PDA

View Full Version : Mission I Marine Help

Kurisu313
13-09-2009, 19:44
My brother and I have just started playing space hulk.

In 5 plays of mission 1, the genestealers have won every time. The marines don't even come close.

Any tactics to help us with this?

AFnord
13-09-2009, 19:54
While the SM tactics will differ a lot depending on how the genestealers arrive, there are a few important things to remember:
-Overwatch, overwatch and more overwatch! If your opponent sends a lot of genestealers from behind (near the SM starting area), put a SB marine on overwatch to guard your back.
-The flamer is your friend. With the flamer you can block of entire corridors, so use it to prevent the stealers from advancing. You only need to flame the room once to win, so you have 5 flame shots to play with. If you use the path closest to the room, send a normal marine forward, flame the junction, then use the marine that you sent forward to block the path for the genestalers/open the door and run into the room (depending on where the genestealers are, and how many CPs you got) and send the flamer towards the room the following turn.
-There is only one important marine. The flamer marine has to survive, all the other ones are expendable.

*edit* Marines are expendable, not expandable.

antinice
13-09-2009, 20:13
I had good luck with this mission as the Termies by keeping overwatch on the main entry hallway with one marine and another marine overwatching the other end of the same hallway. I recommend putting them back-to-back at the closer to the goal room.

The crux is the 4-way right by the goal room (pun intended!) and the hallway leading up to the goal room. The marines have to do a dance where the flamer can clear the short hallway, enter it, then turn 180 to flame the 4-way. Now the 'stealers are toast. That takes about 8 moves so conserve your Sergeant! While you're doing this dance, you have to shift your marines so that every approach to your flamer is covered by overwatch.

Leading from the front is for losers :skull: Keep you Sergeant alive because you may need to re-draw your command points when you are adjacent to the 4-way.

Another tip - hand-to-hand with genestrealers is a loser under the best of circumstances. Never advance a marine without good reason if it means moving closer to genestealers who can engage. Space Hulk is about area denial.

Another tip - Sometimes, you just lose.

wilsongrahams
13-09-2009, 20:15
Lol @ expandable. This is actually one of the easiest misisons once you have mastered how to use marines effectively. In mission one your flamer marine should be forth or fifth placed in the squad as he is in no rush to get anywhere until the others have cleared the way for him. The trick is to get the sergeant forwards quickly to turn left and around that corner and onto overwatch as the next two cover the parallel corridor and the one leading off to the right. The last bolter marine can hang back in the room watching the corridor to the right of the starting room.

Once on overwatch with long clear fire corridors you can trust your marines to hold all day, just remember that if there are stealers in view and not too close, fire a couple times then set overwatch as you will get more shots off than just shooting with the last ap's.

strewart
14-09-2009, 02:43
I had the same thing, where the marines were just getting butchered easily.. Even on overwatch, a couple of stealers have been able to get close to them and attack, which stops overwatch, yes? One thing we didn't realise is and didn't use is that sustained fire can be used during overwatch, that seems to be what other threads are suggesting.

When I played the marines, I got as far as the sarge 4 tiles away from the door to the flame room with 3 nids in the way, he kept firing and only killed 1. Covering the bottom horizontal corridor were 2 marines in overwatch. It was looking good, but then in one turn the stealers near the flame room came out killed the sarge, moved on and killed the flamer. Then one stealer from below came up and got through both overwatch marines, killing both. I went from 5 to 1 (covering the dead end) marine in 1 turn from 2 stealers when they were all on overwatch... Bad dice rolling didn't help but still.

Tyra_Nid
14-09-2009, 03:39
. In mission one your flamer marine should be forth or fifth placed in the squad as he is in no rush to get anywhere until the others have cleared the way for him.

I disagree, this is a mission that really benefits from an aggressive flamer.

Place the flamer second in line, with a marine in front.

First of all, leave one marine guarding in the first room so that no stealers can take you from the rear.

Send the first guy down the corridor with the flamer behind. First guy will protect at the juncture, while the flamer turns left and progresses down the short corridor flaming as he goes.

There isnt too much the Stealers can do about this unless the marines are unlucky and dont kill all the stealers in the flamed section. Ideally the flamer will be firing into the t-section closest to objective room and advancing, before quickly turning down the corridor and burning the room.

