PDA

View Full Version : What type of WoC army works with a Sorceror Lord on dragon?

Red_Lep
02-09-2009, 03:29
Its in the title, what kind of WoC army would work well with a Sorceror Lord on dragon? I'd guess all mounted but I'm not sure since the dragon won't be in combat. What additional SLANNESH characters should I have?(Its a Slaanesh army)

I ask because I'm almost finished with my HE and decided not to work on my WE project.

Note: I know a Sorceror Lord on dragon kind of defeats itself since the dragon should be in combat but the sorceror should be casting spells. I just like the idea and have a conversion in mind.

Nurgling Chieftain
02-09-2009, 05:18
Lore of Slaanesh only has a single spell which cannot be cast if you're in HtH, and being on a large target dragon will let the Sorceror see over most combats he's in, so it's not so bad, really.

Red_Lep
02-09-2009, 05:42
I didn't realise that!

Since I'm still fairly new to the magic phase, I'm not seeing where it says whether you can or cannot be in HtH. You mind showing me?

Also, would you reccomend a Lv2 to go along with my Lord? Its over 900pnts but I think I'd need the extra spells to soak up DD.

Red_Lep
02-09-2009, 06:39
Edit: Old List

Nurgling Chieftain
02-09-2009, 06:41
By default, there is no prohibition against casting spells if the caster is in HtH. The foremost caveat to that is that all Magic Missiles are prohibited from being cast if the caster is in HtH (BRB, 110).

By default, you cannot cast spells at units that are in HtH (BRB pg 107). This can severely limit the targeting of a caster in HtH, particularly with regards to spells that require LOS! (Spells do not by default require LOS, but many, including all Magic Missiles, do anyway.)

So, going through the Lore of Slaanesh...

1) Magic Missile. As such, it requires LOS and cannot be cast into or out of HtH.
2) Can be cast while in HtH, but does not affect units in HtH. No LOS required. This is pretty good for a dragon caster, as you can plow into the opponent's main battle line and disrupt it horribly, even though it won't affect the unit you charged.
3) Very flexible, in that it doesn't require LOS, can be cast out of and into HtH, even on friendlies, and has a 24" range. I wouldn't cast it on the unit you're fighting, but it's at least as useful on a dragon mounted wizard as anywhere else.
4) Can't be cast into HtH, but can be cast out of HtH, and does not require LOS. Another great spell to throw on other units while in HtH.
5) No LOS requirement, can be cast into and/or out of HtH, 18" range to a friendly unit, and is even occasionally useful cast on yourself. You'll always have at least one legitimate target!
6) No LOS requirement, cannot be cast into combat but can be cast out of it, 24" range.

Heh. I hadn't realized when I started that only the magic missile requires LOS, and that the minimum range is 18". This lore is fantastic for a dragon mounted sorceror as long as you don't drift too far from the main action.

For a supporting lore I would look for something that always affects models immune to psychology, as many Slaanesh spells do not. I think Nurgle is your best choice, as death and Tzeentch both have spells that don't work well (or at all) against things like undead. Fire is a serious consideration, and taking an unmarked sorceror lets you pick fire or death based on who you're fighting, and death is really good at times.

EDIT: All Slaanesh is dangerous - against some enemies you'll find yourself practically helpless in the magic phase. More importantly, you cannot buy Tendrils of Tzeentch on anything but a Daemon Prince, as Sorceror Lords can only take 50 points of gifts. Oh, and for heaven's sake find points for a puppet.

Angelust
02-09-2009, 09:10
I can understand your desire for an all Slaanesh army, but I'd suggest taking

Lvl 4 sorc lord on dragon (slaanesh)
lvl 2 fire/death wizard
lvl 2 fire/death wizard

Unless you're willing to mix in some nurgle or Tzeentch.

The reason is because Slaanesh magic doesn't really seem to stack very well. This is particularly the case when you start facing Immune to Psychology armies like Undead, Daemons, Wood Elves, Chaos with Mark of Slaanesh, etc.

If it were me, I'd take something like...

Sorc Lord - lvl 4, Mark of Slaan, Diabolic Splendor, Rod of Torment, Golden Eye, Enchanted Shield, Spell Familiar

Sorceror - Lvl 2, Lore of Fire, Book of Secrets, Power Familiar, Barded Steed
Sorceror - Lvl 2, Lore of Fire, Puppet, Blood Curdling Roar, Barded Steed

12 PD, 2 bound spells (with banner of wrath)

I would also drop some command options on your knights, like Champions, Musicians, and maybe the banner on the first unit, and also a unit of marauder horsemen.

Then try and squeeze in another unit of knights w/ just mark of slaanesh.

