PDA

View Full Version : Could Space Hulk's release herald the release of other classics?

Lothar Hex
01-09-2009, 06:05
Now that GW has released a 3rd Ed. of Space Hulk is there any chance they will revamp other old games like Warhammer Quest?

I know this is going off topic but a revamped Warhammer Quest would be amazing given the standard displayed with the new Space Hulk.

WildAnimal
01-09-2009, 07:15
No Warhammer Quest please. Man'o'War maybe?

I think they maybe will try other "lone box" games in the future.

Lone box means full games that dont need ALOT of expansions and buying extra minatures to have the full game. Space Hulk is an good example of a complete game.

Mojaco
01-09-2009, 09:54
Man'o'war was the little boats game right?

Starblayde
01-09-2009, 09:57
Man'o'war was the little boats game right?
Yup, it certainly was.

Sleby
01-09-2009, 10:24
Was it any good?

Danteng7
01-09-2009, 11:05
Not really a classic but Gorka Morka is next to be release next year. Same kinda treatment as Space Hulk. One off limited edition release.

Sleby
01-09-2009, 11:08
Not really a classic but Gorka Morka is next to be release next year. Same kinda treatment as Space Hulk. One off limited edition release.

How do you know that?

Starblayde
01-09-2009, 11:11
Was it any good?
If you like the thought of naval combat between the various races of WFB then yeah, it was good fun. Although some were a little silly (Chaos Dwarf ships with rockets that were the size of other ships themselves) there was a definite flavour to each of the races' fleets that matched the WFB units.

The game came with two fleets of Empire style galleys (both with sail and oars) so you could play one as Empire and the other as Pirates of some description. Decent game, but was sort of Epic-Scale-WFB-at-Sea, which filled too many little niches to be mass-marketable.

Good enough that if someone now asked me 'fancy a game of Man'O'War?' I'd say "Sure thing" (in the same manner as new Space Hulk), while if someone asked me for a game of Gorkamorka or even Necromunda, I'd probably try and weasel out of it.

selone
01-09-2009, 11:25
I think so (it was enjoyable)

Znail
01-09-2009, 12:00
Now that GW has released a 3rd Ed. of Space Hulk is there any chance they will revamp other old games like Warhammer Quest?

I know this is going off topic but a revamped Warhammer Quest would be amazing given the standard displayed with the new Space Hulk.

GW has sold the rights for Warhammer Quest to FFG, along with all the other games that doesnt involve alot of minis. SH would have been included as well, but was made an exception, most likely because they already had plans to rerelease it at that time.

But GW had said that they might do more releases like this if it turns out well and it seems like it did from what we have heared. I dont think Gorkamorka was a real hit when it was new even, so I think that one is less then likely to come back next. Most of the other games are still somewhat supported by minis atleast. Most just doesnt have a starter box anymore. Bloodbowl is the only one I know that still has one, but its probobly the most popular of the SG line, so I would think a updated version could come. Necromunda is pretty likely to get a new box too. Maybe Battlefleet Gothic as that also still has its line of minis sold.

snottlebocket
01-09-2009, 16:51
GW has sold the rights for Warhammer Quest to FFG, along with all the other games that doesnt involve alot of minis.

The bright side is that means it's much more likely quest will see a re-release. FFG hasn't exactly been slacking about in bringing their newly aquired licences into production.

commandergabriel
01-09-2009, 17:56
This thread seems a bit more appropriate for the GW Other Discussion than the SH Forum.

...BUT; If I had my way then Man O' War would be the next classic to be redone. GW could easily release a box with a ton little plastic boats, scenery, counters and extras all in one shot. The problem is there are other games similar (i.e. Uncharted Seas, even BFG is like boats in space). SH is great because there really isn't a sci-fi dungeon crawl game in a space ship...

Lothar Hex
01-09-2009, 22:04
I still play advanced heroquest. It would be great if they would do a new dungeon questing game.

pookie
02-09-2009, 12:16

Simple Answer, Yes!

depending on the intrest from SH that is, as a certain Red Daemon on here told us when we discussed what the 'mystery box' was several weeks ago.

Gunboatdiplomat
02-09-2009, 15:48
I don't expect Man'o'war to be re-released, the game was dependent on additional purchases and model support and Spacehulks "everything in one box" nature a major factor in its re-release.

Warhammer Quest was also dependent on several significant post - core box addons (character packs, dungeon packs, treasure decks etc), but is far better suited to being recut into a feasible "one off" box set.

The incredible work done on the plastics for BFSP and AoBR demonstrate that GW could cut and paste a load of thier existing digitally designed fantasy mini's onto a couple of new sprues (to give more miniature variety and numbers than the original), chuck in a few new character models and package the whole shooting match in the "extra deep" box 3rd ed Hulk comes in (which is a good 1.5" deeper than the original Hulk or WHQ boxes). Do away with the treasuire cards to save space and cost, and release a product that mixes the best bits of WHQ with the single box playability of Heroquest.

Lord Tenebrae
03-09-2009, 05:14
Chainsaw Warrior anyone?
Either aa a full card game now or a real boardgame with minis!!!!!

squilverine
03-09-2009, 10:38
If they were going to release another "one shot" game, my money would be on a Warhammer Quest type game.

I, sadly, can't see them doing Man'o'war because of the issue of which races to include. With the 40k universe they know that marines are there most popular army by far, and that stealers are a great generic space alien. With fanatasy there is no clear "favorite" army, so whatever races you included in a man 'o' war box, you would put off the other 80% of gamers who may have bought it if their race was included.

zedmeister
03-09-2009, 17:05
They could do a Man O'War Forces of Order V Forces of Chaos type affair with the forces in the box consisting of:

Order:
Dwarf Nautilus
Imperial Wargalleys
Bretonnian Galleons
High Elf Dragonships

Chaos:
Black Ark
Chaos Deathgalleys
Skaven Screaming Bell
Ork drillakillas

snottlebocket
03-09-2009, 17:36
They could do a Man O'War Forces of Order V Forces of Chaos type affair with the forces in the box consisting of:

Order:
Dwarf Nautilus
Imperial Wargalleys
Bretonnian Galleons
High Elf Dragonships

Chaos:
Black Ark
Chaos Deathgalleys
Skaven Screaming Bell
Ork drillakillas

For the amount of plastic contained in these sets like space hulk or black reach you could make a decent sized fleet of ships for most of the big warhammer races in the pseudo epic scale man-o-war used.

It shouldn't be too much trouble to pack a modest sized fleet for the most important order and destruction races into one box and then tell people to create allied fleets for larger games.

I assume man-o-war was in the stack of licences that was sold of to fantasy flight games though.

BlastmasterJ
03-09-2009, 17:50
It would be cool if they brought back GM if only just for the epic models that would come with it and scenery :-)

Bregalad
03-09-2009, 18:03
Only Space Hulk and Heroquest/Warhammer Quest were hits during their time, and the latter is now licenced to FFG. Besides Blood Bowl that is!

Man o'War was not so well received and currently has a nice non-GW alternative:
Uncharted Seas by Spartan Games: http://www.battlefield-berlin.de/shop/index.php?list=WG1463

Same with Gorkamorka, but at least that game is all-in-one mostly and has some potential for an update (Ork Wartrak!) and some backing by popular Orks.