PDA

View Full Version : turning corners and activation question

snottlebocket
13-09-2009, 09:14
The rulebook says a model can't move diagonally if it would pass between two squares containing a wall or a model. The example shows an illegal genestealer move where tries to move between a terminator AND a wall. Would the move still be illegal if the terminator was not there?

Also, a terminator is allowed to move and shoot as a single action. If the terminator uses this action to turn 90 degrees and he doesn't see a genestealer until he has completely turned, can he take the shot? Or does he have to see his target at the start of the move action? (I assume the former or the 90 degree turn would never result in a shot)

doghouse
13-09-2009, 09:20
If the terminator was not there then it wouldn't be moving between a model and a wall and so would be ok.
I'd say for the move and fire question it is a combination of move and fire so he could shoot the stealer because the move now brings the stealer into line of sight and they are performed as a single action.

wilsongrahams
13-09-2009, 09:58
Foir shooting and moving as well as the stealer's free turn, the extra action should take place after the move, so a marine can shoot if the move or turn brings the target into sight - he already kknows it's there from his scanner.

Similarly, if the stealer is facing a wall, it has to turn for 1ap before it can move rather than using a turn and move to just move away. This is to prevent the stealers turning around in a hallway without paying the points to do so - the free move is to make them faster around corners and junctions.

lagoon83
13-09-2009, 10:29
You sure about this? I'm fairly certain that it says "the free turn can be made before or after the action, but not both" (or something to that effect).

And now I've become one of those people who posts a load of conjecture because my rulebook's not to hand... damn.

snottlebocket
13-09-2009, 11:11
You sure about this? I'm fairly certain that it says "the free turn can be made before or after the action, but not both" (or something to that effect).

And now I've become one of those people who posts a load of conjecture because my rulebook's not to hand... damn.

I got it by hand and you're right. Before or after but not both.

torn
13-09-2009, 13:07
i thought it was only after, but you have nicely corrected my way of thinking :)

wilsongrahams
13-09-2009, 15:07
Oops you're right. My bad. Have checked the second ed book and that is where it was stated differently as the turns were still a seperate action but were free, and they had to be done after another action and not one after the other. A tip here would be to turn a genestealer 90 degrees in a corridor after it's move in case you want to change direction next turn.

T10
13-09-2009, 21:27
Foir shooting and moving as well as the stealer's free turn, the extra action should take place after the move, so a marine can shoot if the move or turn brings the target into sight - he already kknows it's there from his scanner.

The ability to move and fire is detailed in the Storm Bolter description (p. 19): the shot is taken after the move is completed.

Presumably this also applies to the Assault Cannon.

-T10

wilsongrahams
14-09-2009, 08:41
At least I was right on the shooting being after the move if not the stealers free turn.

One star for me. Yay.