PDA

View Full Version : Space Hulk 3E Tileset

Pages : [1] 2

CRasterImage
02-09-2009, 08:44
(this original post has been updated since the thread's earlier replies)

TileSystem 3.0.6 and lastest Space Hulk tileset

Everything is in a single download now. No more extra bits to install.

- Download this file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1694147/TileSystem_SpaceHulk3E_306.zip (42 meg)

- Create a folder somewhere and unzip it into the folder.

- The program's name is "TileSystem.exe".

- Be sure to turn on OpenGL support in the View menu. For a speed and fidelity boost. (assuming your video card can handle it. These days, it is pretty likely.)

- There is a sample mission in the folder to play with named Sample.ts. From within the program, just do a File->Open and locate that file.

Note that there are two styles of doors in the tileset. The sample shows both. One is a blue blobby rectangle like the kind you see in the mission book. The other style looks more like the actual door model. The hazard stripes are just to help you pick it out at a distance. The doors with X's through them are "jammed" a concept covered in one of the missions. There are also multiple styles of genestealer spawn points.

http://images.boardgamegeek.com/images/pic552221.jpg

In addition to the game's built-in bits, the tileset includes parts for Air Ducts:

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/6673/airductsample6.jpg

And tiles to cover the classic expansion bits.

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/7574/expansionssample2.jpg

Included are the regular "spacehulk3e.set" and "spacehulk3e_2sets.set" tilesets. Plus "spacehulk3e_basic.set" and "spacehulk3e_2sets_basic.set" tilesets. Which don't include the airducts and expansion tiles. These "basic" tilesets are usefulf for people who just use the materials that came with the game. Also, they load faster than the originals, since they are smaller.

There is a global flags button at the end of the toolbar. It will open a menu with the option to turn off "Glowing Jigsaw Edges". The jigsaw edges are useful for showing viewers which tiles are which. But some people find them too distracting. It will remember your choice between sessions.

Background and Border tile categories are locked by default. Which makes it easier to select tiles without accidentally grabbing the background instead. You can unlock them if you plan to play with the background, of course.

The Edit Scenario text button has been removed from the toolbar, since it wasn't a very good feature. But it is still in the program. You can find it under the edit menu, if you wish to use it.

If anyone is writing some handmade tile entries and want to know how the new features work, I could write up some documentation. The help file is horribly outdated.

You might note that there are token Space Marine, Genestealer and Scanner Blip tiles in the tileset.
Perhaps, one day, there will be a full set of the tokens to work with.

----------------------------------------------
How to make and publish a Space Hulk mission map:

- Design the map in Tilesystem.

- Chose "Publish to JPEG" from the File menu.

- Start a document in Microsoft Word, or any word processor.
(http://www.openoffice.org/ has a good, free word processor)

- Insert the jpeg image into the document.

- Write some mission description stuff. Make it pretty.

- Keep refining the map and the document's description until you think it is ready to publish.

- Convert it to a PDF file. The easiest way to do this is to install something like this:
http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp
It creates a bogus printer that, if chosen, will generate a PDF file.

- Generate the PDF and then upload it to someplace on the series of tubes.

- Post links to it on Warseer.

I have noted on my machine that the latest ATI drivers, running on video chips built into motherboards, cause TileSystem to run very slowly if you have more than a dozen different tiles on the screen. I have no idea why, but I will try to debug it. On regualr video cards, it seems to be fine.

- CRasterImage

Charax
02-09-2009, 09:28
http://members.cox.net/shawnriordan/tilesystem.htm

For anyone else who was wondering what the hell he was talking about

Darnok
02-09-2009, 09:32
Won't GW hunt this down in no time?

Anyway, nice work so far, I'd be very interested in the final result. :)

CRasterImage
02-09-2009, 09:56
For anyone else who was wondering what the hell he was talking about

Oops. Ya. I guess I didn't consider links until it was ready.

Won't GW hunt this down in no time?

Well, I hope not. There have been several space hulk mission editors over the years and they still live. If the problem is the scans, then I just hope the 128 dpi will satisfy GW that the images cannot be printed and used to generate homegrown tiles of competing quality to their cardboard.

I did a similar thing with "Doom: The Boardgame" and the FFG developer Kevin W. was delighted with the result. I hope GW has the same mentality.

Darnok
02-09-2009, 10:06
I did a similar thing with "Doom: The Boardgame" and the FFG developer Kevin W. was delighted with the result. I hope GW has the same mentality.

The bad news are: they haven proven time and again, that they do not have that mentality.

But I do hope the best, and wish you luck for the whole project. Great efforts so far, and it will be handy indeed.

Severian
02-09-2009, 10:23
As long as no GW Iconography or IP protected work is used and you describe the tile set as being intended for a science fiction spaceship game as opposed to “Space Hulk” you should not be infringing on GW IP.

scarletsquig
02-09-2009, 10:34
Yeah, expect a takedown notice any second now.

GW hates it's fans doing anything with their IP, even if it's not-for-profit.

Satan
02-09-2009, 10:35
As long as no GW Iconography or IP protected work is used and you describe the tile set as being intended for a science fiction spaceship game as opposed to “Space Hulk” you should not be infringing on GW IP.

Well, since he's scanned the *******' board they could make it a clear IP violation if they wanted to. But remember folks - it's distributing the material, not scanning it which is a violation. Or, well, that may well differ depending on where in the world you are. But posting pics of a scan you made yourself should not constitute a problem so don't bother listening to anyone trying to tell you so.

But a great idea and real helpful for folks who like this game. Hope you don't run into any trouble! If GW wanted to they could even use your work and make an app which would allow the same thing maybe?

precinctomega
02-09-2009, 11:22
Actually, duplicating or distributing the material is a violation.

GW is actually pretty open-minded about these things, but have to protect their most valuable asset: their IP. As long as you add all the appropriate disclaimers ("images are copyright Games Workshop Group PLC, used without permission") you will probably be OK.

R.

Znail
02-09-2009, 11:46
Yupp, copyright disclaimers are a good thing as its the first thing that makes companies angry when missing. Else so are GW not likely to bother unless they have plans to release their own editor, then they dont want competition, even if their own would also be free. But they have said that they dont plan to support the game, so they may have plans for a more hands off approach and thus might actualy encurage fan made stuff this time around.

Charax
02-09-2009, 12:07
I say release and be damned. This is the internet, once you put it on Mediafire, any action GW take will be a case of sealing the livestock storage building after the equine has vacated. any action GW take will, at best,do nothing and at worst it'll trigget the streisand effect and increase distribution.

rvdbarnes
02-09-2009, 13:01
Now that is impressive!

fiore hellheart
02-09-2009, 19:28
Hmm, this looks very very good. Cant wait for it to be finished.

Znail
02-09-2009, 19:30
Yup, hurry up! :angel:

rkunisch
02-09-2009, 20:04
Looks great. :D

Have fun,

Rolf.

CRasterImage
02-09-2009, 20:26
Ok, it is done. I think...

I updated the original post to keep linkages findable.

Let me know if any link is broken or something is bork'd.

Charax
02-09-2009, 20:37
Fantastic work! this'll make making maps for Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader much easier :D

rkunisch
02-09-2009, 20:52
Thanks alot! That is really a nice tool. I see lots of nice mission coming up. :D

Have fun,

Rolf.

wallacer
02-09-2009, 20:58
Great job, I will get a lot of use out of this.

AndrewGPaul
03-09-2009, 07:40
Might have to grab that, I think - looks like an interesting program. I wonder if anyone's done scans of Rackham's tiles?

- Deathwing -
03-09-2009, 08:01
Quite useful.

Very good work.

kliffmaster
03-09-2009, 09:07
wonderfull job!!!
I hope a lot of work like this continue to follow for this great game.
I'm a french user of the first time of space hulk and this program is very useful
for campaign...
thanks a lot

fiore hellheart
03-09-2009, 17:14
The finished version is in the first post for anybody who skipped to the second page like me.

x_ReepeR_x
03-09-2009, 17:49
Good stuff, i read in another post that GW were going to post a pdf mission generator but this is way better.

CRasterImage
03-09-2009, 18:01
Ok, I made a new tileset file named SpaceHulk3E_2sets.set and it's satellite set files.

It accommodates making maps where the user has 2 sets of Space Hulk to work with.
The only difference is the number of tiles values. So it will warn you correctly when you have two sets.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1694147/SpaceHulk3E_2sets.zip

Unzip it into the same folder with the other stuff.

(you still need the original tileset too)

In the program, there is a command "Change Tileset" under the File menu. Where you can go pick which tileset to use.

Maps remember which tileset they use. So, if you have a map you wish to switch over to the 2 set tileset, you need to:
- Open the map. (which will load the regular tileset he was created with)
- Change tilesets to the new one.
- Save map.

From that point on, the map will remember that he uses the 2 set tileset.

CRasterImage
03-09-2009, 18:31
Tilesystem usage tips:

- Try the OpenGL option if you can. I was tempted to make it OpenGL only, but some people with older laptops would be screwed. So I left the software rendering in.

- Use the mouse wheel, if you have one. Rolling the wheel zooms in and out. Holding down the wheel while dragging allows you to pan around. This allows you to not have to switch away from the edit tool, where you will spend most of your time.

- Try the "Advanced Mouse Wheel Zoom" feature under the View menu. Rolling the mouse forward causes it to zoom in on the location where your mouse cursor is at, rather than just zoom in on the center of the screen. Rolling the mouse wheel back causes it to zoom out towards the map's extents, rather than just zoom out centered on the screen.

- If you have a large, high resolution monitor, play with the tile panel options under the View menu. You can choose large or small tile thumbnails in the tile panel. You can also choose how many columns to show. Doing this, or resizing the window, can cause the main view to draw garbage at first. Since the target window has changed. Just pan or zoom to make it redraw and it will be normal again.

- If you want to call attention to a room, or section of a map, you can color-tint it. This is useful for things like making note of rooms where the Space Marine player has to flame the room. Select the tiles you want to tint and then hit the "Set Tile Color" toolbar button. (or pick the command from the Edit menu) Then you can pick the color and the amount to tint.

- If you want to make text labels larger or smaller, select the text tile and then go to the Edit menu. There is an option called "Scale Tile".

- If you want a text label, or any tile, to not snap to the grid or rotate to 90 degree increments, then select the tile(s) and go to the Edit menu and pick "Set Tile Free". This is useful for precision placement or rotation.

- If you want to change the font (for all text), go to the SpaceHulk3E folder and open the "gui.set" file in notepad. Find the line that says "fontname="Arial"" and change it to something else. The change wont take effect until you restart the program.

Anyone know of a good Warhammer 40k font?

Motley
03-09-2009, 18:57
Thank you soooooooo much man this is perfect!!!!!!

fiore hellheart
03-09-2009, 20:26
How on earth do i add another tile to the set or make it so i can have like 50 or so of one room ect?

CRasterImage
03-09-2009, 20:43
You can place more instances of something into a map, than the set comes with. It will just flag it as overused in the tile panel. If you want the tile panel to think you have 50 of something, find the appropriate tileset file and open it in notepad. Find the tile and change it's "maxcount" value to 50.

