PDA

View Full Version : enhancing the game contents?

ceimeifukan
02-09-2009, 20:52
Hi all,

Like many others i got my copy of SH this morning and have had a great time so far plowing through the rules and building the models. I noticed a few areas though where I think GW possibly missed a trick. They're only small things but they reduced the quality of the package as a whole.

First are the thoughtfully provided baggies for all the counters, they're nice but a set of velvet bags with draw strings would've been a lot nicer and could be used for picking all of those random counters without having to go find a mug or similar. I've picked up a set of 10 on ebay 4"x6" for a couple of quid.

Secondly the sand timer feels and looks cheap. I've actually timed it (yes I know very pedantic) and it consistently comes in short of 3 mins (is it supposed to be 180 secs or 170?). A little bit of plastic detailing around the top/base would've really set it off. Has anybody looked for a nice replacement?

They're just my thoughts, anybody had similar?

Cheers

rev
02-09-2009, 21:05
Firstly, I thought the set was stunning high quality compared to GW's normal products.

If I was to add one thing, a small thing, it'd be to make an interlocking stealer entry tile rather than those purple arrows. As I said, only a small thing!

otherwise very happy.

Rev

ceimeifukan
02-09-2009, 21:15
Oh yeah I wasn't knocking the rest of it. Oh how I caressed those shiny shiny tiles :-)

I only meant in comparisom to the quality of the rest of it that those bits struck me as out of place.

Thats a good point about entry pieces, those jagged ends do look a little odd.

grimcrazy
02-09-2009, 22:09
yeah, if the entry tile looked something like this...

http://thetyranidhive.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=General&action=display&thread=13587&page=1

Sleby
03-09-2009, 02:06
Heh, I timed my egg timer and it came in at 3minutes and 15 seconds.

I guess not all egg timers are created equal ;)

Cpt. Drill
03-09-2009, 02:35
If I was to add one thing, a small thing, it'd be to make an interlocking stealer entry tile rather than those purple arrows. As I said, only a small thing!

That is a great idea! I always thought that the corridors looked so unfinished with no end piece but having alien filled hole or something similar would look awesome!

One hundred golden guineas to the first person to photo shop some!

AndrewGPaul
03-09-2009, 07:58
I might have to muck about with Audacity and see if I can't come up with a 3min mp3; an Aliens-style mition-tracker beep or heartbeat countdown for the last 10 seconds, and a genestealer growl at the end.

grimcrazy
03-09-2009, 08:44
like that UK quizz show countdown!

AndrewGPaul
03-09-2009, 08:50
do-do, do-do, doodle-do-do, doooo!

Or not. :)

pookie
03-09-2009, 10:05
:rolleyes:

we get something thats of a better qaulity tahn anything GW has produced before, and people complain - yes OP im looking at you.

you do realise that the terminators are amongst the best, if not the best sculpts we have ever been given by GW? the Card sections are amazing and much better quality than anything out there in the current Market, and people aint happy.

rev - agree though that would have been pretty good, tho ive no complaint, well other than it wasnt free :p

Wickey the Viking
03-09-2009, 13:43
I'll be making the sides of the tilles black (with Edding or something) Just makes it look a bit better then the bare cardboard. (Did it with the WHQ tiles and Doom tiles... trust me, it looks great!)

LordWhiteWolf
03-09-2009, 14:13
I've started to varnish the sides of all my tiles to strengthen them, i considered painting them all black but the time need to do that isn't worth it. At the end of the day they are cardboard tiles.

fiore hellheart
03-09-2009, 19:28
Personally I do not like the lack of attachable tiles for the stealer entry points. So i made this tile in photoshop. Not sure if it will print well but if it does then you have a perfect representative tile to use. I would still use the arrows with it though.

If it isnt high enough quality then is anybody able to find a higher res image? please tell if so anyway as then i can make it an even better res.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68685&d=1252046209

jasdc1
03-09-2009, 23:00
I've thought about varnishing the tiles myself. Would it be better to varnish the whole thing or just the edges? I also am coloring the side with a sharpie. Suprised GW didn't do it for all the pics. Would have improved the shots a whole lot. Guess they forgot about the simple hobby trick for cardboard since they moved onto plastic terrain.

Guerillaboy
03-09-2009, 23:16
My timer comes in at 2min 35 sec, lol

LordWhiteWolf
03-09-2009, 23:26
I've thought about varnishing the tiles myself. Would it be better to varnish the whole thing or just the edges? I also am coloring the side with a sharpie. Suprised GW didn't do it for all the pics. Would have improved the shots a whole lot. Guess they forgot about the simple hobby trick for cardboard since they moved onto plastic terrain.

