PDA

View Full Version : Just an idea for a mission...

Cpt. Drill
11-09-2009, 15:53
This mission has not been playtested in any way, its purely speculation.

The idea is its more room to room conflict than corridors. The space marines are hunting genestealer eggs (Im thinking facehugger style eggs) or anything that you feel is more appropriate, they will basically be as tough genestealers to kill, they will win when all the objectives have been destroyed.

The marines will rpobably just start with 5 termies and I was thinking to have the genestealers just get one blip a turn but they might start with blips in some of the rooms. I was hoping that with the close confines of the map and so many doors that is what will make the game hard instead of just having hordes of genestealers coming at you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/tomandjoe/Clense-1.jpg

Well what do you think? Is it a dud?

goroul
11-09-2009, 16:56
Sounds like a fun idea,

what kind of terminator weapon load out were you thinking? Also how many blips per turn?

Goroul

CRasterImage
11-09-2009, 17:02
I think it has potential. You need to decide if flamers should be able to nuke a room in a single shot or not. To give your eggs a proper 40k name, look up tyranids on the lexicanum wiki. I think there is something called a spawn pool or something like that.

I like the idea of having there be a bunch of blips already in existance and few blips arriving later. That puts a different dynamic on it.

Perhaps we need a "Blip goes here at start" tile to signify starting blip positions. (or possible starting blip positions,) The existing 12 missions all seem to have starting blips appear at the spawn points. Having them start in mid-map locations could be useful.

AFnord
11-09-2009, 17:48
Genestealers don't lay eggs, but they might be hosts, or something else that seems fitting. It's a good mission concept, although 1 blip/turn might not be enough. 5 termies are more than capable of dealing with that. Instead, why not have an increasing amount of blips (like in mission 7).
Turn 1-3: 1 blip
Turn 4-6: 2 blips
Turn 7+: 3 blips
to represent the stealers mounting a defense in order to protect their valuable hosts. At first the stealers are a bit off guard, but as soon as they realize what is going on, more and more stealers from the surounding starts swarming the area. This would add a sense of urgency for the marine player, who has to destroy the hosts swiftly, before the stealers overrun them.

wilsongrahams
11-09-2009, 19:23
I agree with the mounting defence but will need more quickly, as one or two marines can cover the entrances whilst the rest get on with the objective. Assume the targets are hosts or something?

Otherwise I love the map - plenty of rooms - after all, how many buildings or ships are made up of corridors? Corridors simply link rooms in reality so this misison feels like a good misison - similar to one in the sword of halcyon campaign.

torn
11-09-2009, 19:31
i like the map layout, very well done.

2 things though

1) genestealers dont lay eggs, as mentioned. I would have captured blood angel serfs they want to use as hosts.

2) i think this would be a better challenge for gideons squad, not lorenzos.

I think 2 blips ate the start and 2 per turn is about right or it might be just too easy to walk through.

snottlebocket
11-09-2009, 19:47
Maybe you should come up with some rules to represent hibernating genestealers. Remember how the marines in Aliens walked right into the hive and didn't even notice the aliens until they started waking up.

Instead of having blips you could line the rooms with genestealers or blips (essentially turning rooms into corridors as far as free squares are concerned) The marines can't see the hibernating genestealers which only wake up when an event is triggered (like a d6 roll or something)

Could make for some nervewracking games considering the nids are already in position but you never know which ones are going to wake up.

Cpt. Drill
11-09-2009, 21:15
Maybe you should come up with some rules to represent hibernating genestealers. Remember how the marines in Aliens walked right into the hive and didn't even notice the aliens until they started waking up.

Instead of having blips you could line the rooms with genestealers or blips (essentially turning rooms into corridors as far as free squares are concerned) The marines can't see the hibernating genestealers which only wake up when an event is triggered (like a d6 roll or something)

Could make for some nervewracking games considering the nids are already in position but you never know which ones are going to wake up.

That is an awesome idea! the idea of them waking is really cool and the potential destruction that one wrong stealer waking up would be terrifying. Maybe have any gunshot fired within 'x' squares of them (or maybe room for simplicity) wake up on a 6?

I think the esxcaltion rules would be good aswell. Maybe have a wierd table like this (might be to complicated)

Each turn the genestealer rolls a dice and adds the number of "sleeping Genestealers" that have been killed.

1-5 One blip
6-10 two blips
11-14 three blips
14+ Brood Lord

Either this is rolled each turn and is different... Or once you have rolled the "two blips" you get that each turn until you roll higher.

As for the objectives I was thinking eggs because I have watched aliens recently and also have an abundance of pistachio nuts which would make great eggs. But you could use anything that the genestealers would want to defend. I still think im gonna make some egg clusters on 3x3cm bases because they will look cool... maybe just say that genestealers are growing something that blood angles dont like and want destroyed...

As for the flamer I think you should be able to use it especially to nuke rooms... Of course there are far more than six rooms down there so you are going to need to choose your targets wisely.

im really glad that people like the idea... please tweak or change and comment as much as you like.