PDA

View Full Version : Pimp my Space Hulk

WildAnimal
09-09-2009, 06:07
Hi everyone,

I was thinking on how you could improve your Space Hulk set. The obvious would be to paint the miniatures ofcourse, but beside that?
I have done a couple of simple things, which for some dont matter, and people like me why like things to be 100%.

1. I took a permanent black marker pen, and painted all sides of tiles and markers black, So no more "cardboard grey" edges. The doors looks much better with black edges.

2. Take the Door bases and spray paint them black, maybe even highlight them a bit with a metal. But there are no need for this, the black looks very nice on the new tiles graphics.

3. Get two large cloth bags for drawing Blips and Command counters. Perfect is red for marines and purple for genestealers.

4. The leftover from the tiles card boards can be used to make nice ends on corridors like Stealer entry points.

5. Painting the bases of the Marines black is also a good idea, even if you don't paint the miniatures themselves. Just the "funny" bases. It really makes a different in-game. Same with Stealers ofcourse.

6. Buy a black sheet of cloth to put on your gaming table. Black backgroud really helps the tiles looking good.

PS: is it just me or is the old 1st edition floor tiles just nicer in the graphics, Some how i just like my old tiles better, thinking on getting them glued to a layer of card, so they are same thickness as the new edition.....

snurl
09-09-2009, 06:15
Build 3-D corridors out of Hirst Sci-Fi blocks? Or scratchbuild them from sheet plastic and tubing?

Add electric lights to the hallways after building them?

nedius
09-09-2009, 07:07
Linko flame tokens:

http://www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/PROD/TS/TS027-LG

Very nice 3D alternative markers!

Bregalad
09-09-2009, 07:37
Try this free sound effect program on your notebook during gaming session:
http://www.beastsofwar.com/dsac/
And play the Aliens soundtrack in the background.

Leeman Russ
09-09-2009, 07:43
I spent a bit of time last night basing my Terminators on 3cm square bits of plasticard to make them more stable and also make it clearer where their front/side is. I've also added detailing like broken pipes/girders/flooring on there too (all with plasticard) to help them blend in a little more. I'll post a link to pics once I've taken them.

destroyerlord
09-09-2009, 07:54
There is a thread about replacing the timer somewhere, there are some nice alternatives.
I heard a really nice idea about keeping the frames the board sections came on and backing them with card. That way you have a (well, nine) nice tray(s) to keep all the board sections in when not playing.

TheDeadspace
09-09-2009, 15:11
1. I took a permanent black marker pen, and painted all sides of tiles and markers black, So no more "cardboard grey" edges. The doors looks much better with black edges.

It's amazing how much of a difference this simple (but admittedly very tedious) step can make. I spent the afternoon edging all the card pieces with a black dry-wipe marker, and it all looks so much nicer with black edges than with the grey card showing.

Znail
09-09-2009, 15:20
Build 3-D corridors out of Hirst Sci-Fi blocks? Or scratchbuild them from sheet plastic and tubing?

Add electric lights to the hallways after building them?

Hirst Arts is working on a new release wich is basicly tailor made for SH. Its low 'walls' made of tubes and machinery to go alongside floortiles to make it a bit more 3d, but not require as much work as using the full sci-fi line of bricks. It should be pretty suitable for newbies to that hobby.

Abaddonshand
09-09-2009, 22:25
3. Get two large cloth bags for drawing Blips and Command counters. Perfect is red for marines and purple for genestealers.

I'm not planning on editing my space hulk in any irreversable way, but this seems like a good idea. Any idea where such bags could be purchased in the UK?

stonehorse
09-09-2009, 22:31
I'm not planning on editing my space hulk in any irreversable way, but this seems like a good idea. Any idea where such bags could be purchased in the UK?

Most arts and crafts stores should sell these.

ceimeifukan
09-09-2009, 23:38
I bpught 10 6"x4" black velet bags from ebay the other day for a few quid.

I'd watch out as they were more like plastic bags flocked with velvet than the nicer 100% soft velvet I was hoping to goet.

