PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Marine Mini?

wilsongrahams
09-09-2009, 17:30
Anyone have a favourite marine and a reason why?

Don't know how to do the polls I'm afraid.

My favourite mini was a toss up between Deino and Goriel as to me both represent what a Blood Angel Terminator should look like. Neither is overly decorated like the sergeants, both have realistic poses. They have nice detailed personal icons.

In the end I have decided that Goriel is my favourite though, as he looks as if he is bloodthirsty in combat, and very violent, but not savage or vampiric or mad - I dislike the lunatic idea for blood angels. In my mind they simply do their job very well and tend to prefer delivering the emperor's grace up close.

Some special rules for each character are sorely missed though.

TheDeadspace
09-09-2009, 18:20
I'm a fan of Brother Leon. His description in the mission book just makes me imagine the Heavy from Team Fortress 2. CLICKY (http://www.teamfortress.com/heavy.htm).

Plus, the bit about the Techmarines pitching a fit about him modifying his equipment amuses me too.

wilsongrahams
09-09-2009, 18:33
In fact I think GW can be commended on the detail and character information. They could have so easily just given the Black Reach Terminators and written nothing about them in particular.

Personality-wise I like Valencio although the mini leaves a little to be desired I think.

commandergabriel
09-09-2009, 18:45
Brother Noctis is my favorite... He has that pose that says: "You... You die next!"

I have to say that my least favorite pose is Brother Scipio... Hey Scip! Seriously... How long are you going to be ripping that floor apart. Stand up and fight!

LostTemplar
09-09-2009, 19:05
I like Deinos and I quite like the marine background, gives'em a more human feel and less of a heroic one.

wilsongrahams
09-09-2009, 19:08
I think Noctis, Goriel and Deino are all very similar in style and pose, and all great.

My least favourite is Omnio. I can't quite place why cos I like the idea of the scanner - maybe it's the sight over the eye - I never liked that as the alternate sergeant helmet from the main 40k terminator box set.

snottlebocket
09-09-2009, 19:23
Modelwise I love Claudio. Yes the pose is a complete wolverine ripoff but I can totally see him striking that pose in the middle of a pitchblack space hulk corridor while genestealers surge at him in the beam of his lights. Space marines are a gutsy bunch in general but it takes an extra large set of balls to face down waves of genestealers in brutal close combat in claustrophobic corridors dark as death.

Fluffwise I lean towards the individualism of Gideon and the calm fanaticism of Zael. They did a pretty good job with just a few paragraphs of text. Out of all the marine fluff this makes the space marines feel the most human. They don't sound like dehumanized, homogenous creations but like soldiers with their own strengths and weaknesses. For all their superior powers it's important that the space marines remain human, otherwise they just become monsters unleashed rather than vigilant guardians. If you can do that with a chapter as savage as the blood angels, well done.

Kharun
09-09-2009, 19:26
My favourite ought to be Omnio, I don't really know why, maybe it's because of all the jokes he make happen all the time.....

"Oh, look! I did get cable tv on this thing"

EmMeTt
10-09-2009, 06:34
My favourite minis are Claudio and Gideon. Claudio reminds me of those invisible guys from Resistance 2 and I can so imagine Gideon about to smash a guy on the head.

wolf40k
10-09-2009, 06:52
Claudio and Goriel, The battle damage makes them look like the roughest ones of the group.

Hellebore
10-09-2009, 07:15
I like the power sword sergeant model. It's just nice. Maybe a little blinged up, but I do like it.

The heavy weapon models are nice too.

hellebore

Covering Fire
10-09-2009, 07:32
I like Goriel the most. Cool pose, and you've got to love that battle damage! I use a pic of him as wallpaper on my PC;)

I also like Leon and Zael.

AndrewGPaul
10-09-2009, 09:10
My favourites are the assault cannon trooper and the one firing his laser-sighted storm bolter. They pretty much sum up the Marines in Space Hulk - superior firepower. :)

wilsongrahams
10-09-2009, 09:10
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the librarian actually. Calistarius is a cool character if not deeply developed personality wise, and the model is also cool, but does lack dynamism.

AndrewGPaul
10-09-2009, 09:14
I like that pose - the other Marines are fighting for their lives, while Calistarius walks cooly among them, frying Genestealers with his mind. :)

shadow hunter
10-09-2009, 09:27
I actually like the terminator ripping up the floor. Its a good change from all the others who are stood upright. (including the 40k ones). I like they did something different like that.

