PDA

View Full Version : Space Hulk foam trays from Battlefoam

Brimstone
29-08-2009, 06:42
Picked up via Dakka Battlefoam are launching a pair of trays to store the contents of the Space Hulk box and the fit in the original box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpREyxZ0a-4

Looks cool but no price yet which is the deciding factor to see if I buy them.

http://www.battlefoam.com/

Charax
29-08-2009, 06:55
Cool idea (especially the "fits in the game's box" part) but can they actually market it as a "Space Hulk" tray set? GW have *got* to have that trademarked.

AndrewGPaul
29-08-2009, 07:21
Take a look at the rest of their range - I don't think that's something that bothers them. :)

snottlebocket
29-08-2009, 07:43
Great idea but looking at their other foam trays... not a chance I'd buy it. Their tray sets cost half as much as the game itself.

Wickey the Viking
29-08-2009, 08:52
Looks like a nice product. If it's not more then 7-10 Euro's then I'll buy it...

Znail
29-08-2009, 09:38
Cool idea (especially the "fits in the game's box" part) but can they actually market it as a "Space Hulk" tray set? GW have *got* to have that trademarked.

Its perfectly legal to mention trademark items as long as you credit the owner of said trademark and dont claim to be an official product of said trademark. You can for instance sell terrain and say that its suitable for tabletop games like 40k as long as you mention that 40k is a trademark by GW etc.

snottlebocket
29-08-2009, 10:03
Looks like a nice product. If it's not more then 7-10 Euro's then I'll buy it...

I looked at their website, most of their other foam sets are in the 30-50 euro range.

Wintertooth
29-08-2009, 10:14
Its perfectly legal to mention trademark items as long as you credit the owner of said trademark

They don't do that though, do they? For any of the trademarks they're using on that site.

Tonberry
29-08-2009, 10:53

The video advertises it as 'Custom foam for popular corridor space game'.

Catchy I know.

Jedi152
29-08-2009, 11:11
It looks nice and seems to do the job quite well. If it's a sensible price i'll buy.

Wickey the Viking
29-08-2009, 11:21
I looked at their website, most of their other foam sets are in the 30-50 euro range.
WTF? Is that just for the foam, or do you get half the SH game with that?

30-50 Euro's... I guess I'll make some trays myself then.

Znail
29-08-2009, 12:01
They don't do that though, do they? For any of the trademarks they're using on that site.

GW could slap them for that, but all they need to do is add that desclaimer to the bottom banner where they list their own trademarks.

altwaev
29-08-2009, 12:11
This is something I'd be really interested in, but not at that price!!

At a good price, they could sell thousands of these!

Archaon
29-08-2009, 13:24
Looked over their site and man are they expensive.

Their cases seem good but so are those from Sabol and Sabols are quite cheaper.

About the only thing they do better are the custom trays but then you pay through the roof for them.

I may consider a SH tray but not if it approaches the price of the game itself.

Znail
29-08-2009, 13:53
Well, custom trays are obviously not going to be cheap and basic trays like Sabol is pretty expensive too. I wish both was cheaper.

grimcrazy
29-08-2009, 14:23
For that price buy a spare game.

Are the foam trays going to be availible forever?

LordWhiteWolf
29-08-2009, 14:25
For that price buy a spare game.

Are the foam trays going to be availible forever?

no they're strictly limited edition so you better order yours now before they run out!

..im joking btw

snottlebocket
29-08-2009, 15:02
This is something I'd be really interested in, but not at that price!!

At a good price, they could sell thousands of these!

They're horribly expensive but I assume they're not made by automated production which means each set of trays takes a fair amount of time to make. That would make them expensive unfortunately.

