PDA

View Full Version : Going Digital

grg3d
10-09-2009, 14:23
So with all this talk of the sand timer being inaccurate and maybe people adding in captains or other 1st or 2nd rules to the game who else is going to use a digital timer?

nedius
10-09-2009, 14:29
If I could find a good sci-fi/gothic looking timer, then maybe. The other thing I'm considering is an idea I saw someone else mention - use a sound editor to make a 3 min sound effect of increasing urgency - sonar, heart beats, gunfire etc, then play it from my phone/notebook each turn.

blackbabyjesus
10-09-2009, 16:52
it'd get really really boring listening to the same sound over and over again though.

IncrediSteve
10-09-2009, 19:27
Mine is only a scant second or two over 3 minutes; when it doesn't jam up that is!

About 1/3 times mine gets clogged and stops pouring in the middle of a turn.

We used a stopwatch on my pal's phone, and it worked, but really took the flavor out of it. Not sure if having a laptop on the board is desirable either.

torn
10-09-2009, 19:53
digital kitchen timers are the way forwards. 3 buttons, nice and small, and if need be, boiled eggs all around.

Cpt. Drill
11-09-2009, 00:00
If I could find a good sci-fi/gothic looking timer, then maybe. The other thing I'm considering is an idea I saw someone else mention - use a sound editor to make a 3 min sound effect of increasing urgency - sonar, heart beats, gunfire etc, then play it from my phone/notebook each turn.

THis is a really good premis for an idea butI think it would get annoying seeing as how many times you have to listen to it. WHat I think might be better would be a 3min soundtrack that you can just press play on at the beginning of your turn that when you have 2 minutes left it says "Two minutes left sarge" or something similar and could warn you at 1 min and thirty seconds maybe?

Wintertooth
11-09-2009, 00:51
Good quality, reasonably accurate 3 minute hourglasses are easy to find. I got a fancy brass and glass one from a department store for eight quid at the weekend after seeing the sticky, inaccurate, "different times in different directions" Space Hulk offering. There are plastic ones on ebay for under 2.

Nothing beats trickling sand for a sense of urgency in my opinion, but if I was going for a digital solution, it would have to be some kind of segmented red LED deal straight out of James Bond, that starts flashing on and off when it hits the last thirty seconds.