If you want to add a whole new tile to the set, find the set it should go in and open it. Copy / paste an existing tile. Change it to point to your custom .png file. Change it's name to something unique. (You can't have more than one tile with the same name)

fiore hellheart
03-09-2009, 21:28
Thanks, now i have my custom stealer entry tile.

CRasterImage
03-09-2009, 21:44
I made some arrows and put them in an add-on download:
https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1694147/SpaceHulkArrows.zip
(unzip into the same place as before. Will replace your gui.set file)

I think they are useful for ladders, and calling attention to special spots on the map. Example:
http://images.boardgamegeek.com/images/pic553165.jpg

Since they are grey by default, you will need to color tint them. Preferably at 100% tint.

Also, to position / lengthen them just right, enable the "Show Resize Handles" option in the Edit menu.

CRasterImage
03-09-2009, 21:47
Let's see the custom png fellheart. Others might want it.

CRasterImage
03-09-2009, 22:11
(I don't seem to be getting any "actual" work done today. Too distracted)

How to make and publish a Space Hulk mission map:

- Design the map in Tilesystem.

- Chose "Publish to JPEG" from the File menu.

- Start a document in Microsoft Word, or any word processor.
(http://www.openoffice.org/ has a good, free word processor)

- Insert the jpeg image into the document.

- Write some mission description stuff. Make it pretty.

- Keep refining the map and the document's description until you think it is ready to publish.

- Convert it to a PDF file. The easiest way to do this is to install something like this:
http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp
It creates a bogus printer that, if chosen, will generate a PDF file.

- Upload PDF to someplace on the series of tubes.

- Post links to it on Warseer.

- Profit. (not really. Just a joke GW)

I will keep updating the root post so that stuff can be found more easily.

Tommygun
03-09-2009, 22:52
Every time I try to change the tile set I get an Error Massage "File Does Not Exist".

CRasterImage
03-09-2009, 22:58
Every time I try to change the tile set I get an Error Massage "File Does Not Exist".

I assume you mean changing the tileset from regular to the "2 sets" version.
Perhaps the zip file was unzipped into the wrong folder.

Can you verify that both the "SpaceHulk3E.set" file and the "SpaceHulk3E_2sets.set" file are in the same folder? (there should be no other .set files in there) Also, there should be only one folder next to them named "SpaceHulk3E". If you have a "Copy of SpaceHulk3E" or something, then the files went in the wrong place.

Tommygun
03-09-2009, 23:21
This is what I have and where it's at.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/Sptile.jpg

CRasterImage
03-09-2009, 23:27
Ah. I think you unzipped it into it's own directory instead of into your "Tilesystem304".
Just grab those two things and move them to the Tilesystem304 directory.
You will be asked to replace the folder, but just say yes. It is adding new files to the existing folder.

(I am assuming that the Tilesystem304 dir is where the program is.)

mrt181
03-09-2009, 23:48
When you use OpenOffice you do not need an additional PDF Printer, you can directly create a PDF through OpenOffice.

Otherwise i recommend PDFCreator (http://en.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator) for windows when you need a PDF printer and SumatraPDF (http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/index.html) as a viewer - much faster than Adobe - Both apps are opensource.

CRasterImage
04-09-2009, 00:31
We should probably take this conversation off-line into messages from this point forward.

I think you are getting closer. From the screenshot, it looks like the original space hulk zip file (https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1694147/TileSystem_SpaceHulk3E.zip) wasn't unzipped into your existing Tilesystem folder.

If you unzipped it someplace else, delete it from there and re-unzip it to the Tilesystem304 directory, or just move it to the Tilesystem304 directory.

note that it includes a new version of the TileSystem.exe file. (v305)

Tommygun
04-09-2009, 00:46
Thanks I got it working.
The first Space hulk file was missing items.
The new files works though.
Thank you again.

Sandalphon
04-09-2009, 02:24
@ CRasterImage, This is -Ace-! thank you so much. Simple to use, and looks great. Double thumbs up for the 2 set useage! I have 2 sets and this will make it simple to design maps without using more tiles then I really have. /salute!

CRasterImage
04-09-2009, 05:46
You're welcome Sandalphon. As well as the rest of you. Thanks for the kudos! It is one of the things that fuels weekend warrior projects.

fiore hellheart
04-09-2009, 06:22
Here You go

I have added a patch for mine in a zip file. Dowload it then extract the contents to the SpaceHulk3E folder. Ylick yes when asked to overwrite the end pieces file. Then if you open it up again you should have the infestation end piece tile.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68685&d=1252046209

CRasterImage
04-09-2009, 06:30
I don't see it. Could the link be bad?

fiore hellheart
04-09-2009, 06:36
Maybe, Ill re-do it as an attachment.

EDIT: done ^^^

Charax
04-09-2009, 06:48
the Infestation tile reminds me of the times I used to combine Space Hulk and Tyranid Attack tiles to make an infested hulk :D

CRasterImage
04-09-2009, 06:51
Ooh! Pretty!

GW should have gone for one more sheet of cardboard and done up the spawns like that.

CRasterImage
04-09-2009, 07:26
I just thought of something: How do you indicate that the spawn point is supposed to be a "second wave" spawn point?

(a concept covered in one of the mission briefings)

Znail
04-09-2009, 09:50
Double arrows?

snottlebocket
04-09-2009, 10:28
How about spawnpoints that are closed by a hatch that looks like it's being battered, clawed and shredded from the other side?

zedmeister
04-09-2009, 12:10
Any tilesets for 2nd or even 1st edition space hulk kicking about? The author makes mention of a "Spacehulk tileset" on the his website.

goroul
04-09-2009, 15:25
Fantastic work!

I had a quick play around and put a brief (probably flawed) scenario together- can you spot the Aliens influence?

Let me know what you think, hoping to see plenty of other new scenarios from everyone out there.

Goroul

fiore hellheart
04-09-2009, 16:01
I just thought of something: How do you indicate that the spawn point is supposed to be a "second wave" spawn point?

(a concept covered in one of the mission briefings)

On the map i simply placed an arrow over it anyway. so the double arrows sorted that out.

@CRasterImage. Is it possible that you can provide me with the hi res image of the disposal chutes? Also how come the background image is so small?

@goroul. Awsome, thanks for using my tile but i think in that mission looks fun. Need to test it though as i think 50 may be too little with those sentry guns.

@snottlebucket. How do you mean. As in the hatch has been battered and opened or battered and not quite opened. either way they are both going to be hard to do but i think i will give them a shot. Wont be great though.

CRasterImage
04-09-2009, 18:53
Sorry hellheart, I didn't scan the images.
I assume you are asking so that you can print out custom bits and glue to some cardboard or something.

If your Alien artwork is at a higher res, then you could always upscale the tile and paste the high res alien artwork on top.

Also, if it makes more sense for them to have purple arrowheads (single or double) on them, then maybe the editor's version should have the arrowheads built into them?

fiore hellheart
04-09-2009, 19:06
I wanted i higher res image so that i could print these as replacements for the elien entry points. I will however take your suggestion and add purple arrows however they will be small arrows in the centre of the chute so that you can still see my detail. Also if i was to get A higher res peice of art then i would completely re-do the niddy stuff on top because i forgot to save it as a PSD. I will re-do my tile then and post modified tiles and files here in a bit.

Also its quite funny going through the scans of the tiles as you can see quite clearly that they must have made a model of all of the floors and photographed them for the tiles. Especially on the fourlong corridor with control panels in it.

CRasterImage
04-09-2009, 19:25
I heard two conflicting rumors about how they made (some / all) the board sections.

One story was that they created physical models and painted them and lit them with little bulbs.

The other story was that it was all done in a 3D modeling software package. Or maybe just the lighting was added to the physical models using 3D software.

Either way, the results are beautiful. The little details like blood stains, oil stains, bolter casings, rusted / eroded holes in the floor, a discarded scroll, a cogitator left on, etc...

dahli.llama
04-09-2009, 19:41
Very cool.

Thanks for this.

Guerillaboy
04-09-2009, 20:06
Cool program, already working on a mission, any play testers?? I would but I wont be able to until next week sometime.

fiore hellheart
04-09-2009, 20:31
I heard two conflicting rumors about how they made (some / all) the board sections.

One story was that they created physical models and painted them and lit them with little bulbs.

The other story was that it was all done in a 3D modeling software package. Or maybe just the lighting was added to the physical models using 3D software.

Either way, the results are beautiful. The little details like blood stains, oil stains, bolter casings, rusted / eroded holes in the floor, a discarded scroll, a cogitator left on, etc...

I believe that they moddeled them for real. but only the floor pieces. then added in extras such as the bolter casings and skulls and bllood ect, with an image editing program such as photoshop.

Guerillaboy
04-09-2009, 20:58
Alright so I just finished my mission. Haven't been able to "truly" play test it since I don't have anyone to play with right now. So If anyone plays it, some input would be wonderful. This mission has no name currently.

Edit: Updated a few small things in the pdf (special rules)

Edit 2: Fixed the door positions and added text for the fallen captain.

fiore hellheart
04-09-2009, 21:27
Alright so I just finished my mission. Haven't been able to "truly" play test it since I don't have anyone to play with right now. So If anyone plays it, some input would be wonderful. This mission has no name currently.

Edit: Updated a few small things in the pdf (special rules)

It looks like an awsome mission however you have placed doors on the joins between tiles when they take up a space on a tile instead.

Guerillaboy
04-09-2009, 21:28
It looks like an awsome mission however you have placed doors on the joins between tiles when they take up a space on a tile instead.

Just noticed that, I will get that fixed asap.

AndrewGPaul
05-09-2009, 15:40
Any tilesets for 2nd or even 1st edition space hulk kicking about? The author makes mention of a "Spacehulk tileset" on the his website.

http://spacehulk.barsoom.cc/mirrors/shc/

Click "Inventories" on the left. You may need to fiddle with the images in Paint Shop Pro or the like, to resize them and save them as .png files.

CRasterImage
05-09-2009, 21:29
I missed a question earlier, which was "Why is the background image so small?"

I guess I made it small because it was going to be too dark to make out details anyway. On purpose. You don't want the background art to compete with the foreground art.

However, I wouldn't mind making a aesthetics addon. A higher resolution image for the background, for example. Does anyone know where I could find good 40k artwork? Borders especially. I have an idea that will allow people to add borders to the artwork so that it looks pretty when published to a jpeg.

Any ideas?

Also, do you think people would like to have the background image and grid being drawn when publishing to a jpeg? right now, it just uses the background color. (a very dark green)

fiore hellheart
05-09-2009, 22:48
I missed a question earlier, which was "Why is the background image so small?"

I guess I made it small because it was going to be too dark to make out details anyway. On purpose. You don't want the background art to compete with the foreground art.

However, I wouldn't mind making a aesthetics addon. A higher resolution image for the background, for example. Does anyone know where I could find good 40k artwork? Borders especially. I have an idea that will allow people to add borders to the artwork so that it looks pretty when published to a jpeg.

Any ideas?