Mullitron
02-09-2009, 09:24
How would this look?

Characters- 1167
**Yes, I know, that over half my points in characters....I can't really defend that.

Sorceror Lord- 785
~Crown of Everlasting Conquest
~Tendrils of Tzeentch
~Book of Secrets
~Spell Familier
~Slaanesh
~Dragon
~Level 4
**I know Tendrils isn't Slaanesh but I think it could help save him from a miscast and avoid the downside of the Book of Secrets.

Your lord cant take tendrils, its 60 points and your lord is limited to 50. Your lord unlike most casters has the option to take magic armor and shields i would take advantage of the fact if your going to be sending it into combat lots.

Red_Lep
02-09-2009, 13:26
Your lord cant take tendrils, its 60 points and your lord is limited to 50. Your lord unlike most casters has the option to take magic armor and shields i would take advantage of the fact if your going to be sending it into combat lots.

For some reason I didn't remember that points cap, my bad.

What armor/Weapon would you recomend?

Maybe this?

Sorceror Lord- 775
~Diabolic Splendour
~Enchanted Shield
~Chaos Runsword
~Book of Secrets
~Spell Familier
~Slaanesh
~Dragon
~Level 4

Deroga
02-09-2009, 16:57

Maybe this?

Sorceror Lord- 775
~Diabolic Splendour
~Enchanted Shield
~Chaos Runsword
~Book of Secrets
~Spell Familier
~Slaanesh
~Dragon
~Level 4

overall i like it. another suggestion would be sword of might, enchanted shield, spell familiar, and crown of everlasting conquest.

Angelust
02-09-2009, 18:16
I like Deroga's suggestion better. It allows you greater survivability, which is something characters mounted on dragons can sometimes severely lack.

Eta
02-09-2009, 20:39

Maybe this?

Sorceror Lord- 775
~Diabolic Splendour
~Enchanted Shield
~Chaos Runsword
~Book of Secrets
~Spell Familier
~Slaanesh
~Dragon
~Level 4

This is illegal as you have chosen items for 105 points. Drop the runesword and add the sword of might and a dispel scroll.

Greetings
Eta

Red_Lep
02-09-2009, 20:41
This is illegal as you have chosen items for 105 points. Drop the runesword and add the sword of might and a dispel scroll.

Greetings
Eta

Sorry, used to the HE having the E. Shield for 10pnts.

Red_Lep
03-09-2009, 14:04
How's this look?

Characters- 1142

Sorceror Lord- 770
~Diabolic Splendour
~Enchanted Shield
~Sword of Might
~Spell Familiar
~Slaanesh
~Dragon
~Level 4

Sorceror- 186
~Power Familiar
~Dispel Scroll
~Chaos Steed
~Level 2

Sorceror- 186
~Book of Secrets
~Dispel Scroll
~Chaos Steed
~Level 2
.................................................. .................................................. ......................
Core- 504

4x Marauder Horsemen(5)- 96
~Slaanesh
~Musician
~Flails

4x Warhounds(5)- 30
.................................................. .................................................. ......................
Special- 565

Knights(5)- 305
~Banner of Wrath
~Full Command
~Slaanesh

Knights(5)- 260
~Full Command
~Slaanesh
Total- 2211

Harwammer
04-09-2009, 08:13
have you considered giving the book of secrets sorceror a steed of slaanesh? with book of secrets he might become a bit of a magic missile battery, so 360 LoS for 'shooting' will help him.

untimention
04-09-2009, 08:34
i recently used a chaos lord on dragon..... he died very quickly.

If you use him you're going to have to spend a large number of points as the dragon has very weak armour.

Your lord has chaos armour (standard) = 4+
Shield = 3+
Nothing for mounted as its a dragon.... so you need to invest in a good ward save or he is going to get shot by everything high powered and lots of multiple shots.

Against a non-shooty army... well you're in heaven

I played against DE

Urdokadin
04-09-2009, 08:58
personally i'm more inclined to the nurgle lord or a heaven's caster; reason being is that there are spells in those lores that support not just your army but also the dragon as well.
Dragon lists are hit or miss type deals, if the centerpiece dies, you're out almost half your army...500 (600 for killing the general) and then an additonal 600 or so for the dragon.... risky. Slaanesh has nice spells, but do they complement what you need your dragon to do?

Nurgle would be good for a few things...for one if you get that regen spell on the rider/dragon you can breathe a bit. the 6,4, and 2 spells can be cast in combat to very harsh effects, particularly the 6 spell since you're flitting about you can effectively hit his entire army with Rot.
You can smack into things even harder with the curse of the leper...-1 strength and toughness to a unit you're about to manhandle? yes plz.

