PDA

View Full Version : Space Hulk, the 'Limited Edition' issue - Truth or Prevarication?

Pacific
04-09-2009, 00:01
There seem to be a lot of conflicting reports flying around about how exactly 'limited edition' Space Hulk is going to be, depending on whether you speak to Games Workshop staff, or independent retailers.

The official line is that once the limited run of 70,000 copies had produced that is it. Whats more, many of these have been withdrawn from independent stockists, and GW has pushed a massive marketing campaign to ensure fans pay the 60/$100 asking price.

Or is the 'limited edition' tag merely a marketing ploy to ensure maximum sales on day of release, and copies of the game will continue to be released in the run up to Christmas? Such a technique has served companies such as Corgi and Airfix well over the years, although for obvious reasons the effect on consumers with each subsequent 'limited edition' release is reduced.

There are many conflicting arguments going around. I thought it would be interesting to run a poll on whether or not people think Space Hulk will be here and gone on September 5th, or copies will still be available (and with a 20% discount through independent traders) a month or two months from now.

starlight
04-09-2009, 00:08
I believe that the first *Limited Edition* is truly limited (although I've heard 65,000-100,000 sets) simply for economic reasons (specifically outsourced tiles). However, I don't believe that GW would pass up on the opportunity to cash in on a second *expansion* run for Christmas...

Nor do I believe that they won't PDF the rules and offer the Sprues as *expansion specials* later on...in fact they'd be silly *not to*.

Mannimarco
04-09-2009, 00:39
of course theyre limited, limited to the number they can sell

paulsongames
04-09-2009, 00:57
By keeping it a limited release they effectively stabbed all of the non-direct retailers. The bulk of teh copies went to filling the GW direct pre-orders and any remaining copies were handed out to independant distributors and stores who only got a fraction of what what they ordered.

I run a store that carries GW but I use a third party retailer rather than buy direct from GW, we ordered 10 boxes of space hulk but GW short changed my distributor and theygot less than 15% of the total copies they wanted, I ordered all ten boxes less than an hour after the space hulk announcement went live we got exactly ONE copy in.

It's been a great way to pad their sales but due to the short time frame of the offical release announcement and keping it almost entirely in house has really burned a lot of reatilers bad, and people wonder why GW has such a bad rep with retailers.

I'm going to have 9 very pissed off players who won't be getting a copy, I don't see them looking at GW too kindly for a quite while.

It's really a shame because I think space hulk is probably the best game GW has ever put out and to leave so many people out due to it being a limited edition is just stupid. Really terrible marketing move IMO

Znail
04-09-2009, 01:25
Hmm, there is a reason that alot of people ordered direct from GW and that is to be sure they got a copy. That indy stores would be unsure to get copies was to be expected. Even GW stores had to return some copies to fill pre-orders! Quite alot of countries had free shipping offer to combine with this release, so its rather strange not to pre-order if you realy wanted your copy.

Brother.Gabriel
04-09-2009, 01:50
I don't understand all this conjecture about space Hulks Limitedness. I don't see why GW would want to advertise it as Limited and then a couple of months later go to everyone, like retailers and customers "say hey we made more". For starters that would be really shoddy business practice in the long term by alienating both sides of the bowl. For example X product comes out that is advertised as ltd ed, never to be done again - you want it and buy and then 6 months later it comes out again. X product is then no longer ltd ed as anyone can now choose to buy it. I personally would be extreamly hacked off. I think unfortunalty, as always, the doom seekers and nay sayers attitudes towards a thriving and successful company are heard more. It seems to me that GW can never do right with anything they do to some collectors.

The one that all ways gets me is when people think that the manufactering dept can just drop in a production run of things whenever they like. They work their schudals months ahead. Most manufactoring depts will be gearing up to stock pile X-mas stock items ready for November.

