, and I love the checkerboard patterns, so I put those on their shields.

This unit was a bitch to rank up. You'd think that out of 3,628,800 possible combinations for a unit, you'd find one easily?

lolno

PROTIP: Put numbers on the bottoms of bases so units that are difficult to rank up can be easily assembled before a battle. Also, shoot the Cyberdemon until it dies.

Next we have my Orc Boyz with two Choppas. These guys were also a bitch to rank up, but the protip I learned was put to good use. Also, unlike the Boyz w/ shields, there was no place to put a checkerboard pattern, so I put one on the armor of an orc.

Finally we have the Command Group that came with the box of Orcs. For them I tried to have a paint scheme that I used for all three, because they're meant to stand out against the rest of da boyz. I think I put too much blood onto the Boss's choppas, so I'm going to go over it with some chainmail to get rid of a lot of it.

Finally finally is the choppa I did for my next batch of Orcs. I bought a bunch of bitz off of Bitzbarn.com, including this one, and Ogre Kingdoms sword. I painted the rust on it using the guide on GW's site for painting rust on Ogre Kingdoms weapons (strange how well that worked out, huh?). First was an undercoat of Dark Flesh, then I stippled on Vermin Brown, then I stippled on Blazing Orange. After that was dry, I fanned out the biggest brush I have, dipped it in Chainmail, and wiped off the excess before painting it on the blade where the rust would have worn off.

When I first did it, it looked a little shoddy, but this picture of it is really good.

FLESHGRINDER
26-08-2009, 03:42
These are my Goblin Wolf Riders. I don't know what to say right now; so I'm going to let this be my segue into talking about the army box I got for Christmas last year. Inside was:
1 box of Boyz
2 boxes of NG
1 Orc Boar Chariot
1 Warboss box
10 Blorcs
1 NG Big Boss w/ Great weapon
1 Orc Shaman
10 Goblin Wolf Riders (one of the first units I started, and the last I finished)

I HATED working on my Goblin wolf riders. I don't even know why, I just did. So I kept putting it off until I had nothing left to paint. I struggled with motivating myself to paint them. Then Godfiend showed me GeOrc's log. I don't remember where, but he said that you should try to improve yourself with each model you paint. That's why the Goblin on the far right of the first picture look so different. Because I actually gave a crap about him.

First I painted all the skin with Dark Angels Green, then I did all the flesh except for the deepest parts in Goblin Green. And when I found out that someone owned Scorpion Green, I used a little for the highlights. (Another awesome part about painting parties is you can use other people's paints with extreme prejudice) Then I painted his lip with a single layer of blood red; because its kind of a thin paint and I like the way it looks sort of purple. Then instead of smashing a brush soaked in Blood Red into his eye sockets, I painted his eyes white, and his pupils red to give him actual eyes.

I loved how he turned out so much that that was how I painted the next unit of Goblin Wolf Riders. (He was originally going to just be a test run to see if it would work out like I wanted) You can see how the entire unit of bowgobbos is painted the same way. I plan on painting all future models like this too, at least until I find a way to improve even more.

My main concern is that I don't have a darker green than Dark Angels, so I don't know what to do about my Blorcs' skin tones. I'll most likely just mix up some DAG with Goblin Green to get a lighter color for them; but if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Next is my Snotling Pump Wagon. If you look really close, you can see tht it isn't actually painted or assembled. Go ahead, look again if you didn't see it the first time. No one is going to laugh at you. Along with the wagon is a box of 10 Blorcs, a box of 20 Orcs, and a Black Orc Big Boss metal figure that my girlfriend is painting for me. Next time I take pictures I'll be sure to get some of that model.

Finally we have the obligatory picture of my workspace. I keep all the labels on the paint facing away because I can identify the name of the paint looking at the color, faster than I can identify the color looking at the name. If that makes any sense. To the left is my shiny new pallet and my old water syringe from when I got my Wisdom teeth out and had to use that to get any food I ate out of the surgical holes. Fun times. Its great for controlling the amount of water I put into the pallet to water down paint. And at the top of the picture are a bunch of autographed Pirates of the Carribean photos. My basement is filled on every wall with some of the autographs my dad has collected over the years.

And to anyone that isn't up to date on safety precautions while using sharp knives: look at my middle finger in the close ups of the well-painted Gobbo wolf rider. If you're straining to cut with an exact-o knife, you're doing something very wrong.

Good news is: My knife is sharper than I thought it was
Bad news is: BLEEDING HURTS

Also, Godfiend is going to post his stuff as soon as he finds his digital camera. My stuff may be average at best, but I'm leagues ahead of him

C&C are always welcome, and thanks for reading through all those words and looking at pictures of my mediocre painting skills

Copella
26-08-2009, 06:13
Here's Uruk Teefgrinda, my warboss on his so-far unnamed mount. Suggestions are welcome

The astute viewer will also notice the star of Chaos on the boar's hind leg. This was a transfer I got from a Word Bearer CSM transfer sheet. I put it on the boar because Teefgrinda is a Black Orc, who recently escaped from the chaos dwarves of Zar Naggrund on one of the work boars (WHOOOO BACKSTORY)

The song from Timon and Pumba comes to mind. The whole bacon, hula skirt bit. "Big Pig".
Or for more of a Keanu Reaves touch, "Ziggy piggy" from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure".
Sadly, I just can't take the boar models seriously, sorry. They just make me laugh.

Elazar The Glorified
26-08-2009, 09:18
You have some nice orcs and gobbos and I like the idea of the branded boar as he's an escaped slave Orc. Very fluffy! :D

FLESHGRINDER
27-08-2009, 01:50
I'd love to hear people's opinions on how I can improve, or if I missed anything while painting my models.

