PDA

View Full Version : Does being limited edition make you hesitate to convert?

FerociousBeast
10-09-2009, 13:37
Does the fact that Space Hulk is limited edition make you hesitate to convert anything very drastically? It does for me. Personally, I'm hesitant to even paint the models because of their supposed future rarity. As in: "I'll be a better painter in a year, maybe I should wait until then..."

GW might release the sprues again in the future, but if they don't, we have one crack at these models, and that's kind of intimidating to me.

Leeman Russ
10-09-2009, 13:51
I thought about it for a while before taking the plunge (admittedly, I've got two sets - the second set will be heavily converted) but then I figured, I won't be selling it on to make a profit at any stage, so why worry?

It's worth far more to me as a fun game all in one box which I can play for many years to come anyhow. Even more so now I've devoted a bit of time to base up the terminators and paint them (although I haven't painted them yet...)

azraelezekiel
10-09-2009, 13:55
I will not be painting mine.
I have enough terminators and stealers painted up to use as replacements.
The originals are going into storage.

grg3d
10-09-2009, 14:15
Well call me bad I only wanted the rules...:eek:

I have traded away all the figures as I bought 2 boxes of terminators and 1 box of assault terminators and the brood lord figure.

"The Plan" going to magnetize the termie's and all the arms so that will give me 3 squads equipped with anything I want.....

I just didn't know that there was so much hate for the pose on the Brood Lord figure "Hug giver?"....

Aegius
10-09-2009, 14:22
Originally I wanted to remove all of the blood angels iconography and paint them on 40mm bases as eagle warriors. When I found out that the game was a limited run only, I decided to just paint them as blood angels, I didn't want to risk ruining any of the models. If the models are released seperately at any stage, I shall be turning at least a few of them into eagle warriors that will be mixed amongst other terminator squads.

nedius
10-09-2009, 14:31
I got two sets, one to keep as is, the other to convert and paint. That way, I have the 'as intended' set, and the 'as I want' set!

wilsongrahams
10-09-2009, 14:32
I am going to be painting all of my models - I have bought two normal squads for practise first to decide my colours though. I'm quite a proficient painter so am not worried about only getting one shot at them.

The figures were the main reason I bought them within ten seconds of hearing about it - there was no way I wasn't going to paint them up and game with them - I am also careful so they won't get damaged though.

I love the poses as they are so have seen no need to convert but I had looked into getting another set and mixing the parts up for more variety.

And I love the brood lord - very domineering in his pose. Haven't met him in combat yet though..

Pistols At Dawn
10-09-2009, 14:40
Not at all! I buy games for the playing primarily, and am not precious about the 'exclusivity' of Space Hulk at all. I'm getting my copy tonight, will slop some glue and paint on the minis and then play the damned thing till my eyes bleed.

Sure I could probably turn a profit if I kept it in the shrink wrap in the box for 5 years, but I don't really think like that. I keep my stuff in good condition, but it's not a museum piece.

loveless
10-09-2009, 15:52
I'll paint it up. I feel I can do Imperial armour decently enough to get a good standard out of the Terminators.

The Genestealers have me a bit concerned - I may pick up a box of them just to work out some color schemes before I start in on painting them (that and I might be able to do something about the 3-armed Genestealers that way :p )

Sunyavadin
10-09-2009, 16:03
These days limited edition means nothing.

The numbers on a "limited" run are huge. Loads of people will hang on to them to sell, so you'll be able to find them for a low cost for the foreseeable future.

Mine are already converted.

LostTemplar
10-09-2009, 16:04
I decided to buy and paint them blood angels, and then make a Space Wolves boarding party using FW terminators and the new Wolf guard terminators. :D

torn
10-09-2009, 16:37
definately painting mine, but no converting. Im not really a 40k player, and i like the blood angels history with space hulk to sticking with them. If i had 2 sets i would definately do another lot as deathwing. the converting might take some time, but it would be worth it i think.

athamas
10-09-2009, 16:56
multiple sets got for just this reason... 1 to play space hulk with, another to convert up for army.