Hashshashin
29-08-2009, 16:49
these look interesting, if the they aren't too much I'll get a set, but with BF they are definately on the spendy side and no one i've met has them so I don't really know the quality either, I'd assume its good based on cost.

dwarfhold13
30-08-2009, 03:09
it says $25 US at the end of the video
if you spend the time painting the whole set and want to keep them nice, its definitely an easy solution, rather than carrying around a separate box with just the figures in it

carlisimo
30-08-2009, 05:19
$25 is totally reasonable. I mean, it's still pretty expensive and I doubt there'll be many takers, but for the amount of work it takes and the low volumes it'll sell at, that's not bad at all.

I agree with dwarfhold13. If you have paintjobs you want to protect, it's worth it.

Jedi152
30-08-2009, 07:43
$25 seems reasonable. Anyone know what shipping to the UK is like?

zedeyejoe
30-08-2009, 09:02

Its a simple matter to do and creates no problems for them. So not a biggie.

I have a feeling its a standard product they would have sold anyway, relabelled for Space Hulk. Good for them.

Trogdor
30-08-2009, 20:52
I was going to post a thread on a similar subject to this, sincere apologies if this is off topic but it seems a bit daft to start a new thread.

Fridge logic struck the other day and I realised that as the box is packed chock full, storing the (painted) miniatures might be a bit of a pain in the proverbial. What other options are people considering for storage? The SH miniatures strike me as being a bit too dynamically posed to fit in a standard carry case, so what other options, bought or built, are in the pipeline?

Znail
30-08-2009, 22:16
I doubt there are any other custom SH storages comming up! But it should still be possible to fit the models in standard diced foam, just need to make a bit more space for each model. I think the BF tray price is pretty ok if you want a better sollution. I think the only cheaper alternative then either of those are to buy solid foam and cut out the shapes yourself.

rkunisch
30-08-2009, 22:58
Really nice. :D I like some of their other trays as well.

$25 seems reasonable. Anyone know what shipping to the UK is like?
I tried one other tray and it came up with shipping costs of $27 for one and $29 for two of them (International postage). Add some cutstoms fee to that and you pay more for the trays than for the game. :cries:

Have fun,

Rolf.

Znail
31-08-2009, 07:51
Really nice. :D I like some of their other trays as well.

I tried one other tray and it came up with shipping costs of $27 for one and $29 for two of them (International postage). Add some cutstoms fee to that and you pay more for the trays than for the game. :cries:

Have fun,

Rolf.

Sounds like they are using UPS, not uncommon, but it makes it very expensive compared to normal postage.

Sleby
31-08-2009, 08:05
Well they only give you one option for international shipping and it's $27. I want one but yeah, that's alot for shipping.

Gunboatdiplomat
31-08-2009, 09:07
Yup... 3rd'ed.

$25 for the trays + $27 shipping + Customs and handling fee (probably).

I'd love a set but not for a price approaching that of a copy of the actual game tbh.

They really need to get a UK/EU distributor or subcontract out this way to reduce shipping costs.

Jedi152
31-08-2009, 11:17
Hmmm, so $52 at today's rate is 32.

Wonder if it would be cheaper to get a US Warseer to buy it and send it on?

WildAnimal
01-09-2009, 06:16
Anyone know of an european dealer? I dont like taxes and such from buying in the US

levinas
01-09-2009, 11:01
What about a bulk order for the UK? If shipping goes down per unit (and perhaps price if we ask nicely) we might be able to order once from the US and then send them on? Of course that adds to the chance of customs charges...

Gunboatdiplomat
01-09-2009, 16:10
Royal Fail charge about 8 quid flat rate to "handle" your package, alongside the actual customs charge. I wouldnt be surprised if a tray set came in at 40-45 quid delivered after customers charging.

It would be nice if a UK LGS or online retailer set up a group buy, everyone ordered through them, and they then imported a bundle in one go (tax free, as its a stock item) and distributed them locally.

Jedi152
02-09-2009, 07:58
Well we have several online store owners here on WarSeer. Perhaps it's worth asking them to contact Battlefoam and see if it's feasible?

levinas
02-09-2009, 11:32
If one of the online retailers on here sees this and wants to do it I'd be happy to pre-order/pre-pay.

