PDA

View Full Version : Space Hulk Novel

CMDante
05-09-2009, 18:52
Has anyone actually received this yet?

I put an order in for it with the boxed set but it didn't come, the order sheet says it hasn't been dispatched yet. I tried to have a look on the GW site to see when its supposed to be released but it doesn't seem to even be there anymore.

Anyone know what the deal is?

Cheers,

Dante

JCOLL
05-09-2009, 18:56
I pre-ordered SH and the Novel. They both arrived on Tuesday this week. I haven't heard of any problems with it. The book is kind of disapointing... It's only a little over 100 pages long and not much development of characters. They get right to the killing. Still not done with it, but hopefully it gets better :(. Oh well.

Mega Nutz
05-09-2009, 18:58
Picked mine up at my local GW this morning, they had stacks!

LonelyPath
05-09-2009, 22:08
Is this the same novel that came out years ago or a new one?

hendybadger
05-09-2009, 22:10
I ordered one with my copy of SH. GW sent me a 3 refund about 4 days ago and didnt send it.
My local GW store had a whole pile today.

Urath
05-09-2009, 22:48
Is this the same novel that came out years ago or a new one?

It's a new version written by Gav Thorpe.

Duce
07-09-2009, 08:36
i recieved mine after ordering it form BL, was worried since it disappeared form the site, but it arrived before weekend so i'm happy that it does exist.

Petay1985
07-09-2009, 10:45
arrived before the game and i ordered them together :)

Imperialis_Dominatus
08-09-2009, 04:25
Meh. Blew through it in a couple hours. Nothing special- except a few token BA details thrown in in such a manner as to "get them off the checklist" any other Chapter could have been involved.

Inquis. Jaeger
09-09-2009, 10:17
Read it yesterday. Not bad in terms of action - follows the storyline of the Campaign in the game. Unfortunately, Gav was obviously given no page room or brief to develop the BA in any way - vast majority of BA dialogue centres around stock phrases of "Praise the Angel!" etc Although seeing the route James Swallow took to develop the BA, maybe this isn't a bad thing.

***SPOILERS***

I'm still scratching my head over the '950 dead BA in 996.M40' though. Why retcon in such a ridiculously high bodycount? Surely the very near destruction of one of the oldest and most revered and noble of SM chapters would have been noted before this? Plus, I thought there was a critical low point of numbers beyond which it became impossible for a SM chapter to replenish its losses? Especially when you lose 5-10% of your battle-brothers to the Black Rage every battle. Presumably the Mechanicum and BA Successors stepped in to supply fresh gene-seed. Still, why not say it was the 1st and 3rd Companies that got slotted or something equally monumental. 95% of the Chapter is ridiculous.

Brother Loki
09-09-2009, 11:29
Wasn't the 950 dead referred to in the original Space Hulk back in 1989? I don't think its a new bit of fluff necessarily.

Condottiere
09-09-2009, 12:04
***SPOILERS***

I'm still scratching my head over the '950 dead BA in 996.M40' though. Why retcon in such a ridiculously high bodycount? Surely the very near destruction of one of the oldest and most revered and noble of SM chapters would have been noted before this? Plus, I thought there was a critical low point of numbers beyond which it became impossible for a SM chapter to replenish its losses? Especially when you lose 5-10% of your battle-brothers to the Black Rage every battle. Presumably the Mechanicum and BA Successors stepped in to supply fresh gene-seed. Still, why not say it was the 1st and 3rd Companies that got slotted or something equally monumental. 95% of the Chapter is ridiculous.So it's confirmed 95% fatalities in that one campaign?

