PDA

View Full Version : Air Ducts 3rd Edition

CRasterImage
15-09-2009, 19:00
(This post has changed since the start of the thread. So some of the earlier replies will not make much sense.)

Air Ducts 3rd Edition

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/6673/airductsample6.jpg

There are two styles.
One is rusty and moldy looking.
The other is blueish and similar to the orginal air ducts released for the 2nd edition of Space Hulk.

Here is the TileSystem add on: (it has both styles in it)
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1694147/AirDucts.zip

Unzip it into the TileSystem folder. It will say that you already have a SpaceHulk3E folder, but that is ok. Just say yes. It won't overwrite anything. It will just add some new files.

Then, in the TileSystem folder, open the "SpaceHulk3E.set" file using notepad.

Near the top, there is a section that says basetilesets. Add the airducts.set to the list of included sets like this:

basetilesets="SpaceHulk3E\gui.set,
SpaceHulk3E\Rooms.set,
SpaceHulk3E\Intersections.set,
SpaceHulk3E\Hallways.set,
SpaceHulk3E\Ends.set,
SpaceHulk3E\Spawns.set,
SpaceHulk3E\Markers.set,
SpaceHulk3E\Doors.set,
SpaceHulk3E\AirDucts.set">

(added part in red)

Do the same to the "SpaceHulk3E_2sets.set" file, if you use that too.

I wish there was a more elegant and automated way to add new stuff, but... we got what we got.

To create the airducts, download one of these pdf files and print it out:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1694147/airducts_rusty.pdf
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1694147/airducts_blue.pdf

Then cut out the bits. You can use them on just paper, if you want. But they might blow away when someone's sleeve passes nearby. It would be better to glue them to cardboard or something heavier than paper.

If you print out a second copy of the 2 page pdf, then you should update (double) the tile count values in AirDucts.set.

Also, if someone could verify that the squares are all 3 centimeters, I would appreciate it.

The set includes some turns and intersection tiles that the 2nd edition Space Hulk did not. None of the old 2nd Ed. missions will need them. I included them just in case someone wanted to get creative in their new map designs.

Be careful about adding too many air duct paths in your map. They give the Genestealer some tactical options, but you don't want to make the situation hopeless for the Marines. (Hopeless being defined as a situation where the Genestealers can move anywhere they want on the map with little or no exposure to the Marine's overwatch fire.)

grissom2006
15-09-2009, 19:02
Regular and Brown get my votes

goroul
15-09-2009, 19:10
I second regular and brown. All looking great though!

mattjgilbert
15-09-2009, 19:14
Yep - the top two are the best with the regular one edging it.

Charax
15-09-2009, 19:18
Blue, go for the traditional look - who cares what the tint in 2nd edition was? these aren't going to be used with 2nd edition.

commandergabriel
15-09-2009, 19:25
Blue. Traditional works well and there needs to be some kind of distinction that won't confuse players.

SentinelV
15-09-2009, 19:35
Having used the airducts in lots of missions it is very important that players know the difference between them and the normal rooms/corridors. So, I would definetely suggest a good contrast between the standard terain and the 'ducts. Brown looks really good as a choice, as there is none of that in the current set.

Hellfury
15-09-2009, 20:29
I prefer the traditional color of the blueish tint. But I do agree with Sentinel V that there are none in the current offering that show a major difference between corridors and air ducts.

Barring that, they look really great and hope to see the rest of the tiles from previous editions done up in the same way.

CRasterImage
15-09-2009, 20:36
Ok, it looks like I am going to make 2 versions.

Here are some further ideas:
- I made a brown version on the left. With a bit of green mottled in, to make it look disgusting. The glow is amber, rather than green.
- I made a blue version with a cyan glow.

Also, the two on the bottom have their walls blacked in. To make them look more narrow and, thus, different from normal hallways.

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/7435/airductsample.jpg

What next?
Stronger tints?
Other methods of making them look different than hallways?

Charax
15-09-2009, 20:49
the brown/green ones look fantastic, but they look more like sewers than *air* ducts. by all means include them in the set, but keep the blue with cyan glow for the air ducts themselves.

Znail
15-09-2009, 20:51
The top ones of the last batch look great! Its deffinitly better to tint the 'inside' as it made for depth. I didnt like the moldy ones above, but with this change so did it look quite nice. I dont like the bottom ones, despite that they are probobly more inline with how the other walls are made dark. The blue one with grey walls gets my vote.

