PDA

View Full Version : New Tyranid unit?

Sleby
11-09-2009, 11:36
I was just reading the nid fluff in the back of the mission book and it mentions "Nord Queens" as being synapse units. Has anyone heard of these things before?

It's not exactly unprecedented for GW to slip hints in current books for upcoming releases is it?

nedius
11-09-2009, 12:43
They are pretty common in the nid fluff. They are the primary hive node for any individual hive fleet - perhaps the main embodyment of the hivemind itself.

adamwelton
11-09-2009, 12:53
Norn Queens are the moon-sized bioships at the heart of every hive fleet. They give birth to other hive ships of smaller size and task. They are ultimately the "queen bee" of any swarm. The Imperium has figured out that eliminating these causes fleets to split and break up, but another queen is birthed when the original queen dies, which makes it all happen again and the splinter fleets eventually carry on as if nothing had happened after a period of confusion. It's these nightmares that provide the ultimate and most powerful synapse signal in a Tyranid fleet, as nedius has explained above.

snottlebocket
11-09-2009, 13:20
They are pretty common in the nid fluff. They are the primary hive node for any individual hive fleet - perhaps the main embodyment of the hivemind itself.

I always hated this about tyranid fluff, a hive mind can't have an embodiment, that's the opposite of a hivemind.

Urza
11-09-2009, 13:32
I always hated this about tyranid fluff, a hive mind can't have an embodiment, that's the opposite of a hivemind.

Whilst Nedius was incorrect about the Norn Queen being the embodiment of the Hive Mind, he was correct about it being the Central Node / Nexus Point of the Hive Mind for any given Tyranid Fleet.

The Norn Queen is also basically a gigantic living bio-weapons factory. All bio-matter stripped from planets that are victims of a Tyranid invasion eventually finds its way back to the Norn Queen in the form of a DNA 'soup', which she then injests and then stitches back together in the form of Tyranid Constructs - everything from gribbly little Tyranid beetles through to Warriors through to Hive Fleet Ships is birthed by the Norn Queen.

Leeman Russ
11-09-2009, 13:36
I always thought the Norn Queen was what was carried on the back of the Dominatrix (epic scale model). Or has that since been retconned?

shadow hunter
11-09-2009, 14:51
I thought it was that Epic cow/beetle/mammoth thing too.

Sleby
11-09-2009, 19:51
Well colour me embarrassed :p