Gorthaur
10-09-2009, 00:24
I fully painted the stands for the doors, some are rusty others are just metal coloured and then I painted one with a blue glow to represent one of the few doors that has a glowing blue light on it, the more ancient the stands look the better, after all it is a Space Hulk

wilsongrahams
10-09-2009, 09:03
I agree - painting the door stands really enhances the game - as will the black edges to all cardboard which I have yet to do - I will be painting to avoid the yellow ink shine - but that amount of painting requires some serious working up to first!

precinctomega
10-09-2009, 09:41
Alternative sand timers:

http://www.walshbrothers.co.uk/Update/egg_timers.htm

Or, if you have a laptop or PC handy, log onto:

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/full-screen-stopwatch/

A nice, big 3 minute countdown is easy to set up. Build that tension!

R.

wilsongrahams
10-09-2009, 10:37
I agree that the bases are funny. I've been testing play with using 40mm bases and there have been no problems working out who is in which square etc. Filling a room with 9 termies does look odd but that's not all that common. The Broodlord already has a base 40mm long anyway as do a few other genestealers. My problem here is whether to mount them on 20mm or 40mm or a mixture depending on model - for gameplay and looks I prefer them based this way. I have already mounted the CAT and Artifact on 20mm bases which will sit nicely on top of the termy bases once they're done - first i need to get the electric sander out and wear the current bases down to the feet.

The biggest change I have made though is to my gaming area - which is a 6' by 4' table - I now have a red filter that I can put over the strip light for more atmosphere - it's a tad dark to see the icons and numbers on the blips but much better experience. I haven't played a game yet but I imagine I'll start watching those dark corners late at night...

Zenithfleet
10-09-2009, 12:45
I've run with somebody else's suggestion and based my Marines on 30mm squares of plasticard, to make them a bit sturdier and show which way they're facing more clearly. (30mm being the size of the tile squares.)

Two things I discovered:

1. The Marine models seem to have been designed so that the outside edges of the feet are no more than 30mm apart. (Though you sometimes have to assume the model will be standing with one foot further back than the other, and measure along an imaginary front edge, rather than directly from one foot to the other.) The actual bases spread further, but I was able to trim them back and still fit a Marine neatly on a 30mm square. I needed to carefully work out the facing of the model before deciding which corners to trim, though.

2. If I chop the corners off a 30mm square, I can just fit it on a standard 40mm round 40K base.

So with a little help from magnets, you can have sturdy square bases for Space Hulk and legal Terminator bases for 40K.

I don't know if the above made any sense without pics... :eyebrows:

Leeman Russ
10-09-2009, 13:30
I've also chopped the corners off of my 3cm square bases (purely for aesthetic reasons) but Zenithfleet makes a good point - with some clever adhesive use, they'll fit on a 40mm base just nice.
I'll be snapping pics tonight so I'll get them on here as soon as I do.

Commanderxenos
10-09-2009, 13:51
of you take a sander to the figs, you can quickly remove the funky bases. And a little clean up with a knife, and you can them mount them on 40mm bases for use in 40k or space hulk

Leeman Russ
10-09-2009, 13:58
I'd be scared of over-doing it and losing a marine foot/leg in the process! :)

Commanderxenos
10-09-2009, 14:24
I used a disc sander. It works fast, but not that fast. I may have only done it on the stealers upon the large peices of ruins.. but Trust me.. you should be fine. You wont loose a leg, unless there was a big bubble in it making it weak. And even then, it likely would have already broke.

wilsongrahams
10-09-2009, 15:07
Yeah, remember, let the sander do the work and don't push the mini aginst it else that will happen! It'll take a few minutes but you do want to go steady and ensure you don't do one side more than the other unless you want them to look like they're limping.

Zenithfleet
11-09-2009, 11:02
I've also chopped the corners off of my 3cm square bases (purely for aesthetic reasons) but Zenithfleet makes a good point - with some clever adhesive use, they'll fit on a 40mm base just nice.
I'll be snapping pics tonight so I'll get them on here as soon as I do.