Keep up the good work! It would be nice with all the special tiles needed for 1st edition made in a style that fits with the 3rd.

fiore hellheart
15-09-2009, 20:53
I think that the regular and brown are the best, and somebody said that they need to be substantially different to the normal ones so i though about adding a hazard stripe border and my edit or that image came out like this.

http://www.warseer.com/gallery/data/500/Air_Ducts.jpg

Just an idea but i thought it looks cool and helps distinguish the ducts.

EDIT: just seen the second lot and have to say that i really like the mouldy floored one, makes it look like nobody has been there and they used to have water in them. Still think the hazard striped may be a good way to distinguish them.

CRasterImage
15-09-2009, 21:29
I didn't like the black walls either.

I agree that the brown / green mottled look is a bit over the top and sewer-like. But then, the only thing that has been passing through those pipes for hundreds of years is stale, moist air and Genestealers...

I also agree that the walls need to be distinctive. The hazard stripes doesn't seem photo-realistic though.

How about this: I made the walls thinner. This helps to make them stand out compared to the hallways. It also seems more appropriate for duct material. Perhaps the wall bits could be a shade brighter to make them stand out.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/2672/airductsample3.jpg

scarletsquig
15-09-2009, 21:41
Making them a little thinner over all might be good, like the originals.. would make it clear that they're too small for the terminators to walk through, the textures you've used look great but they look a bit too much like corridors at the moment.

Znail
15-09-2009, 22:08
Hmm, thinner walls made them thinner, but it also made the walls less distinctive. I actualy think the thicker walls was more obviously tubes. I wouldnt be too worried about mixing them up in game thou as there will be pretty obvious with how wide the corridors are with the thick walls. It will probobly be easier to miss that on the map picture thou.

AndrewGPaul
15-09-2009, 22:37
Out of the ones you've posted, I like the blue ones best. My preference would be for a significantly lighter grey - to make the ducts look like aluminium tubing rather than iron and steel girders and plates.

This is what I mean, although it needs dulling down a bit, as it currently drowns out the floor sections, and it's maybe a little too cyan-tinted; I think I overdid fiddling the red levels.

Hellfury
16-09-2009, 00:32
I agree with scarlet squig about the textures. Or at least the one space of the air duct with the 45 degree reinforcements on it. That particular one is something that says 'corridor' and not 'air duct'.

CRasterImage
16-09-2009, 02:11
I am trying to keep the thinner walls, if I can.

I have tried to emphasize the roundness of the ducts in this latest version.
Though, looking at it now, I think it is too saturated with color. I need to knock that down a notch. Maybe the contrast could be reduced slightly too.

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/4941/airductsample4.jpg

Hellebore
16-09-2009, 02:12
I think that's the best one so far. It looks like a cylinder because of the centralised highlighting.

Nice.

Hellebore

CRasterImage
16-09-2009, 07:31
Thanks Hellebore. Ya, it seems architecturally different now. What do you guys think of the bulging pipe intersections. (signifying intersections with vertical pipes, not horizontal. So, they are not tactically significant. Just decoration) Do they look too weird?

Charax
16-09-2009, 09:34
No, they don't look weird, they're quite good and help emphasise that these aren't normal tiles.

feel like making some horizontal bends/intersections for those of us who don't always use stock tiles? :D

mattjgilbert
16-09-2009, 10:00
Those look much better. I like the pipe intersections too, they break up the uniformity of the pipe nicely. I say keep them.

zedmeister
16-09-2009, 10:18
I reckon they should be a lot darker. Perhaps increase the shadows while leaving the entry pieces brighter to give the effect of light seeping in.

CRasterImage
16-09-2009, 10:25
I was thinking about intersections. The original air ducts didn't have them and I wondered why? Perhaps GW didn't want people going too crazy with air ducts due to balance issues? Either way, I think I will make 2 of each type. 90 degree turns, 3 and 4 way intersections.

If people go too crazy in their designs and unbalance things in favor of the Genestealers, then we will have to rely on playtesting feedback to learn what constitutes going too far.

CRasterImage
16-09-2009, 10:28
I reckon they should be a lot darker. Perhaps increase the shadows while leaving the entry pieces brighter to give the effect of light seeping in.

I thought about adding the entry light effect, but there is a problem. The pipes need to be able to go next to each other as well as opening into hallways. The entry light effect would look wrong in locations where two pipes join in the middle of darkness.

grissom2006
16-09-2009, 11:33
Looking much better and no mistaking them as a floor tile.

CRasterImage
16-09-2009, 22:43
Ok, this is the selection of tiles I was thinking of including. (not counting the blue alternates)

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7717/airductsample5.jpg

Does that work ok?

