PDA

View Full Version : Stealers Limbs... are they 'armless?

carlospictor
02-09-2009, 15:26
So, Space Hulk arrived this morning and wow, is it a fantastic box of shiny goodness!!

My only question, and I don't know if it's me being dumb, but 4 of the stealers (those holding terminator helmets) only appear to have 5 limbs.

Is this deliberate or am I just being really blind?

Either way, I'm not too fussed as it really is a top quality game.

athamas
02-09-2009, 15:29
this is the only nid miniture i do not like.. and its for the reason you have noted..

they have cheated and you can see the arm doing under the body on the back, but its not on the front.. it should be across its chest/gut..

but you are correct, it does dissapear...

pookie
02-09-2009, 15:30
im fairly sure its just how they are posed, i only got a quick 5 mins to ogle my copy this Am and was more impressed by the Terminators, have you actually looked at the 'back' of the stealer?

carlospictor
02-09-2009, 15:33
im fairly sure its just how they are posed, i only got a quick 5 mins to ogle my copy this Am and was more impressed by the Terminators, have you actually looked at the 'back' of the stealer?

Yep, trimmed off the sprue, cleaned and ready for painting. These four are identical, two are 'mirrored' and on different bases (skulls instead of Termie armour) - but they are identical in every respect, and missing the fourth arm.

Either it's not been spotted, or they were so far down the line they had to go with what they had.

Like I say it's not big deal, but I needed to know I wasn't:

a) going mad
b) missing some spare arms on the frames

eriochrome
02-09-2009, 15:39
Yes, they are missing the arms. I noticed this when I played around with the set about 2 weeks ago. They just cheated or forgot to put them on. Consider them already battle hardened and ready for revenge.

Morlu
02-09-2009, 15:39
I had been wondering about this since I first saw pictures of them, I personally like to think of them as doubley hard stealers who have already lost an arm while taking out those whos heas they carry with them now!

Charax
02-09-2009, 15:40
isn't that spiky claw-like thing on the back of the right leg part of the "missing" arm? the other one doesn't have it so it can't be part of the legs themselves

carlospictor
02-09-2009, 15:41
Thanks for the feedback.

I can stop looking for arms in bits of sprue now!

I like the idea of them having been ripped off, a few subtle paint effects could help that look really neat (or, erm, messy...)

grimcrazy
02-09-2009, 15:46
Hybrids had three arms but they lost the claw arm.

must just be an oversight - that sucks

Morlu
02-09-2009, 15:53
can you imagine if it was an oversight?
1 - "congratulations guys we've just finished making all the sprues we will ever make"
2 - "weird this stealer only has 3 arms...ooh so does this one"
1 - "crap!"

pookie
03-09-2009, 14:41
well got chance to check last night, and they deffinatly do not have 4 complete arms, its almost as though its supposed to be 'tucked' underneath, as there is clearly the 4th arm socket and something has been sculpted in it, but they deff are not 4 armed.

twistinthunder
03-09-2009, 17:32
they couldnt fit the last arm but they modelled a hand clutching its right side

wolf40k
03-09-2009, 18:00
Mine actually had three models missing a single claw off of one hand, the fist one I thought that I had accidentally cut it off when clipping them out but then I found the other two still on the sprue, I can't exactly return a game that sold out before the official release day(Its not out for until the 5th officially) so I'll just treat them as battle damage, I guess I'll do the same with the amputees as well.

Vaaish
03-09-2009, 19:08
I had one stealer that had a claw broken off. I found the bit of plastic still in teh box but it was a pretty globby miscast. A bit of work with the xacto and I had new claw to glue in place.

Abaddonshand
03-09-2009, 20:45
For those of you with damaged pieces, give GW a call. I had a stealer with a broken claw, and one of my corridor sections had been torn on the underside by the sprue resting on top of it. I called GW and they said although the game was sold out, they had a reserve of spares for events such as this, and I should receive replacements within a week. Great customer service!

neXus6
03-09-2009, 22:05
On the arms that is just really confusing. I mean I didn't partcularly like the pose of those 2 (4) genestealers but I didn't realise they only had 3 arms.
It is very odd that the shoulder is sculpted but the arm is nowhere to be found.

I've also got a board piece that's taken a bit of damage, it's nothing major just a chunk missing out of the underside, but it is a little annoying in what is otherwise (except the missing arms) a perfect product.

I may have to give them a call, or email...would and email work for parts replacement I've never tried it before?

Chairman_woo
04-09-2009, 09:49
Ok maybe its just mine but the two stealers with a "missing" arm in my box also appear to be bad sculpts or casts in general. The detail on the back (spines etc) is noticably flatter and less detailed than the others. Every other stealer in the box is fine, just the 2 in question in this thread.

Anyone else noticed the same?

Vaaish
04-09-2009, 14:09
For those of you with damaged pieces, give GW a call. I had a stealer with a broken claw, and one of my corridor sections had been torn on the underside by the sprue resting on top of it.

I thought about doing that but decided against it because the damage was really quite minimal and probably occurred in shipping Had my repair not ended well I probably would have called.

Rirekon
04-09-2009, 14:13
The only 'stealers that "should" be missing arms are those in that weird sideways pose (as shown in the OPs image) - the lower arm on which would go where the torso is resting on it's thigh is missing and from what I've seen just hasn't been modeled for some reason.

Dezartfox
04-09-2009, 14:44
A lot of the pieces are moulded weirdly, and that's because they can't have any undercuts (they'd get stuck in the mould). Alot of the stealers (look at the broollords base) have these weird flat areas. The genestealer mentioned probably did originally have a fourth arm, but had to have it removed for moulding purposes :)

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/Models/IMG00952-20090903-2021.jpg

But as they're board pieces this doesnt really bother me, they're all still beautiful models.

Sleazy
04-09-2009, 21:07
For those of you with damaged pieces, give GW a call. I had a stealer with a broken claw, and one of my corridor sections had been torn on the underside by the sprue resting on top of it. I called GW and they said although the game was sold out, they had a reserve of spares for events such as this, and I should receive replacements within a week. Great customer service!

Yup, I had to call today as I had realised I dont have an egg timer in my set. Dude took my details and said he'd get it sorted.

Rabid Bunny 666
05-09-2009, 13:02
I found the missing arm for the one standing on a Terminator, its under the foot of the terminator with the Genestealer head.

:D

Bit of a silly oversight, but the scultps are still nice enough.

Cornishman
05-09-2009, 15:30
I'd noticed the missing arm too... Think of it as what happens to the stealer if you don't quite roll high enough to kill it. Though I admit it just doesn't look right...

Unfortunately I too found a couple of minor miscasts. A stealer was a claw short, and poor Brother Claudio only had 3 1/2 blades on a lightning claw. On the plus side after a quick chat (but not quick hold) to GW direct I should have replacement parts in a week :)