PDA

View Full Version : 3 players?

Rirekon
08-09-2009, 09:11
So I'm going to be playing a 3 player game of Space Hulk - or at least trying to :)

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions for alterations to manage this? We're going to do one of the missions with two squads (1 player per squad) which instantly makes things simpler - how do people feel about both players sharing the same timer though?

note; this is a group of friends so hopefully any changes which require people to not be idiots will work ok ;)

shadow hunter
08-09-2009, 09:15
I dont see it being an issue really. If each is using a squad - but still sharing the timer, it should be fair. If anything it makes it even harder for the marine player - as each would be wanting to use their own tactics, protect their own squad and save the CP's for themselves.

PeeKay
08-09-2009, 09:17
By "sharing the timer" do you mean doing the moves at the same time? I would avoid this as having 2 players moving the squads is prone to "abuse". I would give each Marine player there own timer.

What are you going to do about Command Points. Are these going to be shared?

shadow hunter
08-09-2009, 09:30
If they each have their own timer - it would be fair to give each player just 1 and a half minutes then. Otherwise the marines are getting extra time. I guess you'd maybe need to try it a couple of times and see how it comes out (trial and error)

KroSha
08-09-2009, 09:34
Get a 2 minute timer to give them a reduced window for playing. I'd also make them split the CPs. Get them to draw alternately and the drawing player gets the extra point if it's an odd score. It does also mean that you get to play each mission 3 times, once with each force.

torn
08-09-2009, 12:25
id say use a digital timer, marine player 1 starts his go and the timer starts at 3 minutes. when he is done stop the timer, and then restart it when marine player 2 is ready. Id also have both players draw command points, but they can only get up to 3 each. (for a total of 6 for both squads). this leaves things fair for the stealer player, and means that the marines dont need to waste time discussing how to use command points.

Rirekon
09-09-2009, 09:37
So we ended up playing Cleanse (the one with two rooms of techmarines that need clearing) - I took the 'Stealers while my two mates took a Marine squad each, we played with the rules straight from the book (1 timer, 1 CP token, 1 Marine moved at a time) and they just organised things between themselves.
It actually worked out really well with no issues what so ever, the timer seemed about right and there were no problems with them sharing the Command Points.

I'd actually recommend it, though only if you're playing with people who you know get on well together heh ;)

On a side note I lost the mission, got a bit over ambitious with my early blips and wasted them. The Flamer is a horrific weapon, they marched him up the corridor with Marines pealing off and sitting on Overwatch to cover other approaches.

Patriarch
09-09-2009, 11:42
Are the marine players competing with each other, or cooperating (like Axis & Allies)?

I've played in a mass space hulk game (1st ed) run by the local GW store - about 20 or so players, a mix of Chaos and Imperial terminators trying to recover Horus' body. It worked fine -the games master controlled the infesting stealers, robot sentries, and Horus (when he woke up). They dispensed with the timer, probably just as well with 20 kids!

I'd leave the marines to sort out the CPs during their own turn, so they have to be careful not to overspend. Same with which marine to activate next and so on. Definately helps if they get on with each other!

wilsongrahams
09-09-2009, 16:22
I'd say that perhaps both players acting together during the standard time limit wouldn't always be a bad thing - sure they can move quicker, but they still have to communicate between each other whereas one player controlling two squads can think faser than two can talk. Also there will be confusion and multiple marines doing the same thing as they rush to do get everyone moved. Command points are the hardest part to solve and I simply suggest scrapping the selection (Which is the same as rolling a D6 and a reroll for Sergeants really) and both having D3 each with a reroll for a sergeant. This means that no man can ever have the full command points spent on him as it's max 3 per squad and no man ever runs down the corridor twice as fast as superman.