PDA

View Full Version : Is Valencio mislabeled?

serpentus
11-09-2009, 22:22
I wonder if brother Valencio is mislabeled.

In the fluff part in the back of the mission book and in the missions stories Valencio is clearly part of squad Lorenzo.

But the gameplay squad Lorenzo doesn’t include the marine with a chainfist, that model is listed as part of squad Gideon.

The character fluff section also shows each marines heraldry and that does matches the chainfists model. This makes me wonder if they mixed up Valencio’s heraldry.

So going with this train of thought, who is Valencio mixed up with?
Well from squad Gideon, Gideon himself and Leon are definitely the correct model. I also think that Omnio is correct as checking his scanner fits his fluff.

So this leaves us with either Noctis or Scipio. Im more inclided to think that scipio and Valencio could be mixed, the big “iron halo” on the chain fist model could indicate that he is a potential sergeant. And I always found scipio’s pose really odd, did he drop a penny?

I wanted to paint the guys from the 2 squads with small differences (for example black vs red stormbolter casings) but this has me confused.

I wonder what you guys think about this.

torn
11-09-2009, 22:32
I think the mistake is in the missions, not the fluff. In the novel valencio is clearly in lorenzo's squad. I do see where you are coming from though, as he is never used in the game in squad lorenzo its a bit strange.

I also find it strange how he isnt present in the mission that has jammed doors!

LostTemplar
12-09-2009, 01:12
I too think the squads are a bit mixed, but its hardly troubling. :)

GirathonB
12-09-2009, 04:40
In the novel, Valenco has a chainfist, so it is definitely the missions that are mixed up. When I play, I switch him to the missions he should be in. Its not like the chain fist is THAT useful

serpentus
12-09-2009, 09:33
i agree, i think ill also switch the chainfist model into squad lorenzo.

wilsongrahams
12-09-2009, 11:12
The model and novel etc are all right, but the missions do not use him as they are direct copies from the originals that had no chainfist - hence the difference. You can still use him in the squad but treat him as a power fist marine. You only ever use the chainfist instead of opening a door if it's jammed shut anyway.

destroyerlord
12-09-2009, 12:02
I noticed this and planned on swapping Scipio and Valencio when I paint mine up. It wakes sense to me, if only because the chainfist is a part of squad Gideon.
It makes things easier if you stick to the forces in the mission book...especially when the only people you are ever likely to play aren't wargamers, and so would probably assume I was cheating in changing the forces around.

wilsongrahams
12-09-2009, 16:51
I use whatever models I want during my games anyway - I have found Omnio falls over easily so don't use him when I have limited forces. Rules wise they play the same. Once I have finished basing them all on 40mm round bases I iwll return to using the models i need.

serpentus
14-09-2009, 00:09
Ive found another small thing that points towards that the actual valencio model is part of squad Lorenzo.

All models in squad Lorenzo have 1 blood drop on their left shoulder pad, including valencio.

And all models in squad Gideon have 2 blood drops on their left shoulder, only leon has 1 on the front but has 2 on the back, his shoulder ornament is in the way…

Its small stuff like that that I really like and will try to enhance through painting.