I think Space Hulk will be out and gone by Games Day at the lastest. TBH if their are any left in GW retail chain by then I can see the copies all getting dragged upto Birmingham to make sure it is all gone. Anyone who seriously thinks it is going to be around for X-mas is going to be severly dissappointed

loveless
04-09-2009, 02:35
I'm guessing it'll be gone before Christmas. There's always bound to be a few sets laying around unsold in independent stores for awhile, but as soon as those store owners find out how much they're going for on eBay...well, smart money says that they'll buy the sets themselves and throw 'em on eBay to make a tidy little profit.

While not a huge thing, pretty much every limited edition model that GW has put out has been just that - Harry the Hammer, White Dwarf/Gotrek/Bugman, limited models in army boxes, the Fanatics and Bonesinger given out with the Battalion deals a couple of years ago...

True, they were metal, but good luck finding them on GW's store now...I expect Space Hulk will be the same. You might find one randomly in an indie store, but as far as GW's concerned, they're done with it.

I'd expect a once-a-year Limited release as opposed to ongoing support of Space Hulk or anything similar.

AndrewGPaul
04-09-2009, 07:24
I don't understand all this conjecture about space Hulks Limitedness. I don't see why GW would want to advertise it as Limited and then a couple of months later go to everyone, like retailers and customers "say hey we made more". For starters that would be really shoddy business practice in the long term by alienating both sides of the bowl.

It's also illegal. I'm pretty sure GW don't want a visit from Trading Standards.

I belive this set is a limited run, albeit possibly with a high limit. Whether there will be another set, maybe with thinner card or other changes, I don't know. I doubt it, though. It's not just a matter of it being a good seller. It's possible that Spacer Hulk simply isn't profitable enough as an ongoing concern. After paying for the boxes (custom size and quality), the card sheets (ditto), shipping from China, warehouse storage space, etc, there's probably a better return on AoBR boxes and sets of Tactical Marines.

Plastic Rat
04-09-2009, 08:04
Well I elected to order from my local retailer because I believe they should be supported. They provide me with a place to play, meet and exposure to grow the hobby.

If this decision does result in me not getting a copy of Space Hulk, it will be the very last GW produced item I ever order, period. It's shocking marketing and shocking support for its customers and the retailers that distribute their product.

spaint2k
04-09-2009, 08:04
I don't understand all this conjecture about space Hulks Limitedness.

It's also illegal. I'm pretty sure GW don't want a visit from Trading Standards.

It comes down to people just not trusting GW. And they've done it before with miniatures. The most notable example was probably the IG Praetorians whose rerelease was justified by saying "The boxed set was a limited release".

Steve

Jedi152
04-09-2009, 08:24
Apparently they're expecting it to be sold out with a few months.

So it is limited, but the question is will it ever come back?

rev
04-09-2009, 08:51
I find it odd that they'd invest a huge initial outlay in commissioning a company to design and produce 'debossed' floor plans to only then order a limited quantity, when it'd surely get cheaper the more you ordered once the initial R&D cost has been paid.

That said I hope they stick to it otherwise

1) they've fibbed again about somethings availability
and
2) it will devalue my second sealed copy :)

rev

Jedi152
04-09-2009, 08:56
I suspect sealed copies won't be worth much* since everyone and his dog ordered 2 or more copies. I'd estimate that a good 15-20% of copies sold are people keeping them to sell.

Nothing GW make nowadays is worth much, because everyone knows that something is limited and jump on the bandwagon to try and make a quick buck.

*I expect you'll get more than retail in a year or two, but not big money.

Phantomworks
04-09-2009, 09:16
From what I understand and looking at various sources, it genuinely looks like a limited run...
so when it is gone it is gone according to GW. How soon it will be gone who knows, depends on sales, but it seems to be flying out the shops regardless.

keatsmeister
04-09-2009, 09:33
Online is already out as of this morning. Glad I got one copy, but I will still try and get that second copy so I won't feel so guilty about chopping up those Termies ;)

rev
04-09-2009, 09:34
I suspect sealed copies won't be worth much* since everyone and his dog ordered 2 or more copies.

