PDA

View Full Version : Back in '89

Jagged
28-08-2009, 10:42
The nostalgia of the re-release has me thinking about what I was doing back in 1989. I had just left University, had my first "proper" job and was listening to Debaser (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mCoOlUjhlc) a lot at very loud volumes.

2009 has me back in University (different one and working) and working but still listening to Pixes but at not quite so loud volumes. I am such an old git :D

Assuming you are also an old git what were you up to in 89?

LordWhiteWolf
28-08-2009, 13:19
I was born

AndrewGPaul
28-08-2009, 13:57
Not that old a git; I was in Primary 5 at school, about a year before I got into gaming via Advanced Hero Quest.

Jedi152
28-08-2009, 14:06
Primary school! :D

Picked up a copy of The Hobbit, which would unwittingly lead me into the hobby. Got into GW a few years later.

Crube
28-08-2009, 14:19
Young whippersnappers...

*waves walking stick*

89, I was in secondary school, just starting the 1st year of my GCSEs... This was also the year i got into Wargaming, more specifically, WFRP, with a bunch of guys from school - this led to my addiction to WFB...

beef5570
28-08-2009, 14:33
just got my first proper job after college, used to spend all my spare money on GW and met the love of my life.
Rob

Getifa Ubazza
28-08-2009, 14:36
I turned 16 in 89. I picked up my first WD that year, which led to me buying Heroquest and Space Crusade, which led to me getting into 40k and later Fantasy. I caught the tail end of Space Hulk, when I finally bucked up the courage to go to a proper GW store.

bananaman
28-08-2009, 18:22
It was the year I got into hobby via a cousin that had 3rd ed WFB, walked into my first GW store (Friar lane Nottm) and saw Space Hulk beig played. A few weeks later I bought 1st ed with my b day money from GW Derby and I played against my dad in the caravan on our hols when it was raining. He would go on to call me a cheat for moving diagonally! :P

I was 11.

AFnord
28-08-2009, 18:29
I was running around, most likely causing a lot of trouble, much like any other 4 year old kid.

DDogwood
28-08-2009, 21:02
I started high school, where I first discovered Space Hulk - it was the first GW game I played, now that I think about it. Within a couple of years I was collecting my first Wood Elf army.

starlight
28-08-2009, 21:17
Young whippersnappers...

*waves walking stick*

:rolleyes:

Youngsters these days...

I had quit the job I had from high school and was working full-time on a civil engineering field crew. Bought a new road bike I was using to commute 40km each way to work (yup, I was ripped:p), bought a new mountain bike that I was racing. Making butt loads of cash and spending it just as fast. Bought my truck that fall when the weather went to poo.

My miniatures adventures at that point were few and far between. I'd stopped playing the AD&D/RPG stuff and had yet to discover tabletop gaming.

Now I own more gaming stuff than most stores who sell it and am eyeing shuffling the bedrooms to free up a hobby room. :D

Patriarch
28-08-2009, 21:29
In the last year of high school, very excited when SH first appeared and got a copy as soon as I could afford it. I remember bunking off PE to play it at home with a mate.

The terminators formed the basis of my first WH40k army, Ultramarines.

dwarfhold13
29-08-2009, 01:59
i was in 1st grade and was 6.. didn't get into warhammer until 1999... i like hearing the "old school" stories though :D

Melchor
29-08-2009, 02:36
I was 5 years old... Sometimes, I feel old when I read this forum. Not today though. :D

Wickey the Viking
29-08-2009, 08:55
I was 11 back then, and just moved from Amsterdam to Almere. I was on the verge of buying HeroQuest and two years later getting into the whole GW experiance...

Lewis
29-08-2009, 09:14
I was already collecting White Dwarf,aged 9, I think I got Bloodbowl that year. Did anyone else have those smalerl box games like Talisman: Dungeonquest and The Warlock of Firetop Mountain? I had them.

Whitehorn
29-08-2009, 11:08
This actually marks my 20th year in the hobby. i was playing Space Hulk and Rogue Trader using paper proxies :)

Bassik
29-08-2009, 13:26
Ah, '89, I remember that summer vividly. An epic clash between the kindergartenbully and me ended in him getting to use the trycicle all year, but vengeance was brewing inside of my heart, and ten years later, I killed him and buried him under my outside ratcage.
Sometimes, I can still hear them gnawing his bones...:cries:

Inquisitor D'selinas
29-08-2009, 13:30
Ah, '89, I remember that summer vividly. An epic clash between the kindergartenbully and me ended in him getting to use the trycicle all year, but vengeance was brewing inside of my heart, and ten years later, I killed him and buried him under my outside ratcage.
Sometimes, I can still hear them gnawing his bones...:cries:

And the award for funniest if slightly disturbing post of the day goes to you my friend.
Bravo! :D

destroyerlord
31-08-2009, 11:59
I was born
Ditto.

Plus a few words to make it post.

rkunisch
31-08-2009, 16:41
I turned 18 and found a whole new world outside. ;)

Having been into pen & paper rpgs it was easy for a friend to convince me to play Space Hulk. Now I have my own wargaming dungeon. :evilgrin:

Have fun,

Rolf.

Athmos
31-08-2009, 18:04
i was 13. I discovered SH in a french RPG magazine, and it was the first TT game I bought. Took a while to decipher the rules at the time, i was less than fluent in english. then I proceeded to beat my brother soundly in those dark corridors. Good times...

Christine
01-09-2009, 08:22
I was a mere 9 years old but I think this was the year I discovered White Dwarf after dad went into hospital and I was bored and looking for something to read. Everything changed from that point onwards.

precinctomega
01-09-2009, 08:26
Now I have my own wargaming dungeon.

Yeah... I can see you explaining that one to the cops.

"No, really, it's for wargaming and roleplay games!"

"Is that so, sir? And that explains this interesting selection of whips, chains and restraints?"

"They add atmosphere!!"

R.

RFT
01-09-2009, 11:46
I was 12 and mostly playing Dark Future. I didn't get started with Space Hulk until christmas 1990.

rkunisch
01-09-2009, 11:54
Yeah... I can see you explaining that one to the cops.

"No, really, it's for wargaming and roleplay games!"

"Is that so, sir? And that explains this interesting selection of whips, chains and restraints?"

"They add atmosphere!!"

R.
Indeed. As well as the Sword, the Axe and the Morningstar. :D

Have fun,

Rolf.

Starblayde
01-09-2009, 12:08
I was being 7 years old and was about to discover either HeroQuest or Space Crusade, iirc.

azraelezekiel
01-09-2009, 21:45
Just hit 18 and finished college.
Went to work for my bro in London and got fully into the hobby, playing Space Hulk, Heroquest and blood bowl.
My hobby interests sort of spiralled out of control for a few years until I ditched the lot after 'growing up' only to realise that I would never grow up and spent a small countries GDP getting back all the stuff I gave away. :(

Dwarf Supreme
03-09-2009, 16:45
Young whippersnappers...

*waves walking stick*

Tell me about it! I turned 27 in '89.

A friend introduced me to SH. I later bought a copy of my own (and the two supplements). I was also playing Adeptus Titanicus and WHFRPG, as well as my usual fair of Avalon Hill games, Advanced Squad Leader in particular.

Mephiston
03-09-2009, 17:59
Well I spent '89 learning that as an 18 year old straight out of school I didn't have quite what it took to be an RAF Officer. Don't think I played SH until '90 at the earliest and my gaming was virtually none existent in '89.

'90 was when I also first discovered Epic. The rest is History!