PDA

View Full Version : Do you use the timer?

Mojaco
09-09-2009, 16:37
Just out of curiousity, who plays with and who plays without the timer?

We play with it, but don't really force a player to stick to it... so we kinda do without :)

wilsongrahams
09-09-2009, 16:43
I tend to play family and they are less enthusiastic and don't know the rules as well so don't use the timer. I do want to however, I just never have done in the past. As a quick thinker, and being good at planning, most of my marine turns are short enough anyway - less than the timer - it seemed to drag on when i tested it's time length.

Crube
09-09-2009, 16:52
The first few times, I played without, but as I got to learn the rules, I always use it - it really adds to the game IMO.

The only time I wouldnt now, is if I was trying to get someone else into the game...

Scriboergosum
09-09-2009, 16:57
Yeah, new players can be excused, obviously. The game is supposed to be fun, after all, but that being said, once you've got a grip on the rules I think the timer is great fun!

If it's a mission you haven't tried too many times before or your plan just really goes wrong half way through your turn (like when it seems your D6's only go from 1-4, you know? :)), the fact that you haven't got forever to think really presents a challenge that can make for a very fun game.

commandergabriel
09-09-2009, 18:50
The first few times, I played without, but as I got to learn the rules, I always use it - it really adds to the game IMO.

The only time I wouldnt now, is if I was trying to get someone else into the game...

Yes... What he said! (errm; wrote!)

Learning the new set of rules is fun and after a few games and getting to know the rules; the timer adds a great element.

strewart
10-09-2009, 02:46
Definitely plan to give it a go when I and opponents have a good grasp of the rules. My only concern is we usually play casually, for fun, and end up stopping half way through turns (in WHFB or 40k) for a chat, which would make Space Hulk much more intense. But I imagine the games will probably go quick enough that we can chat after anyway.

torn
10-09-2009, 05:18
i think using the timer does makes the game intense. you can always chat and discuss things in the stealer turn, but the tempo is really up in the marine turn. We use an electronic timer that beeps, after trying 1 turn with a sand timer. the hourglass is just a pain really, keeping an eye on it then it has to finish to be re-used etc.

i wouldnt play without the timer, and even for new players 3 minutes is plenty of time for mission 1 once they have the hang of the basic rules.

Hellebore
10-09-2009, 06:11
Haven't used the timer yet. Still playing through the missions to familiarise myself.

Hellebore

strewart
10-09-2009, 06:45
the hourglass is just a pain really, keeping an eye on it then it has to finish to be re-used etc.

I think thats part of the charm actually, the nid player has to keep an eye on it and enforce the time limit while the marine player is rushing to get everything finished.

Mojaco
10-09-2009, 07:45
My only concern is we usually play casually, for fun, and end up stopping half way through turns (in WHFB or 40k) for a chat, which would make Space Hulk much more intense.
That's my reason too. We just talk too much, and to go from that to concentration for 3 minutes is a bit hard, so we usually do without.

Mission one is easy with the timer, but once you get 2 squads going, it's a bit much. That's 18 seconds per guy!

wilsongrahams
12-09-2009, 17:42
Played three levels now with the timer going on the marine turn but not to be enforced as I was still training the player on some things. Only one marine turn went anywhere near using the full time, the rest at halfway and that was with two squads and the librarian. Fast thinking and being able to roll dice and just declare what it's for as you do it are the key rather than saying 'now i'm going to shoot' pick up dice and roll then say 'that failed because i'm not gaining sustained fire yet' ... Two experienced players should be able to use the timer with no problems. I now intend to always use it as it was making me act quicker than I usually would and it is the mistakes which may make me start to lose more!

Vaaish
12-09-2009, 17:49
We use the timer but find it a little useless because as the marine player, I have the entire stealer turn to think through where I want to move so it really just comes down to actually doing it and maybe a little thought if something changes when it comes down to the marine turn under the time limit.

madden
12-09-2009, 18:23
only sometimes as my home opponants are 10 and under (my kids) so the timer is skipped but any one else the timer is in, but i use a kitchen timer instead of the hour glass the ticking really adds to the tension and you know when its run out.

