PDA

View Full Version : new Space Hulk: impressions?

Victomorga
06-09-2009, 16:46
I've been away from the hobby for a few months now, so forgive me if this is old hat.

How is the new Space Hulk game?

I'd like to hear all about it from people who have played, and after a quick look didn't see any threads about it.

1) what is the average game duration?

2) are the models scaled to standard 40k models (I figure they are, but was a little perplexed by the apparent lack of standard bases)?

3) how is it? does it play well?

4) strengths /weaknesses of game play?

5) how limited is this limited release?

6) in your opinion, is it worth $100?

thanks for any input.

SPYDER68
06-09-2009, 17:14
I got it last week for a wedding gift from friends and so far.

1) not sure havent played alot of games to know depends on the mission it seems.

2) yes they are scaled close enough to 40k

3) Its alot of fun.

4) Depends on the mission

5) If its like last space hulk, we wont see one for 5-10 years most likely leaning toward the far end of 10 or so.

6) very much so if you plan on using models in 40k games, if not, that is a toss up and i dont think i would spend the money on it.

Alessander
06-09-2009, 17:15
1) 1-2 hours
2) Same size, but with no bases so they can still fit on a 1"x1" square. Genestealers have a lot of terrain molded with them so using them in 40K will hurt with TLOS.
3,4) It's more like 1st edition Space Hulk than 2nd edition. More steamlined psyker powers though.
5) GW's already sold out. They won't sell this version again.
6) If you've never played SH, it's worth it. If you already have one of the previous editions, only reason to get it is the new sculpts which are nice. For 10 terminators and a dozen+ stealers, it's a good deal.

Omniassiah
06-09-2009, 17:53
1- Depends on mission 1-2 hours is about right
2- Effectively 40k scale Genestealers are going to be a bit odd with TLOS
3- Plays fairly well
4- It really hasn't changed much from the old Space hawk.
6- If you know "Higher end" board games such as Twilight Imperium, Arkham Horror or Descent its very much on par with those games price and quality wise. IF you have not played games like that then while the cost may be a bit of a sticker shock its exactly on industry standard for a game with what is included and the quality of said parts.

Lord Damocles
06-09-2009, 18:05
after a quick look didn't see any threads about it.
http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Imperius
06-09-2009, 21:09
My first impression is that, I would rather have a game of Dungeons and Dragons over Space Hulk, I just don't really like it..

(Sets up a wall to protect from Space Hulk mania...)

Souleater
06-09-2009, 21:13

Only question that needs answering.

YES.

Draquenoire
06-09-2009, 21:27
The 12 terminators alone are worth 100 dollars. They are absolutely stunning.

winterdyne
06-09-2009, 21:40
It's pure space hulk. I loved 1st edition (pre Deathwing / Genestealer) and this is basically a return to that. It's pure, bloody hard, tense and brilliant fun. Missions seem to favour the 'stealers for the most part (so there'll be a lot of comparing kill-ratios to determine a 'winner').

The figures are fantastic but definitely not for total noobs to try and assemble. Good clippers and patience are required. The 'stealer claws are damn sharp. I had a miscast 'stealer on one sprue, but I should get a replacement sprue through the mail soon (according to customer service).

The board (and in fact all the card components) is possibly the thickest bit of card (damn near .25") I've seen come in a game. Should last very well providing it doesn't get beer all over it.

I really wouldn't use the models in normal 40k (unless you have a Blood angels army) - the 'stealers are inappropriately modelled (leaping off terrain features etc). The terminators could all be easily mounted on 40mm bases, but I'd cry (a bit, maybe) if I was asked to convert them - they are that nice. Mine will be remaining purely for Space Hulk games.

philbrad2
06-09-2009, 21:41
A pleasant change from straight 40K. Not much different to the SH I've been playing for a number of years on and off but 10 / 10 for the packaging and minis in this one. Hope this is the first of new crop of game re-release/new releases for GW like the 'good old days' :evilgrin:

PhilB
:chrome:

Vaktathi
06-09-2009, 21:46
I've found it to be pretty fun and very intense, however out of about a dozen games between 4 people, the Space Marines have yet to win, it seems very hard to defeat the Genestealers unless they have limited reinforcements. The average game takes 20-60 minutes, the models are pretty well scaled to 40k, and it was definitely worth $100 in terms of models and tiles.

wolf40k
06-09-2009, 21:48
I got it and enjoyed it, and weather it's a good idea or not I've based my genestealers already for a tyranid army.
V See project log for results. V:rolleyes:

Victomorga
07-09-2009, 18:16
I'm trying to decide whether to buy this game or not.

the thing is I don't have anyone to play 40k with these days, so if I were to pick up SH I would be doing it with the intention of getting non-GW people to play with (I figure board games are easier to sell people on than table top games).

opinions on the appeal to non-gamer types?

precinctomega
07-09-2009, 18:21
The only thing that's left me disappointed about this game is the egg-timer, which broke before I played my first game and leaked sand all over the place.

