PDA

View Full Version : Heartbeat Timer?

Vote Kantor
13-09-2009, 07:39
I was wondering if anybody had found a good application for a heartbeat timer?

Thanks!

nedius
13-09-2009, 08:23
If you can find a good heartbeat sound effect, you can make one using a sound editor like Audacity. You'd just have to play it from an MP3 player with speakers, or a mobile phone or something.

I must admit, I usually play at my local GW. The gaming room is FAR too loud to hear something as quiet as a heart beat timer, so I think I'll be going for something more like a better sand timer.

Vote Kantor
13-09-2009, 09:14
okay, thanks

lagoon83
13-09-2009, 15:42
I've gone ahead and made one using Wavepad and a load of SFX from various free sites. It's a bit more than just a simple heartbeat, but I thought I'd have some fun with it. The plan is to make half a dozen or so, to avoid people getting bored with hearing the same noises each turn.

Anyway, here it is! It's a fraction of a second under 3 minutes, but no one's gonna complain about that... right?*

Just go here (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e2eef5ada200ec60d1014a7a667fa2b4e04e75f6 e8ebb871) and download "3 minute timer". Feel free to have a look at the pdf that's there as well, it's my attempt at re-skinning the Spawn of Execration campaign in the new edition using the awesome drag-and-drop mapmaker by CRasterImage.

Enjoy!

*Someone's going to complain about it :P

nedius
13-09-2009, 18:12
I've gone ahead and made one using Wavepad and a load of SFX from various free sites. It's a bit more than just a simple heartbeat, but I thought I'd have some fun with it. The plan is to make half a dozen or so, to avoid people getting bored with hearing the same noises each turn.

Anyway, here it is! It's a fraction of a second under 3 minutes, but no one's gonna complain about that... right?*

Just go here (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e2eef5ada200ec60d1014a7a667fa2b4e04e75f6 e8ebb871) and download "3 minute timer". Feel free to have a look at the pdf that's there as well, it's my attempt at re-skinning the Spawn of Execration campaign in the new edition using the awesome drag-and-drop mapmaker by CRasterImage.

Enjoy!

*Someone's going to complain about it :P

I downloaded, and I did indeed enjoy! Very nice!

I think for my taste I may have had less shooting and battle, and more simple atmospherics, or at least make the battle sound distant, like in an adjacent part of the hulk. However, that is simply a matter of personal taste rather than a comment on what is actually a really nice little MP3!

lagoon83
13-09-2009, 20:49
Cool, noted. I'll make sure the next one I do's a lot more atmospheric and a lot less shooty, so you'll have one you can use!

IAMNOTHERE
13-09-2009, 21:18
Very nice but did you know it's a fraction under 3 minutes? :D

Did like it now I'm going to have aplay about with the editor, which sites did you use for the sfx btw?

lagoon83
13-09-2009, 21:38
Har har :P

I used http://www.a1freesoundeffects.com/ and http://www.soundeffects.ch/ mostly. Also, for the editor, you can also use Audacity - it's got a few more features, but isn't as user-friendly.

lagoon83
13-09-2009, 23:31
Same link as above - I've uploaded a second version, which is a bit more "ambient" and backgroundy, with less in-your-face action. Enjoy!

GrogsnotPowwabomba
14-09-2009, 15:33
Same link as above - I've uploaded a second version, which is a bit more "ambient" and backgroundy, with less in-your-face action. Enjoy!

Nice job man. I love them!

GrogsnotPowwabomba
14-09-2009, 22:42
I really liked that Mission 2,1 "Breakthrough" that you have on that site as well. How did you design the map image? I'd love to have the tools to play around with the maps myself to write up missions like this.

(Evil)Ash
20-09-2009, 20:11
that's a really cool idea to do a timer. especially since my hourglass doesn't always seem to run properly.

lagoon83
21-09-2009, 00:38
How did you design the map image? I'd love to have the tools to play around with the maps myself to write up missions like this.

Check this thread, and the awesome stuff that the poster's been doing:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217976

Good luck!

As for the map itself, it's an update of a second edition mission - I just rewrote the "colour text" slightly to get it more in line with the current style, and tweaked a couple of things. I'm planning on getting the rest up at some point, too!

GrogsnotPowwabomba
21-09-2009, 14:39
Yeah, I found the mapmaker on my own after I saw your work.

Now I just need a way to make PDF files and I'm golden. :p

lagoon83
22-09-2009, 12:52
I use Openoffice Writer - it lets you save documents as PDFs, which is insanely useful. I use loads of custom fonts, and I used to have to send documents as a zip file with the fonts included... this is so much easier!

In fact, Openoffice is just generally pretty awesome. Does everything MS Office does, without a huge wad of cash being necessary.

40kbolter
24-09-2009, 01:53
not bad at all keep up the good work.