Jedi152
02-09-2009, 11:41
The other option is that we all club together and get a bulk order, but i suspect you wouldn't save that much.

levinas
02-09-2009, 13:53
As an experiment I just put ten in the cart, shipping for that comes to $45 so if lots of people wanted to do this it might save a bit of money. If anyone is bored/generous/time-rich enough to do this for a UK order I'd be in! Who knows, perhaps for a bulk order shipping might be free...

Bookwrak
02-09-2009, 17:14
I doubt shipping will ever be free. Since the US Postal Service discontinued the option of 'ground shipping' internationally, the only option BF has for sending stuff abroad is one of the express services, which are not cheap.

athamas
02-09-2009, 17:34
hmmm, im in the US right now, and have a shipping address here..

aswell as picking up another copy of space hulk[love the new models that much], it should not be too much for me to pick up a few of these... though i wont be back in the uk till november...

being foam they should pack down fairly well, and wont be that heavy...

masterowen45
02-09-2009, 18:07
well they look great and have been wanting one for days but if shipping is that much!... probably not. They really need to get a uk dealer

RevEv
02-09-2009, 18:23
I've looked at the website - interestingly no mention of space hulk but they do make foam trays for a 'popular corridor space game'.

And at $25 not too bad!

McPherson
02-09-2009, 19:20
I'm going to get one of these for sure.

I've got a bunch of the Battlefoam trays already for my 40k and Flames of War miniatures. They are really nice. Kinda costly to begin with but worth every penny in the long run.

Though it kind of helps that the guy who runs the business lives maybe 2 hours up the road in Phoenix.

Flashing Blade
03-09-2009, 04:29
Postage makes this a bit pricey, however multiple orders don't increase the postage by much at all.
Provided that Import VAT isn't too much it would be worth ganging together with a few others to reduce the individual postage.

I'd be willing to share with anyone from the North East (Newcastle-Durham area)

Currently have 2-3 interested, to avoid paying Import customs duty as well a group would have to be no greater than 6 sets.

PM me if interested.

Sleby
03-09-2009, 04:50
I ordered one against my better judgement :p

I feel like I'm being pulled into a vortex of all things Space Hulk...

Jedi152
03-09-2009, 11:02
10 sets including shipping comes to 180. That's not too bad for 10 people, it's just the import fees.

BlastmasterJ
03-09-2009, 15:56
So $25 is 15 atm, thats pretty good.
If one of the shop owners got some in id definatly have one. I plan on painting mine up, so something like this is great.
Maybe we could contact them and ask them to mark it as a gift worth $30 ;)
Because im sure you all know, anything under $30 and marked as a gift incurrs zero customs costs. If you didn't know that, always ask your ebayers to do this for you ;)

rkunisch
03-09-2009, 16:02
This works unless your friendly customs officer knows that wily trick as well (which usually is the case).

Have fun,

Rolf.

Jedi152
03-09-2009, 16:04
It's a nice idea, but somehow I doubt the company would lay it's reputation and business on the line to save us a few quid.

Archaon
08-09-2009, 20:23
WTF?

25$ product cost and 27$ international shipping???

For a few pieces of foam that weighs next to nothing? What the hell? There goes my order.. i'll make my own custom trays for the box. Thank you.

LostTemplar
08-09-2009, 21:38
25 bucks is nice, but the shipping's insane. But i'll still try and get me one of them. ;)

Jedi152
08-09-2009, 22:04
The high shipping is probably due to the price and the fact that they need to be protected from being squashed in the post.

Vaaish
09-09-2009, 00:24
I got mine today, came in a standard brown box with no extra padding inside. After getting it I had to pull up the youtube ad and pause it on the screen showing the models in the foam to figure out what went where. Even with that it still took a good 30 minutes to get them in because several have to go in at an angle to fit properly. This especially applies to the marine models. Some like the lightning claw model and several of the stealers had to be put in very carefully so the delicate claws and spiky bits on the top didn't get stuck in the foam. Other things like the chalice fit in very tightly and if you push them down too much will be a pain to get out if you don't partially fill the hole.