But everything else is fantastic. You really do have to play each mission twice (each player taking a turn as the Terminators) do get the most out of it.

I'm vaguely planning the first Space Hulk tournament...

R.

R.

torn
07-09-2009, 20:33

the thing is I don't have anyone to play 40k with these days, so if I were to pick up SH I would be doing it with the intention of getting non-GW people to play with (I figure board games are easier to sell people on than table top games).

my space hulk has already had interest from people who neither play wargames or paint miniatures, simply because of the cool board, and when watching us play they see how simple yet tactical it is (although irritatingly asking questions during the marines turn is banned lol)

I havent played with any of those people yet but i am sure to one day. I think it is not only the perfect game to introduce friends to the 40k universe, it is also great fun for people who just think of them as 'aliens and humans'

Cuchulain84
07-09-2009, 20:43
it sounds to me like people are being far too forgiving. Everythread has many, many people claiming miscasts, missing/broken parts etc not to mention one of the genestealer sculpts is inexplicably missing an arm.

To an impartial observer it looks like a bit of a bodge-job.

wolf40k
07-09-2009, 21:04
it sounds to me like people are being far too forgiving. Everythread has many, many people claiming miscasts, missing/broken parts etc not to mention one of the genestealer sculpts is inexplicably missing an arm.

That of course has nothing to do with how fun the game is.
a couple of my genestealers are missing a single claw from their front hands but the game unto itself is quite fun IMO.

Cuchulain84
07-09-2009, 21:07
That of course has nothing to do with how fun the game is.
a couple of my genestealers are missing a single claw from their front hands but the game unto itself is quite fun IMO.

Yeah, I don't doubt that it's great fun. But I was under the impression that the rules are the same from the previous edition, I could be wrong on that assumption though.

wolf40k
07-09-2009, 21:13
Yeah, I don't doubt that it's great fun. But I was under the impression that the rules are the same from the previous edition, I could be wrong on that assumption though.

They are similar but they have had some adjustments like instituting a time limit on the space marines, changing how many genestealers come on at a time, introducing the librarian, and broodlord(which didn't exist during the last edition of the game) and just a general update in the streamlining of the rules.

doghouse
07-09-2009, 21:19
It's a fantastic game. The tile boards are gorgeous despite being card, miniatures are extremely detailed despite the odd moulding flaw here and there and game play is fun and addictive.
It's dead easy to learn as well! You don't even have to paint the miniatures. :)

If this the one and only production run then I'd say buy it, but then again I'd say buy it anyway because it's brilliant.

AndrewGPaul
07-09-2009, 22:11

A dozen or so, at most. The worst I've had is a snapped claw on a 'stealer. Easily fixable, and not worthy, IMO, of complaint.

Patriarch
07-09-2009, 23:29

It's a gateway game. If there is one game which will get non GW types (perhaps including your Significant Other) playing, it's this one. The visual appeal (board and minis) helps, but once suckered in the gameplay usually keeps them. Lord knows how many people the 1st edition brought into GW.

blackbabyjesus
08-09-2009, 11:07
1st edition suckerpunched me hard, even now, 20 years on I'm still spending money on little bits of plastic and tin :(

KRakarth
08-09-2009, 11:15
Got mine, love it to bits. No problems with the minis and I'll be picking up the battlefoam trays as well

PeeKay
08-09-2009, 11:18
It was Heroquest that brought me into this life of GW slavery. I was so happy to get the game for christmas. If I had a time machine ...

shadow hunter
08-09-2009, 11:34
On quality issues, Mine was delivered in perfect condition. Nothing broken, and nothing even detatched from the sprues.

The moldings were all good with no deformaties. And the plastic seemed to me to be as strong as the regular sprues.

I do admit there is the one style of genestealer where the sculptor has missed an arm, but if I hadn't been looking for it I might not have realised. (maybe when I painted them I would have noticed. Who knows) It doesn't look too bad for missing an arm though. Nothing looks odd about it because of the pose it is doing anyway.

KroSha
08-09-2009, 12:00
Which one is this? (I haven't actually opened mine yet)

Daniel36
08-09-2009, 12:19
Personally, it kind of ticked me off to find out that the models were Blood Angels / Blood Ravens. I don't know... I rather decide for myself what Chapter they should come from. I would've liked them better if they were "vanilla" (hate that word), so I could model them any way I would want to myself.

On the other hand, I guess for new players and non-40K players, it's all really cool. If GW is smart they would release this box in regular toy stores as well.

