PDA

View Full Version : 1ed rules expansions with 3ed

hs5ias
27-08-2009, 23:44
I have everything ever printed by GW for the 1ed Space Hulk. Boxed sets, books and White Dwarfs. There is a tremendous amount of additional rules for the game in all these supplements. I have listed out most of them above (though there were a lot more, albeit many of them specific to a mission or campaign). Who plans on using these rules with their shiny, new 3ed game?

KeyanSark
28-08-2009, 06:45
Who plans on using these rules with their shiny, new 3ed game?

Everything except the psychic system from "Genestealer". I think it changed the game terribly creating a good, but totally diferente game than the original.

Due to change of timer rules, I think the captain should allow you to control the CP counter twice.

Jagged
28-08-2009, 08:06
The new set contains a multi-level missions so I guess they have included the rules for that.

I liked the psychic cards game but its play style is at odds with the core game. You have to stop and start the timer so much that you end up abandoning it altogether.

Souleater
28-08-2009, 08:45
I will be using my SH as is. I don't think it needs extra rules.

Znail
28-08-2009, 11:13
Considering how alike 1st edition the 3rd are so should most things work pretty much without any alteration if you like to add them. Points might have to be reconsidered as some weapon rules are diffrent. I hope we do get either a GW or fan made points revision anyway as its an easy way to multiply the fun of the missions by alowing alternate Terminator loadouts.

Wintertooth
28-08-2009, 12:30
I don't think it really warrants extra rules to allow different load-outs. I plan to handle things like that by suggesting to my opponent, for example, "I wonder how much harder Suicide Mission is if you include the Broodlord" or "Let's see what happens if I use the Heavy Flamer instead of the Assault Cannon in Exterminate".

I always thought the great thing about Space Hulk is how much it encouraged you to come up with new missions, modifications, etc. Points systems are unnecessary and often unworkable: no amount of extra guys will help you if the objective requires a heavy weapon.

commandergabriel
28-08-2009, 14:02
I don't think it really warrants extra rules to allow different load-outs. I plan to handle things like that by suggesting to my opponent, for example, "I wonder how much harder Suicide Mission is if you include the Broodlord" or "Let's see what happens if I use the Heavy Flamer instead of the Assault Cannon in Exterminate".

I always thought the great thing about Space Hulk is how much it encouraged you to come up with new missions, modifications, etc. Points systems are unnecessary and often unworkable: no amount of extra guys will help you if the objective requires a heavy weapon.

Correct... No extra rules right now... Most of us haven't even played it yet, so why even talk about adding extras. I want to unbox it and play it straight. I do like the idea of talking with your opponent to replay the missions with swapping the heavy weapon(s) or adding a broodlord, however, but that's what makes gaming fun for me; sportsmanship.

And its a little funny (to me) to hear people talk about combining 1st, 2nd and now 3rd edition rule sets. If someone wants the rules that existed in 1st edition then just play 1st edition. Each edition has it own element(s) that make it what it is. ;)

@ Souleater: I will be playing mine as is! :cool:

Znail
28-08-2009, 14:08

The old system was pretty basic. But you are right in that for the simple swaps of equal worth so are no points needed, like:
Sergeant->the other Sergeant
Basic Terminator<->Lightning Claws
Flamer<->Assault Cannon

But what if you want to do more funky exchanges? Sure, its good to talk to your opponent, but it seems a bit inneficient to invent the wheel everytime if all that is needed is some consensus of an aproximation. Obviouslys so wont it work everytime as some missions requires some heavy weapons and have some other special victory condition that mess things up. Its not like we end up with some complex table either as its basicly only the worth of a Sergeant, Heavy weapon and Librarian that we are talking about. And possibly what could balance out adding the Broodlord to a mission where he isnt normaly alowed. I wonder if it would violate the board rules by posting the old points from previous editions?

tsutek
28-08-2009, 15:21
I really want to include non-termie marines in my own scenarios.. Other than that (and possibly hybrids), I'm a leave everything as they are.

Patriarch
28-08-2009, 21:25
I'll be combining the new stuff with the old psychic rules and missions from SH Campaigns and the like.

The psychic rules made for a completely different game, but as long as each mission is balanced, with or without psychic rules, it's fine. I can happily play straight out of the box as well.

Also, I'm finally getting round to an updated genestealer cult army, so the models will be in place for hybrids, multiple librarians. Lovely as the new models are, for me there's no substitute of the heft of metal terminators.

GraveGuard
28-08-2009, 22:23
Hybrids and Regular marines, probably Chaos aswell, that is assuming that the rules are pretty much the same.

Dryaktylus
29-08-2009, 00:10
Hybrids. For the fun factor (and, of course, the background).

snottlebocket
29-08-2009, 17:11
Hybrids sound like a very cool addition. I always loved the whole patriarch and cult thing.

WildAnimal
31-08-2009, 16:48
Please no Hybrids! Just keep this game basic with marines vs genestealers.

I dont want this game to become a mini W40k. Hybrids with weapons will kill the feeling of the game, they did in 1st edition. The Genestealer expansion i never used. I would like the hidden blips back, and Captains plus the force lists.

The next step would be more psychic powers and other races and such. Ruins the feel of the game. Go play w40k with small armies instead.

Christine
01-09-2009, 08:18
Definitely hybrids - I love the little fellas. And why so anti WildAnimal - no ones forcing you to use them, everyone plays differently.

precinctomega
01-09-2009, 08:21
I look forward to adding loads of additional rules to my SH games in due course. But I expect to see them re-written for the new edition, rather than just borrowing them from the old editions.

R.

WildAnimal
01-09-2009, 16:08
Definitely hybrids - I love the little fellas. And why so anti WildAnimal - no ones forcing you to use them, everyone plays differently.

Becouse they really ruins the feeling of the game, and what i remember both Hybrids and more problematic, Psychic powers in the "genestealer" expansion was way overpowered and made the game a Psycher battler.

Please buy e40k game if you want a zillion different forces/minatures on your table. And let the resources to the game be used on expanding the basic game, instead of making it "another type of game".

Kebabyuchenko
01-09-2009, 16:31
I voted for all of them! When I pre-ordered my copy of 3rd ed, I ordered a Termie captain and the awesome termie chaplain, but I doubt I'll get to use them in Space Hulk. Oh well, my single tactical squad and Rhino for 40k will be somewhat bolstered!

Kebabyuchenko xxx