PDA

View Full Version : Some Simple Campaign rules

Hellebore
20-09-2009, 02:55
Ok, I thought it would be fun to create some campaign rules to use to play Space Hulk from start to finish.

This will probably require a more forgiving time limit, or the removal of the timer. But then, the timer and this campaign scheme both produce different feels, so I don't think that's much of a problem. Unless of course you want to be hardcore and try to keep track of XP, special abilities AND the time all at once.

If you do want to use the timer I suggest using it twice before the marine player ends his turn.

Each Space Marine model is recorded seperately on a sheet (preferrably using the name GW has given them). They start at 0 XP.

A Space Marine receives Xp for the following reasons:

1: Surviving the Mission. 5 XP.
2: Killing a Genestealer. 1 XP.

When a Space Marine accrues certain amounts of XP they receive a special skill or ability, rolled for randomly on the Advancement Table.

The Advancement Scheme is as follows:

Grizzled 10, Hardened 20, Veteran 30, Honoured 45, War Knight 60, Battle Master 75, Battle Lord 95, (each subsequent number is 20 higher than the previous one).

NOTE: the above is a rough draft of the scheme. It may need some slight modifications.

Advancement Table 2D6:
(If the character already has a skill rolled on the table or cannot use it (ie Claudio rolls Bolter Drill), roll again until he gets something he can use)

2 - Nerves of Steel: costs 1 ap to go on overwatch
3 - Extra Training: Receive 1 additional AP (may be taken twice up to a maximum of 6 ap)
4 - Weapon Master: +1 to melee dice (may be taken twice)
5-6 - Demolitions: When attacking a door or object you destroy it on a 4+
7-8 - Quick Reflexes: costs 1 ap to step backward
9 - Agile: costs 2 ap to move sideways one square
10 - Quickload: you may clear a jam for free whilst on overwatch but must spend an AP per jam during your next turn
11 - Bolter Drill: When enemy within 6 squares receive +1 to shooting dice (may be taken twice)
12 - Rapid Reaction: costs 1 ap to go on guard

Genestealers:
Obviously the more XP the marines get the harder it will be for the genestealer player. Thus for every 10 XP the marines have (as a whole), you receive 1 Infilitration Blip on the board. Use a genestealer model rather than a blip token though. Place them anywhere on the board more than 15 squares from the marine starting area (or from any marine in general if there are more than one). If this isn't possible they will lurk from any entry way.

When they are to be revealed roll a D3. That will be the number that appear. Neither player will know how many there are.

You may give up one of these Infilitration Blips to use broodguard instead. For every blip you sacrifice you receive an broodguard that adds +1 to its melee attacks and is only killed by the flamer on a 4+. Mark their bases or make note of which ones are broodguard.

You may give up three Infilitration Blips to create a broodlord (even if the mission doesn't allow for broodlords).

If a space marine is removed from the board he may have suffered serious injury. Roll a D6 on the Injury Table for each injured marine at the end of the game.

Injury Table

1 - Dead: The character is dead. You may still use the marine model but it will represent a different character with a new name and 0 starting XP.
2 - Seriously Injured: Permanently loses 1 AP. You may negate this by expending 15 XP to requisition a bionic enhancement. Remove 15 XP from the character's total. If this reduces it below the amount required for the number of advancements he has, he loses one (chosen by the genestealer player).
3-5 - Full Recovery: The character suffers no ill effects but does not receive +5 XP for surviving the mission.
6 - Survived against the Odds: The character has dragged himself through genestealer infested corridors to get back to safety. He receives 2D6 XP.

Ok. Now, if you're more interested in the tactical applications of space hulk the above is probably not for you.

If however you like a more immersive story telling theme to the game, then any feed back would be appreciated.

Hellebore

Weasel-Fierce
20-09-2009, 08:14
This looks pretty solid! Sounds like a fun way to play the missions. How would you represent the Broodguard in terms of models? Use a Tyranid Warrior perhaps?

CRasterImage
20-09-2009, 08:19
I really dig the idea. But it will be tricky to make missions of proper difficulty progression. You don't want later missions to be either impossible, or a cake walk.

I particularly dig the idea of treating dead marines as possibly just "down and out of action for now". Losing them in large numbers would be so destructive to the campaign's flow.

Weasel-Fierce
20-09-2009, 09:25
Agreed - past campaigns with named Marines have always been a little
'off' given the attrition most Marine squads suffer in a normal game of Space Hulk. This system is more akin to Mordheim/Necromunda. Perhaps you could introduce a Chapter Apothecary mechanic too. Maybe allowing a single re-roll on the injury chart after each mission?

CRasterImage
20-09-2009, 11:41
Here is a mission I was screwing around with. I think it would make more sense in a campaign, than it would by itself. Also, I doubt it is balanced. It hasn't been play-tested.

But I thow it out there for people to suck ideas out of. Feel free to copy it, steal it, cherry pick it or sneeze on it.

So, it goes like this: The mission is to reach the cargo elevator. (The entire room on the east side is an elevator). All marines must get into the marked area and someone needs to spend 1 AP to operate the elevator controls at location B.