Once that was done I spent another good hour fiddling with the lower tray to get things to fit. Contrary to the ad, THERE IS NOT plenty of space in the tray. Eventually I connected most of the the hallway and hallway end sections in different ways and put them on the smaller side of the tray and the rest on the right. Even assembling as much as I could to make larger flat pieces that fit in spaces as closely as possible things still barely fit and there is no room for the door stands, mission status display, or rulebooks which have to just sit on top of the model tray.

While it IS nice to have a good foam tray to fit the models in, that really is the only useful part of the foam. The rest I think would be better used if the bottom and middle divider were chopped out or the lower tray left out entirely allowing you to use the full space of the box to store the cardboard sections. I may try again tonight to fit the door stands into the foam but I don't have a lot of optimism about it nor should it be necessary to play a minigame every time you try to put the game up to fit it into the box. I realize I'm being a little hard on it, but the point was it fits in the original box and protects the game contents.

StefDa
09-09-2009, 07:15
International shipping is $27 and the product itself is $25! That's insane. That may be a little over the top for me. That's just insane.

destroyerlord
09-09-2009, 08:38
I noticed in the youtube video that it really didn't look like the bottom tray had enough space. They already had things overflowing out of theirs, and the doors had no stands. Didnt notice the status display and rulebooks weren't there either though.
Good news is the figure tray is available on its own, for $15US. A significant saving and you don't get the annoying tray that doesn't help anything. (Card sections don't need a foam tray anyway, the box is fine for that).

Narius Phinshredder
09-09-2009, 08:57
I got mine today, came in a standard brown box with no extra padding inside. After getting it I had to pull up the youtube ad and pause it on the screen showing the models in the foam to figure out what went where. Even with that it still took a good 30 minutes to get them in because several have to go in at an angle to fit properly. This especially applies to the marine models. Some like the lightning claw model and several of the stealers had to be put in very carefully so the delicate claws and spiky bits on the top didn't get stuck in the foam. Other things like the chalice fit in very tightly and if you push them down too much will be a pain to get out if you don't partially fill the hole.

Once that was done I spent another good hour fiddling with the lower tray to get things to fit. Contrary to the ad, THERE IS NOT plenty of space in the tray. Eventually I connected most of the the hallway and hallway end sections in different ways and put them on the smaller side of the tray and the rest on the right. Even assembling as much as I could to make larger flat pieces that fit in spaces as closely as possible things still barely fit and there is no room for the door stands, mission status display, or rulebooks which have to just sit on top of the model tray.

While it IS nice to have a good foam tray to fit the models in, that really is the only useful part of the foam. The rest I think would be better used if the bottom and middle divider were chopped out or the lower tray left out entirely allowing you to use the full space of the box to store the cardboard sections. I may try again tonight to fit the door stands into the foam but I don't have a lot of optimism about it nor should it be necessary to play a minigame every time you try to put the game up to fit it into the box. I realize I'm being a little hard on it, but the point was it fits in the original box and protects the game contents.

I think you can buy just the figure tray for $15! The tiles would still be ok with bands around them and the markers in the bags. It's just the figures that need the foam! Still, it's the shipping!

Bookwrak
09-09-2009, 13:32
International shipping is $27 and the product itself is $25! That's insane. That may be a little over the top for me. That's just insane.

Welcome to the USPS' international shipping rates.

Vaaish
09-09-2009, 13:35
I think you can buy just the figure tray for $15! The tiles would still be ok with bands around them and the markers in the bags. It's just the figures that need the foam! Still, it's the shipping!

It does seem to be available on it's own now. When I ordered they only offered the set with both trays in it. I think tonight I'm going to see how the lower tray fares when I take out the center section.

StefDa
15-09-2009, 10:00
I'm right now considering ordering the troop tray. Is it worth paying the international shipping (Denmark) for it in your opinion, to those who's tried it?