I do like the one with slashes on him (and missing an eye) too.

precinctomega
10-09-2009, 09:36
I like Omnio best.

Callistarius doesn't really need additional background, because we all know who he turns out to be eventually...

R.

WildAnimal
10-09-2009, 09:49
I like Noctis the best, fluff and miniature.

Callistarius doesn't really need additional background, because we all know who he turns out to be eventually...
R.
WHO? I don't know...really! Enlighten me!

childofnurgle
10-09-2009, 10:34
WHO? I don't know...really! Enlighten me!

He goes on to become Mephiston "Lord of Death" after his "near death" experience later in his career!

Leeman Russ
10-09-2009, 11:38
I'd vote for Omnio's top half - I really don't like the way his legs are positioned - I can see they were going for the 'advancing along a corridor look' but it just looks like a combination of falling over and that weird knee-pop thing Elvis Presley used to do.

Zenithfleet
10-09-2009, 13:06
This is a tough one--they're all gorgeous. (Although Scipio aka Mr Floorguy is my least favourite.)

As much as I love Claudio's "come get some!" pose and the heavy weapon fellows, though, I'll have to vote for Goriel because he's the spitting image of another famous movie character who is in no way connected to Aliens. :rolleyes:

...or possibly Noctis because I imagine him shouting "YOU! Stop being jolly!"

The Officer
10-09-2009, 13:18
Modelvice, brothers Goriel and Deino are my favorites, very Space Hulk-y.

It's great how they gave the terminators personalities and even personal heraldry that is displayed on the mini! I like stories and this really helps to give the games more substance, making them more meaningful than just moving pieces of plastic on cardboard tiles.

One thing I noticed though is that brother Valencio is always described to be a part of squad Lorenzo, the sergeant even having saved his life in a previous campaing. The Valencio mini, however, has the chainfist, and the chainfist terminator is always part of squad Gideon! Suppose somewhere along the line someone made a mistake...

Leeman Russ
10-09-2009, 13:27
One thing I noticed though is that brother Valencio is always described to be a part of squad Lorenzo, the sergeant even having saved his life in a previous campaing. The Valencio mini, however, has the chainfist, and the chainfist terminator is always part of squad Gideon! Suppose somewhere along the line someone made a mistake...

I saw that too when I was trying to work out who is in who's squad! Confused me for a little while too.

torn
10-09-2009, 13:37
I actually like the terminator ripping up the floor. Its a good change from all the others who are stood upright. (including the 40k ones). I like they did something different like that.

I do like the one with slashes on him (and missing an eye) too.

I didnt mind this pose, was original, until i came to painting him and i got to see how much of a bodge job his legs actually are. honestly - designing mini's on a computer instead of getting a proper sculptor is ruining GW's plastics quality.

I think my favourite is brother zael, and i dont really know why. I like the way he is holding the charm in his power glove while casually burning the 'nids.

gideon was good fun to paint, although the posing is a little generic. i think lorenzo would have been better if he was less like the metal terminator hero. deino is a great model, well posed, and really works for a veteran. i can imagine deathwing players converting him for their forces.

overall i think the fact they are all posed differently really make them stand out, even if they didnt have all the bits.

grg3d
10-09-2009, 14:29
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/philbrad/Warseer/SHTERMI4SML-1.jpg

Nice.... Altho a Sargent with Lighting claws would be cool too

wilsongrahams
10-09-2009, 14:36
Right, I have confirmed my least favourite miniature, even if I like the pose and backgraound - Claudio - his second mission today and just like yesterday, he died, on guard in his very first combat. Maybe I'm not having much luck but he's overrated in combat from my current experience.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
10-09-2009, 20:56
I dislike the lunatic idea for blood angels. In my mind they simply do their job very well and tend to prefer delivering the emperor's grace up close.

They only go lunatic at times; its their flaw and what makes them interesting...