Location A is a computer terminal that enables the elevator. Someone has to go upstairs and operate the computer, before the elevator can function. This would be tricky, considering the two genestealer spawn points near the ladder.

I think this mission would work best in a campaign since it would keep the marine player from attempting to leave Terminators behind. There would be pressure to get everybody on board.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2497/rushmm.jpg

Cpt. Drill
20-09-2009, 12:54
I Like the campaign rules, They will take a little longer to play test than maps but they looks quite good!

I like the Elevator map, I too have been trying to design an elevator map for a campaign. I want the marine player to have to either risk everyone by waiting for any stragglers to get in or leave befor everyone has made it and some poor doomed space marine has to stay behind. I like the idea of having it operated from outside that would cause you to make some tough choices also if the rest of the marines make it to the elevator then the guy left to flip the switch gets killed I can only imagine the annoyane on the smarine players face!

Hellebore
21-09-2009, 02:09
Well thanks guys.

Weasel Fierce, I imagine broodguard to be slightly larger than stealers but smaller than a broodlord. Sort of like his personal bodyguard.

I suppose you could represent them with genestealers using the larger warrior rending claw arms if you were keen to convert stuff. I'd be satisfied with a different colour scheme or some of the old RT era norn queen hive markings on the head.

I was thinking that the genestealer player could nominate a man of the match, one marine that performed above and beyond the call of duty (whether taken out of action or not). they would receive +1D6 XP for their efforts.

The extra blips/broodguard/lords for the stealers was an effort to try and balance the skills of the marines, but I'm sure it's not perfect. These rules were intended mainly for the missions in the current game, tying them together. But there is no reason you can't use it for other stuff, with custom designed boards.

Are there any comments on the XP scheme? I'm not sure how much XP should be accrued before an advance is had. I also wanted to make it clear that surviving the mission is extremely important for advancement, thus 5 XP just for that. Should it be more, less?

I think this should add another level of depth to the game and make it fun for everyone. You could even have two campaigns running concurently. The genestealer player swaps to use the marines, with their own XP advancement scheme as well. That way both players get their own campaign which will probably be different to each other.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to include XP for actually completeing the mission. :rolleyes:

I was thinking that each mission is a once only mission. You don't get redos in the Campaign. So successful missions grant bonus XP. I was thinking 1D6 XP per surviving space marine.

However, I think the missions should get harder whether the marines have completed previous ones or not. So I was thinking the stealer player receives 1 Infiltration Blip every 3rd mission. So at mission III you get 1, mission VI you have 2, mission IX 3, and mission XII 4.

That's in addition to the infiltration blips accrued through marine XP.

Hellebore

Cpt. Drill
20-10-2009, 22:37
Hi guys I have been wanting to run my own Exp. based game and was wondering if these rules have had much playstesting. They look pretty solid, but i was wondering about if there are any severe balancing issues.

I was thinking that maybe you could have the genestealer forces getting more of a bonus if the marines are all veterans.

Eg.

Total marine exp.

0-24 - Nothing
25-49 - +1 lurking blip already on the board
50-74 - +1 blip per turn and +1 lurking blip already on the board
75-99 - +2 blips and +2 lurking blips already on the board

and so on and so forth. The reason it goes up in 25's is in theory each member of the squad should have a level. but the numberes were just thoughts you could have smaller gaps and have more lesser advantages for the genestealers.

Just an idea to help keep it challenging for the marines.

Also possibly having if a the sergeant dies then the next most experienced character becomes the segeant.

nedius
21-10-2009, 08:41
I think you've hit a good idea on giving the genestealers a bonus. Each mission should be completeable with 'inexperienced' terminators, so having a squad of really experienced terminators would tip the balance in their favour.

Hellebore
30-10-2009, 12:50
Those all sound interesting Capt. Drill.

At the moment I've got the extra blips at 1 per every 10XP the marines have in total, so if they have 30 XP altogether then you get an additional 3 blips.

Sergeant upgrades seem pretty good.

There is only a 1:6 chance of a model actually dying so you don't really lose XP or get penalised often. Most of the time the squad's XP total will continue to go up.

Hellebore

arentol
19-11-2009, 00:09
A Space Marine receives Xp for the following reasons:

1: Surviving the Mission. 5 XP.
2: Killing a Genestealer. 1 XP.

There needs to be a limit on XP per mission from killing Genestealers. Otherwise if a mission turns out to be a little too easy the Marines could milk the mission for lots of XP they probably shouldn't be getting.

I suggest a limit of 5 per marine, and 15 total per squad. The marine player gets to choose how to assign kill XP, but he must keep track of the actual kills per marine (up to 5, at which point there is no need to track it anymore because of the limit), and can assign no more XP than that marine had kills. Injured marines can be assigned kill XP, but this is done BEFORE the injury roll, so if it turns out the the marine died that XP is lost.

