PDA

View Full Version : Rules questions.

Lothar Hex
06-09-2009, 06:49
Sorry for this basic question but what exactly is the flamer's area of effect in a corridor section? Does it sweep up through and entire corridor, or just the actual piece section it hits?

Lothar Hex
06-09-2009, 06:52
Sorry again. I should have posted this in the main rules thread.

UberBeast
06-09-2009, 17:00
The flamer hits nine squares. The one it's centered on and the 8 touching it.

AndrewGPaul
06-09-2009, 19:50
Sigh. No it doesn't. It affects one map section, like it clearly states on page 21 of the rulebook. This means it affects between 1 and 13 squares, depending on the size of the section you fire it into. The only possible confusion is pages 4 and 6 calling them board sections and page 21 calling them map sections.

The physical size of the flame token is irrelevant - note that even though it would overlap a 1-square board section, it still only affects that one board section if that was the target.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
06-09-2009, 20:54
The flamer hits nine squares. The one it's centered on and the 8 touching it.

No, you are wrong. See the post below yours for the correct method.

neXus6
07-09-2009, 08:27
On my reading of the rules I thought a "board section" would be the actual piece it is placed on.

Thinking about it that doesn't seem quite right as it would mean you only marked 1 square of a single square piece, but 13 squares seems a massive area to block if you can get the shot off.

AndrewGPaul
07-09-2009, 08:39
Yes, that's the case. As you say, the flamer rules say "map section". Other than quibbling over "map section" vs "board section", I simply cannot see what other interpretation there is.

PeeKay
07-09-2009, 10:48
I read it to be the title section (board section). It would either effect a 1 square board section or up to the 13 square room section.

The size doesn't really matter (really?). The genestealer play will need to be pretty bad to fill a 13 square room with blips and the Marine player will probably never shoot a 1 square title section. Most times it will be the a junction or a room or a long (3/4) corridor section.

neXus6
07-09-2009, 14:51
I forgot there was now a 13 square room, I had some nightmare vision of a 13 square corridor across multiple "board pieces" all being ablaze from one shot.

I am no longer confused without knowing it.
:D

So yah, if you fire it into a room, whole room is on fire, if you drop it onto a 5 square corridor piece that piece is on fire...and if you fired it into an alcove or single square piece it would just be that one square filled to the ceiling with gel.
:)

torn
07-09-2009, 21:36
it also becomes apparent why in come cases instead of using a 4 peice long corridor it is split into 2 sections of 2. Going against a flamer really makes you think as the stealer player, as you have to decide if its worth grouping up for more chances at getting close next turn, or if you split up giving the flamer multiple targets but at the same time slowing yourself down.

PeeKay
08-09-2009, 08:46
However, it does make the game slighty unrealistic.

Say you have a 2 title corridor section and then you have 2 blips on either side of the join. Only one would be flamed the other would not be affected.

IAMNOTHERE
08-09-2009, 09:56
However, it does make the game slighty unrealistic.

I'm sorry mate but this made me chuckle. :D We're talking about a game set 38000 years in the future represtented byt plastic aliens and 3m tall genetically enhanced supermen. :D

I prefer to think that the stealer in front is taking one for the team. :angel:

neXus6
08-09-2009, 10:03
It is still the players choice to fire it though, in that situation it would probably be better to stormbolter one of them then flame the other.

Really it doesn't seem unrealistic, there could be numerous reasons, from the firer making sure that area stays lit, to that particular area having lots of broken pipes and stuff that block the gel from continuing.

It's not that big a deal, to me atleast, and I can't see it being a problem as you're always going to know it when you select your target.

PeeKay
08-09-2009, 10:08
I'm sorry mate but this made me chuckle. :D We're talking about a game set 38000 years in the future represtented byt plastic aliens and 3m tall genetically enhanced supermen. :D

Yeh, sounds normal to me. Just an average day :)

wilsongrahams
10-09-2009, 12:04
neXus6 has it right. Just imagine those frames at the edges of the board peices are sticking out and with the stealer blocking it nothing got past, or that there was nothing to burn and the gel got flung into a grill or something and there's a barbeque going on three decks down...
Tactics wise, you know the rules, so you choose when to fire. It may be annoying but it is more FUN this way as you have to think!