PDA

View Full Version : New to Space Hulk, a question.

BigBossOgryn
17-09-2009, 09:28
Just recently picked up a copy of Space hulk and it looks awesome, nice figures and board pieces. I played about a dozen games with a group who are a mix of people who played previous editions and those that haven't and have an observation/question:

All the missions that I played (either using the 'stealers or marines) seemed to be really easy for the marines. There are too many long corridors where the marines can set overwatch and stuff the 'stealers. I literally had every single 'stealer model in the box on the board for mission 2, only attacking from two directions and not a single one made combat. What the hell? A couple of the veteran players suggested keeping the boards and missions the same but introducing air-ducts (again apparently) to join certain sections of the board allowing the 'stealers to bypass some of these death traps. Is this the solution to the marines easy run?

That is my only real complaint about the game to be honest, aside from the easiness of some of the missions it seems quite cool. The veteran players said that the previous editions were much closer fought games and the only conceivable difference is the presence of the air-ducts. We have swapped sides constantly and even made a point of putting the best Space Hulk players on one team and the newer players on the other. The newer players set a couple overwatches and that was end game for the 'stealers.

Thoughts?

Tyra_Nid
17-09-2009, 10:12
Mission Two is considered to be one that has benefited the Marines most from the rule changes.

Discussed thoroughly here. (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219643)

AFnord
17-09-2009, 12:50
Some groups are reporting that stealers dominate the game, others are reporting that marines are dominating it. With a few exceptions (mission 2 for an example), the game seems to be well balanced. Some groups are simply better at playing one side, so you could simply see who manages to complete the game in the shortest amount of turns/highest killcount/lowest amount of killed marines.

snottlebocket
17-09-2009, 15:09
A lot of genestealer players seem to be massing stealers and then making a rush down the corridor hoping for a jam when quite often you can cross an intersection (risking only a single overwatch shot) and take the long way around to attack them from a blind spot or force them to leave another teammember behind.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
17-09-2009, 17:29
Are you clearing jams instantly or skipping a round of Overwatch fire to clear them (the proper method)? This can make a difference and apparently many people are screwing this rule up. Also, once a jam is cleared, you must fire once before Sustained Fire takes effect again.

Lastly, are you moving Genestealers dianonally around empty corners? This makes a big difference as well and alot of new players I see don't take corners diagonally for whatever reason.

Just some thoughts as to why the Genestealers might be getting hosed. If not for these things, then it just seems no one in your group knows how to play them properly. :p

precinctomega
18-09-2009, 10:08
I have to say that I haven't found the marines to dominate any mission. Mission 1 is incredibly tough for the marines (I'm yet to see them win, yet [except once when we got the rules wrong]) and Mission 2 is noticeably easier for the marines than for the stealers, but that's it.

I have to agree with the posters above: if you're finding Mission 1, particularly, easy for the marines, you're doing something wrong.

R.

StefDa
18-09-2009, 10:29
Are you clearing jams instantly or skipping a round of Overwatch fire to clear them (the proper method)? This can make a difference and apparently many people are screwing this rule up. Also, once a jam is cleared, you must fire once before Sustained Fire takes effect again.

You mean:

1. Genestealer takes move action.
2. Terminator fires, rolls 4-5, misses.
3. Genestealer takes move action.
4. Terminator fires, rolls 5-5, killing 'stealer and jamming.
5. Second Genestealer takes move action.
6. Terminator clears jam with a command point.
7. Second Genestealer takes move action.
8. Terminator fires, ...

Which is the correct way.

AndrewGPaul
18-09-2009, 12:26
You mean:

8. Terminator fires, ...

To expand,
8. Terminator fires, rolls 5-4, misses.
9. Genestealer takes move action
10. Terminator fires, rolls 5-3, killing 'stealer.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
18-09-2009, 12:46
You mean:

8. Terminator fires, ...

How is that different from what I said?

Leeman Russ
18-09-2009, 12:56
He's just clarifying how Sustained Fire works after a Jam.

AndrewGPaul
18-09-2009, 16:44
Yeah, sorry, should have said. Because you spent CPs on clearing the jam, the sustained fire bonus 'resets'.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
18-09-2009, 16:52
Yeah, sorry, should have said. Because you spent CPs on clearing the jam, the sustained fire bonus 'resets'.

Right. That is a better way to state it than I did.

StefDa
18-09-2009, 22:18
How is that different from what I said?

This:

Are you clearing jams instantly or skipping a round of Overwatch fire to clear them

I just wanted to be sure. The words 'instantly' and 'round' required a clearer wording, I thought.

It was mostly because when I first played Space Hulk (this edition) we spent the CP to clear a jam right after rolling the double, which meant the Terminator could fire at the Genestealer immediately.

PS: Just to be 100 % sure everyone was on the same page, sorry :)

GrogsnotPowwabomba
18-09-2009, 22:22
Not sure that I understand how it wasn't clear, but no worries as long as we are all on the same page. :p

Dexter099
22-09-2009, 01:55
Mission 2 is so easy for the stealers, since if you read the mission rules you just have to stay back and ambush the termies in your spawn point.

Gdolkin
23-09-2009, 14:10
Mission 2 is so easy for the stealers, since if you read the mission rules you just have to stay back and ambush the termies in your spawn point.
But if he gets down the long corridors to within 6 squares of your spawn points, you're screwed, your blips are destroyed before they can enter the board.. I've just posted my confusions with Mission II in the thread dedicated to it, hopefully all will become clear..

wilsongrahams
23-09-2009, 15:01
The rules are clear enough in the rulebook as long as you notice that spending cp's in the stealer turn is only allowed in response to an action you haven't already responded to, whereas in the marine turn cp's can be spent at any time at all.

Gdolkin
23-09-2009, 15:07
What's that got to do with it then? That Mission 2 isn't as easy for the marines as people think it is because you're not actually allowed to sit back and spray AP-free Overwatch shots AND spend CP's on firing at the same genestealers if your Overwatch fire is ineffective? Is that kinda the point you're making?

wilsongrahams
23-09-2009, 15:16
Sorry, my point wasn't that it affected misison two at all, I was simply clarifying the point asked above about using a different marine to one seeing the genestealer and shooting on his overwatch - whether jammed or not, the cp IS allowed to be used on another marine in response to it even though you are still firing on overwatch with the spotting marine. Have I made my comment clearer or not? Lol.