PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with the Librarian?

Sleby
10-09-2009, 09:52
I find this guy frustrating to the point of insanity! Especially his force barrier power, it just seems so easy for him to thwart a stealer players plan.

How do you guys take him out?

wilsongrahams
10-09-2009, 09:59
Keep at him. He has only limited powers - if you can surround him he can only block one direction at a time, and if you can hang out around a corner you know he has to go round you'll get him in combat and soon use up his psi points.

Whyatever you do, if using the broodlord keep him well away from the librarian.

rev
10-09-2009, 10:08
agreed.

The golden rule with stealers is don't hunt piecemeal, and this is especially true with our blue friend. Taking a libby down in SH requires a careful application of force from 2 (or preferably more) directions. If you're an eldar player, then taking him down in this manner will be familar to you! If not then its a new skill to learn.

The way I normally deal with him is actually the same way I deal with LR's in 40k...

I ignore them (making sure they stay at arms length) until I've dealt with the majority of the rest of the force and then take it down with overwhelming force at the end.

Get a 3 blip deployed so he is blocked access to you by 2 or more of his marines and then run rampant in his backmarkers, using regular stealers to set up an ambush in front.

Rev

AndrewGPaul
10-09-2009, 10:44
Get behind him if possible, then he can't use psychic points in melee.

wilsongrahams
10-09-2009, 10:48
True but he is likely to use psi points as command points to turn around as you close on him so he can! Though this does use up his store of course.

AndrewGPaul
10-09-2009, 11:05
Only if the 'stealers sneaking up on him are in LOS of other Marines.

Also, he can't use Psychic Points as Command Points - he has to use Prescience in his own turn, does he not?

wilsongrahams
10-09-2009, 11:15
Ah you are probably right here - I haven't used prescience yet - I always play as if I have 1 CP and the rest are bonuses - a good habit to get into.
I know Psychic powers can be used at any time even after activating him - will have to check the rules as to whether he can do it out of turn. I guess not now I think about it.

Leeman Russ
10-09-2009, 11:40
... I always play as if I have 1 CP and the rest are bonuses - a good habit to get into...

Never was a truer word spoken. I always try and drum this into new players.

rev
10-09-2009, 12:09
I'm not sure its such a neccessary lesson in this ed. Although in prev ed's I'd agree, being able to 'repick' your chit means I've rarely played with less than 3cps.

torn
10-09-2009, 12:29
I'm not sure its such a neccessary lesson in this ed. Although in prev ed's I'd agree, being able to 'repick' your chit means I've rarely played with less than 3cps.

its a hard lesson to learn though when your used to re-picking and then your sergeant snuffs it, usually at a time when extra command points would be useful.

nedius
10-09-2009, 14:35
You can reasonably predict he'll be using an average of 1-3 points per round of combat, as well as what ever PPs he uses on other powers. So he'll be running very low after 4-5 turns of close up fighting. Just keep the combats coming ... he'll wear down eventually.

wilsongrahams
10-09-2009, 14:37
Well I have yet again proved why I play by this even in this ed - every time I have rolled a one for CP I have got it again from the repick. That was eight times in one mission today and at least five yesterday though wasn't counting then!

Used the Librarian for the second time just now and he managed to complete his level with barely seeing a genestealer. He certainly dominated the game and the only two marines lost were out of range for a barrier etc. Will let you know when I develop something good against him.

grg3d
10-09-2009, 14:41
Shoot him with a conversion Beemer :eek:

really side or rear attacks best way

snottlebocket
10-09-2009, 15:09
Literature suggests you can befriend him with a banana and some peanuts. Don't harm any books though.