Wicksy
10-09-2009, 17:14
I'm painting them up but i'm first going to practise on some AoBR terminators. The practise is going well, i just need to work on my fine blending techniques.

hereticdave
10-09-2009, 17:36
Yup i'm painting mine up, beautiful figures and to have it as a fully painted set would make the game really stand out - particularly to new players whom i'm hoping to interest in it.

As with many other people and being primarily an Eldar player i'm practicing on a few old 2nd Ed plastic marines to get my scheme and process down.

Anyone else find the painting guide on GW helpful?

grissom2006
10-09-2009, 17:43
Nope not in the slightest i bought it to use it and enjoy it as such i plan to do so.

Wickey the Viking
10-09-2009, 17:47
I'm not worlds best painter, but I'm painting them anyway...

Darnok
10-09-2009, 18:30
Simple answer: yes. That is why I bought multiple sets. One for using it as it i, one for conversions etc.

torn
10-09-2009, 19:02
Anyone else find the painting guide on GW helpful?

over the last month or so ive been putting the GW masterclasses online to good use, and the guide for lorenzo in white dwarf is helpful. so much so i went and bought how to paint citadel miniatures book, and thats actually very good.

doghouse
10-09-2009, 20:07
Heck no...

http://i32.tinypic.com/2dvli88.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/2dl6q2g.jpg

http://i29.tinypic.com/209hdgl.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/2dlirrp.jpg

torn
10-09-2009, 20:30
nice i love them. how difficult was the torso swaps?

doghouse
10-09-2009, 20:33
Torso swaps are a little tricky because the they are especially molded to fit the specific models.
The first guy required a little filling but arm swaps are probably the easiest part to pull off.
With a little work you probably could introduce some AoBR terminator parts into the mix and vice versa.

rev
10-09-2009, 20:43
Doghouse you are SUCH a freaking legend.

rev

Ronin_eX
10-09-2009, 21:02
I'll not be converting any of them but they will be painted. My next project after that is to get together a second set of terminators painted up as old school black and red Deathwing (along with some custom objectives).

I figure it will be nice to have the variety.

My project after that will probably be converting other races to be used and I think my first try will be rounding up some of the old metal storm troopers and make an IG set of rules along with converting up some hybrids, a magus or two and a proper patriarch. :D

doghouse
10-09-2009, 21:49
Doghouse you are SUCH a freaking legend.

rev

Thanks mate! :D

I've got a project log up and running here: http://z6.invisionfree.com/Conflict_Zone/index.php?showtopic=586

The Brood Lord is my favourite conversion so far though.

strewart
11-09-2009, 04:56
What would you need to convert? They are such awesome models as they are...

I don't mind attacking them with a brush though, it is easy enough to strip paint later if need be. But I definitely see what you mean about being more hesitant to convert limited ed models, or for me even really large/expensive ones.

wilsongrahams
11-09-2009, 09:54
Those conversions are flawless. Are they simple body swaps mostly? I intend getting more to do similar with but haven't yet looked at the exact details that may obscure each part from joining one it wasn't meant to.

I'm a confident modeller to convert things but it's always nice to have an easy time of it.

Leeman Russ
11-09-2009, 10:13
Argh, I can't see Doghouse's pics or project log at work :( I'll have to wait til I get home!

hwd
11-09-2009, 10:20
I didn't want to convert them as they look awesome and I didn't need terminators for any of my armies...

Then I read the space wolves rumours and am now heavily tempted to wolf them up a bit for some kick ass looking wolf guard terminator troops!

Also Doghouse's look great too

WildAnimal
11-09-2009, 10:40
I just buy several set to have something to convert on.

wilsongrahams
11-09-2009, 19:42
I already have five terminator squads and so will be waiting before getting more to convert them. I am thinking ten squads should be enough... Another set of the space hulk terminators would be great though as it saves having to sculpt the extra detail.

(Since space hulk came out I've been putting personal heraldry on every terminator that doesn't have a forgeworld shoulder pad)