PDA

View Full Version : Genestealer/blip movement-question

Arselskjut
14-09-2009, 22:45
is it possible to move diagonal past corners so that you miss the middle-square?

example:
_ = air/void
x = free space
G = wished movement
G = original position for the genestealer
S = space Marine
___x____
___S____
x G x G x x
___G____
___x____
___x____

the question occured tonight when we played, the genestealers move like vermin across the board, we tried 3 times mission 1 (first time ever we played) and felt that the genestealers were really quick.

We found nothing about it in the rulebook, so we continued to play it that way, but perhaps thats wrong?

thx in advance.

Sinisterfence
14-09-2009, 22:55
the way I understand it is you have to stick to tile spaces, although it does make sense considering the Tyranids are supposed to be in the walls and floors, it shifts the balance even further to the 'Nids advantage than it already is!

eek107
14-09-2009, 22:55
Yes, I can see nothing that would disallow that, it's a diagonal move which they are allowed to make. As far as I can see it would only be restricted if the middle square were also occupied or blocked in some way.

AndrewGPaul
14-09-2009, 23:09
Note that Space Marines could also make that same diagonal move.

Arselskjut
15-09-2009, 01:27
Note that Space Marines could also make that same diagonal move.

but would end looking straight into the wall?
as the Gstealer can pivot on the spot 90 degree for free?

thx for all the answers!

eriochrome
15-09-2009, 01:35
Yes, you can do it but you are still in line of sight of the marine it he is where you show him. If he is one more back then you end the move out of sight so cannot be shot with overwatch.

For a farther back marine this is a good trick to do to break up the sustained fire on overwatch. You get 1 free square when he cannot see you and then a easier movement square for the first new sets of shots.

AndrewGPaul
15-09-2009, 12:19
but would end looking straight into the wall?
as the Gstealer can pivot on the spot 90 degree for free?

thx for all the answers!

Yes, the Marine would then have to spend another AP to turn 90 degrees.

TheDeadspace
15-09-2009, 19:18
For a farther back marine this is a good trick to do to break up the sustained fire on overwatch. You get 1 free square when he cannot see you and then a easier movement square for the first new sets of shots.

Not actually true. Just because there is an action in between the two shots, the criteria for Sustained Fire is still fulfilled, i.e. "...a second or subsequent overwatch shot at the same target."

While this trick does mean you avoid one overwatch shot, you'll still be hit on 5+ when you reemerge from the side corridor (assuming you carry on moving this turn).

eriochrome
15-09-2009, 19:29
Not actually true. Just because there is an action in between the two shots, the criteria for Sustained Fire is still fulfilled, i.e. "...a second or subsequent overwatch shot at the same target."

While this trick does mean you avoid one overwatch shot, you'll still be hit on 5+ when you reemerge from the side corridor (assuming you carry on moving this turn).

Good to know. Thanks