PDA

View Full Version : Creating missions based on Aliens

Photographer
19-09-2009, 20:36
1. Defending a room from genestealers pouring in-mission: hold onto location for certain number of turns.

2. Investigating downstairs for missing colonists but not being able to use any heavies-mission: escape to the above exit with certain no. of terminators.

3. Placing remote control in certain room-mission don't lose remote control and place it in room for one turn.

4. Rescuing terminator-mission: spend turn breaking terminator free, then escape.

5. Escaping from ship before it detonates.

6. Destroy eggs laid by broodlord and dodge the drones-mission:destroy certain no. of eggs.After destroying-say 3-the broodlord attacks.

7. Traitor amongst ranks-mission:hunt genestealers. Roll dice for each terminator. Highest roll is a traitor. Genestealer team operate him. Marines must halt him from escaping.

8. Collect data from a science lab and escape-mission: stay in room for 2 turns then escape.

snottlebocket
19-09-2009, 22:31
An escape mission could be interesting. Having a set number of turns to get of the board really turns up the pressure for the terminators.

If you create a map with multiple paths, you could so something with emergency doors slamming shut randomly as fires and explosions rip through the space hulk tripping ancient emergency protocols and short circuiting bulkheads. It would force the terminators to either spread their forces if they want to get enough terminators to the lifeboats or risk having to reroute the entire squad when doors slam shut ahead of their planned route.

Obviously the doors would have to be indestructable and inoperable in order for the mission to work.

WholeHazelNuts
19-09-2009, 22:58
5. Escaping from ship before it detonates.

How about removing tiles with each turn to represent sections going up in flames - sort of chasing the marines towards the escape pods etc...?

snottlebocket
20-09-2009, 07:08
How about removing tiles with each turn to represent sections going up in flames - sort of chasing the marines towards the escape pods etc...?

You know I thought about that but it actually helps the marines more than it hampers them. They need to go forwards anyway, having sections go up in flames just reduces the number of directions the genestealer player use to surround him.

Patriarch
20-09-2009, 10:36
You know I thought about that but it actually helps the marines more than it hampers them. They need to go forwards anyway, having sections go up in flames just reduces the number of directions the genestealer player use to surround him.

On average, a team of marines will struggle to complete one section a turn. However, if you leave it say, 5 turns before beginning to remove sections, it will add to the tension towards the game as the ship is disappearing at a faster rate than they can move. Sections could be removed automatically, or on a dice roll each turn.

This would give stealers 5 turns of grace to get behind them, but also leaves the marines with a threat in two directions for the rest of the game: certain fiery death behind them, and masses of stealers in front blocking the way to safety.

ml2sjw
20-09-2009, 11:22

Been done in a WD Campaign that included the generator room/gantry room tile, somewhere i have the rules for that. Will see if i can dig it up.

Also from memory don't underesiamte how bad exploding corridors are for spacemarines. Not being able to settle down on overwatch because the corridor will explode and having to charge the stealers is not goo in any way!

Weavetoucher
20-09-2009, 12:49
Back in 1st edition space hulk my friend and i had a rescue the c.a.t. mission but certain corridors and rooms were 'under the reactor' and weapon fire could start a chain reaction, basically every time you shot anything but a flamer you rolled again and if you got a hit again the board started blowing up, we started at one end of the whole board and removed one whole row of tiles nd anything on them each turn, certainly makes hte marines put their skates on.

goroul
20-09-2009, 14:19
Ace! Have been playing around with Guard combat teams replacing the termies (complete with one Sgt. Weaver;)) for a similar feel, love the ideas for some of the scenarios. Shall be looking forward to some missions.

Photographer
21-09-2009, 20:30
Alien 3

1.Locking up the genestealer-mission: there's a broodlord sneaking around. You need to lure it into one of the rooms and lock it. You have no heavies and the broodlord has to chase anyone within 6 tiles. You need someone in a control room who can lock the door. The broodlord has to chase a terminator rather than sit it out.

2.Inseminated with genestealer embryo:mission:genestealers can't touch an infected terminator unless they roll double no. on combat dice. The genestealer can burst out of terminator if he rolls double dice with any same no. before each turn. He needs to evacuate himself to the exit for the "company" to remove the embryo.

nedius
21-09-2009, 21:16
Any maps yet? I can't help but think that new tiles are needed... some bigger tiles, to represent Ops and medlab.

Wintertooth
21-09-2009, 23:41
I wouldn't remove tiles, I'd just consider them permanently heavy flamered, perhaps changing the kill roll from 2+ to 5+ or something.

The game is lethal enough, you don't have to add much more impetus to keep moving forward, and making it not guaranteed to be lethal means choices are a little more difficult, which is always good.

Stay in this tile for one more turn and there's a good chance you'll fry, but the risk might be worth covering that corridor on overwatch.

lagoon83
22-09-2009, 13:13
I was thinking the same thing, so I scribbled up a few missions. I'll post them up at some point.

One of my favourite parts, though, which you're more than welcome to borrow, is the idea of sentry guns - they played an awesome role in the director's cut of the movie, and I thought they'd be fun to adapt for Space Hulk.

Here are the rules, reproduced from one of the missions. The guns are useful to slow down a Genestealer advance, but very prone to being flanked or quickly running out of ammo. Also, the fact that you need to spend a command point (or keep a marine nearby) to set them on overwatch can throw up some tough decisions.

I'm currently working out a conversion, based on a Land Speeder assault cannon and a servo skull. I'll get pictures up if I ever get it done!

Auto-Sentries
When storming a Space Hulk, if forces are limited in number with too many directions to cover, Techmarines can supply squads of Terminators with Auto-Sentry weapons. These stowable assault cannons can be deployed to cover marines while they are carrying out vital missions, or to give them time to withdraw from an infested sector. Each weapon is controlled by an incorporated servo-skull, mono-tasked to pick out xenos creatures and destroy them unquestioningly. Their ammunition is limited, and they are easily destroyed if a Genestealer gets too close, but their massive potential for damage has aided many a squad of beleaguered marines.

An Auto-Sentry is an Object, as described in the rulebook. [In the mission I've written, two marines start the game carrying them.]

A Terminator may spend two action points to deploy an Auto-Sentry he is carrying. It is placed in the square directly in front of the terminator, facing in a direction chosen by the marine player.

The Auto-Sentry counts as being armed with an assault cannon, but can only fire on overwatch - command points cannot be used to fire it directly. It has no action points of its own, but one command point can be spent to set it on overwatch. Alternatively, a Terminator within six squares, which has line of site to the Auto-Sentry, can spend an action point to set it on overwatch.

The Auto-Sentry cannot be reloaded - once it has fired ten shots, its ammunition is expended. If any of its shooting rolls are a triple, it explodes in the same way as a regular assault cannon.

Genestealers cannot enter a square containing the Auto-Sentry. A Terminator which enters its square picks it up automatically.

In close combat, an Auto-Sentry is destroyed if any dice score a 5 or 6.