I think one of my long term goals is to name every single orc I own, so I can get to know them better. Its important for every relationship to bond with your units.

Also, in commemoration of being bad ass enough to wound me, I'm trying out NMM on my Blorc unit champion's armor to give him a nice polished steel look. It won't be the best in to world, but at least it'll set him apart from the rest of the army.

Queekvondrak
27-08-2009, 23:37
well i can tell you what u did wrong with ur hobby you stabbed ur self lol :P

but seriously you did a good job on the checks though they look a little smudged but its better then what i woulda done so nice job

-Queek

FLESHGRINDER
29-08-2009, 06:08
Good news everyone! I brought my digital camera over to Godfiend's house today and he took pictures of all of his finished WoC. So you'll actually get to see his work too, whenever he gets off his lazy ass to post them.

I give it about a week, because he might wait until after he posts them in the ToFP, or because he doesn't do anything. Ever.

Also, the pictures I posted are of Godfiend's Saurus Oldblood I found one day primed and unpainted in his closet thing. So he let me paint it because I was done painting all of my guys at the time and kind of bored.

The inspiration for the paint scheme was more of a camouflage look than the Oh-my-god-my-eyes-why-are-the-hunters-vibrant-blue-in-a-tropical-jungle that GW and everyone else in the world paints Lizardmen.

I only realized now that I didn't get a picture of his back to show off the horizontal stripes. Next time I'm over, or if he finds his damn camera anytime soon we'll make sure it gets posted.

After those three pics are the WIP of my Blorc unit boss. As a first attempt at NMM, I think I"m doing pretty good so far. It's just not as good as I know I can make it, I just don't know how to improve it. So any tips would be a godsend. Also, I don't know how to paint the thigh plate on the right of the model; I can't envision how the light would reflect on it, so some help with that would be appreciated too. One my blorcs are done I don't know what I should paint: my orc boyz, or my pump wagon. I think I'll start a poll.

C&C are not only welcome, but if you've read this far into the thread its mandatory.

Godfiend
29-08-2009, 09:32
I finally have some pictures to post. But first, some comments.

He was going to paint it right next to me, with the hopes I wouldn't notice it because of how stupid he thinks I am.

It did, and still does, seem like a logical plan.

If you look really close, you can see tht it isn't actually painted or assembled. Go ahead, look again if you didn't see it the first time.

You sure? Looks finished to me... I'll have to see it in person sometime.

So what does Godfiend do? He buys me 20 more. To watch me suffer.

You make it seem like I do nothing out of the pure niceness of my heart and instead have some other motive of making you miserable.

Anyways, onto the show.

I'm painting 2k of WoC for the TofP, so I'll post WIP and whatnot of whatever crap I happen to splash paint on. I'm also starting to fix up my old lizardmen, and I might paint 1k of them for the tale. I have about 3 days to decide, so we'll see :D.

Here's 2 Chaos Knights that are "done." I have poor brush control, and I need to thin my paints. There's a lot of stuff that could be better. And they need basing. But whatever. Suffer:

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/4106/dsc03616.th.jpg (http://img93.imageshack.us/i/dsc03616.jpg/)

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/6236/dsc03625r.th.jpg (http://img269.imageshack.us/i/dsc03625r.jpg/)

Yeah. Painful. Whatever.

Here's some Chaos Warriors. They're minus the yellow trim because they're just starting their training in the ways of Tzeentch. They're also minus a champion because someone stepped on it. They also need basing. FLESHGRINDER did the freehand on the banner. Out of the kindness of his heart.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/3605/dsc03652n.th.jpg (http://img268.imageshack.us/i/dsc03652n.jpg/)

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3246/dsc03640u.th.jpg (http://img145.imageshack.us/i/dsc03640u.jpg/)

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/6104/dsc03642x.th.jpg (http://img193.imageshack.us/i/dsc03642x.jpg/)

Anyways, I need to work a lot on my painting skillz. I've found a few good sources on how to do horns, so I'm gonna try that. Thinner paints, steadier hands, etc., also. But if you, Dear Reader, have any other suggestions on how I can stop offending your eyes with these monstrosities, then I would appreciate it.

Also, please vote for "Die in a fire." kthx bai

mdiscala
29-08-2009, 13:34
Lol, die in fire! That gave me a good chuckle. I think your stuff looks good. Could definitely use a good wash on the chaos warriors and maybe on the orcs. Also when you get those bases done they will look a lot better. Keep up the good work though.

FLESHGRINDER
29-08-2009, 22:33
please vote for "Die in a fire." kthx bai

Thanks.

I really value our friendship.

Edit: Also, does anyone know of a good way to paint Black Orc skin? Hopefully without resorting to GW's preferred method of using every paint they've ever produced

Edit: I bought Snot Green and Scorpion Green. I plan on using DA Green as the basecoat, then mid-tones with Snot Green, then highlights with Goblin Green. I'm also going to use my Thraka Green wash on them. This way my Blorcs will have a darker tone than my other greenskins. Hopefully they'll stand out but not have the flat DA Green I was painting them before

FLESHGRINDER
31-08-2009, 23:22
For the three or so people that will actually click on this thread:

College started up again, so I'm not going to be able to get much done, but I plan on finishing the armor on my blorc unit boss by this weekend at the latest, so I'll have some pictures up eventually. Good thing I'm not part of the ToFP.

Edit: I'm almost done with my blorc boss's NMM armor; so pictures are coming soon. So the three of you that will click on this thread will be able to see my first attempt at NMM

FLESHGRINDER
10-09-2009, 03:08
Guess what?