Also, do you think people would like to have the background image and grid being drawn when publishing to a jpeg? right now, it just uses the background color. (a very dark green)

For good artwork check out deviant art, if you ask people on there most of them should let you use their artwork. As for borders however i have no idea where to get one. you or i could make one of course but how will that work with the jpg publishing when the size of jpgs are different to each map?

CRasterImage
05-09-2009, 23:33
For borders, I was thinking that the corners would have little artwork tiles and the sides would have repeated placement of a tile with a repeatable pattern to it.

In this example, I stole the art from Rogue Trader for the corner bits. Then grabbed a repeating hazard pattern from Space Hulk itself. (not sure I like it)

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1694147/Sample.jpg

I am not very good at artwork, but if anyone has bits that might be useful, then go ahead and post 'em.

BTW, the reason for the borders is this: When I saw the two posted maps that people designed, I realized that there was a problem. The Jpeg's width and height are made to be just large enough to accommodate the tiles being used. So that means the board pieces are right up next to the edge of the image. Aesthetically, you want a little more breathing room there. Otherwise it feels too crowded. In my sample image, I should have given it even more room than I did, since the board pieces are still crowded. Against the border art, this time. It was just a test.

By placing some artwork tiles on the map, the publish to jpg feature calculates it's dimentions to include them and everything looks alright.

On an unrelated note: Your published jpeg doesn't have to have the copyright notice on it. You can hack the gui.set file and delete that bit to get rid of it. Though you would need to include that copyright statement in your mission's text somewhere. Usually at the top or bottom of the document.

fiore hellheart
05-09-2009, 23:37
For borders, I was thinking that the corners would have little artwork tiles and the sides would have repeated placement of a tile with a repeatable pattern to it.

In this example, I stole the art from Rogue Trader for the corner bits. Then grabbed a repeating hazard pattern from Space Hulk itself. (not sure I like it)

I am not very good at artwork, but if anyone has bits that might be useful, then go ahead and post 'em.

BTW, the reason for the borders is this: When I saw the two posted maps that people designed, I realized that there was a problem. The Jpeg's width and height are made to be just large enough to accommodate the tiles being used. So that means the board pieces are right up next to the edge of the image. Aesthetically, you want a little more breathing room there. Otherwise it feels too crowded. In my sample image, I should have given it even more room than I did, since the board pieces are still crowded. Against the border art, this time. It was just a test.

If you like i would be able to re-do those corner pieces and the edge pieces. Also i think that the jpg image should have a grid behind it. i think that it would make it more interesting as plain green is quite boring.

CRasterImage
05-09-2009, 23:44
Sure, give it a whack:

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1694147/border_corner_1.png
https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1694147/border_corner_2.png
https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1694147/border_corner_3.png
https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1694147/border_corner_4.png
https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1694147/border_edge_1.png

Also, if you have original art that would be great too.
Also, background image suggestions are welcome.

I agree about the grid. I think I will go play with the code and see.

(I edited my earlier post a bit)

lagoon83
06-09-2009, 01:15
I'm working on transferring the Spawn of Execration campaign from 2nd Ed over to the shiny new format.

The forum's being weird about me uploading the pdf, so it's over here instead:

Mission 2:1 Break Through (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e2eef5ada200ec60d1014a7a667fa2b4e04e75f6 e8ebb871)

I'll throw these up on here as I go through them.

CRasterImage
06-09-2009, 04:31
I got the grid drawing on the published jpeg.
I also got rid of the background image and instead made it so that the user can place background images manually. That way they can be high res, maintain their aspect ratio and show up in the published jpeg.

I created 2 background images: The imperial eagle and the crux terminatus.

Here is the sample map published:

nedius
06-09-2009, 14:48
An excellent resource!

How do I get the grid and border in my maps? Mine are just the plain green?

penguin663
06-09-2009, 15:23
I'm having problems with publishing Missions, when I publish to JPEG, the file appears but it is just a white box with the words "Space Hulk is the copyright of Games Workshop". How can I fix this?

CRasterImage
06-09-2009, 15:51
An excellent resource!

How do I get the grid and border in my maps? Mine are just the plain green?

I just added that ability. I will release the new .exe along with the border options once they are done. Perhaps today.

I'm having problems with publishing Missions, when I publish to JPEG, the file appears but it is just a white box with the words "Space Hulk is the copyright of Games Workshop". How can I fix this?

Try it with, and without OpenGL enabled and see if that effects it at all.

penguin663
06-09-2009, 16:02
Thanks got It working now. Really great bit of kit you've got CRasterImage:)

AndrewGPaul
06-09-2009, 18:53
I noticed that problem - for some reason, the png files are enormous - a 2-sqare corridor image file is about 10cm square - so the resulting mapname.jpg file is similarly huge. When you publish, because the jpeg is so huge, only the top corner shows up in mapname.html when viewed on a normal monitor.

nedius
06-09-2009, 18:55
I just added that ability. I will release the new .exe along with the border options once they are done. Perhaps today.

will look forward to it!

A very nice tool!

AndrewGPaul
06-09-2009, 18:57
Try reducing the size using the drop-down box. The Sample map is 3456x3456 pixels at full-size. Even at 20% it's still legible.

CRasterImage
06-09-2009, 19:07
Oh! You guys must be using the scenario text feature. When you publish to jpg with scenario text available, it also makes an html page that points to the jpg. If you don't put any text in the scenario text field, then it just publishes the jpeg alone.

That scenario text feature isn't very good. You are better off writing your scenario text in Word or some other word processor and then inserting the published jpeg into the document and resizing it to your liking.

After I wrote the feature, I realized that I didn't really want to start down the path of creating a word processor. But it was too late to undo it. The feature was in. I also hesitate to remove the feature, since someone might be using it. But I don't advise people to use it. Nor do I advertise the feature much.

doghouse
06-09-2009, 19:10
I've started using this for making scenarios and it's fantastic mate.
Thanks for all the hard work, you've created an invaluable resource for us Space Hulk nuts and I can't recommend it enough. :)

CRasterImage
06-09-2009, 19:20
Thanks!

I actually wrote the program 3 or so years ago. It was mostly used by the Doom boardgame crowd, a bit by the Descent crowd, and heavily by the Dwarven Forge terrain crowd. (those guys actually took photos of every resin DF terrain piece and created PNGs out of them all. They are crazy)

I found a grungy texture that I was able to recolor and tweak and I think it makes a pretty cool background texture too:

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1694147/grunge.jpg

AndrewGPaul
06-09-2009, 19:31
Oh! You guys must be using the scenario text feature. When you publish to jpg with scenario text available, it also makes an html page that points to the jpg. If you don't put any text in the scenario text field, then it just publishes the jpeg alone.

Even without that, the default-sized jpeg makes Microsoft Office Photo Editor (my default picture viewer) cry - it must have a maximum image size or something.

CRasterImage
06-09-2009, 19:53
Ya, they can be a bit hefty when published at 100%.
A 3000x3000 image would require 27 meg of memory when uncompressed.

Lykos
07-09-2009, 01:33
This is great. Thanks for making it. Keep the updates coming. This can only get better.

Christine
07-09-2009, 10:54
Very impressive been playing with it this morning. Not sure if anyone else has noticed but the makeup of tiles in the box is differentr to the last version of the game. I was translating mission 1 of the Fate of the Sword of Halcyon campaign and discovered that it doesn't work exactly - very frustrating!

CRasterImage
07-09-2009, 12:20
the makeup of tiles in the box is differentr to the last version of the game. I was translating mission 1 of the Fate of the Sword of Halcyon campaign and discovered that it doesn't work exactly - very frustrating!

I was actually wondering if it would be a cool project to try to convert the Deathwing expansion missions to 3rd Edition. Perhaps even the Space Hulk Campaigns. (minus any psychic-heavy missions)

Christine
07-09-2009, 12:23
Good idea CRasterImage. This btw is my take on mission 1 from the fate of the sword of halycon campaign if anyone wants to critique it...

AndrewGPaul
07-09-2009, 12:52
I was actually wondering if it would be a cool project to try to convert the Deathwing expansion missions to 3rd Edition. Perhaps even the Space Hulk Campaigns. (minus any psychic-heavy missions)

Most of the Deathwing missions from "Broken Knife's Duty" are already in 3rd edition; out of the 12 missions, 6 are from 1st ed, Pitfall is from a White Dwarf and 4 are from Deathwing. Only Escape Route is entirely new. Artefact is basically mission 1 from Deathwing (with the Chalice standing in for the Captain's Log). C.A.T. Hunt is missing because you only get one C.A.T. in the 3rd ed box.

neXus6
07-09-2009, 14:08
Just started having a play about with the program and I have to say it is wonderful.

Though every time I zoom in and out I feel the need to zoom ALL the way out and imagine making a map that used the whole space you've given in the grid.
:D

Darnok
07-09-2009, 14:32

I had a look through my older WDs and the 2nd Ed. mission book, comparing them to the 3rd Ed. missions. There is little to no difference at all, so I guess you could transfer them simply 1:1. I don't have access to the 1st Ed. and Deathwing missions, but I think they would be the same. So there is not really much work to be done, which I think is a good thing - I have a good dozen other missions to play right from the start! :D

AndrewGPaul
07-09-2009, 15:06
The maps are identical. Escape Route is new, and Artefact uses the 3x4 room, rather than a 3x3 room as it was in the mission in Deathwing (although the object is in the same place as it was, because it's in front of the dead Terminator). There's a couple of tweaks - the power field generators in Unknown Lifeforms could scatter in the original (roll a die when placed; goes 1 square long on a 6, 1 square short on a 1) - and the rules for LOS down a ladder don't seem to be included.

fiore hellheart
07-09-2009, 15:50
Righto im going to post up any of the addon pics i have made for myself. Mate you may need to resize the border hazard stripe as it is a bit wide. However it is tilable in a straight line.

Also if there are any special tiles anybody wants i can give it a shot.

CRasterImage
07-09-2009, 21:24
Is this border good enough:
https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1694147/Sample2.jpg

nedius
07-09-2009, 21:34
very! Liking muchly!

(Evil)Ash
07-09-2009, 23:28
This is bloody great and looks top notch. Thanx a bunch. :cool:

CRasterImage
08-09-2009, 02:27
Ok, here is the latest version:

(If you have customized anything, be sure to back it up first)

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1694147/TileSystem_SpaceHulk3E.zip

It includes the program, tileset and all addons so far.
It is the only thing you need, if you were to start from scratch.

If you have customized images or font settings in the gui.set file, you will need to re-add them to the tilesets since this download will overwrite them.

It includes fiore hellheart's artwork, including his alternate genestealer spawn points.
They are included in addition to the traditional spawn points.
There are also generic genestealer spawn arrows that have no jigsaw glow to them.
They are useful for making unusual genestealer spawn locations.
Like the middle of a room, or from the wall of a room.
The new .exe includes the ability to draw a grid on the published jpg.
There are some new markers.
Eight letters (A through H) that are useful for labeling rooms, sections of a map, or locations on the map.
In the same vein as the X marker.

There is no longer an on-screen background.
Instead, you can build your map's background using some border bits and textures.
Most of the bits are used at a higher scale than the original artwork. 2 times larger, or more.
You can control tile scales from the edit menu command "Scale Tile" or by the menu command "Show Resize Handles".

