PDA

View Full Version : Space Hulk Genestealer Trivia Question

Phantomworks
05-09-2009, 16:54
Hi

Excuse my noobish question, but I am really interested in knowing what Hive Fleet the classic Purple/Blueish denotes?

Thanks!
G

snottlebocket
05-09-2009, 17:51
Hive fleet leviathan I think.

doghouse
05-09-2009, 18:13
I'm not sure that it's ever named as a fleet colourscheme.

It's definately not Krakken. Leviathan or Behemoth though as they are pictured in the codex and look nothing like the blue purple guys.

Bregalad
05-09-2009, 18:17
Actually the Space Hulk game predates the first Tyranid Codex by 6 years and the first official Tyranid text by 3 years ("Tyranids and the Hive Fleets", Rick Priestley, Rogue Trader 1992). First there were Genestealers in this painting scheme 1989, then Hybrids (in "Genestealer" SH expansion 1990) and Genestealer cults (metal), then Warriors in a different red painting scheme in the "Advanced Space Hulk" expansion (1990), then the first Gaunts and Zoats in metal IIRC. So Genestealers are a direct "homage" to the alien movies and older than the concept of Tyranids. But the first Codex links them to the Hive Fleet Behemoth, the red one with blue carapace.

Patriarch
05-09-2009, 18:23
Actually the Space Hulk game predates the first Tyranid Codex by 6 years. First there were Genestealers in this painting scheme, then Hybrids (in expansion) and Genestealer cults (metal), then Warriors in a different red painting scheme in a Space Hulk expansion, then the first Gaunts and Zoats in metal IIRC. So Genestealers are a direct "homage" to the alien movies and older than the concept of Tyranids. But the first Codex links them to the Hive Fleet Behemoth, the red one with blue carapace.
Both are present (though unrelated to each other, and just about recognisable to the modern versions) in the RT book, so they both appeared in 40k at the same time.

doghouse
05-09-2009, 18:27
Yeah stealers were around before the Nids showed up so it could have been a much earlier fleet than Behemoth. Some lifeforms such as the Catachan Devil are believed to be stable Nid strains from earlier incursions.
The original RT era stealers before space hulk came along were green and yellow I think?

Hellebore
06-09-2009, 06:33
They had wierd yellow stripes on their heads, but I don't think they were actually green and yellow?

I would just leave the blue and purple as the standard infiltrator stealer colour scheme, universal across all hive fleets. Light absorbing colours that allow them to blend into the darkness where they hide.

I can't see Behemoth or Leviathan genestealers infiltrating imperial society very well in those gharish colours.

Hellebore

precinctomega
06-09-2009, 07:00
Space Hulk predated (just) the "red" phase of GW's painting studio. When Tyranid Warriors returned in Advanced Space Crusade (and the origins of genestealers were revealed) the Warriors were all sorts of bright, eye-searing colours. Stealers, up to that point, had all been purple.

I seem to recall a WD piece that suggested that vanguard organisms like stealers and lictors could be almost any colour but that, when they rejoined the main fleet, they changed to adopt the fleet colours.

So the purple stealers could have been from almost any hive fleet, but were purple because... well, maybe it's a good colour for concealment in dark, gloomy space hulks?

R.

Charax
06-09-2009, 08:29
It's strongly implied that Genestealers evolved on Tiamet, so presumably the purple stealers would belong to whatever Hive Fleet seeded Tiamet with Tyranid life - which may well be one that is still outside the galaxy.

AndrewGPaul
06-09-2009, 10:16
Tiamet? Only mention of that is Codex:Tyranids, where it's speculated that the deathworlds there are evolved from Tyranid organisms. Genestealers were originally thought to be from a moon of Ymgarl, until they turned up in Hive Fleets. How they got to Ymgarl in the first place is still unknown. The Ymgarl 'stealers used a native worm as a host, and had lamprey-like heads.

destroyerlord
06-09-2009, 10:59
I thought the Ymgarl heads were the tendril ones, currently seen on lictors and in limited numbers in the genestealers boxed set.

ml2sjw
06-09-2009, 11:16
Sort of
http://n2.nabble.com/file/n1082826/GS%2Bconversion%2B1.jpeg

the original art is in the top right hand corner

Lord Damocles
06-09-2009, 11:20
Tiamet? Only mention of that is Codex:Tyranids, where it's speculated that the deathworlds there are evolved from Tyranid organisms. Genestealers were originally thought to be from a moon of Ymgarl, until they turned up in Hive Fleets. How they got to Ymgarl in the first place is still unknown. The Ymgarl 'stealers used a native worm as a host, and had lamprey-like heads.
Well, given that the details of Tiamet are under the title of 'Forgotton Fleets' in Codex: Tyranids, we might reasonably conclude that the creatures found there were in fact derived from Tyranid organisms.