Ronin_eX
10-09-2009, 21:21
Goriel is my biggest favourite, the battle scarred suit and the bad-**** pose makes me think of him as a Blood Angel version of Weasel Fierce from the Deathwing. Claudio comes in second because I love lightning claws.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
10-09-2009, 21:23
Goriel's model is definately in a class all its own. The pose and especially the battle damage make it stand out for me.

blackbabyjesus
11-09-2009, 00:06
Another vote for Goriel from me, the pose is epic and the battledamage looks great.

wilsongrahams
11-09-2009, 08:19
Concerning Valencio, I believe he is left out of the squad in the game so that the missions using Squad Lorenzo use the Exact Same Forces as in the ortiginal game - missions one to five and eg.

WildAnimal
11-09-2009, 09:20
I like the wall crawling Genestealer very much hehe :-)

Grapeshot
18-09-2009, 17:02
Fav Minis - Gideon with the Hammer
Fav Deino - Marksman

Arselskjut
19-09-2009, 04:52
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/philbrad/Warseer/SHTERMI4SML-1.jpg

Nice.... Altho a Sargent with Lighting claws would be cool too

that's the one i loath the most =)

the one i like the most is Claudio, lovely berserker-pose, just roaring a battle shout.

StefDa
19-09-2009, 08:52
I like the Floor Guy, since he perfectly depicts how cumbersome a suit of Tactical Dreadnought Armour is. He is on one knee, tearing at the floor, but look how awkwardly posed he is - he can't even look straight at his power fist.

My favourite is definately Goriel - that's because he survived for a LONG time in a game we played, and during that time he kicked everyone's and their mum's asses.

MIGHTYPanhead
19-09-2009, 13:50
As much as I love Claudio's "come get some!" pose and the heavy weapon fellows, though, I'll have to vote for Goriel because he's the spitting image of another famous movie character who is in no way connected to Aliens. :rolleyes:

I'm always reminded of Sub zero's Fatality. Ages back (probably back when I started playing space hulk!) my primary Mortal Kombat opponent would always play him, and always pull that move off.

Nostalgia, with a wave of irritation. That and he looks totally badass :D

Lord Malorne
19-09-2009, 14:02
Dead Blood angel on throne.

StefDa
20-09-2009, 22:30
He's not dead, he's waiting. Blood Angels don't die.

Arselskjut
20-09-2009, 22:36
He's not dead, he's waiting. Blood Angels don't die.

haha he's just taking a nap, fell asleep while watching tv... 1 century ago. :D

blagmasterg
21-09-2009, 18:15

In actual fact, from the age of the ship that he's in, he fell asleep about 10,000 years ago! Although the hulk has been lost in the warp, and we do know that time runs differently there, so its entirely possible that he died 50 years ago in realtime terms.:p

wolf40k
21-09-2009, 18:29

In actual fact, from the age of the ship that he's in, he fell asleep about 10,000 years ago! Although the hulk has been lost in the warp, and we do know that time runs differently there, so its entirely possible that he died 50 years ago in realtime terms.:p

That's just Brother Joe, He always sleeps like the dead.:skull:

Dalton
21-09-2009, 23:22
I have to say that Scipio is my favorite because of the dynamic, I'm going to rip the floor up, pose and his background. Although I really like Omnio and his Aliens style scanner.

wilsongrahams
22-09-2009, 09:12
Noctis, Deino and Goreil are my three main favourites as they are fantastic poses and don't need fancy gear to make them cool!

Chiron
22-09-2009, 20:21
Does anyone have any theories on why the hell he is ripping the floor up?

Dont have a favourite yet, I've been to busy painting genestealers to focus on the Termis

Temprus
23-09-2009, 02:14
Scipio and Omnio. One of my Scipio minis will be converted with a Cyclone and lead a "Long Fang pack". One of my Omnio minis will be fully converted into a Techmarine in Terminator Armor.

Gdolkin
23-09-2009, 12:17
I'd vote for Omnio's top half - I really don't like the way his legs are positioned - I can see they were going for the 'advancing along a corridor look' but it just looks like a combination of falling over and that weird knee-pop thing Elvis Presley used to do.
-Haha! So true. It looks like he's so wrapped up in analysing data he's forgotten how his legs work..

It's great how they gave the terminators personalities and even personal heraldry that is displayed on the mini! I like stories and this really helps to give the games more substance, making them more meaningful than just moving pieces of plastic on cardboard tiles.

