PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the floor tiles?

Jagged
26-08-2009, 11:09
Does anyone know the name of the manufacturer that produces the floor tiles for GW?

The manager at my local store was describing how the tiles were made and said they produced actual 3D floor models with lighting etc. Then photographed them from above. He also said the manufacturer so loved the result they are submitting them for some industry award.

Just curious if anyone know who?

LordWhiteWolf
26-08-2009, 11:20
i'd doubt they were made from photo's of actual models, it would have all been photoshop work

Znail
26-08-2009, 11:24
It doesnt have to be actual models, but rather made by a 3d rendering program. That makes alot more sense then making actual models and can obviously generate nice pictures.

Binky
26-08-2009, 15:11
The story about them making and photographing actual models is taken from the latest White Dwarf, so I would assume it's correct. Real models were made, photographed, and then extra fiddling was done to the images in Photoshop.

Brother.Gabriel
26-08-2009, 19:27
Little in accurte with the story from the WD but essencailly it. What studio did was have one of the terrian builder make mock up of the corridors and room (basic shapes). These where then photographed from above and a one of the photoshop guys spent months adding textures and lighting effects etc....

And yes the printing company that they worked with to manufacture the tile and achive the debossing effect are entering the tiles (not the game) into one of thier industry awards - Oscar style level of awards as they where impressed by the finish. The debossing technique is something that has never been applied to this kind of product before.

mweaver
27-08-2009, 02:10
They are certainly very pretty, whoever made them.

Tommygun
27-08-2009, 02:23
Jagged you may find this place interesting.
I think it would work with a Space Hulk game.

http://www.ebblesminiatures.com/shop/aeprops2007.php

Wickey the Viking
28-08-2009, 08:52
Little in accurte with the story from the WD but essencailly it. What studio did was have one of the terrian builder make mock up of the corridors and room (basic shapes). These where then photographed from above and a one of the photoshop guys spent months adding textures and lighting effects etc....
That's indeed more likely than making all the different corridoors seperate and photographing them.

Mojaco
28-08-2009, 09:13
He also said the manufacturer so loved the result they are submitting them for some industry award.
That's because of the dented finished the floorplates have. That little suggestion of texture has not been done before, so they might be up for an award. Or so I understood.

Znail
28-08-2009, 11:09
That's indeed more likely than making all the different corridoors seperate and photographing them.

Yupp, its essentialy how I asumed it would be except them doing some rough mockups instead of everything on the cumputer. Probobly because the GW design team wanted to be involved and they are obviously more used to real models. It would be interesting to see how the mockups looks like! I wonder if they think they are too secret for that or if we could get some pictures of them later? It would be extra interesting as you could probobly use Hirst Arts to recreate them and paint them for your own use.