All my limited collection is aimed at antiques roadshow when my granchildren inherit it :)

rev

Brother.Gabriel
04-09-2009, 09:42
The most notable example was probably the IG Praetorians whose rerelease was justified by saying "The boxed set was a limited release".

If I remember the Limitedness "Boxed set" was the platoon box, in which you got the dead praetorians not the entire range so I don't see how they mislead people there. This was the same for the Voysterans release - for which the range it still available. People have to remember the difference between a "Limited Run" and a "Limited Edition" release. With a limited run they are free to do more if they so wish such as BL Libre Chaotic, which has been released every year for the the last 3 years or the 100 Imperial City set which was done for the initail release and then the following x-mas. With a limited Edition it just that - limited - Granted they may choose to do it again but it would not be the "same" as it is now. And TBH I don't see why they would. As I have said above I don't think GW powers that be can do anything right without nay sayers moaning about this that and other.

Jagged
04-09-2009, 09:42
My local little independant has told me they will not be able to get any copies for the shop.

keatsmeister
04-09-2009, 10:10
What are the odds there's a standby stash for sale at Games Day?

the_picto
04-09-2009, 10:11
I voted for "Fairly - There will still be some copies floating around for the next couple of weeks". But, that's largely wishful thinking as I've not ordered a copy and am hoping to be able to pick one up in store on saturday.

To begin with I thought the "limited edition, buy quick or miss out!" was largely hyperbole and there'd be copies floating around for weeks or months after release. Now that the online store has sold out already, I'm not so sure.

Jedi152
04-09-2009, 10:11
I expect they'll have held a few back to find a 'hidden' cache for GD. BL have done it a few times.

"Look what we found in a corner of our warehouse!"

Souleater
04-09-2009, 12:36
Or bring out 'Deathwing' with DA specific Termies....

eriochrome
04-09-2009, 12:42
I expect they'll have held a few back to find a 'hidden' cache for GD. BL have done it a few times.

"Look what we found in a corner of our warehouse!"

They just get ones shipped back that the stores do not sell since some are getting like 80 copies.

KroSha
04-09-2009, 13:18
Oxford St in London are getting 100 copies. And at least 30 of those are already paid for (one's mine). In addition, there's a "reserve" list that means they'll hold it for Saturday only.

WRT the "Limited", I fully expect this to be it. Printed components are hellishly expensive in any game. That's why spell cards were dropped from WFB and plastic templates introduced in 40K. But plastics are forever; only the sculpting and tooling costs are high. Once those are done, the minis are cheap as chips. Expect a BA vs Nids campaign box and squad boxes before Xmas. Notice that only 2 minis are spaceship specific, because they are breaking through the floor. The others are waving body parts and on generic skulls / metal framework. Which would suit almost any urban themed combat site.

loveless
04-09-2009, 13:29
Or bring out 'Deathwing' with DA specific Termies....

Hey, they need something to bring out later on :p

---

With regards to people mentioning the cardboard sections and such - wasn't there a rumour going around that GW got a break on the cost of them as it was a new company that wanted to show off what they could do? I know I heard that somewhere, but I've no idea if it's true.

If that's the case, GW would have only ordered so many - those to sell, and those to keep back in the event of flaws so they can maintain their customer service record.

If they comission more, I'm betting the components will be different in some way - the new Blood Angel v. Genestealer Space Hulk (Space Hulk 2009? What are we calling this beast?) will likely not be remade in its entirety.

I do expect the sprues to show up on GW's store eventually, however - likely for ridiculously high prices so as not to cannibalize sales of overpriced 5-man Termie boxes and 8-model Genestealer boxes.

spaint2k
04-09-2009, 14:58
If I remember the Limitedness "Boxed set" was the platoon box, in which you got the dead praetorians not the entire range so I don't see how they mislead people there.