1ST PAGE AGAIN

Unfortunately, I didn't finish my Blorc's NMM armor. Fortunately, I took pictures of my Blorc. I had a hard time making sure the light point was the same on each of the surfaces, and because I didn't work on it continuously (I didn't paint it for a few days) I forgot a couple of key things. Like watering down my paints a lot, or remembering to shade the grey, instead of completely painting over it multiple times. I need to redo his Left shoulder, to smooth it out a bit, and I still need to do the back. I really only want to make the light source shine in the front to make it more realistic, but then all the detail on the back doesn't show as well. I'm going to make his axe NMM gold. I still don't know what to do about the skull on his gutplate.

Suggestions for him are always welcome.

This is the Black Orc Big Boss that my girlfriend painted. I think she did a really nice job, especially on the horns (Not like I can say any different). I still can't decide if I'm going to switch him out to be the Black Orc boss and make my NMM boss the Big Boss.

The next picture is of one of my Orc Boyz; number 1 I think. I took the picture to get you guys' opinion on his choppa. I"m thinking of putting a couple of layers of Badab Black onto the chainmail of my Blorc weapons to get the same effect I had with the Chainmail-Chaos Black mix I used before. If I go that route, I'm going to have to get really good at making sure I apply it evenly over the non-sharp part of the blade.

I just looked at that picture and realized you can't even see it all that well. I promise to take better pictures in the future

Moving on, this next picture is of a can of Testor's Dullcote. I read somewhere on Warseer that GW changed the formula for their Purity Seal, and it sucks now, so people are using Dullcote. Luckily for me, the hobby shop up the street sells it. I was going to buy it from Testor's site, but its a $4.95 can, and shipping would have been $6. So I was like "no." When its not a humid day, and I don't have work or school, I'm going to spray it on my night goblins to see how good it is. (I'm smart enough to know I'm incompetent enough to warrant not using it on my well-painted models first) Maybe you guys will witness the sin that is my or Godfiend's faces when I take the pictures, because I'm 90% sure he'll want me to waste some of it on his abortions.

Finally, we have my Orc dice. It was with these little hell-spawned plastic cubes that I massacred myself against Godfiend's Lizardmen. Multiple times. I really like them.

Thanks for putting up with looking at my eye-sores for more than 9 out of 10 doctors would recommend. (That tenth doctor wants you to get cancer)

Edit: REMEMBER TO VOTE IF YOU HAVEN'T! I don't want to die :cries: Also, C&C are more than welcome

Edit: I feel bad for not responding to everyone's comments. This weekend I'll make sure to respond.

FLESHGRINDER
11-09-2009, 00:46
I got a better picture of my proposed choppa metal now. The only problem is, its going to take a lot of time and coats of Badab Black to get anywhere near the paint I was using before. I think I might do this for all my orcs from now on.

The next three pictures are of my Boyz command group. I was bored today, so I decided to try free-handing some stuff. Like usual, the pictures suck, but on each of their left upper arms is a blue skull.

I sprayed the Dullcote on my unit of NG w/ bows. I honestly have no idea what I was expecting, other than to cover them in a protective varnish, so I didn't take any pictures. I must have been dropped when I was a baby.

@Copella: What's wrong with Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure? It was Keanu Reeves' best work. And what's wrong with the boar model? I agree with you on the regular boar model (The one used for Boar Boyz), but I happen to like the way the warboss' boar looks.

@Elazar: Thanks! Godfiend says I've got a good "tabletop standard"; which he probably means it sucks. I'm trying my best to improve my painting skill and style, so they'll only look better from now on. (Unless I mess up, which is entirely possible)
I think you did a great job on your WoC Knights(?). How did you do the purple so well?

@Queekvondrak: Thanks for pointing out the smudges; I'm going to go over them again before I varnish my boyz. I keep telling myself that once I paint a model its 'done' and I shouldn't go back and re-do it, but I'm pretty sure that's a stupid idea. I'm not going to Simple Green my army every time my skill improves, but I like knowing where I can touch up already painted models.
How are your Skaven coming along? I like the Purple cloaks; I'm sure they'd fit right in with my Night Gobbos.

@mdiscala: Every time I go over the skin on my boyz with Thraka Green, it looks like I haven't done anything at all. But I did notice that it helps to smooth out the layers on my Goblin Wolf Riders. I plan on basing all of my models, because it'll look excellent; but I'm a little reluctant to start that endeavor because I have more than 140 models, and Godfiend won't let me use that much of his flock. I'm also looking for ideas to make my bases look really good, so that they stand out from the run-of-the-mill 'grass over sand' basing. I'm sure that'll work nicely for my night goblins though.
I really like the color scheme you've got going on your Warriors of Chaos; it's got a great feel to it. You'll have to tell me how you did it.

As always: VOTE and C&C are always welcome.

Queekvondrak
12-09-2009, 02:24
guys are looking good flesh i like the tattoos on thier armsmakes the army look more customized. you might want to glaze over the bronze because it looks a bit shiny for orcs imo. an easy thing to do for orcs and mounted models is take some super glue and an old nasty brush. brush the super glue on there then put the bases in pea gravel which u can pick up dirt cheap at any hard ware store or your back yard. then just do the super glue thing again over the gravel to make sure it sticks. itll look different like there charging out of rocky mountains or something like that

edit: how does the testers coat work is it clear or does it make the models frosty like the gw coat sometimes does

FLESHGRINDER
22-09-2009, 21:16
Seeing as how school has started up again, I don't really have much time to work on my guys. Saying 'infrequent updates' would be an understatement. So to the 3 people that will read through this thread from now until I post some more pictures, I apologize. On a high note, I ordered a lot of stuff from Bitzbarn.com, mostly shields from other armies, but I think they'll make a nice addition to my army (once they're propery looted, of course). I'm also working on a new skin recipe for my army, so I guess when my first orc boy is done, I'll give him a looted shield to show the three of you the test subject for the style I'm going for.