Hey, I said something useful for once! :D

I really do wonder why the Marines have smooth shapeless bases while the Genestealers get all that funky tech bling. The Librarian gets to forever walk down the grim dark skull-filled stairs of the future--why does the rest of the team miss out?

I have to admit, though, as a longtime Tyranid player there's something not quite right about the 'stealer sculpts. They're a bit... off, somehow. I thought maybe it was the 4th ed redesign--I loved the original plastics--but I put together a few spare 40K 'stealers on WFB square bases to bulk out the numbers (see, this is on topic! :)), and those look great. But the SH sculpts look kind of ugly, as opposed to sleek-and-deadly. Almost like they're going hybrid while still purestrain. If that makes sense.

Leeman Russ
11-09-2009, 11:18
Funny you should say that, Zenith - I've ordered 3 boxes of Genestealers to base up, Hulk-style for pretty much the same reason - I'm just not that keen on the Hulk ones. The ones coming out of the floor and climbing on walls look more like diorama pieces, while the ones running along look like they're tripping over!

Incidentally, here's a link to the images of my (incomplete) Terminator bases. In my haste, I managed to completely miss photographing Brother Omnio!

Anyway, enough babble from me - the link: http://www.2screens.co.uk/gallery_more.php?id=445

GrogsnotPowwabomba
11-09-2009, 17:02
Wow, the black marker on the edges made a huge difference. It was extremely tedious and took a few hours, but now that its done I'm glad I did it. It makes the whole package look MUCH nicer.

I suggest doing it on everything, including counters, tokens, etc.

TheDeathDealer
11-09-2009, 17:45
What marker did you use?

Can you post some pics?

peculiar interloper
11-09-2009, 18:00
Yay +1 to sticky this thread. Who's with me?

Summary in first post. Only quick'n easy pimps allowed, such as black tile edges & black bases.

Not allowed: superconducting LED corridors & wetblending eyeballs.

altwaev
11-09-2009, 18:35
someone on boardgamegeek used an orange marker on the side of the flame markers too

GrogsnotPowwabomba
11-09-2009, 19:29
someone on boardgamegeek used an orange marker on the side of the flame markers too

Yeah, I think I should have done this but didn't have an orange marker at the time.

I just used a Sharpie black marker pen. Maybe not the best, but it still looks great. The tokens and board sections just look nicer without that cardboard edge to them.

wilsongrahams
11-09-2009, 19:39
I iwll be painting mine to avoid the ink rubbing off in future and leaving fingerprints everywhere but using different colours is a great idea - orange for flames, purple for stealer areas...

Anyone thought of a better way to simulate the jammed doors other than putting them in the base at an angle?

GrogsnotPowwabomba
11-09-2009, 20:57
I iwll be painting mine to avoid the ink rubbing off in future and leaving fingerprints everywhere...

**** I didn't think about this...uh oh.

scarletsquig
11-09-2009, 21:04
**** I didn't think about this...uh oh.

Don't worry, the card will absorb the ink and dry just fine.

Won't be a problem unless it gets wet again.

Zenithfleet
12-09-2009, 10:56
Funny you should say that, Zenith - I've ordered 3 boxes of Genestealers to base up, Hulk-style for pretty much the same reason - I'm just not that keen on the Hulk ones. The ones coming out of the floor and climbing on walls look more like diorama pieces, while the ones running along look like they're tripping over!

Incidentally, here's a link to the images of my (incomplete) Terminator bases. In my haste, I managed to completely miss photographing Brother Omnio!

Anyway, enough babble from me - the link: http://www.2screens.co.uk/gallery_more.php?id=445

Those look great :) I haven't put any tech deco on my bases yet, but after seeing those I'll definitely give it a go.

As for the SH 'stealers, seems pretty obvious to me that the 'running' ones are in fact surfing. Or possibly skateboarding. And I've been totally unable to take the 'crouching on top of rubble and dangling cables' fella seriously (the one on the summary chart on the back of the rulebook), ever since somebody pointed out that he looks like he's carrying a handbag...