GirathonB
09-09-2009, 14:31
I'm still scratching my head over the '950 dead BA in 996.M40' though. Why retcon in such a ridiculously high bodycount? Surely the very near destruction of one of the oldest and most revered and noble of SM chapters would have been noted before this? Plus, I thought there was a critical low point of numbers beyond which it became impossible for a SM chapter to replenish its losses? Especially when you lose 5-10% of your battle-brothers to the Black Rage every battle. Presumably the Mechanicum and BA Successors stepped in to supply fresh gene-seed. Still, why not say it was the 1st and 3rd Companies that got slotted or something equally monumental. 95% of the Chapter is ridiculous.
It is the Black Rage that allows this to not be the death of the Blood Angel Chapter, even with 95% casulities to the chapter. Because they lose a minimum of 5% of any given force to the Rage and Thirst, the Blood Angels have a rediculusly high recruitment rate. Assuming the geneseed was recovered, of course.

What I really enjoyed was reading about Mephiston before he fell to the Black Rage. Yes, the Librarian in Space Hulk is Mephiston.

wilsongrahams
09-09-2009, 16:28
Never got my pre-ordered copy but bought one in store anyway to make sure I got one. I figured better to have two than none. Haven't heard about my original order yet.

Loved the book, but was short. It closely follows the missions. I thought the effects of the artifact were very well described - like Corbulo's Red Grail.

Wasn't too impressed by the 950 dead myself - these are supposed to be marines after all, but it is kinda explained away and I assume a few of them were serfs and techies etc anyway.

What comes out in the new codex will be interesting as I'm sure they'll link it in with the rest of the 40k fluff.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
09-09-2009, 16:41
***SPOILERS***

This wasn't really a spoiler as its mentioned in the Space Hulk game's background material as well. I agree, though, that 95% of the chapter getting roasted, especially to one Genestealer infestation, is just lame. It honestly makes the Blood Angels look like a second rate chapter...

bananaman
09-09-2009, 19:09
The bodycount is 20 years old now, it's always been in the fluff.

The reason they got their asses kicked was because the 'Stealers were a new threat at the time and little or nothing was known of their capabilities. They went in unprepared and paid for it. (majority)Power armoured marines aboard a hulk vs Genestealers? Yummy. That's why only Terminator armour is used in Space Hulk boarding actions now.

Also bear in mind there were something like 30,000 'Stealers aboard the Sin of Damnation.

FerociousBeast
09-09-2009, 19:54
950 marines died, 12,000 genestealers died. That kill ratio isn't bad, especially given the claustrophobic confines of a space hulk.

hereticdave
09-09-2009, 21:01
I got it with my order no problem, about 2/3 the way through it. It's enjoyable, don't expect some great tome dedicated to it, it's just an expansion of the mission background that gives a good feel of the hulk and fighting within. Just like the AoBR companion novel, it gives a taste of the background over and above the set. Pretty good idea really and for those introductory sets i wouldn't be surprised if they chucked them in with at some point

CMDante
09-09-2009, 21:08
Still not received my copy, guess it isn't coming. Wouldn't surprise me really given the dire nature of GW's customer service these days.

I still haven't even received the most recent issue of White Dwarf on my 1 year subscription which started this June. I've phoned them 3 times and twice was given the number for the distributors and told to phone them. The third time I was told they would send me a free copy (odd given that I'm Fing paying for it!) yet even that has yet to appear and its been over a week.

What happened to the days when GW used to have great customer service and offer some freebies as compensation (of sorts)?

Off-topic moan ends.

hereticdave
09-09-2009, 21:16
Well oddly enough - i've not received my September copy of WD either. If it's not in the mailbox tonight i'll be giving them a call. I'm really looking forward to the SH article.

Gorthaur
10-09-2009, 00:25
im almost done with it, it has been better than I expected with alot of action too.

torn
10-09-2009, 05:15
my copy was cancelled and refunded from my order, so i e-mailed to ask why and they said so my hulk game got dispatched ASAP, and to re-order the book seperate on the monday.

I got it cos im into space hulk, but im not expecting much from a novel written by gav thorpe. in my opinion he writes great background books and should stick to that.

edit: ive actually started reading this, up to about page 40. I have so far read through missions 1-3 in the mission book. no more narrative than that, and only slight dialogue. there seems to be no further explanation of why the blood angels are there than in the mission book. In fact this just seems a longer version. hopefully it will pick up.