Preview of published output: (10 meg jpeg)
The sample image (and included map) show some of these new things, like the different genestealer spawn styles.

It is best to wait till you are nearly done with a map before you give it a border or background.
Since you cannot be absolutely sure how much room you are going to need until then.
Otherwise you will have to tweak the border and background later.
Also, be sure to give your map 4 to 10 grid units of elbow room between the map and the border.
This keeps it from looking too crowded.

For doing / having background graphics, there is another feature that you should learn to use:
The tile panel's lock, unlock and hide ability.
Each tile catagory has a little lock icon next to it.
Which controls whether or not you can select or see that catagory.
It is useful to lock catagories that you are not currently editing.
So that you don't move, rotate or delete them by accident.

Temprus
08-09-2009, 03:18
Thanks for the updated set, a very useful piece of software! :D

nedius
08-09-2009, 06:58
This is great! An excellent resource!

Any ideas where you'll take it from here? Or if you'll do so?

CRasterImage
08-09-2009, 07:40
For the Space Hulk tileset, I will probably still keep an eye out for new textures to add for the purpose of either making it pretty, or making it easy to note special map situations.

For TileSystem, I was working on a new direction before the Space Hulk craze came over me. That direction was: Using TileSystem for play-by-email style of games. Where players would make their moves in the program and then the map (with the changes/moves) would be sent to the other players. Rinse, repeat.

I was in the middle of making a "figure X moves from location A to location B, then turns, then moves to location C" display helper / feature. You can see it if you drop an X marker on your map and then go to the view menu and enable the "Track Movement Mode" option. Then select the X and move him down a hallway, rotate him, move him another direction, etc...

Tommygun
08-09-2009, 09:59
For TileSystem, I was working on a new direction before the Space Hulk craze came over me. That direction was: Using TileSystem for play-by-email style of games. Where players would make their moves in the program and then the map (with the changes/moves) would be sent to the other players. Rinse, repeat.

Yes, sign me up please, I'll take ten.

Cpt. Drill
08-09-2009, 14:46
This is an incredible tol for making maps and my hat goes off to you and anyone who has made missions so far!

The e-mail idea sounds good but how would you do dice rolls? And how about in the genestealers turn doing overwatch and command points?

Leeman Russ
08-09-2009, 14:50
Wow this looks awesome - I've got no access to a Windows PC though :( I guess I'll have to sort out Bootcamp!

fiore hellheart
09-09-2009, 17:55
New space marine controlled area tile (for the poeple who hate jigsaw ends.)

http://www.warseer.com/gallery/data/500/terminator_controlled_area_alt.png

CRasterImage
09-09-2009, 18:25
New space marine controlled area tile

"Once again, things that could have been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!"

- Adam Sandler in "The Wedding Singer"

;-)

Good idea. Perhaps also a rounded end-cap style of marine start? I think that is how 1st and 2nd edition did it. In fact, I am not entirely sure what the rounded end-caps are used for in 3rd edition. I will have to consult my mission book when I get home tonight.

If they are not used for anything special, it might be worth it to just glue the marine start tiles to them...

Maybe I can package them into another add-on.

fiore hellheart
09-09-2009, 18:47
"Once again, things that could have been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!"

Well im afraid that unless you have a time machine that would have been impossible as I only made the tile about 10-15 minutes before uploading it on here.

I too was wondering about the rounded end pieces aswell as they are called airlocks but appear to just be dead ends. Also i didnt want to do a round cap version because that would make them very simillar to those and besides there would not be enough room to sufficiantly build the tile up. without making it look like an airlock piece.

CRasterImage
09-09-2009, 18:51
No problem, I was just razzing you.

Znail
09-09-2009, 19:00
Yeah, the rounded bits was used in earlier versions to indicate the marine start area. I think that and the 5 squares the squad started on was supposed to be a boarding torpedo.

Teufelskerl
09-09-2009, 19:03
Perhaps also a rounded end-cap style of marine start? I think that is how 1st and 2nd edition did it. In fact, I am not entirely sure what the rounded end-caps are used for in 3rd edition. I will have to consult my mission book when I get home tonight.

The round end-caps could be used as a dead end for corridors, but were also intended to be used as a Bulkhead were a marine could (semi-)secure an entry point from the genestealer player.

fiore hellheart
09-09-2009, 20:57
The round end-caps could be used as a dead end for corridors, but were also intended to be used as a Bulkhead were a marine could (semi-)secure an entry point from the genestealer player.

How did you secure an entry point then?

@crasterimage, I know i was joking.

AndrewGPaul
09-09-2009, 22:22
I'd use a rounded end for that piece because your example up there adds an extra square to the map. Not that it makes a difference, really, but I'm nitpicky like that. :)

Actually, for both the Marine and 'stealer entry pieces, my preference would be for it to fade to black, representing the corridors of the hulk behind them stretching off into the distance.

fiore hellheart
10-09-2009, 07:03
I'd use a rounded end for that piece because your example up there adds an extra square to the map. Not that it makes a difference, really, but I'm nitpicky like that. :)

Actually, for both the Marine and 'stealer entry pieces, my preference would be for it to fade to black, representing the corridors of the hulk behind them stretching off into the distance.

Yes me example does add another square to the map but it is unusable due to the large symbol. I did also try to make it look like a doorway into other parts of the ship and you can see that a bit. As said though i wanted to keep away from the rounded piece due to lack of space on the tile but i'll give one a go when i get back from school today.

Lancer X
10-09-2009, 20:28
Wow, amazing job and great interface! Thanks, CRasterImage!

Dangersaurus
11-09-2009, 17:27
Hi, great work on this! Is there any way to add the tile zedmeister (http://www.warseer.com/forums/member.php?u=46638) posted here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3941199#post3941199)?

CRasterImage
11-09-2009, 17:36
It looks like AndrewGPaul is going to tackle the conversion task. Once he does, I can help make a "WhiteDwarfAddOns.set" and host the .zip.

vodski
11-09-2009, 18:20
This is great stuff. That travel space hulk using epic models, (from the last firebase?) can look a lot nicer now.

Bugstomper
11-09-2009, 18:28
CRasterImage you are officially my hero. This tool is fantastic and so well made, really appreciate it, you're a legend!

AndrewGPaul
11-09-2009, 18:48
Nitpick; is there a way to reduce the image sizes to 65% of their current size (or equivalently, increase the dpi to 154%), so the tiles would print at actual size? I tried simply resizing all the images, but that cocked up the display - for some reason, the tiles wouldn't line up properly in the TileSet screen.

fiore hellheart
11-09-2009, 18:56
Nitpick; is there a way to reduce the image sizes to 65% of their current size (or equivalently, increase the dpi to 154%), so the tiles would print at actual size? I tried simply resizing all the images, but that cocked up the display - for some reason, the tiles wouldn't line up properly in the TileSet screen.

I think this is the reason that you have to make any image a multiple of 64, this is the snap grid size and if they are smaller they will not aline by a 64X64 grid. I think the only way you can do this is to uncheck a snap fit setting but i dont know how to do this. Also if you want to do a travel hulk simply go into the 3e folder and all of the images are there as gifs. If you add them into a word document you can play around with sizes. Alternativly open an image editor, like photoshop and alter the sizes.

CRasterImage
11-09-2009, 19:25
@Bugstomper: Thanks dude!

@AndrewGPaul: The images cannot be resized without making them no longer work in the Tilesystem program. If your goal is to print out each tile seperately so that it can be printed and cut out, then I think hellheart's idea is best. Insert them into Word and then resize them on the layout. Or, to cut down on time, you could arrange the tiles in tilesytem and then publish a series of single sheet jpegs and then paste those into Word. That way you only have to resize a single image per page, rather than half a dozen. Also, you would have to hack the gui.set file so that the publish background color was white and the grid didn't draw during publish.

@hellheart: I plan to release an add-on tonight that has some new markers and stuff. I want to include your alternate marine control tile. Can you think of any other variants on it that might be useful?

@general audience: If you are wondering why the .png files are done at 128 pixels per square (dpi) the reason is: It is a number that is easily reducable by powers of 2. Graphic rendering engines will often make "mip maps" out of images. These are a series of images of the main image, but each is reduced by a factor of 2. This is done for fast bilinear filtering. The smooth transition of color from pixel to pixel without dropping any data. Mipmaps look best (fewer artifacts) when the data is based on a size that is easily reducible by a power of 2.

torn
11-09-2009, 19:43
wow this is great thanks. i thought it would be complicated (looks a lot like my scalextric track designer) but the controls are so simple and intuative i will be using it with much haste! scans are great and thanks for the option of tiles from 2 box sets.

fiore hellheart
11-09-2009, 19:57
@hellheart: I plan to release an add-on tonight that has some new markers and stuff. I want to include your alternate marine control tile. Can you think of any other variants on it that might be useful?

@general audience: If you are wondering why the .png files are done at 128 pixels per square (dpi) the reason is: It is a number that is easily reducable by powers of 2. Graphic rendering engines will often make "mip maps" out of images. These are a series of images of the main image, but each is reduced by a factor of 2. This is done for fast bilinear filtering. The smooth transition of color from pixel to pixel without dropping any data. Mipmaps look best (fewer artifacts) when the data is based on a size that is easily reducible by a power of 2.

Sorry but i can not think of any other useful variants, if others can then please say and i will give tham a shot.

I know that andrwgpaul is working on some tiles, and i think that there are 16 other tiles not done from various expansion so I may do som of those. Will take a while to get all 16 though.

Also thanks alot for the explanation of imaghes sizes, it seems so simple now, and also explains why images are always better to look at in 50% or 25% in word or photoshop.

AndrewGPaul
11-09-2009, 20:39
If I keep the image size the same, but increase the print DPI, it should come out the same on paper.

I've got scans of all the 1st edition Space Hulk tiles, as well as the 2nd edition tiles, and the tiles from Deathwing and Genestealer in a 2nd edition style. I might see about putting them into png files and knocking together a tileset.

AndrewGPaul
11-09-2009, 20:40
OK, I've got a version of that gantry piece done.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/andrewgpaul/room_5_5_gantry.png

Dangersaurus
11-09-2009, 21:58
OK, I've got a version of that gantry piece done.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/andrewgpaul/room_5_5_gantry.png

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right - I've edited it into my .set file, put the image into the correct folder and it shows up. However, it's quite a bit too small - am I doing anything wrong or is photobucket resizing things?

CRasterImage
11-09-2009, 22:03
Cool image Andrew! Though the width needs to be 800, I think.

Dangersaurus, perhaps you grabbed the thumbnail image, rather than the image he linked to?

AndrewGPaul
11-09-2009, 22:37
CrasterImage, I based it on one of your images - it should be the right size. If not, resize it. You'll need to add your green fading outline anyway - I cocked up the alpha channel when I did this version.

For some reason, Firefox renders that image much darker than does Photoshop or MS Photo Editor.

Dangersaurus
11-09-2009, 22:51
Cool image Andrew! Though the width needs to be 800, I think.

Dangersaurus, perhaps you grabbed the thumbnail image, rather than the image he linked to?