Come to think of it, what is this evil alien obsession with running around holding skulls and helmets? Even the Broodlord's got one--the only thing I dislike about that sculpt. Are they playing Oddball or something?

wilsongrahams
12-09-2009, 11:29
I think it is to use as trophies or to pile up at the broodlord's feet - look i killed one!

In the past the broodlord was a patriarch and 'thought' like a human hence sitting on a throne etc, and so could be vain.

I do like the way it ties the genestealers to the marines though, or maybe they have only just ripped the head off. Or they like brains for dinner? It's a delicacy in some cultures... Probably in a genestealer cult too!

Anyone else think it odd that a purestrain stealer is a 5th generation genie but the fourth gen are almost human - this would mean there should be four times as many hybrids as purestrains on the hulk... if you use the old non-tyranid fluff anyway.

carlospictor
12-09-2009, 12:26
I'm currently planning ideas on using some Cities of Death building parts to make a 'cage' to hold the egg-timer. Painted up could make the whole thing look suitably Gothic.

Post some pics when I've got to the gluing stage...

AndrewGPaul
12-09-2009, 14:26
No, the hybrids don't usually survive trips on hulks - they can't go into natural suspended animation like the 'stealers can, and hulks don't usually have functioning stasis units. On a planet, however, you're right - more hybrids than purestrains.

By the way, the 5th generation has a 50/50 chance of being a purestrain or a normal human.

wilsongrahams
12-09-2009, 17:07
Ah thanks AndrewGPaul. I have none of the tyranid codexes since 2nd ed 40k and it doesn't say an alternative for 5th gen hybrids.

The rest makes sense as hybrids are mostly human after all.

On the subject of pimping - how many of you out there are planning on painting every model to your highest standard and not a regular troop standard?

I am doing all of mine with five levels of highlighting and shading as opposed to the three i do on troops. I will not be blending with infinite mixes (til satisfied that is) as i do on characters.

Maccwar
12-09-2009, 17:50
Fenris Games are working on something a bit special at the moment.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j4/geronimojones/hulktopdownWIP.jpg

Just a WIP at the moment they posted up over on Frothers.

Leeman Russ
12-09-2009, 18:16
Those look great :) I haven't put any tech deco on my bases yet, but after seeing those I'll definitely give it a go.

As for the SH 'stealers, seems pretty obvious to me that the 'running' ones are in fact surfing. Or possibly skateboarding. And I've been totally unable to take the 'crouching on top of rubble and dangling cables' fella seriously (the one on the summary chart on the back of the rulebook), ever since somebody pointed out that he looks like he's carrying a handbag...

Come to think of it, what is this evil alien obsession with running around holding skulls and helmets? Even the Broodlord's got one--the only thing I dislike about that sculpt. Are they playing Oddball or something?

Thanks! I'm looking forward to painting them up once I've finished my 60 Orks for a 500pt Doubles tournament I'm attending in 2 weeks... Only 19 boyz left to do!

Back on topic - heh, surfing stealers. Also, perhaps they're throwing those skulls/helmets at the Terminators - "Take your filthy rubbish back, humans!"

And I'd never noticed the 'handbag' thing until I read that! Hah!

Photographer
12-09-2009, 18:36
Maybe they get money if they take the helmets in to be recycled?

I suspect these genestealers are paying tribute to Michael jackson by moonwalking.

Lewis
12-09-2009, 18:49
I heard today that Battlefoam are producing a specifc set of foam that fits into your SH box and stores all the models and card. If I wasn't in the UK I'd be getting that.

AndrewGPaul
13-09-2009, 07:16
I've seen a couple of reviews saying the tray for the models is fine, but the tray for the board pieces is too small.

Bregalad
13-09-2009, 11:07
I heard today that Battlefoam are producing a specifc set of foam that fits into your SH box and stores all the models and card. If I wasn't in the UK I'd be getting that.
Look at this thread dedicated to this product exclusively:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217218

Glabro
14-09-2009, 23:48
Took the time to paint the tile and door edges black and the flamer marker edges with orange. Additionally, I sprayed the door bases black and highlighted them in metal. Thanks for the hints! It does make quite a difference.

