PDA

View Full Version : First mission the hardest?

UberBeast
05-09-2009, 19:23
My friends and I have played the first mission several times now and nobody can win with the terminators. No matter how hard we've tried the genestealers keep trashing those poor terminators, especially the vulnerable flamer. Is anyone else having this trouble?

I would be interested in learning just how people are winning with the terminator side.

imcdonnell
05-09-2009, 19:46
I did win on my second attempt - I covered the rear with one termonator and then the rest went forward with the Sgt covering the front and the flamer 3rd.

Practice and an offering to the dice gods may help.

Best of luck

Ian

UberBeast
05-09-2009, 20:01
I did win on my second attempt - I covered the rear with one termonator and then the rest went forward with the Sgt covering the front and the flamer 3rd.

Practice and an offering to the dice gods may help.

Best of luck

Ian

We keep having trouble with the left fork in the passage where the door blocks LOS down the hallway. There is almost always a genestealer hanging either behind the door or around the corner making it a deathtrap for a terminator unless he has a huge stash of action points and some good luck up his sleeve.

Dezartfox
05-09-2009, 20:05
Shoot doors as you move forward, leaving a terminator covering each entry point as you go along, hopefully that'll keep the stealers at bay.. as long as you get 2 action points you should be ok for overwatch..

IAMNOTHERE
05-09-2009, 20:11
I can't see how your having so much trouble with the first mission.

Some good advice is speed is your friend and don't be afraid to take casualties to get the flamer through.

Typically I have the flamer 3rd or 4th. The first man out goes hell for leather straight down the long corridor, the second likewise, as do 3 & 4 last man out covers the closest corridor.

To get round that corner you've 2 real options, suicide storm bolter or command points and the flamer. Either way a combination of the 2 should work best, get the SB as far forward as possible until he's taken down or gets through, then flame the sections one at a time. Whilst you're doing this move your other SBs on the lower corridor so you can cut off reinforcements.

UberBeast
05-09-2009, 20:49
One of the things we've been doing as the Genestealers is dumping as many blips full of nids on the far end of the board and swamping those corridors early in the game forcing the terminators to avoid rushing into position early in the game. There really isn't much need to pop nids in the right corridor except to threaten the terminators rear and keep one pinned to cover it.

Patriarch
05-09-2009, 21:01
The most useful aspect of the flamer isn't that it kills lots of stuff in one go (although that's great when it happens), it is that it blocks movement for a whole turn. You can keep targetting empty sections to keep your flamer advance free if it helps. Just remember to keep your last shot free for the room!

UberBeast
05-09-2009, 21:09
It may just be that we haven't mastered the playstyle of the terminators as quickly as we've taken to the genestealers.

IAMNOTHERE
05-09-2009, 21:59
One of the things we've been doing as the Genestealers is dumping as many blips full of nids on the far end of the board and swamping those corridors early in the game forcing the terminators to avoid rushing into position early in the game. There really isn't much need to pop nids in the right corridor except to threaten the terminators rear and keep one pinned to cover it.

For a lot of these missons the termies need speed. Your very action of swamping the area is exactly why the termies need to get there quickly.

I know you can't touch my termies for the first 3 turns so my leading termy should be 12 squares down the corridor. Unless you start throwing blips on that bottom left entry area to distract me I'm motoring.

Here's a tactic you can use if you have spare command points, it works really well for the Sgt. After the stealer player has moved into the square in front of you and you've fired on over watch (at the end of the stealer move), if you havn't killed the stealer spend 2 CP and go into guard mode.

Now instead of being 1d6, it's 1d6+1 re-rolling your dice and the stealers highest. If that doesn't get you through that corridor I don't know what will.

torn
05-09-2009, 22:17
I also agree that what you need to win the first mission is speed and lucky rolls shooting doors down. In any missions getting rid of doors is important for the marine player because it means blips have to convert, and overwatch can be put to best effect.

Me and my opponent both won on our second try as the marines, basically removing the door on the corner, and using the flamer to block sections to keep up an advance works well, and dont slot down to cover the first genestealer entry corridor, it will take a stealer 2 turns to get down it, so use the last man.

mission II started off easy for me as the stealer, taking out 4 marines and leaving one like this

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/ir0n_m4n/minis/DSC00093.jpg

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/ir0n_m4n/minis/DSC00092.jpg

but then he killed all my stealer using overwatch and all his command points unjamming his gun!

Znail
05-09-2009, 22:35
We keep having trouble with the left fork in the passage where the door blocks LOS down the hallway. There is almost always a genestealer hanging either behind the door or around the corner making it a deathtrap for a terminator unless he has a huge stash of action points and some good luck up his sleeve.

Its pretty easy realy, all you need to do is remember that this is a critical problem to solve so the terminator with that job is the one that needs basicly all the command points you get for the first 3 turns. But unless you are realy unlucky so should you be able to get to the L-corridor and have points left to clear the corridor. An average amount of CP's will even get you there on turn 2 ready and waiting for the stealers to run into the kill zone.

You also got more Terminators then you absolutly need as its a very compact map, so you can lose some and still manage. Bad luck with CP's are the one thing that can turn this map into a real challange, but its still possible to eek out a win with some finesse.

Hellebore
06-09-2009, 00:32
First time I played it the dice hated me. I expended EIGHT action/command points just to kill one genestealer (it was in front of the sarge so if I didn't kill it it would have plowed through him and the flamer behind him)

The next time I played I won the game with 0 casualties. The flamer is extremely useful at blocking the intersection in the middle between the room and the stealer entry point.

I put him there for a few turns and had the sargeant go up the left and clear out that area.

Actually, I technically killed the sargeant to complete the mission (he was in front of the flamer and opened the door into the room and walked in to give him los), but then we rewinded from there to see if I could get the sergeant out and still flame the room. Which I did (in 1 turn no less).

I do think it's one of the harder missions though. You need a fair amount of luck to survive.

Hellebore