Nope, I grabbed it straight from the photobucket link. I've even tried grabbing it in two different browsers. Here's a comparison in TileSystem:

CRasterImage
11-09-2009, 22:52
The image is a bit smaller than it should be. I suspect it has been converted to 96dpi.
Do you have the original Andrew?

Despoiler
11-09-2009, 23:06
downloaded it today its an excellent program just what i needed to design some larger missions using to sets of tiles.

CRasterImage
12-09-2009, 00:29
Ok, I had to re-create it.
This should be the right size
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4169/room5x52doorsgantry.png

Dangersaurus
12-09-2009, 02:03
Excellent. Works perfectly now.

Hashshashin
12-09-2009, 02:37
You guys are my heroes!!!

This is great, I am happy to see such a cool thing come out of the SH community.

stormtrooper154
12-09-2009, 07:17
Thanks for this tile syestem!! I remember sitting drawing out maps on graph paper when I was a kid so this is brilliant!

One question - how do you add these new rooms (gantry) to the tile system?

Dangersaurus
12-09-2009, 07:40
Thanks for this tile syestem!! I remember sitting drawing out maps on graph paper when I was a kid so this is brilliant!

One question - how do you add these new rooms (gantry) to the tile system?

Place the image file in your "SpaceHulk3E" folder and add the following lines to your "Rooms.set" and/or "Rooms_2sets.set" file:

<Tile name="room5x52doorsgantry" sort="10" type="0" maxcount="1" warn="true">
SpaceHulk3E\room5x52doorsgantry.png
</Tile>

AndrewGPaul
12-09-2009, 08:40
Thanks for that. Not sure why the dpi changed. For some reason, for your images, Photoshop reckons they're 72dpi, while MS Photo Editor says they're 38dpcm (96dpi).

What are the sizes you used for the tileset images? I'd like to do compatible images for the 1st and 2nd edition tiles.

CRasterImage
12-09-2009, 08:52
That image was 1024x1024. Pretty much as large as it is safe to get.

AndrewGPaul
12-09-2009, 09:11
OK ... 128 pixels per 3cm square, green border 43 pixels, to make the whole image a multiple of 128 pixels across. White space 64 pixels from the square's edge on the sides with a join, yes?

If that's the case, why is that new tile 1024x1024, not 896x1024? Why does it have extra white space on the sides with no join?

CRasterImage
12-09-2009, 09:20
There is wasted space on the sides of that tile because I started out making a 4 door room. Then I looked at the original artwork again and realised it was a 2 door room. I got rid of the doors, but forgot to trim the fat. oops

AndrewGPaul
12-09-2009, 09:31
Ah, OK. I was trying to figure out the 'rules', and that one was different, hence my confusion. :)

I'm in the process of creating .pngs of the 1st edition tiles. Once I resize them, I just paste them over one of your scans of a same-sized piece, and let the existing alpha channel take care of masking off the 'excess'. I'll see how well it works later ...

stormtrooper154
12-09-2009, 16:30
Ive got as far as opening the rooms set file, which cannot be opened on my pc due to unknown file type - any ideas how to resolve this?

AndrewGPaul
12-09-2009, 17:19
It's technically an XML file. Tell your PC to open it with Notepad (or the text editor of your choice).

I've got a half-done Space Hulk 1st edition tileset:

It's got all the tiles done. I need to tidy up the edges of some of the pictures, replace the various GUI images and backgrounds, and I could do with better symbols for doors and spawn points. I just used the simple shapes from the 1st edition Mission Book.

CRasterImage
12-09-2009, 19:01
Ha! That is so cool and brings back a lot of memories. You got a lot done in such a short amount of time.

CasperTheGhost
12-09-2009, 19:14
Very nice. I've only had a basic play around with it but it's brillant work. I don't think I would actually combine them with the Space Hulk Tiles (It would look a bit weird to me) but it's a great feature for things like Dark Heresy space ships or other things so thanks for the work.

Two things:

When you come to print does it just fit it on one sheet of A4?
How do you make the sections which contains the pictures of Hallways etc wider?

Also are there any other tilesets you have done, just as an intrest.

CRasterImage
12-09-2009, 19:25
When you come to print does it just fit it on one sheet of A4?

To be honest, I don't remember what the printing code does. I wrote that part a few years ago. But I think your guess is right. I suspect it just fits the map to the extents of the paper being printed on. I don't use that feature. I just use the program to generate jpegs and then insert them into proper word processors or graphics programs. From there I would either print or publish to pdf.

How do you make the sections which contains the pictures of Hallways etc wider?

In the program, you can stretch any tile. The edit menu has two commands that are useful for this "Scale Tile" and "Show Resize Handles". What is it that you are trying to do? There might be a better way.

Also are there any other tilesets you have done, just as an intrest.

I made a tileset for "Doom: The Boardgame". Someone made a tileset for the boardgame "Descent". There is an extensive group of tilesets for the resin terrain peices produced by the company Dwarven Forge. I am currently working with a guy on making a tileset for Hero Quest.

torn
12-09-2009, 20:38
is that regular hero quest or advanced hero quest? An advanced hero quest one with the suppliments included would be very nice indeed! regular hero quest would be ok but lets face it you dont have much options with the set board. You would have to have a way to darken out the unused squares.

CRasterImage
12-09-2009, 21:59
I think it is regular Hero Quest. I am not too familiar with either of them.

CRasterImage
14-09-2009, 00:39
Originally, I was going to release an add-on zip file, but I only have 2 things. So, instead, I will just show you how to add those two things manually.

The first is Hellheart's alternate Space Marine control tile.

To install it, download this file to your SpaceHulk3E folder:

Then open the Spawn.set file in notepad and add the following entry after the first entry:

<Tile name="Space Marine Controlled Area Alternate" sort="10" type="4">
SpaceHulk3E\terminator_controlled_area_alt.png
</Tile>
The second thing is a marker. It is useful for calling attention to a region of a map. Such as a room that needs to be flamed, or a spot a Marine must stand on. Example:

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1694147/marker_sample.jpg

It's natural size is 3x3, so if you want to mark a different size, you need to scale the tile.

In the example, the red marker was not scaled.
The green area was scaled (X = 1.0, Y = 0.33333333).
The cyan area was scaled (X = 0.33333333, Y = 0.33333333).

Also, like the arrows, it is grey by default. So you will need to color tint it 100%.

To install it, download this file into your SpaceHulk3E folder:
https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1694147/room_mark.png

Then open the Markers.set file and add the following entry to the end of the list:

<Tile name="Room Mark" sort="14" type="5">
SpaceHulk3E\room_mark.png
</Tile>

Then also add the entry to the Markers_2sets.set file.

fiore hellheart
14-09-2009, 01:00
Right, regarding the markers i was wondering why you chose 3X3 as it seems an akward size, surely a 4X4 would be esier due to working in 25% markups per square instead of 3.33333333333333333 ect.

Then again if you use the resize handle and snap to grid it should snap to each half square should it not?

CRasterImage
14-09-2009, 01:09
I went for a 3x3 area as the default because I figured that 90% of the time, people would use the marker for flagging a room.

Ya, typing 0.33333333333333333333333333333 is awkward and not as mathematically accurate as using the resize handles. Good point!

Charax
14-09-2009, 04:38
why not make the marker 1x1? people can always use 9 of them to flag a room if they need to (and you'd avoid all the "Why didn't you do X size?" questions)

Geep
14-09-2009, 05:39
This program looks really good- Thanks CrasterImage and Fiore Hellheart. If this isn't already pinned it definitely should be.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
15-09-2009, 12:59
This is an excellent program! Thank you!

Mods, this thread should be stickied!

timorth
20-09-2009, 07:08
Has anyone here actually played a game where they added the doom tiles for missions? Heck has anyone considered making up Sats for new Bio creatures or chaos spawn for the monsters from doom? Also Is there a plan to use the Doom material in the tileset creation system. I think this would be awesome . This all looks very cool can't wait to get home and try some of it out.

CRasterImage
20-09-2009, 08:10
Do the Doom tiles mate with the Space Hulk tiles?

I have both, but Doom is in the closet at the moment.

I like the idea of a Chaos-themed version of Space Hulk.

Lots of gribbly warp beasts howling down the corridors. Seeking the blood of the Emperor's finest. Only to have a bolter round splash thier brains against the wall.

The Doom figures would make perfect Chaos spawn.

Also, it would fit with the fluff. Space Hulks drift through the warp and re-enter real space hundreds of years later. It isn't too much of a stretch to think that some warp beings might be attracted to the idea of setting up camp in one.

CasperTheGhost
20-09-2009, 10:34
You could modify the Space Hulk rules to fit in quite a few races, but to do that you have to stick the the whole one side is shooty and one side is better in close combat. So demons would work, minus things like flamers, and really you could proberly throw in Orks and other things with a little work.

CRasterImage
20-09-2009, 10:41
Yes, the rank and file would need to stick to the "fast, close combat" archetypes in order to maintain the Space Hulkiness of the game. Though Chaos might give more boss options. With the Genestealers, we have the Broodlord. With Chaos, there could be greater deamons and even some kind sorcerer figure to give the Librarian a run for his money.

AndrewGPaul
20-09-2009, 15:21
The Doom tiles won't match the Space Hulk tiles; the Doom corridors are two spaces wide, and IIRC they're 25mm across.

timorth
20-09-2009, 19:25
Not really an issue if you are willing to imagine that the ship or chaos den or whatever is a little different or changes... I mean we are talking about a game that icorporates the warp anything is possible

AndrewGPaul
20-09-2009, 21:24
True, but you'd need to design a 'joining' piece. To me, there's too much of a jump in art style for it to look good. YYMV, though - I don't think even joining 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition pieces together looks, good, so you might not be as picky.

In any case, they simply don't fit. The jigsaw edges are the wrong way round and the wrong shape.

Also, within TileSet, there'd be grid-snapping issues. CRasterImage's Space Hulk tiles use 128-pixel squares, to snap to a 64-pixel grid. His Doom tiles use 64-pixel squares, again to snap to the grid. However, if they were incorporated into one tile set, the Space Hulk tiles would be 128 pixels and the Doom tiles 107 pixels (roughly) - they wouldn't align to the grid properly.

CRasterImage
21-09-2009, 09:34
I've got a half-done Space Hulk 1st edition tileset:

How is that going? How many pixels per grid did you pick?

Also, I like the light colored background color. I think it works for 1st edition. However, the grid is a bit strong. Maybe instead of black, it should be a shade of grey?

AndrewGPaul
21-09-2009, 10:00
I've not done any work to it since that post - been too busy/lazy.

IIRC, the grid is a shade of grey, but I could be wrong. I set the grid to 64 pixels, to match the snap-to distance.

On the to-do list;
* tidy up the tiles, especially the edges. I simply lined up the images with the alpha channel on your tiles - the border is a bit uneven.

* better icons for entry points and doors

* new GUI icons

* better colour choices for the grid/background. I'm leaning towards having no grid in published images.

nedius
21-09-2009, 18:57
Aw, I liked the grid!

Are you planning on doing something to represent blips, stealers or marines? Something we could use to do battle reports or something?