The Deep Space Assault Console was cool, as well, though it'll require a third party to use, unfortunately, or it'll slow things down.

WildAnimal
15-09-2009, 06:21
Glabro: IF you are not paiting the miniatures, then please take the time to paint the marine bases black. That really makes a difference when playing.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
15-09-2009, 12:43
On the subject of pimping - how many of you out there are planning on painting every model to your highest standard and not a regular troop standard?

Here! I am treasuring this box set to the utmost...I've been waiting for this game for 20 years.

Gaz
16-10-2009, 23:01
I'm in the process of removing the funky little bases from the terminators as I hate them, then either use pins or magnets to put them on 40k bases and make consistent looking bases for hulk too.

Brother Constantine
18-10-2009, 15:16
I'm in the process of removing the funky little bases from the terminators as I hate them, then either use pins or magnets to put them on 40k bases and make consistent looking bases for hulk too.

Keep us posted on that projects progress! :)

Gaz
19-10-2009, 21:55
Keep us posted on that projects progress! :)

Will do...

...once I figure out what the plan is :D

starlight
19-10-2009, 22:10
One thing I'm contemplating is to remedy a minor beef I have with the cardstock...

Namely all that *wasted* extra space on the card...call it *sprue* for lack of a better name...that could have been extra doors and spare floor sections...? Yes, yes, they made what you need for the missions in the box...but I'm talking long-term re-playability...:)

I'm looking at making *filler* floor sections and doors by using existing tiles as templates. Maybe not so sexy as the originals, but there are plenty of downloadable sheets of doors/walls/floors to attach later... #2 might make a door or two, but 3, 4, 5, and 10 should be good for several sections of flooring and doors. :)

And yes, the single best thing you can do is colour/blacken the edges of the tiles, followed by basic work on the bases/door mounts. :)

Znail
20-10-2009, 07:23
Well, Hirst Arts is the obvious elite way to pimp your Space Hulk game. Here is an immage of what the recent Space Hulk themed molds can make:

http://www.hirstarts.com/hulk19.jpg

Thats unpainted plaster, but so it should look realy awesome with some basic terrain painting. A picture with some paint:

http://www.geocities.com/willypold/hirstarts_images/IMG_9120.jpg

Or for the more claustrophobic feeling with high walls:

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo251/darkitect13/hirstbuild003-1.jpg

I thought this had to be posted atleast once on a thread about pimping out Space Hulk :) I dont know if I should post more links related to this or if people interested can just google it up themselves?

Dogma
20-10-2009, 17:54
Thought I would add some pics of my Space Hulk pimping.
I have so far based most models on treadplate style base's and put the Termi's & B'lord on 40mm's for play in 40K also. And I have added a unit of Chaos Termi's to mix things up a bit in game. also added that guy from the Mcragge boxset as an objective (never actually thought I'd find a use for him).

Other things I plan to do are firstly buy some normal Stealers as I agree as previously stated that the new molds are pretty lame (bar one or two) and I feel they will fit with my other mini's better if also on treadplate base's. I am also going to steal the idea of colouring the board edges black (Kudo's to whoever came up with that).
Thats about it for now but I will be watching this thread closely incase there is any other ideas I can gleam from you guys.

Thanks

40kbolter
21-10-2009, 03:57
Znail...... thats....... OMG! lol

REAL! nice work!

Wickey the Viking
22-10-2009, 18:32
1, 4, 5 and 6... check.

Just finished painting all the models.
Gonna start on some tactical marines soon to acompany my terminators. And when the new Tyranid models come out, I'll add some of those too.

Wickey the Viking
25-10-2009, 18:42
Just some quick pics to go...

grg3d
09-11-2009, 17:24
Hi ...OK I've been pimping out my Space Hulk
With floor sections (still painting the sections so I know the Hulk is shiny)

Space Marines with magnets(Going to Be Imperial Fist when painted)
So here are some Pictures...

