PDA

View Full Version : there's trouble brewing for someone!

dwarfhold13
30-08-2009, 03:16
yes it pertains to space hulk!
a couple people that i know have already gotten their copies of space hulk, and i know how strict GW is on release dates, so it sounds to me like someone got something wrong and shipped stuff out early..
maybe i'm wrong, but the two people that got them ordered online straight from GW and not through a store. i even called my bud who owns the shop here and he told me HE doesn't even have the advance order copies in the shop yet.
he seems to think that whoever is subbed out for the shipping of these things may be sued..
just curious on your thoughts?

Mannimarco
30-08-2009, 03:20
this is new to me, its not the persons fault the company shipped early

somthing like this would never stand in court so nobody will be sued

athamas
30-08-2009, 03:49
is this in the uk or else where?

szlachcic
30-08-2009, 03:59
Over on boardgamegeek there is a thread about people getting their copies early. All the ones I saw lived in the US, and when I asked about when they ordered two replied that they ordered on the 17th around 7:30AM (eastern). I ordered mine on the 17th as well, but about 4 hours later and mine still says it is being processed. I am quite surprised they were able to receive theirs before the weekend, but I would expect most people would be getting theirs around the middle of this coming week.

LordWhiteWolf
30-08-2009, 04:27
I'm in Australia and my order says that it has been dispatched as of friday

dwarfhold13
30-08-2009, 06:13
well then.. perhaps the sept. 5th is for in stores only?
i would've thought it was more trouble than not, but it seems as if i am wrong

snottlebocket
30-08-2009, 06:33
Stores receive their stuff before the releasedate so that they can sell on the releasedate. It's pretty common for independant stores to sell their stuff before the actual release date in an attempt to grab more customers.

LordWhiteWolf
30-08-2009, 06:40
With things like video games though stores can get into big trouble for releasing stuff before the official release date

snottlebocket
30-08-2009, 07:02
With things like video games though stores can get into big trouble for releasing stuff before the official release date

True, it just never stops them from trying. Small stores just need the edge and when kids know which stores sell games early and which stores don't, it can mean the difference between selling out your entire stock on a good release and not selling any.

My younger brother works in a videogame store and they actually have a protocol in place for when the Nintendo inspector visits. The guy usually calls ahead of a visit to let them know he's coming and the kids working in the store hide all the imported nintendo stuff. (nintendo really doesn't like stores to import games unreleased in the west)

A while back the guy failed to phone in first and caught them with shelves full of import. Now they're sanctioned and they get nintendo releases a month later than everyone else. Which is a huge deal really considering top releases usually get the majority of their sales in the first week or so.

I imagine it's a little less competetive for games workshop retailers considering they won't have much competition in most towns.

LordWhiteWolf
30-08-2009, 07:37
yeah i imagine its not really a big deal especially seaming at most independent retailers stocking the game have already sold out of all their stock

Znail
30-08-2009, 09:14
I guess the OP is new to this hobby or any online release. Online preorders usualy arrives early! The reason is simple. While Shops wont sell before the release date so is it the other way around with shipping as they are supposed to arrive at the release date so they have to calculate with some margins to make sure its there in time. How pissed off dont you think customers would be if they made a preorder direct from the company and got their game after some random dude can buy his copy in the store? Thus any preorders ordered online either from GW or any computer game for that matter will ship in time to be sure to get there in time before the release date. Monday was the day I expected most people to get their packages.

dwarfhold13
30-08-2009, 15:39
I guess the OP is new to this hobby or any online release. Online preorders usualy arrives early! The reason is simple. While Shops wont sell before the release date so is it the other way around with shipping as they are supposed to arrive at the release date so they have to calculate with some margins to make sure its there in time. How pissed off dont you think customers would be if they made a preorder direct from the company and got their game after some random dude can buy his copy in the store? Thus any preorders ordered online either from GW or any computer game for that matter will ship in time to be sure to get there in time before the release date. Monday was the day I expected most people to get their packages.

true.. i use to work for a shop and i know how strict they are on releasing things in the store.. i just don't do much direct ordering.. my bad.. i ordered mine through the store i'm talking about and i just don't have it yet :( a little bitter

Danteng7
30-08-2009, 16:16
I got my Space Hulk on the 28th Aug. Seems weird i got it faster than you guys in the UK or US. :P

Lord Malorne
30-08-2009, 16:31
My LGS already had its SH last week.

Danteng7
30-08-2009, 16:44
So orders from LGS ship faster than orders from GW direct? If so, whats the incentives of getting from GW?

Lord Malorne
30-08-2009, 17:03
Because LGS speed is random, they have one advance copy now but the other 30 odd arrive this week.

Melchor
30-08-2009, 17:08
I think he means the store received it's copy last week. I believe GW stores also received theirs last week so it's not that exceptional.

BaronVonSnakPak
30-08-2009, 17:24
i was actually wondering if they would ship them a couple days before the 5th or wait until then.