AndrewGPaul
21-09-2009, 19:03
I might make the grid white on light/mid grey.

As for blips, Terminators, etc, the 2nd edition rules have little icons for 'stealers, Marines and Marines with flamers, and I've got scans of blip tokens from 1st, 2nd and 3rd ed.

CRasterImage
21-09-2009, 19:26
As for blips, Terminators, etc, the 2nd edition rules have little icons for 'stealers, Marines and Marines with flamers, and I've got scans of blip tokens from 1st, 2nd and 3rd ed.

If they are the figures I am thinking of, I may have some already in 32bit .png format. I will look for them tonight when I get home.

CRasterImage
22-09-2009, 01:41
Were these the kinds of images you meant?
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/457/termbasbpf.png
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1976/genestealer.png

Znail
22-09-2009, 02:24
Stealers, Terminators and blips would be realy cool for making reports! I could see turn by turn pictures being made. I guess we need a few special Terminartors for the diffrent loadouts. Maybe even make new individual ones matching the actual models! Anyone artistic around? :angel:

CRasterImage
22-09-2009, 04:34
For 1st and 2nd edtion, these cartoonish figures are covered. Every weapon type. (The works of someone who's name escapes me)

For 3rd edition, someone with a good camera and even, diffuse lighting could take pics of the figures from directly above. I could do the resizing and erase the background.

How about that "photographer" guy? His minis look really nice and, theoretically, he has camera skillz.

AndrewGPaul
22-09-2009, 07:12
Yup, those are the ones I was thinking of.. Are they just on your computer, or are they on the web? I coulld even do different coloured versions, for those nitpicky about the Chapter they represent. :) for 2nd edition, the only extra you need is ones in Space Wolf grey with a chain fist and/or an assault cannon.

They'd maybe look better if the 'base' was about 50% transparent.

Technically, I think they only cover 2nd edition, as 1st edition had all the same weapons as 3rd.

CRasterImage
22-09-2009, 07:29
They were on my hard drive, but now they are on dropbox:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1694147/figures.zip

I wish I could remember the name of the guy who made them. But it was a few years ago.

The base circles under the figures are 120 pixels in diameter. Which works well if your grid system is still 128x128.

The images themselves are strangely large at 360x360. I suspect his grid was also 128x128 and he needed more room for protruding power swords and assault cannon barrels. But he didn't have half grid precision.

Since we do, they could probably have their canvases resized down to 192 x 192.
Which would trim away a lot of fat. (empty pixels)

AndrewGPaul
22-09-2009, 10:36
Oooh, groovy
Assault cannon and power fist
Storm bolter and cyclone missile launcher
Heavy flamer and power fist
Lightning claws
Storm bolter and chain fist
Storm bolter and power fist
Storm bolter and power sword (sergeant)
Thunder hammer and storm shield
Librarian with storm bolter and force axe.

Just needs chain fist versions of the heavy weapon guys and it's got all the possibilities. Then do them in blue and grey (and change that yellow to a better colour for Deathwing!). Oh, and a Broodlord. :) Perhaps just increase the size of a 'stealer?

I wonder if there are similar icons for power-armoured Marines and 'stealer hybrids around? That could cover everything.

grg3d
24-09-2009, 12:31
@ AndrewGPaul

I keep trying to get the air ducts loaded into the program following the instructions on the first page and when I do this the whole program stops working :evilgrin:

What am I doing wrong?

I was wondering if you planed to update the regular down load for stupid people like me with all the add ons you are coming up with?

As some of us (just me) can't seem to insert the new info into the program.

Great stuff, and good job creating the program!

Why isn't this stickied?

AndrewGPaul
24-09-2009, 15:34
Don't ask me; it's CRasterImage's program, not mine. :)

Personally, I'd make sure there's no typos in the SpaceHulk3E\SpaceHulk3E.set file. Also, if you opened it in Notepad, make sure the file extension is still the same - Notepad likes to make everything a .txt file, so it might have saved the file as SpaceHulk3E.set.txt

grg3d
24-09-2009, 16:34
Oh sorry AndrewGPaul thought it was yours
So.....

CRasterImage can you tell me what I'm doing wrong(see post above) or will you help the feeble minded an update the original program?

Please :cries:

CRasterImage
24-09-2009, 16:46
When you say "the whole program stops working" can you give more details?

Is it not launching?
Is it launching, but missing stuff?
Is it hanging or crashing?

grg3d
24-09-2009, 17:36
Hi When I try to put in the airducts into Space Hulk 3E Tileset I can see the tiles along with all the other tiles

When I open the notepad and paste in the line it asks me if I want to save the changes so I say yes.

so now I run the program(says file dose not exist(air ducts) and the drop down boxes are silver instead of green and nothing works.

I follow the directions on the first page that you supplied step by step

love the program and its not a real big deal if I cannot have air ducts but it would be nice if I could load up all the goodies you guys have been working on. I have not tried loading up the new rooms yet.

Also been waiting for the figure upload hopefully I can upload them when it comes out.

I had to also down load the DLL to make it all work.

any help is greatly appreciated

CRasterImage
24-09-2009, 17:54
I sent you a msg. We can continue this there so we don't bug others.

CRasterImage
25-09-2009, 18:02
FYI, he got it working.
He deleted it all and re-downloaded it and now it works.
Some file, somewhere, must have gotten out of whack.

If others are having problems, you can take this as a lesson. Sometimes it pays to just start from scratch.

Znail
26-09-2009, 01:19
CRasterImage, will you fix up those Terminators so we can use them? Even if photoshopping some new ones might look even better so do I think these ones are pretty ok. I guess the background needs fixing or do they mostly work as is?

Will you add the ones our friend on BGG made?

These are just question, no need to feel presured, just wondering.

CRasterImage
26-09-2009, 04:10
The BGG guy made figure images? Do you have a link to it?

I think we would need figure art made from top-down photos of a well-painted set of figures. By someone with a good digital camera, tripod and a setup that provides even lighting from all angles. Are there any volunteers?

grissom2006
26-09-2009, 13:03
RC any plans on adding in the PDF sections from the other thread in as well that your running??

Znail
26-09-2009, 13:45
The BGG guy made figure images? Do you have a link to it?
Nah, that wasnt what I ment.

RC any plans on adding in the PDF sections from the other thread in as well that your running??

This is what I was asking. I guess I was a bit unclear there.

CRasterImage
26-09-2009, 18:43
Ya, I will make a download for TileSystem out of his stuff this weekend.

RedSarge
27-09-2009, 06:35
All we need now is Tyranid tiles that don't look like the way out-dated "Tyranid Attack" ones.
Those old tiles have too much bright green, red and purple for my tastes. :p

AndrewGPaul
27-09-2009, 10:18
If you're feeling brave, google "endoscopy images" and overlay a square grid. :)

Patriarch
27-09-2009, 12:57
Brilliant work gents!

I've had a bash at the original classic "Break In" mission to try out the software.

I had to amend the map slightly as the original giant room in the middle of the map is not provided in the 3rd ed box, but isn't particularly vital.

Obviously there are no (official) hybrids in 3rd ed, but they were all non-psykers in the original mission so not unbalanced.

There are lots of straight corridors in this mission; with sustained fire now allowed in overwatch this may become very difficult for the stealers...some tweaks may be necessary (2 blips/turn?).

AndrewGPaul, you are a sick man! :evilgrin:

Znail
27-09-2009, 14:59
Brilliant work gents!

I've had a bash at the original classic "Break In" mission to try out the software.

I had to amend the map slightly as the original giant room in the middle of the map is not provided in the 3rd ed box, but isn't particularly vital.

Obviously there are no (official) hybrids in 3rd ed, but they were all non-psykers in the original mission so not unbalanced.

There are lots of straight corridors in this mission; with sustained fire now allowed in overwatch this may become very difficult for the stealers...some tweaks may be necessary (2 blips/turn?).

AndrewGPaul, you are a sick man! :evilgrin:

The long corridors makes this mission very easy for the marines with the current overwatch. Also remember that not having Hybrids has a huge impact as they could shoot back in those corridors. I dont think two blips a turn would change this that much, but that would atleast be worth a try.

CRasterImage
29-09-2009, 01:19
I know I told you guys that I would have the expansions done last weekend. But they are taking longer than I expected. Much longer than the original tiles did. Because each room is almost uniquely shaped. So I can't do as much copy and paste with the edges as I did before.

So far, I have finished the tiles from Duty and Honor and Bringer of Sorrow. Also, the 3 square wide hallway bits from Deathwing and Genestealer.

All I have left are the tiles from Wolf Lair and Strike Deep.

I am making 2 versions. One that is regular and one that has glowing edges.

Here is a shot of all the latest tiles, plus a handful of regular ones. All done with glowing edges.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2008/expansionssample.jpg

Hopefully, it should only take a day or so to finish.

CRasterImage
29-09-2009, 08:14
Ok, expansion pack done. I know I said it would take a few days and then it only took a few hours. I also know I said it would be done by Sunday, but it took longer. It seems that whatever I say, the opposite happens. So, for the record, I don't want to win the lottery.

Check out the end of the root post for links and info.

AndrewGPaul
29-09-2009, 08:45
Excellent!

It might have been easier on your part to simply wait until the guy at BGG had done all the tiles, then import them in one go, though.

grg3d
29-09-2009, 12:03
Nice CRasterImage any thoughts on adding blips, marine markers, flame templates,or any other markers? :angel:

Thanks again for a wonderful program

AndrewGPaul
29-09-2009, 13:29
Blips are easy enough. I could maybe get images of those. As for minis, he's already asked if someone's willing to photo the Marines (and presumably 'stealers) to use as markers.

grg3d
29-09-2009, 14:08
Ok I didn't know, I could do the steelers (painted last edition color Blue caprese, purple skin, yellow / green claws) but the marines that came with 3rd edition I traded away.

I'm using regular Termies(assault and tactical) and I'm using magnets with the arms so I can change them out to suite my needs, plus their not painted yet (Imperial Fist is my Sm army choice(Yellow) might not suite every ones taste. still waiting for my FW shoulder pads to come in

All I need to know is what setting on the camera you would require? and or what angle you want it from(overhead birds eye view) White background or other.

Let me know

CRasterImage
29-09-2009, 15:22
Thanks for the offer grg3d. I have a guy who said he would do it. If it doesn't work out, I will let you know.

grg3d
06-10-2009, 11:52
Hi sory to ask (bump)
any word on adding stealers or marines to the program?

CRasterImage
06-10-2009, 17:27
Ya, the guy has finished painting his Marines and is starting on his Genestealers.
Here is a sample of his work:
http://images.boardgamegeek.com/images/pic554947_lg.jpg

Znail
06-10-2009, 22:57
Crisp and clear colours, looks very suitable for this! :cool:

nedius
07-10-2009, 09:54
Something a bit odd has happened with my copy of this.

The back ground grid has gone from thin, faint, dark green lines, to thick, strong brilliant green lines.

Any idea why?

CRasterImage
07-10-2009, 10:18
Sounds like you are in software rendering mode. Re-enable OpenGL.

nedius
07-10-2009, 13:28
Ok, will give it a try!