Mission 1
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu346/grg3d/DSC00001.jpg?t=1257789893

Close Up of doors & the room
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu346/grg3d/DSC00047.jpg?t=1257790734

Sections being Painted
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu346/grg3d/DSC00048.jpg?t=1257790248

Sargent Weapons Load Out
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu346/grg3d/100_3116.jpg?t=1257790345

Heavy Weapon Load Out
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu346/grg3d/100_3112.jpg?t=1257790563

Marine Load Out
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu346/grg3d/DSC00012.jpg?t=1257790681

And if you want to pimp out your Space Hulk e-mail me or look for me under sellers on Ebay

mel_danes
09-11-2009, 22:16
Hi ...OK I've been pimping out my Space Hulk
With floor sections (still painting the sections so I know the Hulk is shiny)

Space Marines with magnets(Going to Be Imperial Fist when painted)
So here are some Pictures...

Sweet looking halls. Your Magna-lock Termi's will be awesome once complete. It looks like your going all out man, great job.

CRasterImage
09-11-2009, 23:46
The Hirst Arts molds are very sexy. But you guys need to individualize the pieces a bit. If you look at the 3rd edition tiles, you can see all kinds of personal touches to some pieces. (I like the tile with the crack in it, but you can keep going with stuff like that)

For example:

- Take a dremel to one side of a hallways section to make it look like it eroded away by flame, acid or just a bad case of rust.

- Take one grating tile and make it very thin, then place it into a space cock-eyed. It will look like a loose metal grate.

- Tile one room with all smooth marble. Add a few technical bits and make it look like a chapel to the machine god.

- Be more liberal with puddles of oil or blood.

- Make overly-rusted sections.

- Make overly... corrupted sections. Paint green... something on the metal. Could be moldy water, or putrified innards, who knows...

grg3d
10-11-2009, 11:35
Take a dremel to one side of a hallways section to make it look like it eroded away by flame, acid or just a bad case of rust.

- Take one grating tile and make it very thin, then place it into a space cock-eyed. It will look like a loose metal grate.

- Tile one room with all smooth marble. Add a few technical bits and make it look like a chapel to the machine god.

- Be more liberal with puddles of oil or blood.

- Make overly-rusted sections.

- Make overly... corrupted sections. Paint green... something on the metal. Could be moldy water, or putrified innards, who knows...

That's what miscasts are for :p

Some of the cardboard sections that have damage detail that would interfere with model placement....

But in all the excitement of getting it ready for sale on Ebay
and my painted set to play on
and show it off here
Its a long way from being "done" :D and yes you will see some derelict pieces not to mention the Damaged Doors...

Wickey the Viking
11-11-2009, 09:30
Looking very nice. I like the "costum your marine for each mission" thing!

Ynek
12-11-2009, 15:57
I'm currently working on a modular electronic 3D space hulk table.
So far, I have ten sections at various WIP stages. However, I have one section finished, and here are some snaps of it:

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8332/picture131s.jpg
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/7268/picture132bm.jpg
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6958/picture134yb.jpg
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8176/picture135k.jpg
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/9470/picture137kg.jpg

fiore hellheart
12-11-2009, 19:10
That is awsome ynek. pretty nice stuff with that hirst arts too. My only critique would be that they look far to shiny for my liking. Of course that may be how you like it, but mine would be washed in bucklets and buckets of badab and devlan washes.

mattjgilbert
15-11-2009, 07:08
Great 3D sections guys. And Ynek... that's awesome. Will the lighting have different colours? Some floor level lighting would be good, or even lighting from under the floor :)

Ynek
15-11-2009, 11:05
Yes, there will be four colours of light.
Blue, green, yellow and red. I've worked it all out so that green tiles will neighbour blue and yellow tiles, and red tiles will neigbour yellow tiles (no red-to-green or red-to blue, for instance, so that the colours don't clash.)

Also, if I can find a supplier for aluminium mesh, I do intend to have below-floor lighting in some rooms, as well as some other gimmicks that I'm not going to go into right now, as they would probably spoil the surprise.

Anyway, here are a few more pictures:
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/161/picture106kw.jpg
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9541/picture107rd.jpg
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/592/picture141ct.jpg
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3619/picture143jn.jpg
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1189/picture144e.jpg
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9082/picture145c.jpg