I'm only varnishing the sides. When your doing it you will need a wet cloth to wipe any excess varnish off the top and bottom. On the tiles i've tested this on i did 3 coats because 1 really doesn't do a lot.

neXus6
04-09-2009, 00:40
Man they would go and pick a 3 minute time limit wouldn't they.
For some reason all the coolest sand-timers around seem to be either 2 minutes (for most coloured sand ones) or 5 minutes for truly decorative pieces (a lot of gothic/wiccan ones seem to be 5 or longer).

All in all I'm very happy with the contense, I was a lot better than expected, and to be honest I've no problem spending another 5-10 if I want a themed timer or bags.

They could have done more, but by their standards what they did do was well beyond my expectations.
:D

fiore hellheart
04-09-2009, 06:21
Man they would go and pick a 3 minute time limit wouldn't they.
For some reason all the coolest sand-timers around seem to be either 2 minutes (for most coloured sand ones) or 5 minutes for truly decorative pieces (a lot of gothic/wiccan ones seem to be 5 or longer).

All in all I'm very happy with the contense, I was a lot better than expected, and to be honest I've no problem spending another 5-10 if I want a themed timer or bags.

They could have done more, but by their standards what they did do was well beyond my expectations.

As a matter of fact it is actually 3 minutes and 15 seconds long. an even more awkward time.

AndrewGPaul
04-09-2009, 07:27
I thin it's supposed to be 3 mins. I tested both of mine, once in each direction and got 3:01/3:05 and 3:03/3:23

neXus6
04-09-2009, 08:56

:eek:
For some reason last night the picture wouldn't load but now I can see it that truly is brilliant, exactly what I was thinking and imagining for a "hived" entryway.

Higher res is always nice but I reckon that's fine.

rev
04-09-2009, 08:59
Personally I do not like the lack of attachable tiles for the stealer entry points. So i made this tile in photoshop. Not sure if it will print well but if it does then you have a perfect representative tile to use. I would still use the arrows with it though.

If it isnt high enough quality then is anybody able to find a higher res image? please tell if so anyway as then i can make it an even better res.

This looks great amigo, just what I was thinking, my only addition would be similar to what I've crudly added below, to officially put stealer blips in lurk cradles or somesuch. But I'm a geek, so....

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o276/revmatt/Minis/Infestation1.png

rev

neXus6
04-09-2009, 09:07
Well you could just take a small bit out of the black rim that is already there to settle the blips into, rather than adding sticky out bits to it.

But yeah it's a nice wee extra thought if you don't want those blips looking messy.
:p

keatsmeister
04-09-2009, 09:53
Have to say, this edition is probably the best value for money I've ever had from GW, including rare blisters with the extra mini... The sculpt quality on those Termies is fantastic, and even with all the Blood Angels regalia on there, they are still easily converted to other Chapters should you so wish. The tiles are much better than I had expected, though I'm somewhat of a magpie when it comes to stuff like that - the shinier the better :D

Yes it would perhaps have been better to include some more corridor ends, particularly for 'Stealer entry points, however I'm fine with the arrows, as I quite enjoy missions where we vary the entry points as turns progress...

As for enhancing, I'll be using the tiles as templates for some 3D corridor work, and building wider corridors and a massive cargo hold room. I'll also be playing with rules for Deathwatch, Imperial Navy crew, Daemons and Grey Knights for a bit of variation.

snottlebocket
04-09-2009, 10:19

I assume it's a bit of detail you lifted of another tile or room? If you want a high quality image that prints well you'll need to create a 300 dpi version in photoshop. The easiest way to do this is by scanning one of the existing tiles at 300 dpi to make sure you get the proportions of the 'puzzle bit' right in order to hook in properly to the other tiles.

Alternatively you could take a 300dpi photograph and try to scale it right manually in photoshop but that sounds a lot tougher.

When you create a new file in photoshop you can set the dimensions and the resolution (dpi) of the image. 72dpi is screen quality for online work, 300 dpi is print and press quality.

fiore hellheart
04-09-2009, 15:51
I assume it's a bit of detail you lifted of another tile or room? If you want a high quality image that prints well you'll need to create a 300 dpi version in photoshop. The easiest way to do this is by scanning one of the existing tiles at 300 dpi to make sure you get the proportions of the 'puzzle bit' right in order to hook in properly to the other tiles.