I bought:
-High Elf Silver Helm Blank Shield (this is going to be tough, but awesome if I do it right)
-Dark Elf Warrior Shield (which I've already painted up, but not looted yet)
-Empire General Skull Heraldry Shield
-Chaos Space Marine Tzeentch Symbol (for Godfiend)
-Ogre Kingdom Irongut Gut Plate with 3 Spikes & Chainmail (Ogre gutplates look awesome: I've got 4)
-Space Marine Purity Seals x3 (to put on the Empire shield, and the orc's face)

I might be able to get some new pictures this weekend; if I'm not too busy catching up with school work. Kids, don't listen to your parents; Get a Liberal Arts degree or anything easier than Mechanical Engineering.

@Queekvondrak: I watered down some Hawk Turquoise to wash over the Tin Bitz on the command group; I think it makes a simple tarnish look but still gets the point across that their armor isn't shiny and new. Thanks for the idea! Also your description on how to base the models is really close to what I used before: instead of super glue, we just used watered-down school glue that I brushed on. I only used Godfiend's flock, but if I ever get any gravel, I'll try out what you said. I think the school glue should hold the gravel just as well. Testor's dullcote goes on completely clear; it didn't make my NG's look any different than the non-coated ones. The only thing is, it gives the model a different texture. That's the only way I know that I've actually sprayed some on them. That's the only bad thing I can think about the Dullcote; I don't know how much I've sprayed on the models.

Again, please vote and C&C are always accepted. I don't want to die in a fire :(

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
22-09-2009, 21:53
The orcs looks good so far, I really loved those black orcs with great weapons I have about 20 of them so I can field a nice looking unit from them if I want:p. I'm looking forward to the next update

Greetz

mdiscala
22-09-2009, 23:14
Good NMM that must have taken forever. I dont know about base ideas, maybe go to your local craft store and buy a bunch of different model train stuff and go wild? My color scheme is basically a bunch of badab black wash over a sloppy base coat and then one more highlight on top of that. Oh and i try not to use any colors but black brown and silver. If I do use a color I wash it out. Thanks for the interest.

FLESHGRINDER
25-10-2009, 14:33
From the very depths of page 9, I bring you more of my mediocre painting skills, only for this thread to sink back into the abyss for another month.

As promised, a month ago, Here's some pictures of my new Orc Boy with looted shield. I'm really proud of him, and obviously, he's the best thing I've painted so far. I wish I could take better pictures.
The first picture is of his choppa and the glyph I free-handed on it. It took maybe 4 layers of extremely thinned-down paint to make sure it didn't look clumpy. That was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to paint; if I messed up even a little bit I'd have to redo the entire choppa because I don't know how I did the blade.
The second picture (aptly named Orc Boy 2.jpg) shows the Dark Elf shield I looted. I painted the entire thing black, then mixed some white into the black to draw the basic outline of the DE glyph. Then more white. Then more white. Then more white. Then more white. After the fourth coat, when I realized this was going nowhere, I just drew a thin line of white for the glyph, then a thicker one over it because I wasn't happy with the first line. After that dried, I made a Hawk Turquoise glaze and painted it over the glyph to give it a magical look. Again, after about 4 coats and realizing it wasn't working, I made a Hawk Turquoise wash and painted the glyph with that. The whole process probably took 2 to 3 hours. Then the next day I painted WAAAGH!!! over it. That took about 5 minutes.
The third picture is of the Orc Boy's face. (He still needs a name, so if anyone has any ideas) His head is the one with the stupid top knot-pony tail thing. I cut that off immediately and filed it down smooth. Orcs shouldn't have hair. I started with Dark Angels Green and through maybe 10 layers I got up to a Goblin Green-Scorpion Green mix for the highlights. The problem with 10 layers is I didn't realize it at the time, but I was painting over entire layers with the next one. so on his right arm you can see where there's a jump from DA Green to the rest of his skin color. I'm a little unhappy with that, but he's just a rank and file test subject, so its not a big deal. His mouth and gums were basecoated Mechrite Red and for his tongue I worked up to a Blood Red. His teeth were basecoated Iyanden Darksun (I had just purchased it and wanted to know if it would work) which I coated with Dark Flesh, then Snakebite, then Bleached Bone, then Leviathan Purple wash (I had also just purchased it). This didn't turn out so well, so I just highlighted it with Skull White.
Picture number 4 is of his armor and pants. What I originally wanted to do was what the 'Eavy Metal team does and do a Chaos Black vest with grey highlights. But my water dropper (a re-purposed mouth hole cleaner from when I got my wisdom teeth removed) is a bit touchy and I accidentally squirted too much water into the paint. So I decided to build up from black to Codex Grey making as realistic highlights as I could. Same principle with his pants. I think I added too much water to the blue on purpose so I could get a realistic look. Except I don't think orcs would have blue pants. I'm a little reluctant to paint more Orc Boy pants like that in the future; I'm not too keen on highlighting ass cheeks.

The shield is a bit I bought off Bitzbarn.com (I suggest going there, fast shipping with a flat S&H rate, very reliable, and gave me a refund for a bit they couldn't give me). It's the 'Empire General Skull Heraldry Shield'. I'm going to put some Space Marine purity seals on it, and the orc that's using it. I just don't know how to paint it, because I can't find any pictures of it on GW's site. So if anyone has any tips on how to do that, I'd be greatful.