Harwammer
04-09-2009, 19:50
Dragon lists are hit or miss type deals, if the centerpiece dies, you're out almost half your army...500 (600 for killing the general) and then an additonal 600 or so for the dragon.... risky. Slaanesh has nice spells, but do they complement what you need your dragon to do?

Use a regular sorceror or exalted as the general. Sorceror lord, sorcerors and exalteds are all Ld 8, so its best to have the general babysitting the marauders/hounds/trolls than galavanting round on some devil dinosaur.

Red_Lep
04-09-2009, 20:47
Thanks for all the replies!

I'm looking into swapping it from a Slaanesh list to a Nurgle list. What is everyones opinions on Nurgle Magic, Warrios, and Knights?

Urdokadin
04-09-2009, 21:54
Use a regular sorceror or exalted as the general. Sorceror lord, sorcerors and exalteds are all Ld 8, so its best to have the general babysitting the marauders/hounds/trolls than galavanting round on some devil dinosaur.

True enough but point still stands, it's risky ;p

Nurgle can be mean. It's not as insta gib as tzeentch, but it's much more reliable. In particular I think of the lores in the warriors book, the more of nurgle you field, it gets MUCH better as per say having 3x tzeentch mages.

The default for nurgle is a MUST dispell if you're offing chars with it, compared to the random dmg on flickering fire and the very low potential to inflict a single wound with the lash and get the special effect.....

Magical dominance isn't just about the number of spells in your arsenal, it's about having game breakers. Part of the reason why magic is so powerful in the meta is because it's one of the only ways to apply pressure exactly when and where you want it. Very little random chance goes into the actual application of a given magic phase. Sure you have dice-offs from but from the very inception of the list it should be very clear-cut that the spells you're pulling off need to have a purpose.

The most deadly thing about buboes is that it can cull dispell dice very rapidly from a proportionally small pool comparative to the ability to generate casting die. Should you manage in popping a caster or two that pool rapidly shrinks even further, swinging the battle your direction very quickly because the phase begins and ends with characters.

Nurgling Chieftain
04-09-2009, 22:08
While I'm very fond of some of the Nurgle spells and less fond of others, I really have to say that in comparison to Slaanesh spells, the Lore of Nurgle is much less limited in who it can effect.

Red_Lep
04-09-2009, 22:32
I'm wanting a themed mono-god army, this is what I've come up with so far.

Characters- 1115

Sorceror Lord- 750
~Enchanted Shield
~Sword of Might
~Spell Familiar
~Dragon
~Level 4
~Nurgle

Sorceror- 180
~2 Dispel Scrolls
~Level 2
~Nurgle

Festus- 185
.................................................. .................................................. .....................
Core-

I'd like warriors, but they're expensive. Maybe Marauders with LA/Shield?
.................................................. .................................................. .....................
Special- 460

2x Knights(5)- 230
~Nurgle
Total- 1575

Any advice would be appreciated!

Havock
04-09-2009, 23:40
Horsemen, dogs and perhaps a hellcannon.

Red_Lep
04-09-2009, 23:44
I could mount the LV2 but Festus is the problem. Should I drop him for another LV2?

EDIT: How's this list?

Lords- 1127

Sorceror Lord- 750
~Enchanted Shield
~Sword of Might
~Spell Familiar
~Dragon
~Level 4
~Nurgle

Sorceror- 196
~2 Dispel Scrolls
~Chaos Steed
~Level 2
~Nurgle

Sorceror- 181
~Chaos Steed
~Puppet
~Level 2
~Nurgle
.................................................. ..................................
Core- 318

3x Marauder Horsemen(5)- 86
~Light Armor
~Musician
~Flais

2x Warhounds(5)- 30
.................................................. ..................................
Special- 760

2x Knights(5)- 230
~Nurgle

2x Chariot- 150
~Nurgle
Total- 2205

Brother J
05-09-2009, 06:43
i recently used a chaos lord on dragon..... he died very quickly.

If you use him you're going to have to spend a large number of points as the dragon has very weak armour.

Your lord has chaos armour (standard) = 4+
Shield = 3+
Nothing for mounted as its a dragon.... so you need to invest in a good ward save or he is going to get shot by everything high powered and lots of multiple shots.

Against a non-shooty army... well you're in heaven

I played against DE

Lol..I had the same experience actually, and somehow managed to take a bolt thrower to the Sorc. Lord's face quite quickly....

Truthfully I'd skip the dragon and run with something a bit less prone to either doing GREAT or Horridly.

snottlebocket
05-09-2009, 08:54
If you want a sorcerer zipping around looking cool you're better of just building yourself a really awesome looking demon disc and taking the golden eye to keep him safe. He'll live longer and be a lot cheaper.