I would also suggest that each marines XP limit per mission for Survival + Kills be equal to 10 minus his current Advancement level (Grizzled = 1, Hardened = 2, etc.). This will force more Kill XP to be assigned to the lower level marines since eventually higher level ones will stop getting kill XP all together (since the 5 for surviving will equal or exceed their limit.) This reflects the fact that the more experienced the marine gets the less he "learns" from any individual kill, and eventually (level 6+) the less he learns from surviving a mission at all. Of course if a level 7 marine, who is limited to 3xp/mission, doesn't survive he could still get some kill XP assigned by his player, up to 3, on the chance he will make his survival roll and get to keep the XP.

Obviously, a roll of 6 on the injury table would allow the marine to exceed this limit, simulating that even a serious veteran can learn a lot from nearly dying. Also if you use the rule that the Genestealer player gets to give an award to a marine then that would bypass the limit as well.

The Advancement Scheme is as follows:

Grizzled 10, Hardened 20, Veteran 30, Honoured 45, War Knight 60, Battle Master 75, Battle Lord 95, (each subsequent number is 20 higher than the previous one).

I would suggest this be changed to a set 12 per level scheme, something like the following:

Pts. needed - Level - Max xp/mission - Minimum missions to reach this level (without special awards).

0 - Recruit - 10 - 0
12 - Trained - 9 - 2
24 - Experienced - 3
36 - Grizzled - 7 - 4
48 - Hardened - 6 - 6
60 - Veteran - 5 - 8
72 - Honoured - 4 - 10
84 - War Knight - 3 - 13
96 - Battle Master - 2 - 17
108 - Battle Lord - 1 - 23
120 - Dreadnaught? - 0 - 34

(or maybe 10, or eve 15, per level.. testing is obviously needed).

When combined with the XP limits above this should provide a balanced growth pattern, allowing marines to rapidly rise to level 2 or 3, but slow down quickly thereafter, while making the XP needed for a new level clear and simple.
Also this make the "Seriously Injured" result more consistent and predictable. It could be set at a cost of 10xp to regain the AP, meaning you will always lose one Advancement. However, 2d6, or even 3d6, for the cost of the bionic implant might also be a good idea. After all bionics aren't really going to all be the same "price", or you could argue that one guy who is injured might just need a new bionic foot while another needs both legs and one arm fully replaced.

Advancement Table 2D6:
(If the character already has a skill rolled on the table or cannot use it (ie Claudio rolls Bolter Drill), roll again until he gets something he can use)

3 - Extra Training: Receive 1 additional AP (may be taken twice up to a maximum of 6 ap)
7-8 - Quick Reflexes: costs 1 ap to step backward
9 - Agile: costs 2 ap to move sideways one square
10 - Quickload: you may clear a jam for free whilst on overwatch but must spend an AP per jam during your next turn
11 - Bolter Drill: When enemy within 6 squares receive +1 to shooting dice (may be taken twice)

I would suggest the chart below for balance. (with percentage change for each result added):

2 - 3 Nerves of Steel: costs 1 ap to go on overwatch (8.34%)
4 - Extra Training: Receive 1 additional AP (may be taken twice up to a maximum of 6 ap) (8.33%)
5 - Weapon Master: +1 to melee dice (may be taken twice) (11.11%)
6 - Demolitions: When attacking a door or object you destroy it on a 4+ (13.89%)
7 - Quick Reflexes: costs 1 ap to step backward (16.67%)
8 - Agile: costs 2 ap to move sideways one square (13.89%)
9 - Quickload: you may clear a jam for free whilst on overwatch but must spend an AP per jam during your next turn (11.11%)
10 - Bolter Drill: When enemy within 6 squares receive +1 to shooting dice (may be taken twice) (8.33%)
11-12 - Rapid Reaction: costs 1 ap to go on guard (8.34%)

Alternatively, if you want to keep your odds a little closer to what you listed originally while still being balanced you could do this:

7 - Agile: costs 2 ap to move sideways one square
8-9 - Quick Reflexes: costs 1 ap to step backward

I would also suggest that Bolter Drill, Weapon Master, and Extra Training all be "(must be taken twice if rolled)". Otherwise higher level marines with lots of the common skills may use the fact they already have 1 point in one of those skills (e.g. Weapon Master) to keep on rolling and rolling after they get a 4. This would greatly increase their odds of getting a 2, 3, 11, or 12, and give the player too much control over something that should be random (this is even more the case with my first suggested change to the chart).

I just thought of a new skill that could be added to the Advancement Table. It would be best though if it took the name of one of the skills already on the table though, and that skill got a new name:

Nerves of Steel: When on overwatch the marine can choose whether to fire at closing doors (players choice)
Guardian: costs 1 ap to go on overwatch

Most people agree the "fluff" reasoning behind a marine on overwatch shooting at a closing door is because he is very nervous and knows that if he fails to kill whatever comes at him the whole squad could die. So he shoots at ANYTHING that moves. Therefore Nerves of Steel is the perfect term for a marine that keeps his cool and doesn't shoot at doors just because they move. The best I can come up with off the top of my head as a replacement for the old Nerves of Steel is Guardian, or Protector or similar. Maybe to make it more of an attribute it could be "Natural Guardian". Not sure really, and would be happy too if someone came up with another name for my idea that works instead. Either way.