The next pic is of the 'Empire wounded Orc'. I'm going to be painting it up for Silversword, another friend that got dragged into our painting parties. I really like the idea of the wounded model, and am thinking of getting one myself so I can paint it up and put it in front of my chariott whenever I get around to buying a base for it. Make it look like the Chariot's about to take out the orc for being too slow. I just wish GW had placed the hand in a better place. I just don't want to think about an orc with his hand on his crotch in a reclining position. I'm thinking of starting with Snot Green, and highlighting up through Rotting Flesh to make him look like he's got an unhealthy palor, then use a Leviathan Purple wash to exaggerate his condition. I wish they gave a less angry head for the model though; to me it looks unrealistic that an Orc dying from an arrow wound would still have his war-face on.

The final picture is of a Tyranid I painted up. Silversword bought the Assault on McCragge Reach 4th ed starter set and wants to start Space Marines. The Tyranids are for Godfiend, who likes Tyranids. The scheme isn't Team Kraken exactly, but I tried copying what I saw on DoW II without knowing that it was really the scheme Hivefleet Kraken uses. Godfiend's idea is green armor on grey flesh, which is pretty cool. I know it's not Fantasy, but I'd rather put one picture in here to show what I've been working on since I last updated, than to start a whole thread about one picture of one badly-painted model. If I ever start 40k (next year at the very very earliest) I'd play Orks. Obviously.

I've been thinking of doing all my new Blorcs in NMM armor, but I'm either going to have to get very good at it very fast, or shelve that idea for a loooooong time. I think it'd look cool if I can manage it. Then we can finally see whether or not I make my Pump Wagon or die in a fire.

@Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull: Yeah the new Blorcs look amazing; I'm glad I found the box of plastics before I bought the metal ones (and payed about $20 more). I'm envious of your drive to paint 10,000 points of O&G, and a little frightened by it. If there's anyone to ask, it'd probably be you; Have you ever seen plastic Arrer Boyz, or plastic anything Squigs? Because I'd love to have those in my army, but I don't want to buy the metal ones off GW's site, 3 for $16 (Arrer Boyz) or the set of 5 Squig hoppers for $30. Keep up the good work.

@mdiscala: I looked at the hobby store by my house and they have Ballast for trains, which I think should work for basing; plus, for the same amount of money as GF9 basing stuff I can get like 5x more. So I'll look into that for my horde. Thanks for the idea!

As always, C&C are more than welcome and you really should vote, because I swear I'm going to do my Blorcs. One of these days.

Edit: I think I've decided on a scheme for my blorc skin, so next time I make a post I'll show the scheme and the results.

Queekvondrak
26-10-2009, 03:30
they look bad ass not gonna lie though the carapace on the gun i'd keep that the same color as the termagant if its it might just be bad lighting but overall the boy and the gant look really good

Bladelord
28-10-2009, 00:46
That's how the greenies should look!

All looty and fond of tribal paintings. :)

precinctomega
19-05-2010, 07:07
Easy Black Orcs: Paint them the way you paint regular Orcs then wash the whole damn thing with Badab Black. Job Done.

And you really, really need to add some sand and flock to the bases.

R.

TheMaster
19-05-2010, 07:16
I'll start the fire.

Sork21
19-05-2010, 10:33
very nice orcs there, however i am concerned by the 45.83% of people that suggest you go die in a fire...

FLESHGRINDER
20-05-2010, 04:50
@precinctomega: Holy threadomancy, Batman! Thanks for the tip, but wouldn't a Badab black wash just make the blorcs look dirty? I've seen when people use a brown wash over the base coat and it looks like a basecoated model that got dirty. I'll have to try it out, though. By the way, I'm a huge fan of your stuff
@TheMaster: 7 months ago the Pump wagon was winning. Why is life so cruel? :cries:
@Sork21: I'm very concerned too. I can't be that bad of a painter can I? Maybe I'm just a bad person. Oh well.

Well, I guess now is as good as ever to update this log. The semester just ended at school and as of this moment I have painted exactly 1 (one) complete model since 7 months ago. The wounded orc model I was asked to paint. Instead of the DA Green into Rotting flesh, I used Alucard56's night goblin skin recipe:
1: Knarloc Green
2: Badab Black
3. Knarloc Green
4: (2:1) Knarloc Green/Bleached Bone
5: (1:1) Knarloc/BB
6: (1:2) Knarloc/BB
7: (1:3) Knarloc/BB
8: Devlan Mud
I don't have a picture of the model, but I plan on getting one soon so I can show everyone that 7 months of downtime does not significantly improve painting ability. Also, I don't suggest anyone ever taking that long of a break from painting; painting is too much fun to stop for so long, even if school gets in the way.

I felt I could do a better job on the blorc I started so long ago, so I decided to give him a Simple Green bath. I'm going to try the method Joe Tomaszewski of the 'Eavy Metal team used on the Games Day Chaos Lord model (the guide can be found on GW's site). I think it'll be a lot simpler (maybe) and if I can get the glazing right, look almost magical, like it was made by the Chaos Dwarfs.

Unfortunately for the 41.51% of the voters that want me dead, I started on my Pump Wagon early. I was really inspired by the 'Skaven: Screaming Bell stage-by-stage assembly and painting' article and how they did the wood and metal. I've put in about 8 hours of work so far on it, and the wagon part is almost done; I just need to highlight the wood and metal and then I can figure out how to paint the snotlings. When I remembered this thread and the poll, I felt a little bad about skipping over my blorcs, but I think painting 10 NMM blorcs is going to be a very big project. I hope to make that my next project (I'm already really excited about disappointing myself for not having Joe Tomaszewski's skill).

