PDA

View Full Version : Overwatch Question

Lord_Dante
14-09-2009, 12:40
Played my first game of Space Hulk yesterday and had a question.

Overwatch seemed really powerful so I'm not sure if I was using properly. For example I had a marine facing a queue of stealers so rather than only shoot twice I simply put him in overwatch and had him blast away as the moved towards him. I couldn't see a rule about not going into overwatch with stealers in view? Am I using this right or making a mistake?

Thanks

AndrewGPaul
14-09-2009, 12:52
You'd have been better shooting twice and then going into overwatch (or backing up one square and shooting, then going into overwatch, but apart from that yes, that's fine.

eriochrome
14-09-2009, 12:52
Did you remember the jamming rule and that to clear a jam it requires you to spend a command point which requires the stealer to move another space. You can then fire on the next space again but do not have the sustained fire bonus anymore. A stealer has about a 60% chance of getting 1 square but once sustained fire kicks in they start to run into trouble.

If you opponent just kept trying to run stealer up 6 squares at you one after another they will probably not make it as long as you have command points to clear the jam.

wilsongrahams
14-09-2009, 13:02
I tend to be lucky and in all twelve missions must have only jammed four or five times and then with long range to the targets.

Overwtach is powerful but the marine's can't sit there on overwatch all day long.

Lord_Dante
14-09-2009, 19:52
I was playing the second mission and from the sounds of it that sucks for stealers anyhow. I remembered the jam rule as well it just seemed too overpowered. Oh well :D

Thanks all for the help.

AFnord
14-09-2009, 20:01
The 2nd missions is one that often results in stalemates, or victory for the marines. If the stealers simply rush the marine lines, then the marines will be able to finish the mission with minimal losses. The game is better balanced (and more fun!) when the marine player has to advance towards an objective of some kind.

I tend to be lucky and in all twelve missions must have only jammed four or five times and then with long range to the targets.
Lucky you. I jammed 4 times with a single marine in a single turn in my last game (Lorenzo, learn how to use your bolter, darn it!). The 4th jam was what killed him. He did kill 2 stealers tough..

wilsongrahams
14-09-2009, 22:28
Lorenzo has done me proud and not died yet, however everytime he is my sergeant and i get 1 cp, i repick and always get a 1 again! I haven't had an assault cannon blow up on me yet either - my only triple being before a reload.

Overwatch is a good rule, but it's mission two's design that makes it easy for the marines. Other missions will have them struggling even with overlapping fire so don't try changing overwatch yet. Just treat the easy missions as a chance to play stealers and have a fight on your hands.