It isn't fun designing something by committee. But I would hate to build something that most people despised.

grissom2006
16-09-2009, 23:16
Ok any second i may start going green with envy at you skills with the graphics RCI they certainly look the part. :D

CRasterImage
16-09-2009, 23:19
Here is the map "Stop the Tide" done up with 3rd edition tiles and air ducts.

Rusty style:
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4198/stopthetide.jpg

Blue style:
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6159/stopthetideblue.jpg

At first, I didn't care for the blue ones. I just included them due to popular demand.
But I am starting to warm up to them...

CRasterImage
16-09-2009, 23:20
Ok any second i may start going green with envy at you skills with the graphics RCI they certainly look the part. :D

Thanks! But I am not terribly artistic. This was mostly artwork stolen from the existing tiles and some photoshop filters and trickery.

grissom2006
16-09-2009, 23:33
Thanks! But I am not terribly artistic. This was mostly artwork stolen from the existing tiles and some photoshop filters and trickery.

Beats my photoshop skills at the mo.

Cpt. Drill
16-09-2009, 23:36
I think the most recent ones you made the brown and green filthy ones look incredibly good! If you can put those into an A4 pdf to scale I will definaty take those down a local print shop and get them put onto thick card for our games.

Thanks for all your hard work CRasterImage!

Znail
17-09-2009, 00:52
There is deffinitly no problem with mistaking them for normal corridors as its clear even when looking at the lo res pictures! What could be clearer thou is the squares for movement althou it looks ok when looking at the larger pictures, so it may not be a real problem, just thought I should mention my only complaint. Oh, I dont think we are doing this by commitee as I think while you are listening to our input so do I like to think that you are making the final choises yourself.

CRasterImage
17-09-2009, 01:22
Thanks! I think the result has been worth it. The feedback was crucial.

It is done! Or, at least, the first draft is.

I updated the root post at the beginning of the thread.

Znail
17-09-2009, 02:17
The ducts deffinitly help the stealer player. But that can be a good thing and you can use them to spice up existing missions, this is extra good for the old 1st and 2nd edition ones that can be too easy for the marines with the stronger overwatch. I think it may be a good idea to 'bid' how many tunnel squares you can handle as a marine.

Hmm, I guess I should look up the actual rules for them too. I asume that only stealers can enter them, but can you shoot into or through them?

Dangersaurus
17-09-2009, 03:12
I prefer the brown/green ones but I think the blue ones would work better... if that makes any sense?

AndrewGPaul
17-09-2009, 07:58
I'd leave out the control panel you've added to some of the tiles - they're air ducts, not Jeffries tubes. :) other than that, they look good.

CRasterImage
17-09-2009, 08:59
I'd leave out the control panel you've added to some of the tiles - they're air ducts, not Jeffries tubes. :) other than that, they look good.

Well, I kind of thougth of it this way: The vents were meant for direct human access. Otherwise, the Genestealers wouldn't fit in them either. Servitors and / or Tech Priests, with the help of a ladder, would be required to maintain them.

But they were not meant to be accessible by Astartes wearing Dreadnought armor. (Terminators)

If you were writing a novel, you could make an exception such as: One Marine gives another a boost so he can reach the vent. The Marine clambers into the duct and crawls 5 feet, ruining it at as he goes. At which point his weight causes the tube to tear free and the whole section falls one floor where it gets caught up in some power cables.

CRasterImage
17-09-2009, 19:15
The air duct rules had to be removed.

But a bit of googling should help you find them.

Once you do, then the only rule you need to change is the flamer rule. Since the rules were originally written for 2nd edition, they had a different view on how flamers worked back then. In 3rd edition, Hellfury decided that the area of effect should be the duct section. In the same way that 3rd edtion handles flaming map sections.

nedius
17-09-2009, 19:57
Just downloaded your stuff. A great little addition I may well make use of in some of my maps! Can I use them, maybe link them into mission pack downloads, with appropriate credits?

CRasterImage
17-09-2009, 20:23
Just go ahead in include them. You don't need a special credits section.

Leeman Russ
18-09-2009, 09:52
Looking good - I've printed mine onto glossy photo paper and they fit in just perfectly with the new board sections! Well done!

precinctomega
18-09-2009, 09:55
Brilliant work! Thank you so much for you efforts on this.

R.

CRasterImage
18-09-2009, 10:25
No problem! Thanks!

goroul
18-09-2009, 14:30
Superb! Love them. Thanks for your hard work.

zerodemon
22-03-2011, 06:08
Crud. Wanted to download these bad boys but the links no longer work.