Not really. I don't have my old WDs anymore but I'm pretty sure the figures were touted as being ONLY available in the box.

Later on, they were all released separately AND I am sure that the casualties were in the online store for a while.

The only really limited item in that box was the decal sheet.

Steve

jonnyrawkus
04-09-2009, 17:32
I work for an independant stockist - we will be getting no more space hulk ever, unless of course GW decide to re-release

We and all other Indy stores were limited to just 15 copies

And yes all 15 copies sold out within the week

loveless
04-09-2009, 18:21
I work for an independant stockist - we will be getting no more space hulk ever, unless of course GW decide to re-release

We and all other Indy stores were limited to just 15 copies

And yes all 15 copies sold out within the week

That may be true in the UK, but several independant stores based out of the States got 40 copies or more according to my contacts.

Znail
04-09-2009, 19:07
Partner class indy stores could order more copies. I guess that the non-partner stores and retailers got shafted first when the copies started to run out too.

Haunted_Undead
04-09-2009, 20:55
While picking up my Space Hulk today I was talking to the manager at the store and he said it was definitely sold out. He also said out the 90 store copies for sale tomorrow they had to send 30 back for mail order to fill out there orders leaving them with 60. Yes I know it was a staffer but down my local there usually spot on.

He also said he`d be very surprised if there are any left for Games Day. He also mentioned he would be quite annoyed as well lol

Znail
04-09-2009, 20:59
I very much doubt that they are holding any back to sell later. At most so would they hold some back for demo games.

Glabro
10-09-2009, 08:37
Fantasiapelit in Helsinki got a couple of hundred of them! And to top it off, they sold them with a 20% discount as part of their GW sale campaign...

I really should have pre-ordered more. In fact, I only got one as my friend was too broke to buy his!

I could see myself getting more copies for various reasons, so I hope that there's more later.

Ravens Claw
10-09-2009, 08:52
I dont care... I got three copies, 2 for gaming and one for putting away to sell when they pull this same stunt with bloodbowl and i want the cash.

After speaking with a former GW "higher up" I now...

a) understand why they would make this a limited edition (their reasoning is very sound and nothing short of ingenious but far too long to describe here) and

b) know that this will "most definitely" be a one off print run.

For those out there who got it, enjoy it, for those who did not... try and look out for the best deal possible.

frankthedm
14-09-2009, 16:31
We won't see this box's configuration again. That is ALL limited edition means.

Chits might be plastic to drive up the price. All except stealer blips will be clear

Next time it will be priced at whatever the 2009 box is going for on eBay, possibly more if they go with "No cardboard, all molded plastic".

I fully expect to see the models again for normal W40k.

Charax
14-09-2009, 16:43
I agree with what others have said - there are only these 70,000 copies of this particular configuration of models, boards & counters, and the next release will have the bare minimum differences required to not get them into trouble Re: the "Limited Edition" marketing.

Frankly I think it's about time GW got it's own cardstock manufacturing facilities, then they wouldn't have the outsourcing issues, and could sell things like packs of unit cards (or - gasp! - Wargear cards) as well as bringing out more Space Hulk and WHQ-type games.

blagmasterg
14-09-2009, 17:05
Why can't everyone just accept that this is a beautiful release of one of the all time greatest board games and leave it at that? Why do we have to have endless debates about whether its limited and how limited it is and how they might get around it being limited? For what its worth, I believe that it is truly limited, that they are done with it now and that we will not see any further GW Space Hulk products until the next edition in 2019 or whenever.

WildAnimal
14-09-2009, 18:23
I don't care about GW's publishing politics, just they keep releasing games in the same quality as Space Hulk. I'll just order it on GW's website, the same day it comes up for sale.

T10
14-09-2009, 19:33
Why can't everyone just accept that this is a beautiful release of one of the all time greatest board games and leave it at that?

I don't think it's reasonable to expect everyone to be happy about this release. Some few sad people are just born whiners and will even complain that things are too good. Ignore them.

-T10