Oh, and I don't believe the whole limited edition thing. That's just a ruse to make everyone buy it instantly. I am not going to fall for that.

shadow hunter
08-09-2009, 12:38
The genestealer with missing arm is the one holding a terminator helmet and stood on some skulls I think. Not entirely sure now without checking.

Theres two of one pose - and two of a mirrored pose (i think these are stood on something different though - but still holding a helmet)

The missing arm seems to be in the socket, but another arm goes over it. When you turn the model upside down, the missing arm doesn't re-appear.

Like I said though - you need to look for it. And its only when upside down you notice it isn't there.

shadow hunter
08-09-2009, 12:42
Yeah - im a little miffed about the BA iconography - but thats only because Im a tight **** and wanted to use them as part of my marine army. (I dont really collect marines - but over time I pick up things like these, black reach etc and have made an army)

Looking at some of the icons though - they could be painted as gems. A lot of the crown/headgear can be removed easily. Its the chest/knee icons that might be more problematic.

shadow hunter
08-09-2009, 12:48
Old KroSha - 08-09-2009, 13:00
Which one is this? (I haven't actually opened mine yet)

this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-new-Space-Hulk-Tyranid-Genestealer-40K_W0QQitemZ170379835514QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Toy s_Wargames_RL?hash=item27ab6df87a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

KroSha
08-09-2009, 13:10
Ta,

(And I'm not that old)

shadow hunter
08-09-2009, 13:16
Sorry, i'm using the mobile style version of the forum (not warseer or portent like I normally do on a pc) and its limited in options. I tried to do a quote, but something obviously went wrong. (I copied and pasted your post).

KroSha
08-09-2009, 13:20
S'ok. It's accurate if not flattering ;)

Urza
08-09-2009, 13:50
Personally, it kind of ticked me off to find out that the models were Blood Angels / Blood Ravens. I don't know... I rather decide for myself what Chapter they should come from. I would've liked them better if they were "vanilla" (hate that word), so I could model them any way I would want to myself.

Yeah - im a little miffed about the BA iconography

The entire premise of the original 1989 version of the game (of which the new release is the 20th Anniversary celebration edition) is that it follows a historic boarding action carried out by the Blood Angels.

Seriously, what else were you expecting to get other than Blood Angels? :wtf:

All that aside, I got my copy last Friday and I absolutely love it. All board sections, models and counters are flawless and look incredible. The original 1st Edition version was my gateway drug to the world of Warhammer 40,000 and 20 years later this release has totally knocked my socks off.

I'm going to be playing it with my girlfriend tonight, she's a 'love it or utterly hate it' kind of a person - so I'm hoping she'll become thoroughly addicted! :)

grimcrazy
08-09-2009, 14:09
Yeah, it was gateway game for the hobby

I remember trying to stage early 40k battles with friends. It was collect a few copies of space hulk together and Genestealers verses everything... :)

shadow hunter
08-09-2009, 14:33
Dont get me wrong - I understand the reason it is Blood angels - and it didn't put me off, even though my brother is blood angels mad. Meaning I have a friendly hatred for them because of it. I was just hoping to be able to use them as marines for my chapter easier. I wasn't expecting so much detail, which makes them look really good. I really like the one ripping open the floor.

Oh, and I've pestered my girlfriend to play. She's not having any of it.

KroSha
08-09-2009, 14:50
So get your brother to buy you a couple of boxes of Termies and then trade.

shadow hunter
08-09-2009, 15:17
He's already bought it too. I say younger brother but he is actually 27. We're off (6 of us) to GW HQ on saturday to play it.

I dont mind using them. I'll just paint them in my colours, and any blood drops I cant remove I will paint as gems or just 'sensor bulges'

StefDa
09-09-2009, 07:13
I've been away from the hobby for a few months now, so forgive me if this is old hat.

How is the new Space Hulk game?

I'd like to hear all about it from people who have played, and after a quick look didn't see any threads about it.

1) what is the average game duration?

2) are the models scaled to standard 40k models (I figure they are, but was a little perplexed by the apparent lack of standard bases)?

3) how is it? does it play well?

4) strengths /weaknesses of game play?

5) how limited is this limited release?

thanks for any input.

1) 10 minutes to 30-45 minutes.

2) Yes, they are, and they are the same plastic as any of GW's models.

3) I was abso-fugging-lutely blown away! I love it, I really do.

4) Strengths - fast gameplay, good rules, action-packed. Weaknesses - It tends to favour one player over another in each mission, in my experience.

5) Totally limited. Sold out now :)

6) I'd have paid more, even though I'm a student.

wilsongrahams
09-09-2009, 16:16
If you think the prices charged for GW's normal mini's are fair, then Space Hulk is a bargain for what you get, so no complaining there.

The rules may be simple, but they beat 40k for playability every time.

9/10 - 10/10. Only issue is the card layers splitting at the joins if you aren't careful as they are tight. A little care and they will loosen up in time.