PDA

View Full Version : Limited ammo

shadow hunter
09-09-2009, 15:55
Why does the assault cannon and flamer suffer from limited ammo? The storm bolter magazine clips appear to hold about 10 shots each maybe. And I've never seen spare magazine clips on a terminator. I know its just for fun rule situations and tactical thinking, but I dont see why all ammo shouldn't be limited.

Honestly - I am happy with how it works, I just suddenly realised that the stormbolter probably uses up its capacity as fast as an assault cannon.

This came to mind when I was reading the rule discussion about a storm bolter firing at a closing door on overwatch, and the assault cannon not firing. Someone stated that the Assault cannon marine may have been told to conserve ammo and mark his target first. But I would think they would all be conserving ammo deep inside a hulk with a chance of not being able to rearm.

pookie
09-09-2009, 15:57
technically Sb dont fire on Auto, but fire single shots, where as the Ac does. it makes very little sence, but i see it as the SB are taking selected shots were as the AC fires a hail of shots.

wilsongrahams
09-09-2009, 16:02
As you say it's just a rules mechanic really as you'll get a third of the shots that a sb marine will get in a mission on average, and with only twice the firepower it's not all that amazing either.

It is fun to use though, but I find best used to keep a corridor clear whilst you get into position and then retire him to 'guard' a room and leave the mission to the others. Saving ammo and making a few shots when a sb marine fails to kill a target can also be useful but takes time and patience and usually the foe will swamp you before then.

Bookwrak
09-09-2009, 16:11
Why does the assault cannon and flamer suffer from limited ammo? The storm bolter magazine clips appear to hold about 10 shots each maybe. And I've never seen spare magazine clips on a terminator. I know its just for fun rule situations and tactical thinking, but I dont see why all ammo shouldn't be limited.
Because the genestealers aren't, for one thing, and for another, it means that the two most powerful weapons will not always lead from the front and annihilate everything in their path. You have to make tactical choices about where they are best employed.

wilsongrahams
09-09-2009, 16:18
I do think that the flamer is poorly stocked and more limited compared to the assault cannon though - they aren't equal. For a start the flamer marine can't even shoot someone in the same room - but this is perhaps more realistic.

Maybe a reload for the flamer or ten shots would be better to even it up?

Ramius4
09-09-2009, 16:45
I do think that the flamer is poorly stocked and more limited compared to the assault cannon though - they aren't equal. For a start the flamer marine can't even shoot someone in the same room - but this is perhaps more realistic.

Maybe a reload for the flamer or ten shots would be better to even it up?

Why would they even need to be equal? Space Hulk is a scenario based game, not a points based one. I find your remark lacking in common sense.

wilsongrahams
09-09-2009, 16:49
Sorry, I had just come from a thread about creating missions and was thinking along that frame of mind - using alternate forces etc. Ignore me!

It just adds to the tactics as it is - do i shoot or not?

Malakian
10-09-2009, 00:51
Assault Cannon and Flamer serve totally different purposes. Flamer is for buying more time by blocking corridors. Assault Cannon is more like Genestealers Doom.

Also Assault Cannon can be put in overwatch so It can lose it's ammo pretty quickly if swarmed.

I think they are in balance.

Dexter099
10-09-2009, 00:59
Yes, if you use the flamer correctly, you will see it killing many genestealers at a time and also blocking off corridors. Its ability to flame entire large blocks is just so priceless. It's otherwise impossible for Terminators to open the door to a large room without getting massacred. Only the Heavy Flamer can do it.

szlachcic
10-09-2009, 02:47
I do think that the flamer is poorly stocked and more limited compared to the assault cannon though...

Really? I think that the movement blocking capabilities of the flamer put it on the same level as the assault cannon, and has won me quite a few games. I agree it doesn't have power to mow down genestealers like the assault cannon, but the ability to clear rooms or large corridors and to block movement is pretty great in a game that is very much about pace and positioning.

It sucks it only has 6 shots, but then again that makes you really think about how you will use it instead of firing it off every turn.

wilsongrahams
10-09-2009, 08:51
Maybe it's cos the first GW game I ever bought and played was 2nd Ed Space Hulk and I could use one or two small flamer shots out of the 24 (including the reload) and happily burn one or two genestealers at a time. If flaming rooms or large areas you actually ran out of ammo quicker than with the new rules. I appreciate that the new rules (and original 1st ed as it's the same) simply make it a different weapon that has to be used in a different way. It would be nice to have been able to divide a large shot into one or two smaller ones though for when there is a group of stealers but the first one is on a different section. Sure you can block the corridor but for using one shot I'd prefer to be able to flame the whole lot and not the first one.

grg3d
10-09-2009, 14:03
In the Old days :rolleyes:

The assault cannon had 3 reloads
The Heavy flamer had one reload

The number to kill a genestealers has pretty much stayed the same for the flame weapon 2+ where the assault cannon used to go as low as 3+ for a kill.

Either way it took 4 AP/CP or a combo of both to reload them I wonder why they took away the flamer's one reload.

On a further note you used to only be able to shoot the same section twice as it looks now you could do it more 3, 4 if needed?

wilsongrahams
10-09-2009, 14:34
That may have been because under normal circumstances you will only get two shots off a turn, and you may imagine that the gel is immolated in the heat of the first shots without having any further effect anyway. Just finished a mission now and was a close call. I flamed a genestealer twice and it survived both so I had to psychic storm it to finally kill my flank. If it had survived that third 2+ kill I'd have been painting it gold.