It's also believed that Genestealers got from Tiamet to Ymgarl 'carried inside the hulls of vessels which had been sent to destroy them' (Codex: Tyrands (4th ed.), pg.24).

torn
06-09-2009, 11:29
Space Hulk predated (just) the "red" phase of GW's painting studio. When Tyranid Warriors returned in Advanced Space Crusade (and the origins of genestealers were revealed) the Warriors were all sorts of bright, eye-searing colours. Stealers, up to that point, had all been purple.

I seem to recall a WD piece that suggested that vanguard organisms like stealers and lictors could be almost any colour but that, when they rejoined the main fleet, they changed to adopt the fleet colours.

So the purple stealers could have been from almost any hive fleet, but were purple because... well, maybe it's a good colour for concealment in dark, gloomy space hulks?

R.

I agree with this statement. Hulk stealers arent part of a hive fleet, or they would be in that hive fleet not on said hulk drifting in the warp for millenia. Thats not saying they never left or cant join a hive fleet, but at present they are alone on the hulk.

edit: also you have to remember when the first stealers were painted they were porbably given to the 'eavy metal team, who then decided what colours would look good for an alien that lurks in the darkness of a derelict spaceship. I would say the original colour scheme has no relation to anything else in the grand scheme of things.

grimcrazy
06-09-2009, 17:46
did i read somewhere that the blue-purple genestealers were a specially adapted nomadic strain?

i think they explained the yellow markings that they put on the heads of the old tyranid genestealers as birth marks...

AndrewGPaul
06-09-2009, 19:02
Norn Queen markings, showing which hiveship they were from. The Warriors, Hunter-Slayers and Screamer-Killers had similar markings.

IAMNOTHERE
06-09-2009, 19:13
Both Nids and stealers are in the original RT but they don't have any connection there. That came later.

doghouse
06-09-2009, 19:20
I remember those Norn Queen markings. They re-did my favourite Genestealer cult picture and airbrushed the markings in.

AndrewGPaul
06-09-2009, 19:34
Which pic was that?

wolf40k
06-09-2009, 19:56
I think the blue/Purple design just hapens to be the genestelers color sceme in 2nd edition, when everything was multicolored and every brood had its own color scheme, I still remember the horror of the multicolored neon hive tyrant.:eek:

wolf40k
06-09-2009, 19:57
I think the blue/Purple design just happens to be the genestelers color scheme in 2nd edition, when everything was multicolored and every brood had its own color scheme, I still remember the horror of the multicolored neon hive tyrant.:eek:

grimcrazy
06-09-2009, 20:03
that was the cartoon era when tyranids went from dinousaors to techno-colored grinning insects!

those norm queen markings - when badly painted they looked like a blond fringe...

AndrewGPaul
06-09-2009, 23:27
Looking back at 2nd edition Codex: Tyranids, blue/purple seems to be an unoficcial "infiltrators" scheme - the Lictors and Hormagaunts were also in blue and purple.

Hive Tyrants also had purplish armour plates, but they were a little more multi-coloured overall.

Patriarch
07-09-2009, 23:09
Which pic was that?

This is the one with the tattoos (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/Genestealer%20Hybrid/GenestealerCultArt.jpg) (nicked from CMDante's plog (www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195336))

grimcrazy
08-09-2009, 09:04
why the black claws on the new stealers?

wolf40k
08-09-2009, 18:13
why the black claws on the new stealers?

Why not? My dog, a Black Lab, has black claws, many lizards have black claws, I think its kind of cool.

philbrad2
08-09-2009, 18:45
I thought the Ymgarl heads were the tendril ones, currently seen on lictors and in limited numbers in the genestealers boxed set.

Indeed they were. The original Stealers from RT were first encountered near Ymgarl and thought to be indigenous Xenos, its only with the emergence and SH that they became Tyranid. The scheme just seems to have evolved into the original 2nd ed codex Nids. There was no set scheme for hive/splinter fleets then those only came along with 3rd ed codex.

PhilB
:chrome:

AndrewGPaul
08-09-2009, 22:59
Not quite. The original 'stealer heads looked like this:

http://n2.nabble.com/file/n1082826/GS%2Bconversion%2B1.jpeg (top left). short tentacles round a lamprey-like mouth, not tentacles hanging down from its top lip.

Hatemonger
09-09-2009, 02:49
When Tyranid Warriors returned in Advanced Space Crusade (and the origins of genestealers were revised)
Fixed your typo. ;)

GW can RetCon anything, but I think merging 'stealers into Tyranids - along with the entire vanguard/wave concept - is one of the better ones.

Saying the Ymgarl variant had feeder tendrils was a nice way to close the loop.

- H8

WildAnimal
09-09-2009, 05:14
I have a very small Tyranid army, which I also painted the Classic Purple/dark blue. I was thinking about painting my entire hive fleet in green colours. But it was just to boring. And they would not really get the "alien" inspired look