PDA

View Full Version : Very simple question

Cpt. Drill
17-09-2009, 15:22
Okay I have scanned the rules and am still not sure and I think we are playing it right...

If a marine stands on the entry point for a genestealer... the last square on the board next to a little purple arrow. Does that mean no genestealers can spawn from the point?

It hasnt come up in several years but it did in a game between two beginner friends of mine at a crucial part of the game and they both had conflicting views. I thought that no genestealers would come on because there was no space for them to enter on...

Please tell me I have missed something in the rules.

eriochrome
17-09-2009, 16:53
They cannot enter the board within 6 squares of a marine but they can lurk just off the board with up to 3 blips at an entry point if not disallowed by mission until the marine moves away.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
17-09-2009, 17:11
They cannot enter the board within 6 squares of a marine but they can lurk just off the board with up to 3 blips at an entry point if not disallowed by mission until the marine moves away.

Not totally correct. They must lurk on the turn they are placed if the Marine is within 6 squares. After lurking the first turn they are free to move even if the Marine is within 6 squares.

To the original question, I really don't know. I think you can play either way as long as both agree beforehand until a FAQ addresses this.

wilsongrahams
17-09-2009, 17:11
They are forced to lurk for a turn after being placed but after that they can attack from off board after being converted first.

eriochrome
17-09-2009, 17:18
Can you convert from blip to stealer off the board? If you have to move on then convert then you have to wait one more turn to attack since the blip moved before being converted.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
17-09-2009, 17:24
Can you convert from blip to stealer off the board? If you have to move on then convert then you have to wait one more turn to attack since the blip moved before being converted.

You can convert off the board.

I don't mean to be rude, but all of this is clearly written in the rules...

nedius
17-09-2009, 19:44
Ok, having read the rules I missed the explanation for whether a genestealer could assault from off board if a marine was standing the the square that would be the point of entry... Have you a pg reference? Would be good to find it.

However, this is a quote from the 1st ed rules on the matter (3rd ed is pretty simmilar).

"If a Marine occupies the square directly adjacent to the entry area, Stealers who are not forced to lurk can attack him from the entry area in close assault combat, at the standard AP cost."

Cpt. Drill
17-09-2009, 19:58
"If a Marine occupies the square directly adjacent to the entry area, Stealers who are not forced to lurk can attack him from the entry area in close assault combat, at the standard AP cost."

Thanks man this is a really helpful response. I think it makes sense to play it this was instead of having the marine block the square. Now the marines will be a little more scared to stray next to some spawns.

Oh and GrogsnotPowwabomba take it easy... Apprently not all of us have read the rules aswell as you have. GOOD JOB :D

StefDa
17-09-2009, 20:19
I guess 3rd ed is the way to go until the word is out. Very nice to know. Would it then immediately enter if it killed the Marine occupying the square in question?

Bookwrak
17-09-2009, 20:23
Since there's no longer a marine within 6 squares, it would enter if it had the APs to come onto the board. Of course, unless I'm misremembering the rule, having a SM within 6 squares forces the stealers off the board to remain lurking, so none of them would have a chance to kill him no matter where he's standing.

Cpt. Drill
17-09-2009, 22:17
Since there's no longer a marine within 6 squares, it would enter if it had the APs to come onto the board. Of course, unless I'm misremembering the rule, having a SM within 6 squares forces the stealers off the board to remain lurking, so none of them would have a chance to kill him no matter where he's standing.

If there is a marine within six squares of a spawn the blip or genestealers only have to lurk for a turn then they may enter the turn after.

If the genestealer has no ap left... Unlikely as it would have to draw 5 combats and then win? (I will laugh the day it happens) I imagine it still counts as lurking for the rest of that turn.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
17-09-2009, 22:25
Thanks man this is a really helpful response. I think it makes sense to play it this was instead of having the marine block the square. Now the marines will be a little more scared to stray next to some spawns.

Oh and GrogsnotPowwabomba take it easy... Apprently not all of us have read the rules aswell as you have. GOOD JOB :D

It wasn't directed at you...your question was totally legite as it is not clear at all...but some of the others in this thread are easily answered if people would just bother to open the book and read it.

Cpt. Drill
17-09-2009, 22:44
It wasn't directed at you...your question was totally legite as it is not clear at all...but some of the others in this thread are easily answered if people would just bother to open the book and read it.

Okay apologies...

But its not uncommon for someone to miss something in the rules and then ask on these kinds of forums. I have definatly asked questions that have had paragraphs explaining them in the rules before.

Luckily the simple space hulk rules can pretty much be condensed down onto a beer mat so I read them in one sitting.