Alternatively you could take a 300dpi photograph and try to scale it right manually in photoshop but that sounds a lot tougher.

When you create a new file in photoshop you can set the dimensions and the resolution (dpi) of the image. 72dpi is screen quality for online work, 300 dpi is print and press quality.

I nicked the 3 spine type things (two at top one on bottom) from the infested room tile ,rescaled and repositioned them. I also darkened the orignal disposal chute tile, added a purpe over colour and photoshopped a load of tendrill stuff. If i can be arsed i may do another smaller tile so that the smaller one can be a normal entry and this can be a second wave entry.

@andrew when i timed mine i used a digital stopwatch and did 3 timing all about 3:15. slight variation of about a sec but close enough.

@ people that think they should have include stealer tiles. Well if they did one people would want lots of individual tiles. Also the amount of space they would take up is significantly more and may have made the spacehulk box actually reach 4kg instead of 3.6

@snottlebucket. Thanks for the tips about the dpi thingy.

athamas
04-09-2009, 16:27
i think im gona end up using the curved ones with hazzard markings on them.. for most missions.... ill have enough :D

destroyerlord
05-09-2009, 04:07
Doesn't the box only come with four of them (curved end piece with hazard marks)? Mission two has ten entry points! I suppose you bought two sets then?

athamas
05-09-2009, 04:24
yes... :p

but there are several end pieces that could be used as end pieces..
but as noted it would be nice to have ends.. there was enough space in the cardboard for a few things...

Dezartfox
05-09-2009, 08:15
Aw now I'm googling for egg timers.. the end pieces are nice, you just have to remember that they're not actually there for movement!

AndrewGPaul
05-09-2009, 09:29
This looks great amigo, just what I was thinking, my only addition would be similar to what I've crudly added below, to officially put stealer blips in lurk cradles or somesuch. But I'm a geek, so....

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o276/revmatt/Minis/Infestation1.png

rev

Surely you just stack lurking blips on that piece? You don't need additional space, since that "entry square" is replacing the purple arrow - if you then make blips lurk off that, you're adding one square to the distance the 'stealers need to move.

ceimeifukan
05-09-2009, 10:01
if anybody fins a nice egg timer, or even digital tmier for that matter, I'd love to see a link.

I've trawled ebay a couple of times now but still not found anything really suitable

doghouse
05-09-2009, 11:22
I'll probably get one of these timers here as they are pretty cheap.

http://www.clicksports.co.uk/products/stopwatches/?gad=AT-STOP&gclid=CJudxtes2pwCFV8B4wod7SIAKw

The end pieces here look really nice, they'd be a great addition to the game.

neXus6
05-09-2009, 11:22
I've been trying to find one myself as I've said somewhere else on the forum.

For coloured sand it seems the majority are only 2 minute timers, while for proper pewter sculpt fancy ones it is generally 5 minutes or more.

One I have found, though it's from an american site so I don't know about shipping is this (http://www.officeplayground.com/Hourglass-Sand-Timer-3-Minute-Satin-Gun-Metal-P798.aspx).

http://www.officeplayground.com/Assets/ProductImages/pi2100-2299/2272_HourglassSandTimer3MinSatinGunMetal_1.jpg

Gunmetal would seem to fit a lot better than clear plastic.

doghouse
05-09-2009, 11:34
These are my favourite looking ones so far that I've come across, I might get the second one.

http://www.giftsforprofessionals.com/49996.html

http://www.officeplayground.com/Hourglass-Sand-Timer-3-Minute-Antique-P731.aspx

ceimeifukan
05-09-2009, 12:31
with a bit of work you could turn the second into a used storm bolter shell

Darnok
05-09-2009, 14:47
While I'm blown away by the models and the cardboard parts (both tiles and coutners), I have to agree on the general disappointment with the timer and the lack of entrance tiles.

I bought two sets for gaming duties, and the timers came out at 2:48 and 2:50 - plus I'm not really happy about them being cheapish looking plastic. A second test just gave me 2:24 and 2:28 for the sand running in the other way... :wtf:

I know, it is complaining on quite a high level, but those are the aspects of the game I'm not happy with...

Alsharoth
05-09-2009, 16:32
Wouldn't mind one of these if they were made.
http://www.thefloatingfrog.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/976741237230091-500x333.jpg

neXus6
05-09-2009, 16:39
There are numerous makes digital "sand" timers out there but I just preffer the idea of a real sand one, it has some class and also a mix of the old and new tech from certain ones.