Alternately, send a marine down to the objective room to open the door for the heavy flamer, then flame the room with him in it (saw that happen last night).

snottlebocket
14-09-2009, 06:39
Speed is of the essence in this mission or you'll just get bogged down.

I place the flamer in the second place.

Exit the tube and head forward, if you got excess command points use them to move further. Leave one stormbolter guy to keep overwatch on the corridor leading to the dead end room.

Keep on moving, as soon as the first guy rounds the corner to head up to the upper of the two parallel corridors, the flamer guy has line of sight to flame the lower of the two cross sections. (usually genestealers have been amassing there, anyway you got the flamer templates so just block the intersection, never hurts)

Next turn, keep on moving. the flamer guy rounds the corner to head towards the upper of the parallel corridors. The first guy is probably heading for the upper intersection, put him on overwatch if necesary. Down in the lower corridor leave someone on overwatch to cover that place.

After that you can flame wherever you need to in the upper corridor before heading for the final room.

Command points help a lot in this mission, enough speed allows you to block the genestealers everywhere with overwatch and flamer templates before they can get into position. If you go too slow they'll just amass in every corner and turn the whole thing into a luck based excersize of will he kill or will he jam.

eriochrome
14-09-2009, 12:56
I think you should remember to shoot doors as you move toward them. Can help save action points.

wilsongrahams
14-09-2009, 13:01
Also - the flamer can open his own door - the rest should be covering his back - he can look after anyone waiting for him on his own, he has six shots and you only need one to win, so use the other five if you need to.

Starblayde
15-09-2009, 09:27
I have watched as a GW staff member did Mission One with just the Flamer-armed marine. Command points were almost universally spent on running the fella away from the stealers, and the shooting was to block the junctions.

He made it by a single square, as he was at the door and the closest 'stealer finished his movement in the square behind him. Very well played, that man.

Kurisu313
15-09-2009, 09:46
Thanks for the help so far! :)

Kahadras
15-09-2009, 19:26
For mission one I tend to lead off with a storm bolter armed Terminator followed by the sergeant, the other two normal Terminators and then the Flamer at the back. The first Terminator peels off to cover the corridor and spawn points on the right. At the junction the sergeant turns left while the Storm botlter armed Marine moves up and covers the corridor.

The sergeant then pumps his action points to get around the corner and deal with any Genestealers lurking near the door. The sergeant then pushes on down that corridor with the last Stormbolter armed Terminator and the Flamer in tow. The Sergeant and the Terminator then cover the junction as the Flamer moves up and deals with the room.

The Terminator that peeled off can fall back slowly towards the target room to provide some cover in case any Marines go down. The first time I played this mission as the Marines I won hands down. The second time I was thwarted by incredably bad dice rolls but still almost made it to the objective. There's very little you can do if you keep rolling doubles while firing on overwatch TBH.

Kahadras

scarletsquig
15-09-2009, 21:50
The Terminator that peeled off can fall back slowly towards the target room to provide some cover in case any Marines go down. The first time I played this mission as the Marines I won hands down. The second time I was thwarted by incredably bad dice rolls but still almost made it to the objective. There's very little you can do if you keep rolling doubles while firing on overwatch TBH.

At least the jam rules are a lot better than previous editions, they used to be a nightmare... one jam during overwatch and the genies would all go "right lads, he's jammed, charge" followed by about 20 of the damn things that had been lurking around all game charging in and killing everything.

At least that's how it happened when I played the game as a kid, never once won a game as marines, my friend only ever played the worst air-duct missions from the expansion (the ones with a duct right behind any remotely decent overwatch spot), and only ever played genestealers. Git.

Tyra_Nid
16-09-2009, 04:54
At least the jam rules are a lot better than
At least that's how it happened when I played the game as a kid, never once won a game as marines, my friend only ever played the worst air-duct missions from the expansion (the ones with a duct right behind any remotely decent overwatch spot), and only ever played genestealers. Git.

He sounds like a fun guy to game with!

Sureshot05
17-09-2009, 15:15
I concur with what has been said above. We've found the real crux in this mission is all about control of the first tee-junction. If the marines can get around it first, then they are in a strong position. Let the genestealers get their first and it is very hard to win. For exapandable marines ;), use command points to make sure you get around the tee-junction corner first, after that, overwatch becomes a a strong friend as does the flamer.