If you're familiar with the Tale of Fantasy Painters then you know they try to paint a whole army (2000 points I believe?) in the course of a year. My goal isn't as big, but my timescale is a lot shorter: I plan on painting everything I own before school starts up again. If I pull it off it'll be a lot of fun, and I'll have a huge boost to my army. If I don't get everything painted then it's going to be another long break before I can hope to finish my stuff (I don't think I'll have much time to paint in between Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics).
Currently I still have to paint:
19 Orc boyz w/ shields + full command group
10 Black Orcs
1 Snotling Pump Wagon
1 Giant
1 Grumlok and Gazbag from the Warhams Online collector's edition (I picked it up from Half-Price Books for $15. The box came with the model, the comic book, the concept art book, and of course the game. I only bought the boxed set for the model.)
3 Night Goblin Fanatics
1 Troll
2 Night Goblin Shamans
1 'Reaper Minis Chronosphere' legally-distinct-from-Doc-Savage model for my dad (He likes those old Pulp Magazines, which I think is really cool)
1 'Reaper mini' Sir Broderick, Crusaders Captain
2 '.45 Adventure' robots for my dad
1 'Warmachine' Cryx skull crusher bone robot of death and hatred and murder forever thing for Godfiend
So I think I've got my work cut out for me. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it all in like 3 months.

My plan for the unit of 20 boyz is to paint them all different skin tones, and to the best of my ability; so that I can figure out a reasonable price for the whole unit and sell it on ebay or something. I'm thinking whatever GW sells a box for, plus the cost of any bitz used, plus some for my time painting; maybe an additional $15. That way I'll make some money off it and someone somewhere can have a (in my opinion) well painted unit of boyz with some personality for not much more than the cost of the boyz themselves. That way everyone wins.

If anyone knows a way to paint a bronze skin tone like Doc Savage would have (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/49/Manofbronzebama.jpg) for the Reaper Legally-distinct-from-Doc-Savage model, I'd be glad to hear it. Also, any tips on how to paint monochromatic stuff, like Doc Savage would be wonderful.

FLESHGRINDER
21-05-2010, 14:04
WOOOOOOOOOO REAL PICTURES NOW

I took some pictures of the progress on my pump wagon yesterday. I wish I had a fancy daylight bulb, or that I had taken it out into the sunlight. The only problem is I'm paranoid about the model chipping. Whenever we'd get together to paint, and I'd be working on my pump wagon, I'd wrap every individual piece in tissue paper so that they don't rub up against each other or against anything else. My friends call me OCD about all of this. I'm just being careful.
I love the detail that metal models have, but I have a lot of trouble with handling them because they always chip on the corners or wherever they touch anything harder than my skin. Am I doing something wrong or am I just being careless?
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr174/partygirl1450981/Pumpwagon1.jpg
Like I said before, I used the Skaven: screaming bell stage-by-stage article. I couldn't get the Devlan Mud wash to be as dark as the screaming bell. And it wasn't my wash (painting parties have saved me a lot of money), so I didn't want to use too much of it, but I think it looks pretty good so far.
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr174/partygirl1450981/Pumpwagon3.jpg
Usually when people say a model has a lot of character, Godfiend and I like to joke that 'character' means ugly. Because, let's face it, a lot of the old models that people say have a lot of character are so ugly that the only thing good you can say about it is that its got a lot of character. But when I put all the snotlings onto the model to see where they'd fit, I have to say, this model has a lot of character. I'm glad I bought it; but I'm going to be mad if they redo it in plastic and it ends up better looking. I guess I'll just have to buy another one then
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr174/partygirl1450981/Grumlok.jpghttp://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr174/partygirl1450981/Grumlokaxe.jpg
This is Grumlok & Gazbag, the model I bought for $15 and got a free month of Warhams Online, a free Warhams Online concept art book, and a free Warhams Online comic book. The orc chapter was the best; except for the part where the Dark Elves are controlling Grumlok, and win a battle for him with their power gem thing.
I can't wait to start on him. He weighs like half a pound and is about as tall as a dreadnought model. I'm a little worried about the fur cape he's wearing, I don't know how to do fur; so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

And that's a smilie face on my thumb
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr174/partygirl1450981/SirBroderick.jpg
This is Reaper Mini's Sir Broderick, Crusaders Captain. I'm painting him up to be my character in a D&D campaign that starts later tonight. I know he's not finished, but I'm working on it. I don't think it'll be finished by the time we start, but at least I've got some stuff done.
I originally bought the model because I thought he was unarmed. If you look closely at his right foot, the giant rectangular thing is the head of his hammer. None of the pictures on the website show it very well. Ok, that's a lie. I just didn't see it before I bought it. oh well.
I already painted him once, and had to strip him because I've only ever painted orcs & goblins, so I'm only really good with green skin tones. I tried the 'palid skin tone' GW shows in either their 'painting faces masterclass' or 'painting faces masterclass redux'.
Its a really cool model, but I don't like how its a single metal piece. And I think there's a casting mistake on his face, or else they really need to get a better sculptor. I only paid $6.50 for it, so I guess its not too bad.

Hopefully now that the semester is over Godfiend and I will be able to update this log more frequently than twice a year.

C&C are always welcome, and actively encouraged

Lew_b81
22-05-2010, 00:11
Pump wagon is looking good! I know what you mean about the Snotlings - when you put them on it all starts to make sense.