CRasterImage
05-09-2009, 16:59
I think the round, hazard-striped end caps are useful for Marine entrys. There are usually only 2 and I think there are never more than 4 in the game. Which works out. Also, I think they were traditionally used for marine entry points in past editions. Having the hallway end with a jigsaw edge and an imperial eagle arrow token isn't quite enough.

@hellheart: I don't think you need any special lurking cradles. Lurking blips would actually be sitting inside the board piece. I think you could fit 4 to 6 of them in there. Also, if the cradles went off the sides, then the board piece would be in danger of interferring with another spawn point right next to it.

ml2sjw
05-09-2009, 17:02
don't forget Genestealer entry points generally represent corridors leading off in the hulk rather than discreet points or nests

CRasterImage
05-09-2009, 17:06
True. It would be kind of cool if each entry was different. Some had holes in the floor, some were dead-ends with hole in the wall, some were corrupted hallways (art fades away near back edge)

Another thing to consider: Keep your empty cardboard parts. They have built-in jigsaw bits on them and they are the correct thickness. They could be useful for parts, or whole, custom entry points.

fiore hellheart
05-09-2009, 17:19
Yes a wall entry point would be sensible but i do not think i would be able to make a tile where it looks like the wall is ripped to shreds or infested. So i went with the hatch thing.

Ben
05-09-2009, 17:32
I think the important point here is that there is someone who has the expertise to do tiles, which means we can very nicely ask about updating the tiles from Deathwing for the new edition, which gives us more variety and more playable missions.

doghouse
05-09-2009, 17:32
Another thing to consider: Keep your empty cardboard parts. They have built-in jigsaw bits on them and they are the correct thickness. They could be useful for parts, or whole, custom entry points.

That's a really good idea. Nice one I like that! :)

CRasterImage
05-09-2009, 18:20
I looked through my cardboard trash bits and I counted 4 jigsaws that were at least 2" long. 6 jigsaws that were at least 1" long (includes the earlier group). And dozens of jigsaws that were a 1/4" long. The small ones could be edge peices that are glued to home-made tiles.

One other neat thing about them: The jigsaw parts all have the proper texturing on them.

doghouse
05-09-2009, 18:29
NIce one! I'll definately be trying that out. :)
Cheers for that mate.

fiore hellheart
05-09-2009, 18:39
I looked through my cardboard trash bits and I counted 4 jigsaws that were at least 2" long. 6 jigsaws that were at least 1" long (includes the earlier group). And dozens of jigsaws that were a 1/4" long. The small ones could be edge peices that are glued to home-made tiles.

One other neat thing about them: The jigsaw parts all have the proper texturing on them.

Whet do you mean by proper texturing?

CRasterImage
05-09-2009, 18:55
Whet do you mean by proper texturing?

The texture used by the tile that was connected to the edge continued outside the real piece a bit. So if you want to design and print out something, you don't have to include the jigsaw bit in your design. It will be already textured.

Of course, you could if you want. But then you have to do the difficult task of cutting the pattern out of the paper and follow the jigsaw shape carefully.

UberBeast
05-09-2009, 19:18
I am floored at the high quality of the game contents. I hate to complain at all because everything was so good, but the timers really are pretty bad. My friend took his out of the wrapping and one of the caps fell off and spilled the white sand all over the place. The timers look like GW raided a bunch of 1970's Boggle games.

That being said it is nice that they provided a timer at all.

Ben
05-09-2009, 20:35
I'll probably use a stop watch instead of the egg timer, but everything else was superb quality.

As pointed out above, you can use the spare cardboard for making extra tiles. I have thus saved the remains from the bin, and will be trimming off the useless bits soon.

torn
05-09-2009, 23:05
I personally use a kitchen timer, costs a couple of quid, is digital, and beeps when the time is up, which means that it cant be missed, although after 6 games played we havent yet managed to not complete a turn.

My only real complaint is the plastic seems too much like the heroquest plastic was, harder and more brittle, so it takes more effort to take it of the sprues without anything breaking. It does make the pieces stronger for gaming though. Then again I am usually against plastic miniatures and only really like painting metals, even if these do look good when you get down to painting them you notice flaws in plastic you wouldnt get in metal.

I have also kept the little squares that dropped out of the board sections, as you never know when you might need new markers for something.

ted1138
06-09-2009, 08:22
My timer runs for 2:50 one way and 3:10 the other. Now if I were a devious person I could maybe use that to my advantage..........