PDA

View Full Version : The time pressure

Sleby
04-09-2009, 02:44
Does anyone ever feel pressured by the timer? My friend and I have played through the first three missions now (playing both sides each) and we have never ever run out of time for a turn as marines. Does it ever happen to you?

I feel like they should of made it a 2 or 2 and half minute timer. 3 minutes is a long time!

Hellebore
04-09-2009, 03:05
Have you played with all 12 marines yet? afaik you don't get extra time for the extra marines so those missions are going to be harder.

Hellebore

athamas
04-09-2009, 03:55
yeah, 3 mins is plenty of time for the first mission, but once you get to the later ones, it starts to pile on preasure...

Sleby
04-09-2009, 04:06
Well you have 10 marines in the third mission, which I have played. I guess I'll wait till the 12 man missions :p

Reinholt
04-09-2009, 04:40
I find it is also heavily dependent on the quality of the genestealer player.

With someone using very straightforward and uncreative strategies (or poor positioning), I tend not to be terribly pressured for time. It's trivial to position against, and when things go wrong, bad luck is usually what kills you, rather than mistakes on your part.

However, against good and sneaky players, the time pressure matters. That is when it becomes and issue.

neXus6
04-09-2009, 09:02
I've not played yet but that is really what I was thinking would be the case.

In terms of the learning curve to begin with the Genestealer player will probably have an advantage getting away with simple tactics till the Terminator player really gets to grips with the missions and tactics.

A friend asked me that once the Terminator player learned the missions and tactics wouldn't they simply always win, and I really think that is where the time limit comes in. If you can fill the board with potential threats then the Terminator player is going to have to make decisions, and decisions take time, and if the time runs out or you're rushed into making the wrong decision then it can all come crashing down.

Which I think all adds to the game. :D

keatsmeister
04-09-2009, 11:05
For me, a lot of the time I'm using up is simply down to having to glance at the rules every now and then, but even so, once you get to using all 12 Marines, it gets a bit tight, especially if the Stealers have used the multiple entry points wisely

USABOB
04-09-2009, 21:16
Did anyone time their timer?:p
Mine is 3 minutes and 16 seconds.

Guerillaboy
04-09-2009, 21:20
Did anyone time their timer?:p
Mine is 3 minutes and 16 seconds.

mine comes in at like 2m 35s

Khaunshar
04-09-2009, 23:02
The timer is actually a weapon in the arsenal of the Genestealer. (Right next to teeth, claws, talons and bad attitude) As the Genestealer player, you have to try and give the Space Marine hard choices, instead of playing straightforward. Sounds more complicated than it is really, but we had a lot of Space Hulk going on today here, and many games I watched (not my own though) the Genestealers played very straightforward, changed their blips into Stealers really early, and generally played without much in the way of trickyness.

At least the first missions can be played like that, but then become more of a puzzle to the Space Marine, than a tactical challenge. Basically, if the Stealer plays "Mass Stealers, then rush down at critical mass hopefully to start the avalanche of dead marines", it often comes down to maybe one or two "solutions" to the mission for the Space Marine. If he figures these out, and the dice are not abysmally evil to him, he will win almost all the time.

I would say when you reach that point, you have reached the first plateau for your Space Hulk skill. Check out the Space Hulk Tactica thread to see a discussion between me and others for exactly that scenario in the very first mission. If the Stealer behaves straightforward, logically and predictable, it becomes a puzzle most of the time, because these missions really are designed very well.

However, once you reach that point in your game, and your opponent too, in order to get better chances at winning, you have to throw off their game. The timer is for that. Missions with 10 or even 12 Marines where the Stealer behaves unpredictably, or tries something strange, suddenly the timer does matter. Suddenly you make mistakes.

I dont see it happening much in the 5 Marine missions though.

xxRavenxx
04-09-2009, 23:03
We timed the one in the shop at 5mins 15 seconds yesterday... We thusly dont bother using it.

athamas
04-09-2009, 23:10
3:20 for me...

neXus6
04-09-2009, 23:11
Thanks Khaunshar, I'm glad to see my theory on how it would work out seems to be correct in practice from someone who's actually played and watched games being played at various skill levels.

I am tempted to try the game out with various timers, 2, 3 and 5 minute ones, just to see what does indeed work best and if they make any change to the positive. Infact I'm tempted to try and come up with a fair system for variable times, something like if there are very few blips the marine player gets more time, but as the blip numbers, and the threat rises the time drops.

Sleby
05-09-2009, 00:39
My timer is 3 minutes and 15 seconds.

Christine
05-09-2009, 09:23
A 5 minute timer? Crikey looks like there's a lot of variation in them!

doghouse
05-09-2009, 11:26
I'll personally just buy a cheap digital stop watch. You can pick them up for a fiver on some sites.
Ideally you want sometime like one of those timers they use in chess with a big face so you can see the seconds ticking away...

neXus6
05-09-2009, 11:27
For one that small to run for 5 minutes there must be a mismould in the neck so that it's a heck of a lot smaller an opening than it should be.
:p

Christine
05-09-2009, 12:42
Well I timed mine this morning after the game arrived and it comes in at about 3 minutes which is good.