Grumlock is a totally sweet model, I have one sitting around waiting for some paint. Fur is easy, my friend! Firstly, pick an animal you want it to look like and look at photos of said animal. Then you want to start with a medium/dark colour, drybrush the medium colour on top, lighter drybrush of medium/light colour, and then carefully go over an individually highlight the tips of the fur with your light colour. After that give the whole thing two washes. First one to add some colour (quite thinned down though) - using yellow, green, blue, something complimentary. Then the second one of your dark colour (or dark colour equivalent) to heighten the shading and blend your drybrushed colours together.

Oh on the chipping models front, it's just one of those things. When you're finished painting though, definately use a spray varnish. If it's something particularly pointy like the Pump Wagon, a couple of coats of it are a must!

FLESHGRINDER
23-05-2010, 04:30
To everyone else who has a thread in the Fantasy section: don't worry, you'll be able to have the front page back, I doubt my updates will be very frequent.

@Lew_b81: Thanks for the advice! When I get around to painting him I'll be sure to try that out. You'll have to take some pictures and post the results of you painting your Grumlok, so I can see how I've messed up mine. I can't wait to see more of your ogres. (Can you tell me what this current one is going to be?)

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr174/partygirl1450981/Models/Broderickbronzearmor.jpg
After I took those pictures yesterday, I got the urge to paint again, so I sat down and painted up Sir Broderick's armor. I think it's an excellent bronze. There are a few mistakes on it because I was impatient with the drying times, but I think I'm going to strip the model again. I'm not happy with anything else on him, so disregard everything except the armor.

How I did it:
1. Dark Flesh undercoat
2. Dwarf Bronze (covering the DF)
3. Ogryn Flesh
4. Baal Red
5. Ogryn Flesh
6. Ogryn Flesh (liberally, recesses only)

I read somewhere that if you undercoat a model with a brown, and then paint a metallic gold over it, the gold ends up looking richer. So I painted Dark Flesh over the armor, hammer head, and the horn he has strapped to his back. Then I painted two coats of the Dwarf Bronze (thinned to about the consistency of milk). The armor looked a bit too red, so I put another coat on. At this point the armor was barely more red than straight Dwarf Bronze.
For the next part I was a bit stuck as to what to do, so I painted a little rectangle of Dark Flesh about the size of my index finger, and when it dried, I painted another rectangle of Dwarf Bronze over it. Then I went over sections of it about 1/4" wide with all the washes I own and my black ink. This let me see, side-by-side, what the model would look like with any of the washes applied without committing to any one. I finally settled on Ogryn Flesh (it's a nice brown, but unlike Devlan Mud, it's got a hint of red) and Baal Red (it adds a nice warm tone to the bronze).
I first painted the armor with Ogryn Flesh. It made the metal look a bit brown, so when it was dry I washed on the Baal Red. (If you're following these instructions, and I've explained them correctly, yes its supposed to look that red.) I thought I had made a mistake by using the Baal Red, so I washed it again with Ogryn Flesh. This second wash really helped to tone down the red in the armor, but it still wasn't right; there was no shading or anything, it was a mostly flat bronze color. So when this wash dried, I applied a very liberal wash to the recesses only, and that was the end result I wanted.
As a final Highlight, I mixed (probably about 5:1, I wasn't paying attention) Dwarf Bronze and Chainmail and painted all the raised edges and the collar. In the picture of the hammer, the highlights are straight Dwarf Bronze. To me they don't 'pop' as much as the highlights on the armor. The chainmail really helps to change the color slightly to make it not blend in too much.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr174/partygirl1450981/Models/BroderickBronzeaxe.jpg
Here's the hammer; like I said, the highlights aren't as noticeable. Once again, disregard everything except the bronze.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr174/partygirl1450981/Models/VGCThinner.jpg
This stuff is amazing. I use it to thin down my metallic paints and foundations because, unlike water, the pigments and metallic particles stay in solution, which saves a boat-load of hassles. Plus, it costs less than a GW paint pot, and you get more. Plus plus, Valejo's Game Color line is made to copy GW's paints, meaning when my paints are all used up I'll be buying those.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr174/partygirl1450981/Models/Robots.jpg
These are the robots I'll be painting up for my dad. I know they're not 'Fantasy', but they're not the focus of this log, so they're going to be relegated to 'before and after' shots. I'm thinking of making one bronze and the other some sort of steel or something. It'll be good practice for true-metallics and glazing when I make their eye-slots glow with murderous rage.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr174/partygirl1450981/Models/DocSavage.jpg
The Legally-Distinct-From-Doc-Savage model, also for my dad. It's going to be tough figuring out how to paint human skin tones.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr174/partygirl1450981/Models/Warmachine.jpg
And finally here's the Bone harvesting child murderer Warmachine model Godfiend gave me to paint. It's still in its original state too, which is good if I ever decide to sell it to feed my Warhams addiction. (Don't tell him though, he thinks I'm working on it.)

I hope to definitely pick up the pace. Some time soon I'm going to start painting the snotlings for the pump wagon, then it'll be easy to do the blades and front shield. If I can get over to Godfiend's house to paint I'll be able to re-prime my blorc so I can finally get started on the NMM armor.

Does anyone know a way to incorporate an orange or brown into an orc's skin tone? I've got a bunch of different recipes saved, but none do that, and it'd be a great help to me finishing my box of boyz.

