PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the tiles in good condition

Commiesalami
05-09-2009, 22:46
People talk about how their old copy of space hulk is still after 10+ years. Is there any tips for keeping the Space Hulk Tiles and card in good condition? (Ignoring the obvious: storing them properly, don't use them as a high-fiber snack)

I've heard using super glue on the edges of the tiles helps.

Wicksy
05-09-2009, 23:03
Thats an idea. I may try a thin veneer of PVA on the edges. It'd have to be thin though otherwise the pieces may not fit together well.

torn
05-09-2009, 23:34
PVA warps paper and card, so i wouldnt do that. you can get stuff called office glue by UHU which doesnt warp paper but its quite thick and sticky, like school glue. I am hoping on safe storage being the key.

Znail
05-09-2009, 23:47
Hmm, GW sells varnish in small pots (same type as their colors) and that should work I think to seal edges without warping them. Superglue should work too thou.

Commiesalami
06-09-2009, 01:24
I just treated two tiles with zap-a-gap. It causes a very small, virtually unnoticeable expansion of the card that makes it hard to fit two sections together. But this is fixed by running hobby knife along the edge like you would remove mold lines.

Znail - I got a pot of 'ard coat I guess Ill try that next.

Znail
06-09-2009, 01:46
Hmm, if superglue warped them then I am a bit worried about the varnish. I think you may have used too much glue as you only need a very small amount.

paulsongames
06-09-2009, 08:34
Pic up hard coat from Gw then paint the edges with it. Or pick up a bottle of clear nail polish.

Super glue will soak into the paper and cause it to split it can also get white vapor marks all over the edges. White glue will cause the paper to warp and get wrinkles on the eges.

Wicksy
06-09-2009, 08:57
Thanks for the advice guys!

Emperors Teeth
06-09-2009, 10:10
I'm going to use a mix of Chaos Black and GW Gloss varnish for my edges. I may switch colours for the purple arrows etc though...

I swear in ages gone by they suggested painting the edges of your cardboard Necromunda terrain in WD. Looked really good.

Narius Phinshredder
06-09-2009, 12:41
Has anyone noticed the battlefoam tray inserts for the SH box? Can you get them anywhere in the UK, (Shipping and all bumps it up to $52)

rev
06-09-2009, 13:06
elastic band them together and keep them in the box. worked for me with 1st ed I was using it up till a fortnight ago...

nedius
06-09-2009, 13:26
Has anyone noticed the battlefoam tray inserts for the SH box? Can you get them anywhere in the UK, (Shipping and all bumps it up to $52)

I support this request! Maybe we should bug Battlefoam to push distribution over here in the UK!

Patriarch
06-09-2009, 17:41
I didn't do anything to my original tiles. They lasted fine all these years without any special treatment (including several years in my Dad's garden shed) with no problem at all.

I'm not sure treating them helps, and might actually make things worse (see warping comments above).

squilverine
06-09-2009, 17:56
PVA glue will certainly warp the tiles so don't use that, also unless you have a very steady hand using super glue risks getting blobs on the picture sections.

I did hear of someone using a sharpie marker to darken the edges and then varnish to seal them.

Keeping similar sections together with rubber bands is a good idea.

To be honest I will leave them as they are, store them in a dry place, away from direct sunlight and smoke. I store all of my games this way and they have lasted and remained in great condition for years.

snottlebocket
06-09-2009, 18:19
I haven't taken any protective measures (yet) but I have used a marker to blacken the edges. Huge improvement.

Jagged
07-09-2009, 12:23
When I bought my 1st Edition Space Hulk I bought some extra card so that when I popped the tiles out of their sheet I could back the sheet and spacers onto card. Thus making a kind of tray all the bits could go.

I also numbered the backs of the tiles and the matching slot in the trays.

Not only has that kept the tiles in good knick it also meant I didn't lose any when gaming at a mates house.

Not as sure whether it will work with the new set since they have that nice smooth backing. We shall see.

KroSha
07-09-2009, 12:44
That's an excellent idea. After they've been popped, carefully peel one of the shiney sides off the surrounds and then glue to a piece of card. Instant retainer for board sections.

fiore hellheart
07-09-2009, 15:56
Just as a question how thick are the tiles?

snottlebocket
07-09-2009, 16:05
Just as a question how thick are the tiles?

3 millimeters, quite thick for cardstock.

fiore hellheart
07-09-2009, 16:18
3 millimeters, quite thick for cardstock.

Cool thanks.