Edit:

Gave it a try, and it worked out fine! Thanks!

Apologist
09-10-2009, 10:46
Just wanted to post my thanks for this – I've just finished a Deathwing campaign pack based on the short story, and this program made making the maps a joy!

Now to start sourcing artwork for the Ultramarines' defence of Macragge... :)

CRasterImage
09-10-2009, 11:05
Thanks!

The defense of Macragge sounds interesting. What exactly are you envisioning?

- Deathwing -
14-10-2009, 08:50
Just wanted to post my thanks for this – I've just finished a Deathwing campaign pack based on the short story, and this program made making the maps a joy!

Now to start sourcing artwork for the Ultramarines' defence of Macragge... :)

Deathwing campaign sounds interesting. Are you going to post the campaign here (*please*)?

@CRasterImage:

You've done a great job. Sadly, I wasn't able to follow the whole development of the tiles set. I downloaded one of the first versions, but now there are a lot more tiles.

Are you planning to make multiple Download-sets? i.e.

1. Set: Normal 3rd edition Space Hulk tiles
2. Set: Normal 3rd edition Space Hulk tiles + custom tiles and/or tiles from older versions
3. Set: 3rd edition Space Hulk tiles X2 ( for those who bought more than one SH Box )
4. Set: 3rd edition Space Hulk tiles X2 + custom tiles and/or tiles from older versions

That would be really great, because it would be a lot more comfortable. ( + I'm really a dumbass when having to change something In files, although it is discribed very well )

Apologist
14-10-2009, 10:37
Deathwing campaign sounds interesting. Are you going to post the campaign here (*please*)?
I'm afraid that I can't post it publicly, as it's full of copyrighted images. :(
However, I am working on getting the artwork replaced, so keep an eye out. :)

The defense of Macragge sounds interesting. What exactly are you envisioning?
Much like the Deathwing campaign, it'll be a series of linked missions led by a custom force of Ultramarines. There won't be any new rules per se; just an adaptation of Space Hulk, presented in a good-looking way. :)

CRasterImage
14-10-2009, 20:00
Are you planning to make multiple Download-sets?

Perhaps. It can get a bit more complicated than that.

There are several independent factors:

- With or without expansion tiles.
- With or without 2 sets.
- With or without glowing jigsaw edges.
- With or without airducts.

Those 4 options result in 16 variations.

If I can think of a simple way to do this, then I am all for it.

I could just put everything (including the MFC dlls) into a single gigantic download and then supply 16 different tileset files to pick from.

Where the filename could indicate the version you want.

For example

SpaceHulk3E_exp_air_2x_glow.set

would indicate that you want the expansion tiles, the airduct tiles, the 2 set configuration, all with glowing edges.

SpaceHulk3E_exp_2x.set

would indicate that you DO want the expansion tiles, DONT want the airduct tiles, DO want the 2 set configuration, and DONT want glowing edges.

SpaceHulk3E_.set

would indicate the bare-bones set and DONT want glowing edges.

I will have to think about it some more.

Znail
14-10-2009, 20:11
That sounds pretty doable. Idealy so would it be nice to be able to do the selection inside the program, but that would add extra work. Maybe an external setup program with the diffrent options that then generate the correct set file. Either way so do I think its important that any extra work like that is made when you are pretty sure there wont be much added in the form of custom tiles.

nedius
14-10-2009, 21:07
personally, I'd stick to two sets - one with glowing edges, one without, both for single set missions. It's easy to work to two sets from one - just keep adding bits until the circle appears - as long as you don't re-select a circle bit, you're good for two sets.

As for expansion tiles and air ducts, add them in. If someone doesn't want them, then just don't use them.

Easy enough for anyone to manage, lods less work and hasstle for you.

- Deathwing -
15-10-2009, 05:08
I'm afraid that I can't post it publicly, as it's full of copyrighted images. :(
However, I am working on getting the artwork replaced, so keep an eye out. :)

I will, be sure of that. :)

Much like the Deathwing campaign, it'll be a series of linked missions led by a custom force of Ultramarines. There won't be any new rules per se; just an adaptation of Space Hulk, presented in a good-looking way. :)

Wasn't one of the final battles in the catacombs of Macragge? That would be a nice setting, I think.

Perhaps. It can get a bit more complicated than that.

There are several independent factors:

- With or without expansion tiles.
- With or without 2 sets.
- With or without glowing jigsaw edges.
- With or without airducts.

Those 4 options result in 16 variations.

If I can think of a simple way to do this, then I am all for it.

Wow, didn't think of that.

Actually I think everone could live with glowing edges. The airducts could be added. As nedius said, if you don't want them, don't use them.

Same would be for other expansion tiles. I don't know how much work that would be, but when starting the program, on the left side there are the different things to choose ( rooms, markers, and so on ). What about adding some points to that ( i.e. SH 1st Edition tiles, custom addons ).

Anyway, I think it would be really great if you would do multiple downloads.

I don't know if anyone thought about it, but what about the board sections of Space Crusade? Could they be used as vast rooms or maybe even as they are ( some rooms with corridors )? Okay, the squares are smaller, but I guess when taking 4 squares of a SC board it should be about the size of one SH square.

AndrewGPaul
15-10-2009, 07:59
No, Space Crusade board squares are 25mm, not 15. :)

They won't work together, due to the way TileSet snaps pieces to the grid. By default, the Space Hulk tiles are 30mm, 128 pixels to a square. They align to a grid 64 pixels wide. At the same resolution, the Space Crusade tiles would be 107 pixels to a square, and thus wouldn't align.

I suppose you could make them 'free-floating', and do it that way, but it would be rather annoying. You'd also need to make up some sort of joining pice to connect the Space Hulk and Space Crusade boards.

Znail
15-10-2009, 09:54
You could manage to use Space Crusade boards by rescaling and changing the connection to fit with Space Hulk. This would obviously need to be done for the real boards as well as for the program. If anyone is up for it so doesnt it sound like such a bad idea :)

Apologist
15-10-2009, 10:18
A reskin of the Advanced Space Crusade boards would be a good addition – they're already compatible with the Space Hulk sections.

Of course, it's a lot of work for little reward beyond not having to look at the headache-inducing colours of the originals! :D

Teufelskerl
15-10-2009, 23:03
A reskin of the Advanced Space Crusade boards would be a good addition – they're already compatible with the Space Hulk sections.

Seconded!

Frederich

nedius
16-10-2009, 21:05
there are soem great textures out there you could use...

But... Do you just put a grid over it, or make some kind of chitin plate for each 'square'?

CRasterImage
22-10-2009, 09:18
I thought I would make an update to let you guys know what I am doing at the moment.

I have added a piece of functionality to the program that allows a single tile to be composed of a series of images, rather than just one image. Images can be drawn behind the main image as well as in front.

Also, there can be controls that can trigger whether or not an image is drawn or not.

One such trigger is an entry in a global flags table.
Using this feature, i was able to combine the "regular" map tiles with the "glowing edges" tiles. So now, there is just a single tileset instead of two. The player can control whether or not the glowing edges are shown by altering the global flag table. Which, currently, just has the one entry:

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9043/globalz.png

Another trigger is a flags table local to the tile. Allowing the tile to have states. I have been going through and adding "flamed section" states to each map tile. You can access the local flags table with the right mouse button: (assuming you just click, rather than drag to rotate the tile)

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/161/localv.png

The local flags table could also be used, for space marines, to depict states like overwatch, jammed and out of ammo.

Another trigger is whether or not the tile is selected. Using this trigger, I was able to show selection on the space marine and blip with a green halo effect I have been playing with, rather than the ususal brightening effect:

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/8669/select.png

Also, when I release this next, I hope to have space marine and genestealer figures for us to play with. In either case, Everything will be bundled in a single zip file for download. No more bits and pieces. If you don't want to use the airducts or expansion bits, there is a special tileset file called "SpaceHulk3E_basic.set". It doesn't load those extra bits. So it is useful for most people who just play with the stuff that came out of the box. Also, it loads twice as fast.

AndrewGPaul
22-10-2009, 10:48
Is there a way to have the colour of the glow effect editable?

In addition, could you add another per-section flag - 'tint' or similar. I'm thinking of the Doom tileset, and how each area of the map has it's own tint. This way, you could have that tint as a separate local flag, rather than having to adjust the colour levels of each tile manually.

Apologist
22-10-2009, 10:59
Fantastic and well-executed additions, CRI – this'll let people post up turn-by-turn battle reports. :)

A hearty thanks from the PCRC and myself for this fantastic program!

Znail
22-10-2009, 11:04
We could even do play by mail/forum games :)

nedius
22-10-2009, 11:55
Excellent stuff! Top notch work!

Apologist
22-10-2009, 13:00
We could even do play by mail/forum games :)

Hey, that'd be awesome – particularly with a third party for dice rolls, so you can just concentrate on what's happening!

CasperTheGhost
22-10-2009, 13:38
Hmm I would be happy to run that maybe... Using the missons from the book maybe? How many marines per person?

Znail
22-10-2009, 17:19
Hey, that'd be awesome – particularly with a third party for dice rolls, so you can just concentrate on what's happening!

Yupp, a moderator can keep track of everything and inform the relevant players of secrets like blips and command point draws. The status file/picture can probobly be updated by anyone involved. Only problem is that any game is likely to produce quite alot of pictures. Is it fine to something like that around here? [edit]Board Game Geek has a forum part for play by forum games in their Space Hulk section incase this forum is less happy about picture heavy threads.

Hmm I would be happy to run that maybe... Using the missons from the book maybe? How many marines per person? Hmm, more people is probobly more fun but it makes for more people that needs to check in for the game to progress. Althou some experience from other forum games so can you leave conditional orders for your turn to speed things up if you are away. On the other hand so are the marines turn simultaneous or atleast up to the marines wich ones go first so everyone can just post what they do at the same time. Just need to clarify if you want your turn before or after someone else incase a marine needs to move out of the way first. The order of marine activation simply needs to be clear so it can even be decided by one of the players.

Well, when I think about it so does it seem pretty doable to just pick a time during the day when marine orders are executed and players need to have posted what they want to do before that with any conditional orders for what may happen. Then marines can coordinate and edit their orders until that time.

After that so will the mod execute the marines turn and roll any dice needed.

Then its the genestealers turn and this gets a bit trickier. The genestealer player is very dependant on overwatch results so either needs to use complext conditional orders or vigilant updates on the forum while the mod rolls the dice. I guess its possible to use a team for the genestealers too, but its probobly better to keep it simple so that the genestealer turn is done asap. It shouldnt be too difficult to clear the genestealer turn away in time so that there is time enuff for the marines.

Hmm, 1 turn a day sounds like pretty quick games by forum standards. Can probobly be done quicker if there are less people involved too. But its easier when more people is involved to have clear rules for how often they need to check in.

Oh, command points is tricky! Both during the marines turn and as interupt. I guess someone will be in charge of them :)

CasperTheGhost
22-10-2009, 17:42
Picture count could be controlled by something as simple as editing the maps as you go along do that each update means the map has changed with all the relevant movements, although that won't allow people to look back into what has happenend.