Edit: Black Umbrella, another friend we not only got roped into Warhams, but into coming to our painting parties, is going to be posting his stuff here soon too

Black Umbrella
29-05-2010, 06:20
Well hello there everybody. This is my first post on Warseer, and you're all going to be a part of it. It's actually really late at time of posting, and I have no light with witch to photograph my minis. This being the case, pics and explanations will be edited into this tomorrow morning, yay.

themasterofstyx
29-05-2010, 09:49
Oh on the chipping models front, it's just one of those things. When you're finished painting though, definately use a spray varnish. If it's something particularly pointy like the Pump Wagon, a couple of coats of it are a must!

Spray varnish is ok but If you really want to be sure, I would use the 'Arcoat with a brush and after thats dried some spray matt varnish to take of the shine. This gives really solid coat that protects the paintjob. I do that with all my metal models - for plastics ive found that normal spray is enough.

I would never even dream of transporting my metal minis without them being individually packed.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
29-05-2010, 10:03
Hi,

I never seen plastic squiqs unfortunatly, but plastic arrer boyz exist, either old 5ed models or the plastic arrer boyz from the 6ed starter set. The ones from the 6ed starter box can you find on ebay easily.

Cheers,
G

Black Umbrella
29-05-2010, 16:16
OK, here we go.

First off is some of my very first models out of my box of shame.
http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10743.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10746.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10747.jpg
I'm seriously considering stripping these guys and painting them again, so that's all I'll say about them until that's done.

Black Umbrella
29-05-2010, 16:18
Next up is my DoomWheel. I painted this after getting like 8 Clan Rats done, and in retrospect I definitely needed to get some more experience before doing this. There is no way I can strip this, because I just can't get to all of the pieces when it's assembled.
http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10748.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10749.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10750.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10752.jpg

Black Umbrella
29-05-2010, 16:18
This next guys was a hell of a lot of fun, and also a good reason that I should never be allowed near 40k bitz. The arms are actually power fists from possessed marines, and for a while I wanted this guy to be my warlord. Unfortunately, he has no hope of ever ranking up with anything.
http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10753.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10754.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10755.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10757.jpg

Black Umbrella
29-05-2010, 16:22
This next group sat around for a long time before I painted them. This was definitely a turning point for me as far as effort and skill, and at the time they were the best thing I'd ever painted. This is also when I chose to go with the blue color scheme, and when I really started to want to improve.
http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10758.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10759.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10761.jpg

Black Umbrella
29-05-2010, 16:22
This next model really inspired me, and this is really where I hit my stride. In fact, this is the first model I ever used highlighting on. Ikit Claw is one of the coolest minis in the Skaven army, and I'm glad I got to do him justice.
http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10762.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10763.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10764.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10766.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10767.jpg

Black Umbrella
29-05-2010, 16:25
OK, this is my last painted Warhammer model for the time being. Easily the best thing I've painted to date. I ended up doing a lot of experimenting with the 'Ardcoat on this guy, and I think it came out really well.
http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10768.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10769.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10771.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10772.jpg

Black Umbrella
29-05-2010, 16:29
This is a model I threw together one day out of boredom, and yet another piece of evidence that I should not be anywhere near 40k stuff. I made this thinking it could easily represent nearly any of the weapon teams. Most of the pieces are from a Clan Rat box, and the backpack and gun are a Space Marine Plasma Cannon. Lots of fun to build, probably going to be hell to paint.
http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10773.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10774.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10775.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10776.jpg

Black Umbrella
29-05-2010, 16:37
Last but not least is my Warlord on a Rat Ogre Bonecrusher Mount. This almost entirely metal (except for the stone which is in fact stone), and it weighs easily half a pound or more. When I got the rat Ogre, it was in that stupid macho man pose that they used to all be in, so I had to cut off every arm (at the elbows on his right, and the shoulder on his left) to repose him into something decent. The model on top is actually the OOC Grey Seer Thanquol, and I put him on top of an orc shield I got from Fleshgrinder. I plan to make the corpse on the rock a gory mess, and when it's all painted up, I'm going to make intestines out of green stuff going from the corpse, into the Ogre's mouth, and into the Ogre's left hand.
http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10777.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10778.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10780.jpghttp://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/The_Black_Umbrella/Skaven/SDC10782.jpgDoomwheel is in that last one for a size comparison.

FLESHGRINDER
05-06-2010, 04:26
Finished my pump wagon, unfortunately the camera I used kind of made the colors a bit off. I don't know how to describe it, but the model looks better in person. Oh well.
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr174/partygirl1450981/Models/100_0325.jpg
When I get a chariot base for this, I think I'm going to buy the 'wounded orc' model and put it in front of the chariot, and also put the crushed goblin from the giant box behind it. Make it look like the Snotlings are pre-occupied with culling the herd, rather than fighting the enemy.
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr174/partygirl1450981/Models/100_0333.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr174/partygirl1450981/Models/100_0334.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr174/partygirl1450981/Models/100_0335.jpg

I tallied up all the Warhams stuff I need to paint before the end of summer, and it came up to 640 points. With the Pump Wagon done, I'm still looking at 600 points, but at least one of the biggest models is done. Next I think I'm going to do the Giant, so I'll try to post WIP shots. If I'm any good at painting human skin tones.
A few days ago, my dad asked me if I could paint those two robots up as Nazi robots. Which means the most complete anyone here is going to see them is without any such symbols and one not on its base (I'd rather not Warseer think I'm a neo-nazi).

A long time ago, Godfiend gave me 4 Chaos Warrior shields, so I painted one up in Khorne colors. I'm going to paint up one for each god.
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr174/partygirl1450981/Models/100_0327.jpg

I think I've got about 2.5 months left before the fall semester, and with 600 points left, I've got my work cut out for me.