PDA

View Full Version : Space hulk as deathwing?

Vote Kantor
02-09-2009, 11:25
I will be getting space hulk on saturday, and as this contains two armies i do not play, i am hoping to make them into workable lists ASAP.

My plan with the Nidz is to use a broodlord and two squads, but with the terminators i am planning to use the Deathwing list temporarily until i can make a proper marine list. Is this a good idea? C&C please

EdFireborn
02-09-2009, 11:41
I was under the impression (i.e im not 110% sure) that the bases that come with space hulk aren't the correct bases for 40k, meaning you cant play with them....

Well, thats what GW wants us to think....

Most of us, will use both sets of models in normal games of 40k (cause they're just that good looking)

That above is simply to prevent other people saying you cant use them in games of 40k fullstop.

Now to answer your question... I imagine that both lists would make viable starting forces, however you may have a few problems with your deathwing army list (lack of models) Yet, these lists would be used in small games, so I'm sure they would do just fine...

GideonRavenor
02-09-2009, 11:48
It doesn't take an awful lot of effort to glue/pin/blu-tac/laser the models onto 40K bases...

I believe, if you were to use the lightning claw man as Belial, and converted some of the more overtly Blood Angels parts (although we will hunt you down if you do), you could have a viable Deathwing force.

Vote Kantor
02-09-2009, 11:57
Oh
Forgot to mention that it would be /Counts as/ Deathwing. This is just temporary until I can get two troops for the regular codex

pookie
02-09-2009, 12:01
they would work fine as a counts as.

1st sqd could contain: TH/SS - 3 Terminators with SB/Pf and a HF
2nd Sqd Could Contain: Tw LC - 3 Terminators as above and a AC
you could use the Sgt with SB/PS as Belial and the Libby as. well as Libby.

obviosuly you could switch out the Sgts for the 'Beliel' as he can have SB/PS, LC. or TH/SS Load out.

certainly works.

Pengie
02-09-2009, 22:59
1st sqd could contain: TH/SS - 3 Terminators with SB/Pf and a HF
2nd Sqd Could Contain: Tw LC - 3 Terminators as above and a AC
you could use the Sgt with SB/PS as Belial and the Libby as. well as Libby.

certainly works.

this will be how i use them, i really want to convert them into actual deatheing termies but the models are just so good i'm not sure il be able to deface them

HsojVvad
02-09-2009, 23:02
I was under the impression (i.e im not 110% sure) that the bases that come with space hulk aren't the correct bases for 40k, meaning you cant play with them....

Yes they are legal. Go back to the rule book and you will read something about the mini's need to be on the Original Base that it came with. Since the SH are the original bases it is 100% legal.

Ignideus
02-09-2009, 23:09
Well i think it would be a source of conflict since the SH bases are not even round ones but largely irregular

But as another pointed out, it would be really easy to put them on "legal" bases (for exemple with magnets, which allow to use them for both SH and W40K)

HsojVvad
02-09-2009, 23:17
AS GW says, RAW, so I am going by RAW. I can't see what the big deal if someone just wants to use SH bases and leave it as is, not that much a big of a deal.

Grimtuff
02-09-2009, 23:32
Yes they are legal. Go back to the rule book and you will read something about the mini's need to be on the Original Base that it came with. Since the SH are the original bases it is 100% legal.

It does not say anything of the sort in 5th ed. Only not to take the **** with base sizes (so no Grots on CD's). FWIW, by RAW the blu-tack option would not work as models have to be glued to their bases! :D

Yeah.... That is way in the realms of sillyness. ;)

Whitehorn
03-09-2009, 00:27

LOL.

So I can use my Inquisitor scale Space Marine on a 40mm base because it came with the model?

Space Hulk models are not produced for use in 40k, whether you intend to use them for it or not (I do!) and they don't come with bases (they're part of the model).

But well done for taking something completely out of context!

Otherwise, what GideonRavenor said :)

starlight
03-09-2009, 00:36
*sigh*

We have an entire Forum dedicated to Space Hulk...and they're already talking about this very subject...

Next time, try a little searching...

Znail
03-09-2009, 01:49
By RAW so are you supposed to use the base a model is supplied with, but that asumes that you are using a 40k model. In this case so are you planing to use a model from another miniature range, even if still GW, as a counts-as and the general rule of thumb is then to use the base that the normal 40k model is currently supplied with. Wich in this case means a round 40mm base. There is no problem attaching the SH minis to a 40mm base, infact the extra scenery bits will make the basing look better then most.

wolf40k
03-09-2009, 01:58
I have already bluetaced mine to 40mm bases and will replace with magnets in the future. You do need to update your bases, like putting your old 2nd and 3rd edition termies on the 40mm base instead of the 25mm base.

But that is only in a competitive setting. If your playing for fun who cares. Just remember not to permanently attach them to the base as the 40mm bases are to big for the space hulk board.

Souleater
03-09-2009, 08:27
Take wolf40k's advice.

Putting them on 'proper' bases means they won't fall over so much on the generally bumpier terrain of a 40K table. Less hassle for you and if you do paint them less risk of them getting chipped. (Though this is low with plastic.)

For cheap army expansion you might want to look at an AoBR set or two.

Gives you more termies and a Dread as well as a squad of Tacs.

I'm doing pretty much the same as you - I've just got a Dark Angel dex off ebay to start a Bloodwing army.

wolf40k
03-09-2009, 18:16
Take wolf40k's advice.

Putting them on 'proper' bases means they won't fall over so much on the generally bumpier terrain of a 40K table. Less hassle for you and if you do paint them less risk of them getting chipped. (Though this is low with plastic.)

For cheap army expansion you might want to look at an AoBR set or two.

Gives you more termies and a Dread as well as a squad of Tacs.

I'm doing pretty much the same as you - I've just got a Dark Angel dex off ebay to start a Bloodwing army.

I'm taking the first part of your message for my signature:p, and Bloodwings, I love it.:D

twistinthunder
03-09-2009, 18:43
It doesn't take an awful lot of effort to glue/pin/blu-tac/laser the models onto 40K bases...

I believe, if you were to use the lightning claw man as Belial, and converted some of the more overtly Blood Angels parts (although we will hunt you down if you do), you could have a viable Deathwing force.

belial wields a storm bolter and power sword so lorenzos better. so technically its already a viable deathwing force. (since DA can have CC weps in squads)

wolf40k
03-09-2009, 18:52
belial wields a storm bolter and power sword so lorenzos better. so technically its already a viable deathwing force. (since DA can have CC weps in squads)

Belail can also switch his Sword/Storm Bolter combo with Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield or Twin Lightning Claws. The only downside is that they are no longer master-crafted.