Dangersaurus
12-09-2009, 21:57
Yah I use it, but remember, it's up to the Genestealer player to set it. Not like you have to remind them every time. :D

eek107
13-09-2009, 02:39
We try, but sometimes we forget. To be honest though, it's hardly ever been an issue. Most turns we actually end up waiting for it to finish after the genestealer player has done. We play fast. :D

FerociousBeast
13-09-2009, 02:58
I play with it, but I'm a lenient genestealer player. As marines I keep to the time limit, but I'll let it go when I'm not.

wolf40k
13-09-2009, 03:36
It just adds to the atmosphere of the game.

wilsongrahams
13-09-2009, 07:21
With time not being an issue to those that know the game well and can plan ahead and then play fast I think it can become an annoyance and despite knowing I've plenty of time I do keep looking at the timer to check. That does help with making me get a move on, especially when a marine fails to hit anything all turn and i have to change my plans as to whether to relocate another or to use the command points etc. Some things just can't be planned for in the stealer turn completely unless you always have a backup paln too. What i want now is not a timer, but a scanner that bleeps faster the closer the stealers get like in aliens!

nedius
13-09-2009, 08:26
I use the timer when I'm playing someone who is familliar with the game. For those new to SH, we tend to play one squad missions - for which three minutes are ample time, and rarely needed.

grissom2006
13-09-2009, 17:38
Yep i use the timer although the way it's looking with me pulling out old WD articles i may need a stop watch instead. Found the old rules for allowing Captains and they add 30 seconds.

Will say when teaching a person to play i don't use it until i'l happy they grasp the rules.

Nomog
14-09-2009, 21:52
Depending on who I play it's used. Most of the time I'm playing with friends and with the chatting and poking fun of each other it would be hard to complete the turn. We have agreed though to start playing with a timer everytime after we've played a couple more game sessions.

It must be intense for some of the later missions when using the timer. The few times we have used it, we've used an electronic timer downloaded from GameBoardGeek.

HsojVvad
15-09-2009, 00:10
I tried using the timer with the kids. They were excited with it, wow something different daddy, but when time was up, they were having no fun, well the SM player was having no fun, so we only use it sparingly, not enforcing it. It's there so the kids get use to it, so they play by the rules.

We forget to even turn it sometimes, so it will be getting use to for all of us. But right now we are just learning the rules.

Ronin_eX
15-09-2009, 09:06
Love the stress the timer creates and I love playing the marines because of this. To me it is part of the atmosphere of the game and it encourages planning ahead and watching what your opponent does. That and it also increases the importance of the CP mechanic by making acting out of turn order more important, thus CP budgeting becomes more important on your turn as you don't have the luxury of sitting back and ruminating over how to use them for several minutes.

Grapeshot
21-09-2009, 00:27
I use timer as it really enhance the game. However my hourglass jams quite often.

Urza
22-09-2009, 12:19
Back when I first played 1st Edition I didn't bother with the timer.

Now with the 3rd Edition I always use the timer unless I am trying to teach someone how to play. Can't believe I used to play it without - it adds so much more tension!

ThrowN
22-09-2009, 12:42
I use timer as it really enhance the game. However my hourglass jams quite often.

Same problem here. We had agreed, not to use the timer yet, but I wanted to know how many actions would've been possible for my opponent. Tried 3 rounds, 3 times jammed... that's more often than his overwatching stormbolters...

lagoon83
22-09-2009, 12:57
I posted this on another thread already, so sorry for the double-postage, but I've put up a couple of 3-minute "atmospheric" MP3s over here (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e2eef5ada200ec60d1014a7a667fa2b4e04e75f6 e8ebb871). The first one's got a lot more battle noise, the second's more ambient. I'm working on more, and I'll post them up as soon as I've got time to finish them off!

I've played a couple of games using these (playing them from a mobile phone) and I much prefer it to the sand timer - yay for immersiveness!