It is also important not to get caught up on the idea of not firing the flamer. You have 5 shots and they can be vital for clearing out large packs of stealers.

There is more, but don't want to spoil all the fun, half of it is working out the tactics to a map and that applies to both sides.

Zark the Damned
17-09-2009, 15:42
Agreed, the 4-way cross is the main area to concentrate on. If you can get your Flamer there you're probably good to go. Get him into the left most corridor as soon as possible and advance down there, flaming the cross until he's close enough to dash around the corner to the objective. Use the other guys to stop 'stealers getting behind him.

I find the trick is to get into place as fast as possible. Don't waste much time getting into defensible positions if you can avoid it as this gives the stealers chance to pile reinforcements ahead of you.

Do not be afraid of using a few flamer bursts to block off key junctions - you only need to keep 1 shot in order to win the mission.

Caern
17-09-2009, 21:56
My favourite way to complete this mission as the Marines is to start in the order Chainfist/Sergeant/Flamer/Regular/Regular. I enter the first door and shoot at the other door as the Chainfist marine peels off diagonally forward with his last move, keeping him from blocking the path of the marines behind him. Any command points I have this turn are spent having the next guy in line (Sarge) haul ass down the hallway. Everyone else follows in a line, and this now puts the flamer in front (once the sarge turns a corner) so he can block off areas if need be, like that first visible intersection.
Over the course of the next turns Sarge will go through the door (or sit there, go on guard, and let them come to him if I don't have enough points to kill everything) and do battle with whatever is in the hall. If he survives, great. If not, by then the flamer has come up behind him and burns his way through the hall and out to the finish line while everyone else sits in the other hall on overwatch to prevent genestealers coming up from behind. Once you succeed at getting your flamethrower into that hall (the one that approaches the north-most 4-way and is accessed via a door), only incredible luck or horrible mistakes on your part can stop you, because you can keep flaming that 4-way intersection as you approach it and it is the ONLY way into the final room. This keeps the Genestealers out while you creep forward. Then when it's your turn you can bust through the intersection, turn around and burn it again to seal it off, and win on the next turn.
It usually takes me six or seven turns to win like this, five if I'm lucky with rolls and keep picking up 5's and 6's for command points.
Make sure you count your spaces carefully and think ahead to the next turn, not just the current one.

AndrewGPaul
18-09-2009, 07:27
Not that it makes a difference for this mission, but I don't think you use the chainfist marine for this mission.

chrixter
18-09-2009, 13:40
Once you succeed at getting your flamethrower into that hall (the one that approaches the north-most 4-way and is accessed via a door), only incredible luck or horrible mistakes on your part can stop you, because you can keep flaming that 4-way intersection as you approach it and it is the ONLY way into the final room. This keeps the Genestealers out while you creep forward. Then when it's your turn you can bust through the intersection, turn around and burn it again to seal it off, and win on the next turn.

unless there is a genestealer waiting in the control room and a few just outside the door... If only one is hiding in the control room you need:

run: 2AP
turn 90: 1AP
step backwards from intersection: 2AP
flame intersection: 2AP
turn 180: 2AP
have 2AP left so that you can flame the room as the genestealer therein attacks...
Tot: 11AP which is one more than you can have...

If there is also a genestealer just outside the control room to take care of :confused:

Perhaps I misscalculated something?

Edit: Could work if you mean from the point where you have the flamer starting the turn on a square in the 4-way and have loads on flamershots left... Still, there *will* be stealers in the corridor leading into the control room (as well as inside).

Caern
18-09-2009, 18:54
If there is also a genestealer just outside the control room to take care of :confused:

There usually isn't, since if you are really burning rubber down the hall right off the go the genestealers haven't got enough blips to put something in the control room *and* choke up the hallways (otherwise Sarge rampages right through with no worthy resistance) *and* come from behind in the south west (all of which free you up for other ways to tackle the objective). 'Course, I'll concede that you certainly might just have tougher opponents than I do and I'm getting off easy.

chrixter
18-09-2009, 21:01
'Course, I'll concede that you certainly might just have tougher opponents than I do and I'm getting off easy.

Can't really say - only thing I now is that my opponents have no problems with me - because I truly stink :cries: but less for each game :evilgrin: Nevertheless, SH is great fun!