PDA

View Full Version : Played it for the first time last night...

Starblayde
26-08-2009, 10:39
And the general impression from everyone around and involved was 'wow!'.

Fast, furious and deadly. Excellent models (except maybe the Broodlord who just looks like a slightly enlarged 'Stealer, rather than being something special) particularly the Terminators. The card sections are very thick, glossy and embossed - which had everyone stroking them and saying 'ooh' :D

There are lots of awesome rules that make combat incredibly deadly and overall the sense you get from playing is certainly one of claustrophobic, intense action as the blips close in. It's very cinematic, too, as a 'Stealer charging down the corridor, its every step being met by a new blast of sustained stormbolter fire, is a really tense, slow-motion moment. In short, Michael Bay would have cinematic orgasms if he made a movie based on Space Hulk...

After watching the first mission, where the Nids won, I got to control the Nids in the second mission, where each Terminator was controlled by a different player, which was certainly an experience. Both sides, however, are great fun to play. A little later on I stepped up to command the Emperor's finest and watched with triumph as my Sergeant gunned down a dozen 'Stealers before finally succumbing to the vicious, ripping claws.

It's made me want to buy it, certainly. Quite whether the Bank Manager and the girlfriend will agree is another matter entirely.

Jagged
26-08-2009, 11:10
It's very cinematic, too, as a 'Stealer charging down the corridor, its every step being met by a new blast of sustained stormbolter fire, is a really tense, slow-motion moment. In short, Michael Bay would have cinematic orgasms if he made a movie based on Space Hulk...

Agreed. Of course it is generally excepted that the game is inspired by James Cameron's Aliens which came out a few years before in 86.

James Cameron > Michael Bay *

*Unless there are icebergs involved ;)

Starblayde
26-08-2009, 11:23
"They're in the walls, man!"

That 'stealer diagonal movement is scary. But useful!

Dangersaurus
26-08-2009, 17:50
Agreed. Of course it is generally excepted that the game is inspired by James Cameron's Aliens which came out a few years before in 86.

James Cameron > Michael Bay *

Puhleeeeeese.

Howard Hawks/Christian Nyby > Ridley Scott > James Cameron.

carlisimo
27-08-2009, 05:48

That doesn't make Jagged's post wrong... I'd totally stick Michael Bay down below all of them!

Starblayde, I've never tried different people controlling Terminators. That sounds like a cool idea.

Starblayde
27-08-2009, 10:39
Starblayde, I've never tried different people controlling Terminators. That sounds like a cool idea.

It was a little... hectic.

As the Nid player I couldn't keep track of five Termies moving at once, so if someone 'accidentally' used more than four Action Points I had absolutely no way of knowing unless I was watching that specific model. The time limit (2m 50s one way, 3m 20s the other way, apparently) meant everyone had to move at once, lest they run out of time.

Use of Command Points was also a little haphazard as the team attempted to communicate across the table whether they had any Command Points remaining: Command Points are kept secret from the Nid player, so the Terminator player(s) can, if they want to, lie about the number they've got to spend. The Nid player can, however, call them out to reveal how many CPs they got - if the Terminators have used more than they have randomly drawn that turn, then they automatically lose the game.

As the Nid player I wouldn't actually want to call them out on it, tbh, as that's a poor way to win the contest.

But, back to the original point, having each Terminator as a different human opponent made for some fun contests as some tried to work together (notably the Assault Cannon and Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield Sergeant covering each other next to an ever-mounting pile of Stealer bodies) while others were left to fend for themselves, trying to hold off as many blips as I could throw at them.

Jagged
27-08-2009, 15:04
Puhleeeeeese.

I agree but I didn't want to start arranging all the directors that are better than Michael Bay otherwise we would be here for a while. Thought I'd just stick to the two directors that were relevant ;)

Dangersaurus
27-08-2009, 17:44
I think having teams controlling the termies may be the only way to keep people from being bored waiting for their turn at the game - anyone know how long some of the later missions are going to take?

I agree but I didn't want to start arranging all the directors that are better than Michael Bay otherwise we would be here for a while. Thought I'd just stick to the two directors that were relevant ;)

Hah, true. Scott and Hawks are relevant though, due to Alien and Thing From Another Planet, which to my mind are much better and more suspenseful movies than anything Cameron has squeezed out (Aliens had some classic dialogue though).

snottlebocket
27-08-2009, 17:52
Having a team of players control one terminator each actually sounds like a very fun way to play the game. I imagine the players become very emotionally invested in their terminator and quite eager to play as a team considering they only have one 'life' before they're out of the game.

Znail
27-08-2009, 18:30
Heh, I think its the other way around. Selfpreservation is likely to cause the Terminators to play less as a team as none wants to make the needed sacrifices.

snottlebocket
27-08-2009, 19:17
Heh, I think its the other way around. Selfpreservation is likely to cause the Terminators to play less as a team as none wants to make the needed sacrifices.

Should be a very short game then, the terminators can't watch their own backs and they're not fast enough to make a run for it.

Wickey the Viking
28-08-2009, 10:11
Having a team of players control one terminator each actually sounds like a very fun way to play the game. I imagine the players become very emotionally invested in their terminator and quite eager to play as a team considering they only have one 'life' before they're out of the game.
It's a real interresting idea. It almost gives you that WHQuest feel.

Mojaco
28-08-2009, 10:19
We played the rescue mission last night, 2 versus 2. The marine players (my side) just took a team each, while the genestealer players just took control randomly. Taking control basically meant rolling the dice for them, as any actions the termies took were discussed together.

Once we started using the genestealer turn to discuss tactics we had no trouble with the 2 minute limit, but it is still hard to cautiously move 10 termies in so little time.

We won too. We lost both sergeants and a chainfist, but the rest was still there. 2 tense moments or so (just 2x overwatch shots for an incoming genestealer and a critical terminator could be dead, putting the objective wide in the open) and everything could've been lost, but we pulled through.