Znail
30-08-2009, 17:32
I got my Space Hulk on the 28th Aug. Seems weird i got it faster than you guys in the UK or US. :P

Not strange at all. GW probobly knows pretty well how long it will take a package to arrive within UK, but for other countries so do they have to make some rough estimates.

szlachcic
30-08-2009, 20:22

If you had read my post you would see that a handful of posters from the US over on BoardGameGeek have received their copies on the 28th as well. As others have said, it is probably because GW was trying to estimate shipping times overseas, so the earliest orders went out as soon as they received them.

Zujara
31-08-2009, 05:40
I got mine on the 28th as well, I live in Canada and had ordered from GW directly. Was quite surprised when it turned up, but this sure has been one fun weekend with my friends!

Sleby
31-08-2009, 06:34
I got mine on the 28th as well, I live in Canada and had ordered from GW directly. Was quite surprised when it turned up, but this sure has been one fun weekend with my friends!

I hate you. I live in New Zealand and mine was dispatched last Friday like most people but mine isn't here :(

Cypher
31-08-2009, 07:02
This is nothing new or particularly remarkable - for as long as I can remember GW Mail Order have shipped preorders well in advance of the "official" release dates.

As said, its partly to ensure preorderers dont get their stuff late (and if your postal service is anything like mine, you need the week's grace) and partly because it doesnt really make a whole lot of difference.

Fist of Crimson
31-08-2009, 13:23
My copy arrived this morning. Live in the US and ordered direct from GW website on the 17th or 18th.

Hopefully all the pre-orders start arriving for everyone else too.

commandergabriel
31-08-2009, 13:37
More than likely, GW ships a sampling of 'pre-order' products early to those people who buy direct... so more people will choose buy direct in the hopes that they too will receive theirs early. It makes perfect sense to me.

Satan
31-08-2009, 13:51
More than likely, GW ships a sampling of 'pre-order' products early to those people who buy direct... so more people will choose buy direct in the hopes that they too will receive theirs early. It makes perfect sense to me.

But probably not to the retailers of the world who would no doubt scream in rage at such an atrocity.

szlachcic
31-08-2009, 15:13
Received mine first thing this morning as well, can't wait to open it later!

arken42
31-08-2009, 15:29
FedEx just dropped off my Pre-order Space Hulk as well! Box is HEAVY! Ok, gonna bust open and check it out now! :D

Demkaio
31-08-2009, 20:42
Here I am sitting at work waiting so eagerly. Im hoping there will be a package waiting for me at home. I just cant wait to recieve mine :)

Haunted_Undead
31-08-2009, 22:53
I`ve heard of a few people getting there`s early. Im hoping that some of that luck will rub off on the UK and we get our sets early. May well have been today if it was`nt for the bank holiday. Fingers crossed for tomorrow

GrimDog
01-09-2009, 00:26
Got mine today. It's beautiful.

Gorthaur
01-09-2009, 01:18
dangit, didnt get mine now im kind of mad at GW cause everyone else in the US is seeming to get theirs today.

Muzzlehead
01-09-2009, 01:25
I'm a cool kid.. got mine today

Sleby
01-09-2009, 01:36
Has anyone outside of the US received it yet?

Bookwrak
01-09-2009, 01:45
dangit, didnt get mine now im kind of mad at GW cause everyone else in the US is seeming to get theirs today.

I got mine today too! I'm almost finished assembling all the figures. If only I wasn't out of primer...

Anyways, GW regularly ships pre-orders to those who did so in the two weeks leading up to the actual release date.

Cypher
01-09-2009, 01:47
Yep - got mine right here.

Nah - I've had stuff from indies ship before the release date too.

Worth remembering that this stuff takes up a lot of space - nobody is going to keep stock already sold sitting around any longer than they have to.

BaronVonSnakPak
01-09-2009, 02:52
just checked my GW order and itll be here on thursday, the 3rd.

hell yeah!

Gorthaur
01-09-2009, 03:26
I got mine today too! I'm almost finished assembling all the figures. If only I wasn't out of primer...

Anyways, GW regularly ships pre-orders to those who did so in the two weeks leading up to the actual release date.

I looked under the my gamesworkshop area on the site and it says it was dispatched, and I checked fedex with my tracking number, apparently it is initiated, but hasnt been picked up or shipped yet and it says anticipated ship date aug 27th....grrrr

HsojVvad
01-09-2009, 04:09
I didn't order mine since I don't got the $$$ for it so hoping I can still get it in about 6 weeks or so. But my wife broght up a good thing. It has to clear customs as well if coming from anthour country. It can be delayed up to a week or so till the tarrif or taxes or what ever you want to call it, that the Canadian goverment gets it's due before being released.

So GW probably releases it a bit earlier for snail mail, and border customs and what not. I read alot people who order through GW get theirs about a week early sometimes.

starlight
01-09-2009, 04:19
There are always stories of people getting advance copies early, nothing new here...and no one controls the Post Office... :p

Gorthaur
01-09-2009, 05:00
There are always stories of people getting advance copies early, nothing new here...and no one controls the Post Office... :p

yeah but I paid for express shipping I should have got it before the people who didnt pay for express shipping, stupid of GW

starlight
01-09-2009, 05:14
Nothing to do with GW (in all likelihood), because it may have been shipped directly from the outfit that did the assembly, so it's them and the Post Office, neither of whom care... :p ...and truth be told, neither does GW. :p