PDA

View Full Version : People don't understand the Overwatch rules and use of CP.

WildAnimal
11-09-2009, 10:37
Many people seems to not understand the Overwatch rules and the use of CP.

Most people play with instant Unjam/clear storm Bolter when on OVerwatch, and then shoot right
away with Sustained fire. This is NOT correct. and unbalaced the game for the Stealer player.

Problem is that people don't remember that the Stealer player have to do an action before the
Marine can use CP's, so the stealer player have to move before the marine can unjam/clear his
storm bolter.

And then becouse the ujam/clearing action, is between shooting actions, then the sustained fire
rule can't be used becouse that requires that the marine firing actions is taking without interuptions.

Example:

Marine on overwatch, 1 CP left. Stealer right ahead with 5 spaces between him and the marine.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stealer: Moves one space.

Marine : Shoots: Miss (6+ to kill)

Marine : Shoots: Miss (5+ to kill-sustained fire)

Stealer: Moves one space

Marine : Shoots: Miss and jam. (5+ to kill-sustained fire)

Stealer: Moves one space

Marine : Unjams/clear bolter

Marine : Shoots: Miss (6+ to kill. No sustained fire!!!)

Stealer: Attacks and ofcourse kill the marine.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

nedius
11-09-2009, 11:40
Not come across anyone misplaying this rule myself, but well explained, anyway!

Succurso
11-09-2009, 12:03
I think me and my bro have been playing this wrong. Thanks for the clarification. Certainly gonna make those long corrider runs slightly more viable now. :)

PeeKay
11-09-2009, 12:40
I was not certain about this but that clears it up

Morlu
11-09-2009, 15:06
I may have read this wrong though but i was under the impression that command points could be used at any point during the stealers thus allowing things to happen out of sequence? I agree that after a bolter is unjammed the next shot should not benefit from the sustained fire bonus but I was under the impression that you could spend a CP to unjam the bolter before the stealer gets to move again.

nedius
11-09-2009, 15:34
No, you can only use CPs to perform an action after a stealer in LOS has made an action.

So in the above example, the stealer makes an action, you fire and jam, you cannot then use cps until the stealer has made another action, at which point you clear the jam. you will then fire the next time it makes an action. This is a small concession to the improved overwatch.

torn
11-09-2009, 16:10
thanks for the clarification. im sure i was doing it right anyways, although i am still getting myself confused over what is sustained fire and what is not!

GrogsnotPowwabomba
11-09-2009, 17:00
I thought the rules were pretty clear and haven't seen anyone make this mistake myself, but thanks anyway. :p

xSuperioRx
11-09-2009, 17:06
Good example, this is exactly how we've played it over here. Good to see that we played it correctly :)

Spirit
12-09-2009, 00:05
I have seen the error of my ways.

torn
12-09-2009, 00:13
clearing a jam is an action, so is firing on overwatch. a marine can only perform 1 action for every action he sees the genestealer do. So the genestealer moves towards him one space he can use his overwatch fire. if he jams that is that turn over. If the stealer doesnt move again he cant fire again, so why should he be able to clear his jam if the stealer doesnt move again?

neXus6
12-09-2009, 00:30
I think what spirit was thinking was that the "a marine can only perform 1 action for every action he sees the genestealer do" only applied to the CP spending, and not to the "free" action. However as we've worked out it isn't REALLY a free action, it is an action that costs 0ap...thus preventing the jam clearance.
:)

Rhamag
12-09-2009, 17:47
On a related matter, the marine player can make a CP action or fire overwatch if the stealer player closes/opens a door in his LOS. Some people seem to have missed this in games I've watched in store.

twistinthunder
12-09-2009, 19:31
theres a thread for things like this its called the rules questions and this has been answered already

Vote Kantor
13-09-2009, 06:52
This may be just from second edition, but i thought that you could not get sustained fire on overwatch

wilsongrahams
13-09-2009, 07:16
You couldn't in second edition, you can now.

antinice
13-09-2009, 20:42
Not come across anyone misplaying this rule

We were. Thanks for the thread. Sometimes SH rules are not laid out to make learning them (or perhaps remember them) easy. They need an editor.

T10
13-09-2009, 20:46
No, you can only use CPs to perform an action after a stealer in LOS has made an action.

This is important since int means you can't just take your standard actions, wait for the Genestealers to finish their stuff and then use your unspent command points.

-T10

Chaplain Severus
13-09-2009, 23:54
theres a thread for things like this its called the rules questions and this has been answered already

The four pages full of questions is not helpful at all.

Questions are answered with conflicting answers.

There is no order and it is over 5+ pages long.

Trying to find an answer there is tedious at best.

An edited FAQ is in order. Until then I find it easier to find answers and respond to them in these one off posts.

Just my opinion. :)

Interrogator-Chaplain Severus

WildAnimal
14-09-2009, 04:03

I made this post becouse of the Q&A thread is impossible to navigate in, with several different answers to the same question.

and I made this thread becouse this is an very importent rule, which can unbalance the game if not understood right. and also the most common rule which most can't figure out.