GrogsnotPowwabomba
15-09-2009, 14:44
The troop tray is nice. Mine came with a picture guide to show which figure went where, and it took all of 5 minutes to put my models in it.

The bottom tray is rubbish though for the reasons stated above. Its too small and just simply doesn't fit everything as it said it would.

I would just get the troop tray to be honest with you...

Covering Fire
22-09-2009, 17:44
The rest I think would be better used if the bottom and middle divider were chopped out

I did this, and it worked out pretty well. With the middle divider removed and the bottom of the bottom tray removed I managed to fit everything into the box nicely. The tray for the miniatures was good overall, but in some places I had to trim away some foam to get the pieces in.

And yes, the shipping cost was quite over the top:rolleyes:

GrogsnotPowwabomba
22-09-2009, 17:54
I did this, and it worked out pretty well. With the middle divider removed and the bottom of the bottom tray removed I managed to fit everything into the box nicely. The tray for the miniatures was good overall, but in some places I had to trim away some foam to get the pieces in.

So you got rid of the middle piece, and then the back too? So what is the point of having the tray at all if you removed the back and the divider? Just to know what height you can stack the pieces before they are too high for the top tray?

Covering Fire
22-09-2009, 18:14
So you got rid of the middle piece, and then the back too? So what is the point of having the tray at all if you removed the back and the divider? Just to know what height you can stack the pieces before they are too high for the top tray?

Well, I assumed it would fit better with the contents, but since it didn't I had to take measures!;) The rim of the bottom tray still protects the card pieces from bumping into the sides of the box. And by removing the bottom I got more room - I can now stack items about 4,5 centimetres in height before it gets too high for the top tray to fit in the box.

Vaaish
23-09-2009, 13:01
I ended up leaving the center strip on the tray and cutting out the bottom. That gave me enough space to get everything in there. I ended up doing it that way so that the upper troop tray has something to rest on without laying on top of the floor segments.

Patriarch
13-12-2009, 17:55
Sorry for the threadomancy, but UK and European shoppers can now get Battlefoam's "Popular Corridor Space Game" tray from Wayland without having to pay shipment from the US. Already ordered mine...

Link is here (http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/Battlefoam/Battlefoam-Custom/POPULAR-CORRIDOR-SPACE-GAME-TROOP-TRAY/prod_7718.html)

Jedi152
25-03-2010, 13:00
Just about to order mine from Wayland.

There's a reason for my threadromancy;

How stiff is the foam? Could i just get the troop tray and put it in the bottom of the box with everything on top? Would the weight of the board squash the foam (and mini's)?

Patriarch
29-03-2010, 23:34
You'd be OK, it's fairly stiff. Only issue is, one of the stealers doesn't quite fit (the tip of its claw pokes out slightly). So I wouldn't throw loads of weight on there, but if you place stuff on top reasonably carefully you'd be fine.

I'm really happy with the one I got. I put all the marines on 30mm square bases and they still fit snugly without modification.

Grimmeth
30-04-2010, 11:17
Not available any more from Wayland? I knew I shoulnd't have waited before buying one :(

Jedi152
30-04-2010, 11:29
Hmm ... maybe they moved it?

It's worth sending them an email. I was going to buy one too. :(

Chaplain Desmodus
02-05-2010, 19:13
I bought a set and I'm not happy with it. It's hard to fit the minis in and eventually I'll end up breaking them (bad) or rubbing paint off (worse). The stealers' claws snag and as mentioned one stealer doesn't fit at all, he is squashed.

If you're not really worried about actually protecting the minis, I guess it's ok.

Grimmeth
06-05-2010, 07:13
I suppose the big problem is how else do I transport/protect them? I really don't fancy cutting out my own foam inserts (it will all end very badly...)

TMATK
06-05-2010, 17:43
I'm very happy with my battlefoam set. The pieces fit in snugly so you have to be a bit careful. I've moved the minis in and out of the foam about a 100 times with no damage at all.