--I quite agree, the fleshing out of the characters is brilliant and is the main attraction of the game for me along with the (mostly) gorgeous models.
But it's well annoying that they've made this mistake with Valencio. In the Mission Book the Mission that includes the fluff on Valencio refusing to abandon Lorenzo due to the honour debt he owes him (and that he's his hero) doesn't even include the chainfist marine :mad:

I'm always reminded of Sub zero's Fatality. Ages back (probably back when I started playing space hulk!) my primary Mortal Kombat opponent would always play him, and always pull that move off.

Nostalgia, with a wave of irritation. That and he looks totally badass :D
--That's Scorpion's death move, Subzero's was freezing you then shattering you with an uppercut IIRC. Good call though :)

Concerning Valencio, I believe he is left out of the squad in the game so that the missions using Squad Lorenzo use the Exact Same Forces as in the ortiginal game - missions one to five and eg.
--Why make so much of a point in the background that the chainfist marine is the newest member of the powersword sergeant's squad, owes him his life and totally looks up to him and wants to impress him, if those two models never actually fight in the same squad then eh? It spoils my immersion somewhat..

Oh, and they're all my favourite :) I've never been at all interested in Terminator models before these beauties came along, but the individualisation and dynamism of these has turned my head. Having said that, most of my marines have crappy Crux Terminatus's with the vertical cross-pieces kinda half-formed, purity seals melting into the armour they cover, and there's a few other bits of bad casting going on.. They look so crisp and sharp from the front, but have a good peer from every angle and they turn back into lumps of plastic.. Gonna have to paint 'em attentively to cover up bits that don't make sense..

wilsongrahams
23-09-2009, 15:12
This is the same with almost all of their new plastics if you look at them - even the 40k terminators. As you say though, careful painting will hide the rest if you're not confident with a scalpel to cut out the filled in areas. Fortunately the extra wires and details have been added in the areas where this is normally a problem.

MIGHTYPanhead
23-09-2009, 17:21
--That's Scorpion's death move, Subzero's was freezing you then shattering you with an uppercut IIRC. Good call though :)

No way man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ye7e41X5k) ;)

Scorpion's was .. taking his mask off and breathing fire? (he had a skull head)

I'm really looking forward to paintig him though :D

Gdolkin
24-09-2009, 14:40
I stand corrected, thanks for the link MIGHTYpanhead. I swear Subzero also did the shattering a frozen opponent thing too though..
Yes, Goriel is an ice-cold ninja murderous badass. He even has 'Gor' in his name:evilgrin::skull:

Gekiganger
27-09-2009, 18:56
I stand corrected, thanks for the link MIGHTYpanhead. I swear Subzero also did the shattering a frozen opponent thing too though..

*pushes glasses up from bridge of nose*
In MKII There were multiple finishing moves, one of subzeroes was to freeze and shatter his opponent, scorpion also had a variety (ranging from slicing their midsection from their legs with his spear, to above mentioned fire-skull burning).

My fave mini is probably Zeal - has a very 'room cleansing' feel to it.

Belial's Apprentice
27-09-2009, 23:58
I love the assault sergeant!! Bloody amazing figure!! pain in the ass to convert into Deathwing tho!! haha

Hicks
29-09-2009, 07:42
The one with the ripped out genestealer head and spine, Goriel I think. He looks so cool with the battle damage.

wilsongrahams
29-09-2009, 18:47
I like Goriel too. Am about to chop up my second one and give him a Chainfist as he is in the right pose to be slicing open a bulkhead.
Once all are done and painted (next year at this rate, lol) I will be posting pics. I have seven squads and the converted ones are at the back of the painting list.

Belial's Apprentice
05-10-2009, 08:17
I have started converting Sergeant Gideon today into a Deathwing terminator!! Looking good so far except Ive ran outa glue!! :( getting glue tomorrow to finish putting him together then onto painting!! WOO!!

Photographer
08-10-2009, 19:11
I like Scipio's pose as he's using his initiative by ripping up the floor in search of an escape route. Likewise, I admire the way Omnio is calm and collected.

Apologist
09-10-2009, 10:27
Omnio is calm and collected.

Calm and collected/making sure the techmarines downloaded the new Morrissey tracks to his iPod. :P

The quality of each of the figures is great – I find it hard to pick a favourite. That said, Omnio's definitely up there along with Noctis and Deino; but I think I'll plump for Scipio. The crouching pose is a new one for Terminators, and I think it works really well. It does have problems casting-wise, but he's a very narrative-driven piece, which I think works well. :)