As for genestealers I would assume that it would be best if they were controlled by the same person rolling the dice i.e. the GM of the game. Otherwise it wouldn't really work over the internet. Of course that would mean having to count on the GM being trustworthy but thats not much of an issue.

Command Points are the tricky one though...

Teufelskerl
22-10-2009, 17:59
CRaster, this sounds great, I'm looking forward to your next release! Many thanks for your hard work, I wish there was something I could do to show appreciation.

Frederich

CRasterImage
22-10-2009, 19:00
Is there a way to have the colour of the glow effect editable?

The glow effect is actually just an overlaid image, so it can be changed if you change the image. What were you imagining? Different colors for sides? Red for genestealer, blue for Space Marines?

In addition, could you add another per-section flag - 'tint' or similar. I'm thinking of the Doom tileset, and how each area of the map has it's own tint. This way, you could have that tint as a separate local flag, rather than having to adjust the colour levels of each tile manually.

Ok, so the idea here is that there would be a series of pre-defined sections. Each with a predetermined color. Like "Section A" = color 250,0,0,128. Then the user would enable the "Section A" flag on all the selected tiles, making them red. Sounds do-able. Can you describe the problem you are trying to solve? Lets see if we can get a better fit.

CRasterImage
22-10-2009, 19:09
Only problem is that any game is likely to produce quite alot of pictures.

Would it be better if the actual TS file data could be posted, instead of pictures? It would give 100% fidelity at a 1000'th of the file size.

Thing is, people wouldn't be able to see the image unless they loaded the TS file. Something that happens outside the browser. Not ideal...

Also, some questions:

How would you handle a turn that required interaction and data resolution?
Shooting at doors, Genestealers and revealing blips are all things that can effect how you spend the rest of your turn. But you can't execute the rest of your turn until those events are resolved first.

AndrewGPaul
22-10-2009, 19:12
Ok, so the idea here is that there would be a series of pre-defined sections. Each with a predetermined color. Like "Section A" = color 250,0,0,128. Then the user would enable the "Section A" flag on all the selected tiles, making them red. Sounds do-able. Can you describe the problem you are trying to solve? Lets see if we can get a better fit.

Fire up your Doom tileset. Each area on the map has a different tint - Area 1 is tinted grey, area 2 is tintet pink, etc. In the version on your website, you've achieved that by fiddling with the colour channel settings for each area individually. What I was thinking of is being able to set those tints as flags, instead, like you describe.

It's not an issue for Space Hulk, but it would be useful for Doom or Descent maps, if someone were to do one.

How would you handle a turn that required interaction and data resolution?
Shooting at doors, Genestealers and revealing blips are all things that can effect how you spend the rest of your turn. But you can't execute the rest of your turn until those events are resolved first.

There are, IIRC, dice-rolling simulators for chat programs you could use.

Alternatively, each player can just have to trust that his opponent is rolling the dice correctly.

CRasterImage
22-10-2009, 19:13
Thanks Apologist, nedius and Teufelskerl!

CRasterImage
22-10-2009, 19:36
Fire up your Doom tileset. Each area on the map has a different tint - Area 1 is tinted grey, area 2 is tintet pink, etc. In the version on your website, you've achieved that by fiddling with the colour channel settings for each area individually. What I was thinking of is being able to set those tints as flags, instead, like you describe.

It's not an issue for Space Hulk, but it would be useful for Doom or Descent maps, if someone were to do one.

What I usually do in those cases is: Select all the tiles I wish to tint at once (by dragging a select rectangle and using the SHIFT key to add/remove tiles from the selection) and then set the color once for all tiles. Rather than set the color on each tile individually.

Which would also work for the tile flag scenario. Even faster, since it would be one-click, rather than fiddle with color dialog knobs.

Which part of the operation was the most fiddly? Trying to get the color just right? Or applying the color to tiles repeatedly? Or trying to select the proper tiles in a single selection?

AndrewGPaul
22-10-2009, 20:08
To be fair, I last fiddled with the Doom set before I realised you could select multiple objects.

Having said that, making the tint a flag means you can change the tint colour on multiple, separated, objects. Say, Terminator entry and exit corridors at opposite ends of the maps.

It's not that I have a concrete application for this idea, it's more that, if it's not too difficult to add, I'm sure someone will think of a use for it eventually. :)

CRasterImage
22-10-2009, 20:47
Ya, there is a good idea in there, either involving color or involving category. Need to keep thinking.

tcraigen
22-10-2009, 22:42
very cool work being done here guys good on you for your commitment to advancing the game

Pirate Metal Troy
24-10-2009, 06:07
I may just be blind, but did you ever release the space marine/genestealer/blip sprites?

I've been looking, but haven't seen any info.

CRasterImage
24-10-2009, 07:30
No, I haven't released them yet. I haven't finished them. I just did the one marine as an experiment. I am hoping to get some marine and genestealer images from this guy in the near future:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224175

CRasterImage
25-10-2009, 00:07
I want to discuss the new "path" feature. Show you what I have so far and take ideas.

A path shows a figure's actions. They are recorded and depicted with a series of arrows. Showing both movement and rotation.

When a figure is selected, it's path is bright like this: (all three are selected, illogicly)
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/1329/selected.png

When a figure is not selected, it looks like this:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/8501/unselecteda.png

Also, there are states on a marine: overwatch, jammed and gaurd.

Here is what the marine looks like with the different states enabled:
Note that when marines stand next to each other, their states and elbows will overlap.
I don't think it is too big a problem. Everyone, and their state, are clear.
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/286/stateso.png

Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas?

ecurtz
25-10-2009, 02:07
Marines armed with Heavy Flamers can't go on overwatch. ;)

It seems great for showing one specific model's movement, but it might turn into an unreadable mess if you were trying to diagram a turn from an actual game. At least in my experience, you're likely to have a bunch of genestealers following the same path and on interesting turns that's going to overlap the marines as well. I assume I can just use the start and end markers, which is probably what I'd do, the movement is usually obvious.

Tags for "CP" and "dakka-dakka" would be nice additions to this if you're taking feature requests.

Znail
25-10-2009, 05:18
Marines armed with Heavy Flamers can't go on overwatch. ;)

It seems great for showing one specific model's movement, but it might turn into an unreadable mess if you were trying to diagram a turn from an actual game. At least in my experience, you're likely to have a bunch of genestealers following the same path and on interesting turns that's going to overlap the marines as well. I assume I can just use the start and end markers, which is probably what I'd do, the movement is usually obvious.

Tags for "CP" and "dakka-dakka" would be nice additions to this if you're taking feature requests.

I dont think that you can make a logical picture of an entire turns events, apart from the first turn or so. As you say so will alot of paths overlap and genestealers will most likely have died in various spots. But you should be able to show the movement of the marines at once and possibly blips. Revealed genestealers are what mess things up. But this isnt realy a fault in the FX as there isnt any easy way around this problem.

Hmm, I think the best way to handle genestealers if you want to sum up a turn would be to have some small/translucent image that you use to show where you placed them when they were revealed and one for killed genestealers. The only ones that actualy need real models and possibly walking paths shown would be the ones who survived the turn.

Genestealers are also so manuverable that you realy only need to record wich squares they passed and you can ignore the detailed order bit. Maybe some blood drops or bloody footprints and a splatter would do nicely for lost genestealers.

Things are looking realy nice btw! I think we will have a hit here when the icons are done and ready for play and reports!

CRasterImage
25-10-2009, 06:16
What if instead of breaking things up into "Genestealers turn", "Space Marines turn", repeat; It were broken into "SM Figure A go", "SM Figure B go", etc....

Trying to sum up an entire turn in a single go seems to have problems. Not only is it hard to visualize, but there are times that control needs to pass to the other side. Opening doors, or going around corners, can lead to blip conversions for the GS player to resolve. And, of course, the SM player needs to be able to interrupt the GS player's turn to spend CP.

Znail
25-10-2009, 06:54
Ah, if you break things up then its no problem, but then there is the problem with lots of images. Hmm, maybe a function that lets you select to make an image of a set part of the map? That way so could you pretty easily show a single models movement without taking up too much bandwidth. Then use fullsized images for end of turn status.

- Deathwing -
25-10-2009, 07:23
Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas?

Just a comment: This is brilliant!

If I got it right, all this is for creating Battle Reports, right?

For a Battle Report, you'll need the table where command Points and ammunition is pictured, right? Could this "tile" be included in the Tileset? After building the map, this tile could be put next to the map. Two Markers could be moved on that tile to show Command Points and Ammunition. Just a thought.

AndrewGPaul
25-10-2009, 10:58
1) You need diagonal movement arrows - in that first diagram, all the models could have moved diagonally round the corners.

2) add an 'explosion' marker so you can represent fire actions in that path.

3) Don't worry too much about possible clutter - Leave it up to users to work with it. If it's for a PBeM game, they'd need to properly send one image per AP spent by almost every model in any case.

4) rotate those state circles by 45 degrees so the text is in line with the square sides. Looking at the diagram with 3 adjacent marines, if the jammed one is at the bottom of the selected stack (instead of in the middle as in the image), you won't be able to read the text at all.

5) You could replace the 'start' outline with a simple dot, to reduce clutter.

fiore hellheart
25-10-2009, 17:19
Is it not possible for somebody to do a vassal 40k style program with this? Im sure it wouldnt be hard. And gamesworkshop shouldnt mind as they do not sell this product anymore so it would not detract sales.

CRasterImage
26-10-2009, 06:46
@AndrewGPaul: I might try the simple dot, or circle, to flag the starting position.

@Hellheart: ya, with a bit of work, TileSystem could be turned into a game board application.

fiore hellheart
31-10-2009, 16:18
Any more progress Craster? i'm really eagerly awating the next release with the model markers. :D

CRasterImage
01-11-2009, 04:35
The guy who pained the minis is going to take some pics this weekend. Then I will be able to make figure tiles out of them.

fiore hellheart
01-11-2009, 12:35
Ahhh, cool thats awsome. cant wait.

grg3d
19-11-2009, 11:24
Hi, any updated files yet? as I love this program
Thanks G

CRasterImage
22-11-2009, 07:41
Nothing new yet. Waiting for the top-down images. He tried to send them to me last week, but his email bounced back to him. Attachment was too large.

CRasterImage
29-11-2009, 01:31
I updated the root post with the latest version.
No real figure tiles to work with yet.

jamesmhebert
29-11-2009, 03:58
Thank you, CRasterImage!

And thank you for keeping the project going.

James

grg3d
29-11-2009, 20:49
Yes Thank you for this lovely program.

Q: will their be more Space marines added as I only have the heavy flamer, or did I do somthing wrong?

Q2; Brood lord?

CRasterImage
30-11-2009, 05:36
Thanks guys!

There might be more. It depends on whether or not I get the images from the painter. Originally, I was going to hold up the release until I had them. But it has been so long that I decided to release it anyway.

Ya, if I ever get images, I assume that there will be a brood lord.

BTW, note that if you right-click the mouse on the Terminator, you get a list of states. You can check them on or off.

Also, you can right-click on a map tile and see that there is a state available on it as well.

grg3d
30-11-2009, 07:02
CRasterImage your my hero please keep up the great work