PDA

View Full Version : A word of caution...

squilverine
03-09-2009, 22:17
I finally got my hands on my copy today! Technicaly yesterday, but I had to wait until this morning to pick it up from the post office. The first thing that struck me was the weight of the thing, it is fairly hefty for a box of it's size. After debating for all of five seconds wether or not to keep it sealed and sorted for the future I ripped of the shrink wrap and prized off the lid, the contents are genuinely the best quality I have ever seen from Workshop. Regardless of what is said about their prices, they are certainly not complacent when it comes to pushing the boundries of what they do.

After a quick flick through the two books (which are the only slight dissapointment. As they are in leaflet format I can see them getting very tatty after a few uses) I start to clip the miniatures from the sprues and set about cleaning them up for painting.

What I noticed, especialy with the blue Genestealer sprues, is that the plastic they have used appears to be a fair bit softer than the usual grey stuff they use. I mention this as I was expecting more resistance when I started to trim the flash away and nearly lopped of a stealers arm

My advice is to start trimming these models with the bits under the bases, just to get used to the softness of the plastic, and therefor avoid any unintentional amputations!

khyron
03-09-2009, 22:53
I came here looking for just such a thread as this.

Clipping these guys off the sprue is uber frustrating. If you don't want to ruin that great detail, you'll need to spend several hours cutting and sanding. The only up side is that there are less than 35 models to assemble.

neXus6
03-09-2009, 23:14
I could be wrong, I've not actually started cutting the pieces off the sprues yet, but the red plastic seems to be a lot stronger.
Possibly related much of the details on the terminators seem a lot sharper than those on the 'stealers.

Regardless of what is said about their prices, they are certainly not complacent when it comes to pushing the boundries of what they do.
Here I would disagree slightly, with this set they have shown what the really can do when they try, which to me shows up a large amount of their stuff for the half-arsed jobs they are.
:p

Bob5000
03-09-2009, 23:30
I think partly due to the box being crammed full , one of the 'Stealer arms had snapped off in my box , along with a couple of fingers , but a bit of plastic Glue fixed that .

jasdc1
03-09-2009, 23:51
I thought it was a stronger plastic too. I found it better to cut up and remove the sprue from the Model as apposed to clipping the model out of the sprue.

Tyra_Nid
04-09-2009, 03:18
My experiences with it have been that it seems softer...

Hellebore
04-09-2009, 04:19
Trimming all mine I haven't found any softness in plastic. They work just like any other. Maybe it's a batch of them with specific plastic compositional problems?

Hellebore

AndrewGPaul
04-09-2009, 08:26
Yeah, GW's plastic is far from consistent. My AoBR Marines are quite soft compared to the ones from BfM.

Bookwrak
04-09-2009, 09:04
My experiences with it have been that it seems softer...

Mine are completely indistinguishable from standard GW plastics.

rev
04-09-2009, 09:52
I thought the plastic of mine was actually harder than of the 40k range.

As people have said, quality is likely to vary a little though.

rev

Chairman_woo
04-09-2009, 10:42
The red plastic is indeed a bit more brittle and hard presumably to allow the extra detail, I cant say I noticed the stealers were much different from normal GW plastics tho.

My heart goes out to anyone who tries to assemble the minatures without a knife or clippers. The terminators in particular are near impossible to snap off the sprue without breaking bits off, a sharp tool is essential.

pookie
04-09-2009, 12:15
I thought the plastic of mine was actually harder than of the 40k range.

As people have said, quality is likely to vary a little though.

rev

agreed, tho ive noticed that room temp can effect the 'stregth' of plastics in the past.

OP - thanks though i will bear this in mind, especially with the Terminators as some of the joins to the sprue are around the more delicate parts.

Dezartfox
04-09-2009, 15:49
I found the plastics slightly tougher, I reckon its to make sure they dont break, they hold the detail and to keep the assembly pegs attached.

Dwarf Supreme
04-09-2009, 17:58
I thought it was a stronger plastic too. I found it better to cut up and remove the sprue from the Model as apposed to clipping the model out of the sprue.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try remember that when I get my copy.

Haunted_Undead
04-09-2009, 22:05
I definitely found the red plastic harder but i didn't see any issue with softness in the sprue`s

destroyerlord
05-09-2009, 04:58
This is what I found. Definitely harder (although only slightly) than normal.

agreed, tho ive noticed that room temp can effect the 'stregth' of plastics in the past.

OP - thanks though i will bear this in mind, especially with the Terminators as some of the joins to the sprue are around the more delicate parts.

Room temperature could be an issue down here in Tassie, its been a cold week (in the evenings anyway).
And as for the second comment...Many of the models I clipped off the sprue have slight whiteness where they bent as I removed them. I was so afraid of breaking the chains off of the lightning claw termie especially.

Paganite
05-09-2009, 08:11
Hi fellow Tasmanian! Are you down south? Where its been raining for the last 3 months?

I had that trouble on some of the genestealers, I had one where one entire arm had gone white, and I almost lost a few pegs.

The mold lines are not too bad either.

The plastic of the lot I have got, both red and blue, feal and appear indistinguishable from normal gray plastic.

BlastmasterJ
05-09-2009, 19:37
My CAT came bent, its claw and prong are all discoloured and white now :(

UberBeast
06-09-2009, 19:36
The set I have seems to be if anything a slightly harder plastic. I also accidentally clipped one of the guide pegs off a terminator so I had to losely fit the arm into place. It looks fine but jeez, it looked like junk until I noticed that they all had them.

grissom2006
07-09-2009, 12:39
Cut the injection points as far from the model as possible then you should find that a large number will come of easily. The cloak to Lorenzo's Bolter arm is the only problem area i found but no diffierent to any other thinly cats areas on plastis i've known GW do.

Sureshot05
07-09-2009, 15:00
My set arrived with one claw snapped, but this was easily fixed as it was a clean break and hence I just reglued it. Personally, I'm in the tougher plastic camp and was glad I had a tough pair of clippers to hand as it took a while to clip them all off, then use my knife to level the bases on all of them. Next step is the mold lines which I am equally not looking forward to cleaning, but it is necessary. Then it is on to the nervous job of painting them. Never painted blood angels before so will be a learning experience. I am going to start with a test marine and then move on to them, but still nervous as to how they will come out.