PDA

View Full Version : Multiple sets?

LessThanSimple
10-09-2009, 20:35
So my Space Hulk box finally arrived at my door today. Holy crap is it heavy. :eek:

Anyway, after peeling it open and rifling through the contents I began to wonder if I shouldn't have bought that second set after all. I can't help but think it would be awesome to combine two sets and make a HUGE map with a ridiculous amount of Genestealers. My local GW still has a bunch of boxes left and i'm very tempted to buy another one.

What do you guys think? Has anyone else had this idea?

~LTS

rev
10-09-2009, 20:42
I've traded for an extra set of floor plans and am writing UBER missions as we speak. plus it gives me the geeky advantage of being able to play the current missions with tiles that all have the same colour light shading... sweet...

goroul
10-09-2009, 20:47
I have a couple of friends who have also purchased sets, so we are already dreaming up thoughts of games using three (maybe four) sets for some MASSIVE hulk games :D

Goroul

LessThanSimple
10-09-2009, 20:52
I think what really makes me want to buy another set are the ladder tiles. A three level Space Hulk game? yes please.

~LTS

athamas
10-09-2009, 20:55
i got two just for this reason..

i then ordered a third in a fit of madness.. i mayy sell on the board and tiles form this set and convert the models.. not sure yet.. its waiting for me 4000 miles away...

CRasterImage
10-09-2009, 20:56
A map made from 3 or 4 sets? Wow. You are going to need a VERY large surface to play on.

You can pretty much take up a large (4' x 6') dining room table with just 1 set.

goroul
10-09-2009, 21:03
We may resort to using the floor!

GrogsnotPowwabomba
10-09-2009, 21:11
A map made from 3 or 4 sets? Wow. You are going to need a VERY large surface to play on.

You can pretty much take up a large (4' x 6') dining room table with just 1 set.

Mission 2 REQUIRES a table at least 4' x 5'...

doghouse
10-09-2009, 22:41
A second set is actually a really good idea. I've found that you have loads more end pieces that you can use for enter areas and generally fight larger battles.
I've also found some uses for the spare tiles by converting them.

CRasterImage
10-09-2009, 22:55
A second set is actually a really good idea. I've found that you have loads more end pieces that you can use

I can agree with this. Also, extra rooms. While messing around with map design, I have found myself wishing there was an extra 4 door room, or and extra 3 door room, etc...

Also, it would be nice to have two:
- flamer marines.
- Assault Cannon marines.
- Lightning Claws marines.
- Power Sword wielding seargents
- T-Hammer & S-Shield marines.

So, not only can 2 sets make larger maps. But it can make smaller maps with greater range of tile choice and squads with more weapon options.

Haunted_Undead
10-09-2009, 23:25
I got 2 to use together a well. Though Im having second thoughts on the 2nd one which i havent even taken out the box never mind opened it yet lol. Difficult decisions whether to keep it or not

AFnord
11-09-2009, 07:49
Large games you said?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/64826
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/76250

AndrewGPaul
11-09-2009, 08:35
Igot two sets, partly for big maps, but partly to get 2 full standard squads (Sergeant w/ SB/PS, Marine w/ HF/PF, 3 Marines with SB/PF), so I can play the missions from 1st and 2nd edition with the original set of Marines.

KroSha
11-09-2009, 13:31
Don't worry about getting the minis; I'm sure they'll be out soon enough. Go for the board sections. It's all about map size....

wilsongrahams
11-09-2009, 14:48
I have to settle with using 2nd ed tiles for the larger maps and it looks bad but is playable. Two sets is a must for playing the old sword of halcyon campaign anyway.

I think I'll have a root around somewhere to find other players in my area...

torn
11-09-2009, 16:07
I got a second set from my local GW today, mainly or the map tiles, but i also think 2 marine display board things will be useful for multiplayer, and so will more blips etc.

marine models will be going on ebay, with the objectives and broodlord.

commandergabriel
11-09-2009, 20:02
but i also think 2 marine display board things will be useful for multiplayer, and so will more blips etc.

YES! I always buy in two's. I have multiple 1st editions, multiple 2nd editions and now two 3rd editions.

Large hulks are great fun, but remember... especially on the BGG link posted above, that your terminators only move up to (on average) 2 squares per turn (when you take into account the combat and waiting on overwatch). If you make your own huge hulks, then consider that both sides get extra APs per turn to keep things going. Otherwise your games will last for hours and hours or you'll just get bored and distracted.

Also, large hulks tend to favor the genestealers because the objective becomes (for the stealers) bogging down the marines as quickly as possible...

LessThanSimple
11-09-2009, 20:36
Well, I get paid next week and since I have holiday pay on it (Hooray labor day!) I think i'll spend a little on another set. I have to say though, I foresee a storage issue. How are you guys taking care of all those extra pieces?

torn
11-09-2009, 22:20
1 space hulk box for map tiles, and probably the other box or something smaller for everything else. It looks like everything space hulk is fetching a rediculous price on ebay im tempted to try and sell the empty box lol.